Myungsoo

Behind Closed Doors

“One frappuccino!” He yelled, returning the smile at his customer who accepted the drink, “Have a nice day!” He said brightly, before his smile dropped as the customer left. He sighed, looking around as he observed the busy street, in contrast to his empty store. People busily bustling by, some looking into the store, but most strolling by, too engrossed in their thoughts or their phones to notice their surroundings. The weather might have something to do with the slow flow of customers today as well. In the summer, there were hordes of people coming in, a line that sometimes went near the door, as people waited for a handmade concoction to chase away the heat. However, in the middle of November, with temperatures around 50 degrees? WIshful thinking. Sure, they sold hot coffee and espressos and lattes, but it was still cold, and people were busy with their own lives. But there was always a group of regulars that always made the time of their day to come in and order something, even if it was just a small cookie. Speaking of whom, there was one coming in right now.

 

“Myungsoo! How are you? I’ve missed you!” a jolly voice called from the store door.

 

“Jiyeon-shii! Hello! I’m doing fine, thanks for asking!” Myungsoo smiled at the middle-aged woman, whose small brown eyes stared up at the hand-written chalkboard behind Myungsoo and the counter, squinting to try and read the choices.

 

“Seriously, noona, where are your glasses? Squinting is bad for you!” Myungsoo chided the small grey-haired woman.

 

“Aishh, this little rascal.” She refocused her eyes to look at Myungsoo, staring at him warmly. “You know how I feel about those glasses! They are in the ugliest frames! Some wire frame. It honestly looks like the wires you use for construction or something.”

 

“But you’re already so lovely. Nothing can take away from your beauty.” Myungsoo immediately replied, honesty shining from his eyes.

 

Jiyeon blushed and waved her hand. “Awww Myungsoo. You’re making me blush. Honestly, if you were my age, I would have married you in a heartbeat. Oh, and if you weren’t gay. My life would be complete.” She sighed, running her fingers through her hair. “Such a cruel world. Keeping me away from the one I was meant to be!”  She shook her fist towards the sky. “Curse you!”

 

Myungsoo looked away, pretending to be embarrassed, and reached from behind the counter to quickly push her hand down. “Ok noona, calm down. Wouldn’t want you to make a scene here.” Both of them chuckled briefly before Myungsoo put on a serious expression on his face. His gaze dropped towards Jiyeon’s hand, still holding his own. He gently grasped it, his right hand affectionately brushing her knuckles. “Noona, I...I just want to say...thank you.” He looked up at her and saw her about to wave him off. “No seriously, I...I need to finish this. Noona, you have been like family to me, to Sunggyu-hyung, Woohyun-hyung too. You’ve still gone to this cafe every day for the past year and a half sometimes more than once a day, buying something, just to try and keep us afloat. And… that ddeokbokki fundraised you had last year to raise money for us. A lot of people left us when Woohyun-hyung got sick, but you...you stuck by us, and you stood by us.  You keep telling people to stop by and try our stuff, trying to increase our publicity.I’m really sorry we keep bugging you about stuff, and I’m really sorry we have grown so dependent on you. So, thank you. And I...I really do appreciate it. On behalf of Sunggyu-hyung, Woohyun-hyung, and me, I really thank you. I...thank you...Jiyeon-noona.” He finished in a whisper, his head bowed down in respect.

 

Jiyeon was quiet during Myungsoo’s emotional speech.  She didn’t know what to say. So she simply reached towards Myungsoo and cupped his cheeks, the soft touch prompting him to look up at her. She saw the tears dripping from his dark brown eyes and smiled sadly. Her thumbs moved to wipe the salty tears away.

 

“Myungsoo...look at me. Really, look at me.” She leaned forward and planted a kiss on the top of his head before moving back and looking deep into his eyes. “Do I look like I’m bothered? Myungsoo, you know that you and your brothers will always have a special place in my heart. You boys are like the sons I’ve never had. You three are honestly some of the best people I have ever met in my life. Your brothers are so brave, marrying in the name of love. And for all the right reasons! They never cared what people thought of them; they were not afraid to show how much they cared for one another. And you, you Myungsoo-ah, you are following in their footsteps, blossoming into a wonderful gentleman, worrying about others. You are a beautiful person, inside and out. Sunggyu and Woohyun too, and I’m so happy for that.”

 

She dropped her hands, using them to wipe her own tears away, and took a shaky breath before continuing,”it’s sad. The good ones always die young. Woohyun fits this statement. Myungsoo-ah, you have no reason to thank me, and you have no reason to be sorry. I am doing this not because of pity, but because I want to.I’m doing this because I know what it feels like to have someone close to you, someone you love, in a place where you can’t reach them. It hurts, and it’s heartbreaking. Believe me, I know. And I know how important it is to have people truly there for you. I want to do everything I can to help you guys, to make the best of a terrible situation. You guys need some light, some joy, and I am more than happy to help you in anyway I can. So don’t you ever apologize for “inconveniencing” because trust me, this is a good way to spend my time, and I would do it again and again and again.” Jiyeon finished resolutely, cracking a small smile. “Ok? No more tears, Myungsoo. What will the customers think if they see the hot barista crying with a runny nose and puffy eyes?” she asked jokingly, watery smiles appearing on both of their faces.

 

As if on cue, a familiar chime was heard, and Myungsoo instantly wiped away the tears and bowed, “Welcome to- Oh Hyung!” He exclaimed, his voice cracking slightly. He cleared his throat and ran behind the counter to wipe away any remnants of tears left, before sniffing loudly and clearing his throat. “So, I’ve cleaned the floors,” He said before mumbling, “Twice.” He turned around to see the untouched racks of cake, “I’m predicting that sales would increase later on in the day when the weather is less...extreme.” He rambled, not giving a chance for his brother to question his croaky voice.

 

“Myungsoo.” He whispered.

 

“And, I’ve also washed the dishes and the-”

 

“Myungsoo.” The elder said slightly louder, instantly silencing the said man. He smiled, “Thank you.”

 

“How’s Woohyun?”

 

He sighed before shrugging, “I don’t know.” He murmured, “I just want him to wake up.”

 

“Sunggyu…” Myungsoo began, unable to form any words. His tongue felt like it had been tied in knots and his throat felt dry. It was like he wasn’t able to even talk. Jiyeon, still in front of the counter, looked sad and worried upon hearing the news. She walked over towards Sunggyu, and immediately gave him a brief tight hug before letting go and moving to the side. Sunggyu grasped Jiyeon’s small, wrinkled hands and squeezed affectionately in thanks.


 

Sunggyu let out a forced chuckle before walking over to his brother and patting his back loudly, “Anyways, don’t you have work soon?” He asked, checking the time on his watch.

 

“Oh yeah.” He replied, forming his lips into an ‘o’ shape in realisation, proceeding to rip away his apron and folding it neatly onto the countertop, “Like I said, I’ve already organised everything, so don’t worry much!” He yelled, before sprinting out the door. With a short chuckle, Sunggyu turned to the table behind him, reaching for a glass before he heard the door abruptly opened once again, revealing a dishevelled looking Myungsoo who huffed and grinned sheepishly as he ran behind the counter, and kneeling down for a second. He popped back up, a set of forgotten car keys in his hand, and he raced out the door, but not before he let out a raspy, “Bye Hyung, I’ll see you tonight!” Before leaving once again.

 

Sunggyu rolled his eyes and grabbed the apron Myungsoo left on the counter, only for it to be snatched out of his hands. He opened his mouth to curse before realizing it was Jiyeon who grabbed it. “Noona, what are you doing? The cafe is still open, and I have to man the register.”

 

“Correction, YOU have to sleep. I’ll man the register.”

 

Sunggyu vehemently shook his head, “No thanks! I really appreciate the offer, but I’ll be fine. Honest!”

 

“Uh-huh...” Jiyeon looked at Sunggyu incredulously. “What time did you sleep last night?”

 

Sunggyu scratched the back of his head, “I...I think 4 in the morning. I didn’t want to sleep, just in case Woohyun woke up.”

 

“Well you, young man, are going into the storage room and go to sleep this instant! You look exhausted, and like you’re about to trip on your own feet from fatigue. Customers do not want to see a passed out cashier, drooling on the counter. Not very sanitary...or professional.  I’m in charge of this place for at LEAST the next 3 hours. Go! Shoo!” Seeing Sunggyu’s hesitancy, she narrowed her eyes, ‘Or do you need me to chase you in there with a broom” He grimaced and immediately lowered his head, “Ok OK! I’ll go take a nap, but only for an hour! He walked towards the gray door marked “Employees Only” grumbling under his breath about how bossy a particular customer was. Jiyeon smirked and lightly kicked him in the rear, earning a pained yelp. “And don’t you complain! Oh, and give me your cell phone!” Sunggyu sighed, knowing that there was no way he was going to get out of this, slapping his iPhone into the outstretched hand. The door shut behind him, and Jiyeon heard a squeak from inside, Sunggyu laying on the old cot. She rolled her eyes, putting the cellphone under the counter, but making sure the ringer was on, and tying the black apron around her waist. She stood behind the counter, ready for the day’s activities. As she looked around at the empty cafe, she said a quiet prayer and looked up at the ceiling and thought, “Whoever is out there, please, watch over these 3 boys. They deserve all the happiness in the world. I beg you, make sure they get it. Please, no matter what.”

 

~

 

“A B C D E F, and what comes after that?”

 

“G!”

 

“Good job everyone!” Myungsoo praised as he smiled widely at the children who were sitting obediently on the floor.

 

“Why is it G, Mr Kim?”

 

“U-Uh, why do you think it’s G, Soohee” Myungsoo asked, with a smile, praying that she had an answer.

 

“I think it’s before F and G are best friends, just like me and Joosun, that’s what they want to always be next to each other.” She replied, satisfied with her answer.

 

Silently cooing at her innocence, Myungsoo chuckled and nodded, “Yes, that’s exactly why. You’re such a smart girl.” He replied.

 

“But Mr Kim!” Another exclaimed.

 

“Yes, Hyesun?”

 

“What about H? Are they not friends with F and G?” She asked, her eyes glistening in sadness.

 

“A-Ah no, they’re all friends. The alphabets are all friends.That’s why we will have those letters forever and ever” He tried, “A-Anyways, kids, it’s time to play outside!” He announced, clapping his hands, successfully averting their attentions to the playground outside. The class cheered in excitement and immediately got up from their seats on the carpet. He stood up, following the 4 year olds outside, before a loud scream was heard. “Soohee!” He shouted, hurrying towards the fallen girl.

 

“My knee, Mr Kim!” She whimpered.

 

“Shh, don’t cry.” He lulled soothingly.

 

“I-I’m not crying.” She responded, wiping away the tears that kept falling.

 

“You’re such a brave girl.” He encouragingly said, gently cleaning the wound and applying a bandage from his pocket on it, “You’re a big girl now hey?” He smiled, “I wish I was as strong as you.”

 

Soohee giggled, still wiping away her tears, “It doesn’t hurt, Teacher. Mummy says that I’m a strong girl too.” She hiccuped.

 

“Then she’s definitely right about that. Your mum is a smart woman!” Soohee beamed brightly at her teacher’s words, but still looked unsure about something. Seeing her expression, Myungsoo gently asked, “Hey, what’s wrong?”

 

Soohee bit her bottom lip, “I...I know I am a strong girl, a big girl now, but...can...can you please kiss my boo boo better?” she asked, the second half quietly.

 

Myungsoo gave her a huge smile, “Of course sweetie! Even the strongest person needs a kiss now and then, and you definitely deserve one!” He planted a huge but gentle kiss on her wounded knee. “Better?”

 

She nodded happily. “Yes! Thank you, Mr. Kim.” She hopped up excitedly and ran off, ready to play with her friends. “Be careful!”, he called after her.

 

“You sure do have this whole teacher thing going your way, hey?” A voice said from behind him.

 

He turned, “Jongwoon!” He exclaimed, letting out a small smile, “Someone’s a little late.” He teased.

 

“Hey, I was on time, for your information.” He laughed, “I just had to speak with some of their parents.”

 

“Alright.” Myungsoo replied, still not believing his words.

 

“Aish, this guy.” He grinned, pushing him slightly, “So how are the kids.”

 

“They’re perfect.” He smiled, staring at them squealing in content, “Too smart for their own good.” He added.

 

“Yeah, I know.” Jongwoon laughed, before a frown became more apparent, “But I meant back at home.” He said, in a lower voice.

 

Myungsoo looked down, fiddling slightly with the hem of his shirt, “They’re okay.” He began, “Sunggyu looks like he hasn’t slept in ten years and Woohyun’s been sleeping for like ten years.”

 

The other sighed deeply, “Myungsoo…”

 

“I really feel like I’m just another burden to Hyung. I’m just another mouth to feed.” He added, “But how am I supposed to tell him that I want to leave, when I’m the only family that’s conscious. Sunggyu-hyung needs all the support he can get, and..if I leave, it just feels like I’m abandoning him, leaving him alone in his darkest moment.”

 

“You are definitely not a burden to him. I’ve only met him a few times, but in those few times, the only things he say are about how much you mean to him.” Myungsoo sighed, feeling his friend’s hand squeeze his shoulder in comfort, “He loves you, Myungsoo. You’re his brother, not a burden.”

