Chapter 4

Find the Voice Within
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 4

While the children were occupied with their activities, Wendy took the time to do a little bit of research on selective mutism on the internet and most of what she had found were basically the same where in the situation, the kids were inaudible in social situation but would talk just fine with close families.

However, looking at Yerim, Wendy was sure she wasn’t opted out in the situation but rather not being able to do so. It seems like something was hindering her from talking. The girl gave out a blank expression whenever she met someone new or whenever she’s alone. It felt like she knew how to cover herself from being known. If it was opted out, kids would literally show fear in the expression but not Yerim.

Another proof was that Wendy had learned was that if the children were being opted out, they would clearly being active to avoid the situation like school where it would bring on their mutism. Once again, Yerim didn’t show any of that sign.

Wendy sighed as she felt a little lost while closing her eyes for a bit. She clearly haven’t got a clue of where did that selective mutism that they claimed Yerim had come from? What had been trigger on her? Then Wendy opened her eyes immediately when she thought on something.

‘How come I only think of that now?’

It was the thought on digging into Yerim past history. Maybe if she could found out her past history that may be linked to her mutism then Wendy surely had the best tool to help her out immediately. She was set to find that then. Switching off her laptop, she then watched Yerim intently. Joy being the one in the same group as Yerim, had also trying her best to communicate and help Yerim out.

“Yes, Yerim. That’s it. No rush okay, as long as we softly put on top on this card, we’ll be safe and then we surely can win. Look at Seulgi, she’s struggling with Saeron,” Joy pointed at the other group while giggling but that’s not the point.

Wendy was shocked when she caught a glimpse of smile Yerim gave out though only for a short second. She couldn’t believe her own eyes. She couldn’t believe she caught Yerim smile and it was a bit mischievous.

Was that it? Is it because she lack of attention and friends previously? Well it’s obvious when she decided to stop talking. Or maybe feel excruciatingly self-conscious? Whatever it was, it’s definitely tough to fathom someone who didn’t speak. Just little clues given and that’s it.

Wendy was deep in thought until Joy shouted while jumping in glee dragging Yerim with her, “YEAYYYYYYY!!!!! WE FINISHED!!! MISS WENDY WE WIN!! RIGHT, YERIM?”

Wendy couldn’t help smiling at them but her eyes were deeply focus on Yerim and studied the little girl’s gestures. She definitely took interest in teamwork.

“NOOOO!!!!!” Seulgi cried, “IT CAN’T BE! PARK JOY CAN NEVER WIN OVER ME!”

Wendy chuckled seeing Seulgi and said, “Okay, Seulgi. You need to stop being so over dramatic. Perhaps you could join in the drama club next semester when you’re good to join the mainstream class.”

Seulgi huffed and puffed while Joy grinned looking at Seulgi’s defeated face.

Wendy opened her drawer and pulled out the chocolate bar to give it to both Joy and Yerim as the present for completing their task for that morning.

“Thank you, Miss Wendy,” Joy said as she took the chocolate bar from Wendy happily.

Yerim took the chocolate bar from Wendy while looking down on the floor without saying anything.

“SAY THANK YOU!” Seulgi said in a loud voice which she didn’t mean it and it startled Yerim almost immediately but she looked at Seulgi with that blank expression. Again.

“Seulgi, tone down your voice and it’s okay, little Yerim. Don’t feel afraid of Seulgi. She’s just too hyperactive,” Wendy said while patting her head lightly before gesture her to her seat.

“Alright, kids,” Wendy started while facing her students, “Now, I’m going to talk about the topic ‘different’. Remember when I ask you to write about what makes you different from each other?”

The kid nodded eagerly except for Yerim whose face showed confusion.

“Yerim, it’s okay dear. You only need to listen since you weren’t here yet when they did the project,” Wendy said while giving out a smile to little Yerim.

“Shall we start from Kang Seulgi?”

“Me? No! Not me, Miss Wendy. Why me?” Seulgi groaned.

The others chuckled along with Wendy while she replied, “Since you’re so loud just now so now will be your chance. Come on, everyone! Give a round of applause to Seulgi.”

Everyone clapped happily meaning that Wendy was intended to let Seulgi present her project rather than choosing any of them to do it first which was a relief for them.

“Fineeeeee,” Seulgi huffed once more and walked to the front before she turned around and faced her classmates.

“The first word I wrote the other days was Bear,” Seulgi started.

“I knew it!” Joy said.

“Shut up, Joy! Let me do my presentation,” Seulgi replied deadpanned.

“Girls, come on now. Stop fighting or else I’m going to let you do Mathematics this afternoon,” Wendy warned and all of them shut it instantly.

Wendy turned back to Seulgi and asked, “Why a bear, Seulgi?”

“Because I always gives out a bear hug people who need it like this,” Seulgi then ran towards Wendy and gave her bear hug and then she ran to Yerim to give her bear hug too which once more surprised Yerim but this time, she didn’t have the blank expression on. Wendy took note of that.

“Nice one, Seulgi. Continue on to the next word,” Wendy said while observing her class.

The morning class went well and Wendy had let them out a minute early for lunch and she saw that Joy had invited Yerim to join them for lunch which she accepted it and walked with them though there’s still no progression to see her talk.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

 

Wendy too went to the office and looked for Jokwon and they sat down in the pantry.

“So what’s up, Wen?” Jokwon started while he bit out his sandwich.

“Something’s odd about the new girl,” Wendy said while sipping on her favorite drink. Hot chocolate.

“Why did you say it? How so?” Jokwon asked as he stopped eating while focusing on Wendy now.

“I don’t know. She don’t give out her blank expression to everything. It’s only on certain thing. That’s what I had noticed when I conducted the class this morning.”

“Like? Oooooohhhh! You Sherlock Holmes!” Jokwon grinned at his friend knowing that his friend somehow could figure something out as quick like what he had expected.

“She gave it when Seulgi shouted not on purpose.”

“You meant to say that she get shouted before this and that’s what it makes her like what she is now?” Jokwon guessed.

“I’m not saying anything but just a clue to get a start to find why she is like that,” Wendy stated.

“So?”

“So what?”

“What are you going to do?”

“Duh, Kwon! Of course I’m going to observe more and also, I’m going to give a call to her caretaker, Miss Kahi, to ask her a few questions which I’m going to do now,” Wendy said as she waved goodbye to Jokwon leaving him in the pantry alone to enjoy his lunch which he didn’t mind at all.

While walking towards the recep

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter