Chapter 4

From Country to City

He arrives at the city in a… not good condition. To be fair, it’s been years since he took an airplane. And it sure feels weird suddenly taking one again.

Regardless, there is something a bit odd about his recently obtained arrangement. It said that his accommodation here has been taken care of. That’s very odd, he thought. Usually he would have to look for one on his own, the same way he had to look for a place when he came to the village a few years ago.

I guess things have changed now.”, he thought, not thinking too much of it.

He goes to the address listed on his letter. “Floor 18, apartment 38… This must be it!

He then knocks on the door…

Not even one second, the door suddenly opens. “Chanwoo! You’re here!”, a young man shouted as he goes on and hug Chanwoo.

“Ju… Junhoe!!! Why’re you here!?”

“You’re going to live with me.”, Junhoe simply said, taking Chanwoo’s luggage inside.

“But… how? Wait a minute… Are you the one that somehow move me here?”, Chanwoo asked, still oblivious to the obvious.

Junhoe hums in agreement. “Connection.”, he remarked.

Chanwoo coughs out of surprise, “That’s… amazing! You did all this just to… see me again? Now I feel pitiful for whoever that got my old post in that village…”.

“Don’t be like that. Anyway, have you eaten? This time, I’m the one getting you food!”, Junhoe said confidently.

Now that Junhoe mentions food, Chanwoo realizes that he hasn’t eaten anything yet (the food from the airplane doesn’t count!).

“Ok. Show me what you got.”, Chanwoo said.

“Actually…”, Junhoe said with a smirk, “I can’t cook. Not well, anyway. So I’ll just buy you something.”

Chanwoo half-laugh-half-sigh. But whatever, he is too lazy to cook. In the end, he just sits down on the sofa, taking a bit of rest, and let Junhoe gets whatever.

After about 20 minutes or so, Junhoe comes back with some takeaways. He quickly sets the food up on the dining table, and invites Chanwoo to eat.

Looking at the food Junhoe bought, Chanwoo could only stare with disbelief. “You bought… this?”, he asked, still staring at the plate of carbs and fats.

“Yeah, what’s wrong? You don’t like it?”

“No, it’s not that. Just… where is the veggie? Or fruit? Or something healthier?”

“Why would you eat that kind of stuff? We’re not in the village anymore.”

Chanwoo sighs. He goes to check the fridge, and as soon as he did that, he sighs one more time.

“You’re going to die early eating like this.”

“Eh…? Oh right, you’re a doctor!”, Junhoe suddenly realizes why Chanwoo is all concerned about health.

“Fine! I’ll eat this. And then, we’ll go get grocery. A proper one!”, Chanwoo insists.

The meal was mostly quick, and so was the grocery. But, on the way to the supermarket, Chanwoo got to look around the city (from the car).

“We can visit any of those places if you want. In fact, we can go wherever you want.”, Junhoe said while driving, suddenly acting like an overattentive boyfriend. And Chanwoo could only smiles at the kind offer.

On a red light, Chanwoo’s gaze is suddenly fixated at a building in the corner... An arcade.

Upon realizing Chanwoo’s gaze, Junhoe said, “We can go there, if you want. Tonight.”.

Chanwoo turns around to face Junhoe in excitement, but, when he realizes that he’ll look childish getting overexcited over an arcade, he tones his excitement down, which in turn makes Junhoe laughs. “You can be excited, you know. I won’t judge.”, he said.

Chanwoo puffs his mouth at the comment. Fortunately, the red lamp turns green before Junhoe could say anything else.