 

“Teacher Kim!” The said man turned and instantly smiled widely, as he crouched down to become eye level to the girl in front of him.

 

“What is it, Haesung?”

 

The girl slowed down, huffing slightly to catch her breath before holding up a drooping purple flower, “This is for you!” She beamed, before kissing her teacher’s cheek. “Mommy said that if Haesunggie likes someone she should give them flowers, not punches!” She smiled widely, showing her teeth.

 

“Wow! I love it!” Myungsoo gasped, accepting the flower, “It’s beautiful! Just like Haesung.” He smiled, pinching her cheeks slightly, making her giggle happily. “Thank you so much!” He laughed, before the girl ran back to her friends in glee, probably to squeal about her favorite teacher accepting her gift.

 

“Wow!” Jongwoon mocked, “Getting so many confessions already.”

 

Myungsoo rolled his eyes in amusement, “It’s called being nice. Maybe you should try it someday.”

 

The other grabbed his chest, muttering a small ‘ouch’, before following Myungsoo who had grabbed a broom and began sweeping the floor.

 

“Ahh, come on! Just let the cleaners do that. That is their job after all.” Myungsoo paused and gave the man a judging look, “Your job is to arrive on time but you’re not doing it, so I think it’s safe to say that I can do what isn’t my job too.” He retorted, before continuing to clean up.

 

“Ouch.” Jongwoon repeated before running towards the children. Myungsoo laughed, as he heard the 4 year olds scream louder as they tried to avoid the other teacher, some even running indoors and hugging onto his legs tightly.

 

A loud ringing blared out, interrupting the contentful atmosphere, as Myungsoo exchanged a concerned look with Jongwoon, knowing that no one would call unless it had been an emergency, and the only emergency these days was something about his two hyungs.

 

“Rawrrr!” Jongwoon yelled, making the quiet children scream loudly once again, as they detached themselves from Myungsoo’s leg and ran back outside.

 

“Thank you.” Myungsoo said, making the other nod slightly.

 

“Just take as long as you want.” He smiled.

 

Once he had found a quiet place, with slight hesitation, Myungsoo pulled the phone to his ear, “Hello?”

 

“S-Soo? Myungsoo?”

 

“Sunggyu?” He asked, checking the caller ID, “Why are you on an unknown number?”

 

“Don’t worry about that, I-I need you to look after the store, can you do that?”

 

“But I’m at work, I-”

 

“I know, but I called and they said you can take the evening off. P-Please, I need you to look after it.”

 

“Wait, where are you going? Hello? Sunggyu?” He asked, trying to hear the man through the poor reception service.

 

“I-I need to go somewhere right now. It’s urgent. I-I’ll tell you later. But please come as soon as possible. I’m sorry. I love you.” He said, before the line cut off.

 

“Sunggyu? Hello?” He yelled into the phone, but to no avail.  Myungsoo looked around, his heart hammering in his chest. In the playground, surrounded by laughing and cheerful toddlers, his mind began to conjure up worst case scenarios that could have happened. In the past, he would have just shrugged it off, but now. With Woohyun in the hospital...was Sunggyu losing his mind? Myungsoo shook his head, No, Sunggyu was strong, especially mentally. He knew that Sunggyu would stay strong for his Woohyun. But the raw fear, the anguish and nervousness dripping from his words, and the foreign words of ‘I love you’ he had never heard his brother say before, Myungsoo knew that something was wrong, and if his intuitions were correct, he believed that Sunggyu’s life was also on the line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~A/N

yvonnenguyen2297: Hello all! I am so sorry for leaving you guys for so long! But now that I just started break last friday and don't have class until the end of January, that means more time to write! Which is great! This chapter,we actually wrote it like a month ago, but it was more like an idea that we had at some ungodly hour. We just had to get it down. Honestly, we spazz about the story on Twitter, and then we remember that we have to write it, so here it is! We're trying to get more into the main plot of the story, and Sungyeol is probably, more than likely, gonna come in the next chapter! And it's gonna be great! well, maybe not for Sunggyu, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Like always, thanks for reading, and comment/subscribe! We love getting feedback and hearing your thoughts!

fishyyyy137: HIII long time no see xD i dont really have a reason as to why i didnt do anything because my holidays began last month hahaah. I guess I'm just super lazy T.T Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed it :) Please do comment and let us know anything. We have really exciting plots and scenes ahead but we must right them down....very soon! Alright i think ive said everything....Thabk you so much for reading!!! Stay safe and well till next time ^-^