The bodyguard

Behind Closed Doors

Leaving Sungjong’s place as quickly as he could was the best thing that had happened to him in the past 48 hours. He swore that that...horrible example of a human being was doing everything in his power to push Myungsoo to his breaking point, to drive him past the edge, to see him riled up, to show any signs of weakness.

But he was not going to give him that satisfaction. He would endure.

 

He had to.

 

“Where to?” The stoic voice interrupted his thoughts. Myungsoo snapped back to reality and stared at the rearview mirror, connecting his eyes with that of Sungjong’s guard.

“Just home.” He said in a small voice, wrapping his arms tighter around himself as though protecting his bruised and tainted body. He took a deep breath before remembering that he hadn’t checked his phone since before the entire ordeal.

56 missed calls. 100 messages. Two were from Sunggyu letting him know that he was off to see Woohyun. The rest had been from his coworker who asked him to take her shift this afternoon, and Sunggyu spastically messaging about his whereabout. “Actually,” he started, “Could you go to my workplace.”

The man nodded and asked for the address before making a sharp turn.

 

“Hi welcome to…oh my god Myungsoo! Where have you been?” Jiyeon moved from behind the counter to the front of the cafe, where Myungsoo had been, “ Sunggyu has been worried sick about you for the past two days. When he woke up, you were gone. Do you know how scared I was when he called me up at 5 in the morning in a frantic, asking if you were over at my place?”

He chuckled nervously, rubbing the nape of his neck, “S-Sorry, I needed to think, so I went out and stayed with… a friend.” He replied, forcing the last couple of words through.

“Friend? Which friend? We called them all after you were gone for two goddamn days and didn’t answer our calls. Don’t you know that you need to at least give us a heads up?!”

“Um.., at-”

“You weren’t even at the kindergarten. The workers called Sunggyu and said that you missed your shift yesterday. Do you want me to smack you? Because i’m telling you, that unless you come up with a goddamn good excuse for going missing for the past 48 hours and dropping off the planet, you’re gonna be sorry” Jiyeon warned, hand raised threateningly.

“I… I met a guy!” He said quickly, his arms out to stop her blow. He inwardly winced, knowing that Jiyeon was going to ask questions. It meant that he had to lie more than he already had. He saw her lower her hand slightly, obviously confused by his sudden statement.

“What?” She asked quietly, confused.

“H-He’s no one though! I just needed some space and he was nice enough to let me crash. Don’t worry about it. I’m sorry, I should have texted you guys or left or note or something. I just had too much things on my mind and I wanted to get away from… everything. It’s my fault. He didn’t do anything, I promise.” He sighed, his head dropped in shame. Shame for lying and deceiving the people he loved the most in his life.

Jiyeon sighed, “Hey, it’s okay. We were just worried. As long as you’re safe and aren’t hurt.” She said, placing her hand on his shoulder in reassurance. Myungsoo nodded, slightly relieved that she was calm. He could feel her quickly scan him, as though checking for any bruises or injuries, thanking God silently that the guard had got him clothes that covered everything, the bite marks, the hickeys, the scratches.

“Noona, I promise, nothing like that will happen again.”

 

Lies, lies upon lies...a building of lies was about to be built for the sake of his family.

 

Jiyeon nodded, satisfied with the answer. “Good. Because I swear, Sunggyu was two seconds away from calling the cops on you. Which is why, you should probably call him and tell him you’re alive”

Myungsoo’s broken smile dropped slightly, “Wait, you have to promise me you won’t tell him about the guy. It was too reckless for me to trust a stranger, and Sunggyu is so stressed with everything I don’t want him to feel that he needs to baby me as well because of some stupid decision. I can’t burden him more than I already have.”

Jiyeon paused before smiling, “Hey, don’t worry, I’ll just tell him that you were at the sauna or something because you needed space.” Myungsoo mentally kicked himself. He should’ve used that excuse.

“Where is he anyways.”

