Chapter 2

From Country to City

The boy woke up again after a few hours.

“You’re finally awake!”, Chanwoo said. He then moves his chair so he sits next to Junhoe’s bed. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m still here?”, Junhoe asked.

“Yes. They said they need to hide the accident from your dad or something.”, Chanwoo bluntly said.

“They? Ah, that good-for-nothing bunch. They really don’t deserve their position!”

“Now, now. Don’t vent on me. Are you hungry? I can get you something. I can also get you painkiller, if you want”

Hearing the word ‘painkiller’, Junhoe is reminded of his wound. “Ouch… right. I’ll take that offer.”

After eating and taking the pill, Junhoe lays back on his bed, relaxing. He notices that the room is mostly empty. Just a desk, a cupboard, another bed in the other side of the room; very different from the doctor’s places in the city.

“You don’t have much here, don’t you?”, Junhoe asked.

“Well, what do you expect? It’s countryside, after all.”

Then, Junhoe notices that Chanwoo is just sitting there, staring at him. “Don’t you have anything to do?”, he asked.

“No, not really.”

“No paperwork or anything?”

“Well, if you want to hide the accident, it’s better to have no paperwork. Of course, I can make one, if you want.”

“You’re not a good doctor, are you?”

Chanwoo just smirks at that remark. After a moment of (somewhat awkward) silence, Chanwoo decides to make some tea for both of them. While sipping the tea, Junhoe decides to starts a conversation, “It’s a quiet place here, huh?”.

“It sure is. But it’s beautiful! I can show you around, if you haven’t done so already.”

To think about it, Junhoe hasn’t actually look around the village. While he knows that the place is pretty (that’s why their company decided to make a resort here), he directly went to the construction site as soon as he arrived here.

“That’s a good idea. Better than sitting here doing nothing, anyway.”, he commented. He then tried to stand up, but failing miserably due to the pain in his leg.

“You’re still injured. Wait here, I’ll grab a wheelchair.”, Chanwoo said. He gets Junhoe a wheelchair and a spare shirt of his (after suddenly realized that Junhoe’s shirt is still stained by blood), and they depart soon after.

While walking around the small village, Junhoe couldn’t feel the usual serene calmness that you would expect from being surrounded with nature. Instead, all he can feel is a certain… pity? How can people live in such a desolate place like this?

“This town is so small! Don’t you have any social life here?”, Junhoe asked.

“Hmm? Social life? Well, everyone pretty much knows everybody here.”, Chanwoo replied, a bit confused with the question.

“No, I meant. Don’t you hang out with your friend or something?”

“Hang out? For what? Everyone is just five minutes away if you need them. Besides, we meet everyone pretty much every day while working.”

Junhoe sighs. He then looks up to Chanwoo, making Chanwoo stops in his tracks. “What?”, Chanwoo asked.

“Don’t you have a girlfriend or something?”

Chanwoo shakes his head.

“Don’t you guys have party? You know, drink alcohol, something like that?”

Chanwoo shakes his head again, “I don’t drink.”.

“Have you ever have ?”

Chanwoo shakes his head one more time, this time looking away as if he’s embarrassed.

“See. No social life!”, Junhoe bluntly remarked.

“Well, you can’t use city standard of social life to a village!”, Chanwoo complained.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever! C’mon, where’s the next place?”