Chapter 5

From Country to City

That night, Chanwoo chooses to take Junhoe’s offer, and they go to the arcade together.

“Have you ever been to an arcade?”, Junhoe asked as they enter the arcade.

“Yes. Once. Long time ago.”, Chanwoo said, although his attention is not on his words. Instead, his gaze is spread all over the place, looking at all the colourful lights, and games, and people, and everything.

“Well, as for me… I’m actually quite good at arcade. Very good, in fact!”, Junhoe confidently said. But, when he turns to face Chanwoo, he realizes that Chanwoo is too dazzled to be conversed to. Seeing Chanwoo’s naïve expression only makes Chanwoo more endearing. In the end, Junhoe decides to move to the counter to get two game cards for him and Chanwoo.

“There you go.”, Junhoe offered the game card, finally waking Chanwoo up from his daze.

“Oh! Yeah, right.”, Chanwoo said in surprise. He looks at the card in his hand with enthusiasm.

“Go play whatever you want.”, Junhoe said. Needless to say, as soon as Chanwoo hears that, he dashes off to the first game that caught his interest.

Originally, Junhoe was planning to play some games himself. But then, he decides that watching Chanwoo enjoying himself is more entertaining. He follows Chanwoo around as he moves from game to game. Until finally, Chanwoo passes the prize corner.

Chanwoo stares at all the shiny rewards available, before fixating on a huge teddy bear. Not the most expensive prize, but the biggest one for sure.

He quickly counts the ticket that he got, which is not much (well, he hasn’t play arcade for a loooong time). In the end, he can only sighs. “Oh well, don’t get sad over something you can’t get…”, he thought to himself, and move on to try the next game.

Seeing that, Junhoe decides to leave Chanwoo, for an obvious reason: to win some tickets so he can get Chanwoo that doll. Well, he can just buy it, but it won’t have ‘sentimental value’ that way.

As said earlier, he is good at this. It doesn’t take him long to win enough ticket for the teddy bear. Just in time, in fact. Chanwoo has already spent all his credit, and is now looking for Junhoe (which he realizes isn’t following him anymore!). As Chanwoo looks here and there, he finally finds Junhoe… in the prize corner!

“What are you doing here?”, Chanwoo asked.

“Getting you that teddy bear.”, Junhoe responded frankly.

“But… That thing cost a lot of ticket.”, Chanwoo protested.

“I said I’m good at this, right? There, here you go!”, Junhoe said as he offers Chanwoo the big teddy bear.

Chanwoo could only stare at Junhoe for a good while. He feels… touched. Never before has a friend gives him this much attention… Before he realizes, he already blushes.

“Why are you blushing?”, Junhoe asked, breaking Chanwoo from his daydreaming.

“No… Nothing.”, Chanwoo replied as he shyly takes the teddy bear from Junhoe and hugs it, hiding his face out of embarrassment.

“Are you ready to go home?”, Junhoe asked, and Chanwoo nods.

The journey home was mostly quiet. For some unknown reason, Chanwoo suddenly feels his face heat up a bit when he tries talking to Junhoe.

In the end, just before he goes to sleep, Chanwoo stares at the big teddy bear, and thinks to himself.

Am I… Is this… love? Why am I suddenly feeling like this? Why am I staring at a thing that he gave me as if it’s my most treasured item? Why am I suddenly feeling like a teenage girl fangirling over a boy? Oh, whatever. I’ll feel whatever I feel, and I’ll handle it as it comes.

And he finally goes to sleep with a big smile on his face.