“He’s been with Woohyun since you left. He’s really worried. You should go see him now.” Jiyeon replied. Myungsoo opened his mouth to retort, but Jiyeon waved him off, “don’t you dare argue with me. I know this store inside and out. I can watch it for a couple of hours.”

Myungsoo sighed. He wanted to cry. He wanted to scream. He wanted to just… disappear, but he couldn't. He had to act composed and calm. Like he just needed some space...like he actually had time to clear his thoughts. He had to act like nothing was wrong, that he didn’t sign away a part of his freedom, of his soul to the Devil’s incarnate. He gave a small wave to Jiyeon before heading down the street towards the hospital.

He walked slowly, his gaze fixated on the uneven pavement, as he tried to forget about everything by focusing on not stepping on the cracks with every step he took. He couldn’t stop sighing, couldn’t stop thinking. He wanted to just stop. His head turned slightly, seeing Sungjong’s guard behind him, casually following him. He hadn’t spoken a word since the car ride, and Myungsoo was more than grateful that he had the insight to stay seated in the car while he dealt with Jiyeon. He hadn’t asked for the man’s name. Myungsoo figured since he’d be with the man for a year, maybe he shouldn’t just refer him as ‘Sungjong’s guard’.

 

Once they reached the hospital, Myungsoo’s feet guided him towards the elevator, where his fingers automatically reached for button that would take the two of them to the fourth floor, for the oncology unit, where the nurses at the station greeted him with familiarity. He smiled and nodded at their questions of who he was here to see, even though they all knew exactly who it was for.

“Oh, Myungsoo, I noticed you have another person with you. Is he a relative?”

“No, just a friend. He was in the area and both me and hyung know him, so he came here for a visit” The nurse nodded before her phone rang and she looked at him apologetically, who gave a small smile and a wave before heading towards Woohyun’s room.

 

“Will you be following me up to the room?” He asked, breaking the silence between since the car ride.
“No. I will wait here and give you privacy.” He said monotonously, before walking to an unoccupied seat. At least Sungjong had the decency to keep his promise and made sure the man didn’t interfere with his private life. Myungsoo nodded, before proceeding to make a few more turns to Woohyun’s room. He knew that if he ran, his brother would face the consequences, so Myungsoo wasn’t stupid.

“Hyung.” He whispered through the hostility of the room.

“Myung?” Myungsoo so a black silhouette straighten, as a voice croaked his name, “Is that you?”

“Yes. I’m so sorry.” He muttered, his face lowered, unable to meet his brother’s gaze. “I’m so sorry for making you worry. I’m so sorry for hurting you.” He mumbled. He couldn’t do anymore than that. He couldn’t tell him anything. There he was, just standing in shame, as he tried to blink away the tears that were rapidly forming. He wanted to run to his brother and tell him how hurt he was, but all he could do was act like nothing had happened.

“No. No. No, don’t say that.” Sunggyu whispered, standing up and walking toward him, and embracing him in his arms, “I’m sorry I’ve caused you so much stress. I’m sorry you couldn’t feel like you could talk to me about your problems.” He said. Myungsoo felt the other’s tears on his shoulder, as he allowed his own tears to stream down his face.

 

The brothers embraced in silence for a few minutes, grateful to have each other, yet fearing that they could lose each other.

“Hyung, don’t feel bad...there are just things...I need to tell others. I know you have a lot on your mind right now and I am honestly so happy that you take the time of day to talk and listen to me and let me hang around you all the time and…”

“Oh my god, if this cheesy stuff goes on any longer, I’m actually going to throw up and I really don’t want to because they just gave me my meds and I don’t want to take them again” A voice rasped out, startling the two out of their embrace.

“Woohyuniie!” Myungsoo exclaimed, slightly shoving Sunggyu out of the way and moving towards the bed, where Woohyun was struggling to get up. “Oh my god, hyung, be careful, here. Let me help you. Do you need the head of the bed up? What about the pillows. Do you need them moved? The table, it needs to be out of the way right?” Myungsoo rambled, his hand darting in and out, unsure if he should support Woohyun’s back or let him do it on his own, seeing how stable he was, using his hands and arm strength to push himself up.

“Soo, you literally still ramble like a 5 year old. I swear, those kids influence you. What happened to the stoic, ice prince that I met and hated in middle school?” Woohyun joked, hand moving to ruffle Myungsoo’s hair, who grumbled half-heartedly and stuck his tongue out at him. “Now, that’s no way to treat your hyung.”

“You? Hyung? Yeah right. I demand someone to pull your birth certificate and check again. Someone messed up the birth year. It’s not 91, but 2011 right?”

“Woohyunnie wants a lollipop! Woohyunnie wants a balloon! Woohyunnie wants Soo to do kiyomi for hyunnie! Now, now, now!” Woohyun whined, his actions mimicking those of a toddler throwing a tantrum, his fists weakly pounding on the bed, his face cutely scrunched up with his bottom lip quivering, and Myungsoo swore that he saw the covers of the bed move, indicating that Woohyun was kicking his feet.

Yep, a total 5 year old.

 

“Oh god, hyung.. You’re dating a kid….which makes you...a total creeper! Someone call 911, I’m brothers with a creep!” Myungsoo exclaimed, a smile on his face.

“Yah, you asshat. That’s how it’s going to be, huh, huh, huh!” Sunggyu lunged, grabbing Myungsoo in the headlock and digging his knuckles into the top of Myungsoo’s head.

“OW OW! That hurts! Hyung, let go!” Myungsoo cried out in pain, his hands reaching up to smack Sunggyu’s arm in an effort to be freed.

“And how am I the 5 year old? I’m not fighting now, am I?” Wooyhun called from the bed, a cheeky smile on his face.

The duo turned to look at him.

“Shut up.”

 

He heard cries of pain coming from the room, and immediately jumped to his feet, ready for action. He had his orders. No harm was to come onto his Master’s...newest conquest, and he was not one to start failing his Master now, not after over a decade of unwavering loyalty. He rushed to the room, right hand in his pocket to grab the knife, cleverly disguised as a pen, to attack whoever was threatening the person under his guard.

However, what he saw made him stop in his tracks.

There was a man in the hospital, very young, probably about a couple of years older than him. It was obvious there was something wrong with him. He was so thin, skin and bones. He looked so frail, as if a breeze would knock him over, that if he tried to stand up, he would fall. He had so many IVs in him, electrode pads on his chest. His face was gaunt and slightly pale, dark circles under his eyes. Sungyeol could see his right arm slightly trembling as it supported his body weight. Yet, even though he was sick, the man’s eyes shone with joy as he watched Myungsoo weakly punch at another man, who had him in a headlock. He was laughing loudly at Myungsoo’s wails, jokingly scolding the other man breathlessly, “Sunggyu..hyung. Stop, stop, you’re making me laugh too much! My stomach hurts! Myungsoo, just admit defeat!” To which Myungsoo haughtily and exaggeratedly declared, “Never! My pride is on the line! I will never surrender to Loser Gyu!”

“Loser Gyu? Why would you bring up a nickname from freaking 15 years ago? I just lost in basketball.”

“And soccer, and frisbee, and track and field. I swear, all the neighborhood kids didn’t want you to be on their team because they knew how badly you at every sport you played. You wanna know what else they called you? Bad-luck Gyu.”

Sunggyu (Sungyeol presumed) squinted down at Myungsoo, who was smiling so cheekily up at him.

“Ow, Ow, OW! Hyung! That hurts! Cheap shot.” Myungsoo howled in pain as Sunggyu punched him lightly in the chest.

The sight made Sungyeol’s heart beat in a way that was unfamiliar to him. Sure, there were times his heart raced because of danger (considering his master’s profession, there was no surprise that there have been close calls on his life). It was different from that rush of power, the surge of adrenaline, when he was fighting or sparring. But still..

 

It was a nice feeling, watching his watch, Myungsoo, smile so brightly, dimples prominent, eyes shining with happiness, love apparent on his face. It gave him a sense of happiness that he secretly craved, although would never admit, and a feeling of curiosity and wonder towards the man, and the world that he was so distant from.

Why was he so happy? Didn’t he know that it was because of his brother and other man that he was forced to sell his body like some cheap ? Why was he not yelling at them, cursing at them for being the reason his life was so difficult? He was only in this position because of his brother, because his brother was foolishly unable to pay his master.

And yet, here he was, laughing with them, joking with them, smiling around them.

 

It was so different.

 

You bastard. Why did Mom and Dad have to die instead of you? You’re the reason they’re dead. You and you whiny couldn’t wait. Now, I’m stuck raising their cause of death and I can’t even do anything I want. Why can’t you just die and leave me alone. You’re nothing to me! You’re not my brother, you’re not my family! You’re nothing but a pain in the and a burden. That’s all you ever will be!

 

Sungyeol shook his head, as if trying to erase the memories, before backing away from the door and moving towards the wall, where he leaned his back against and stood, waiting. He didn’t want to intrude, but more importantly, he wasn’t sure if the older brother ever saw him before, but he wasn’t going to take the chance.

He saw a nurse pulling her workstation and heading towards him, and as she approached, she flashed a small smile at him, one that he returned. He recognized her as one of the nurses from the nurse’s station that had spoken casually with Myungsoo early.

“Why are you just standing out here mister? Why don’t you go in and say hi to your friend? You’re Woohyun’s friend right?”

Sungyeol’s gaze shifted towards the dim-lit room, quickly connecting the name to the ill man.

“Ah, yes I am. I already did, but they were having a family talk so I excused myself.”

“Oh really. When you were in there, how did he seem? Was he in any pain? In need of anything?”

Sungyeol shook his head.

“Ahh good, I heard some shouts from that room earlier, so I was just wondering.”

“No, they were just joking around. I got scared too. Sorry for the disturbance.”

The nurse shook her head and waved off the apology, “Not to worry, it’s good to smile. Laughter is the best medicine after all.” She glanced at her watch and at the door of the room, where loud giggles and curses could be heard from.

“It’s actually time for him to get his medication, but…” she checked the time on the computer and clicked on the mouse a few time, and Sungyeol could see that she was pulling up Woohyun’s chart. “I think we can give them a little more private time.”

Sungyeol just nodded, not sure what to say. But the nurse spoke for him.

“You know what about this job sometimes?”

Sungyeol shrugged in response.

“When you get attached to your patients and you know that they probably aren’t going to make it.” She shook her head sadly, “Woohyun is so young, he shouldn’t even be here, and he’s so...special. Always singing and making everyone he meets happy. He loves to flirt with us nurses, but it’s so light-hearted. His husband is always here everyday, no matter what. That is true love at its best. Being with your other half through their worst. We’re always so happy to see the two of them leave, and our heart breaks a little to see Woohyun come back in through the ER. If all it took was for Woohyun to never know us to get rid of his cancer, I will gladly erase my memories of him. He should be able to live a full life. He deserves it. I know all patients do, but...there’s something about him, this spark in him that refuses to die, that still fights, and all of us on staff are attached to him in one way or another. He could have changed the world, but instead, he’s...here” She cleared . “Anyway, I didn’t mean to make you sad or anything.” She placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, “Your friend is one of a kind. Cherish him for as long as you can,” before setting off to her other patients’ rooms.

 

He just stood there, not really sure how to respond or take in all that information It was very rare for anyone to spill feelings towards in, and normally, he wouldn’t respond. But this had to do with the person under his watch, so it was a good thing to gather as much information about him as possible.

 

That was the only reason he listened. To gather information and learn more about Myungsoo to be able to do his job better.

His mission was clear. Protect Myungsoo from any physical harm by any means necessary. And stay out of his life as much as possible.

And that was what he was going to do. Nothing more. Nothing less.

 

No matter how much Myungsoo’s life story made him feel.

 

 

 


sorry for the late as update guys D:

but hey... Woohyun's alive right? :D