The End

I Knew You Were Trouble
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Miracles existed.

Ryeowook wasn’t sure what he had done to deserve this. All he knew was that he was going to live the rest of his life, ensuring that he proved himself worth of this miracle, worth of this second chance to love Donghae once again.

He didn’t know how or why but Donghae really had woken up. Ryeowook felt the squeeze Donghae had given him, it was a weak sign but he felt it then, the promise of never leaving him. Donghae never left him and he never would. When Ryeowook called for the doctor, he was told to step outside while they did a thorough check-up on him. They brought Donghae to a room and then did some scans on him and an hour later, the doctor emerged out of the room with news that made Ryeowook burst into the happiest tears in his life.

“It really is a miracle.”

The doctor had said so himself. Donghae’s brain activity had suddenly picked up and he was starting to show signs that he was conscious after hearing Ryeowook’s voice.  The doctor then explained that every time they mentioned Ryeowook’s name, Donghae would react one way or another. He wasn’t sure if Donghae would wake up with any memory loss or not but he was certain that a part of Donghae knew that Ryeowook was someone important to him, thus why he would always respond back every time he heard Ryeowook’s name.

Donghae’s family huddled up together in a hug, feeling relieved that their prayers were answered. Ryeowook watched, wiping his eyes but Heechul grinned at him and pulled him into the hug, kissing the top of Ryeowook’s hair and thanking him.

Ryeowook looked up, confused, thank him? For what?

“Our babyhae wouldn’t have made it if it wasn’t thanks to you,” Heechul cupped Ryeowook’s face, eyes shining with appreciation, “You’re the miracle, Ryeowook.”

Ryeowook felt himself blushing but his lips stretched into a grin as Heechul’s words found itself into his heart, making him feel assured that this really wasn’t a dream, that Donghae had really made it. As Ryeowook broke away from the hug, he turned around, his eyes meet Kyuhyun’s who was simply watching him with a smile on his lips. Ryeowook didn’t have to say much but Kyuhyun nodded in his direction and Ryeowook mouthed a thank you to Kyuhyun. Deep down, Ryeowook knew miracles just didn’t happen without prayers and Kyuhyun had been there to pray for Donghae, Kyuhyun had also been Donghae’s miracle.

***

Two days later, Ryeowook was declared healthy to be discharged. He requested to stay by Donghae’s side for the whole day and when night came by, Leeteuk entered the room with a soft smile, urging Ryeowook to go home and get some proper rest. Ryeowook fought against the idea, he just wanted to stay by Donghae’s side. However, in the end, Leeteuk got Eunhyuk and Henry to drag Ryeowook home and away from Donghae.

“Tomorrow, you can come by tomorrow. Please get some rest, Wookie.” Leeteuk smiled, “He’ll still be here, waiting for you.”

As Eunhyuk and Henry drove Ryeowook home, Ryeowook remembered how they had cheered him up with lame jokes and bought him ice-cream for him on the way home. They accompanied Ryeowook home and even offered to cook up some mac n cheese – The only thing they know how to cook- for dinner. It wasn’t the best dinner and it was bad of Ryeowook to admit it but they were pretty terrible cooks. But their company made it enough for Ryeowook to be able to forget about Donghae just for a little while and pretend that everything was okay.

When they left, Ryeowook retreated back to his shared bedroom and fell silent upon looking at his empty bed. Without realizing, he felt new tears sliding down his cheeks. He hastily wiped away, thinking of how silly he was to be crying all of a sudden. It was just that… Being here, being back in the place where he had shared his most precious moments with Donghae made him realize that he had almost lost his lover. If Donghae had really left him… Ryeowook wouldn’t know how to live with it. Donghae was Ryeowook’s whole life now and if Donghae really died, then Ryeowook knew that he would have died too along with Donghae.

Ryeowook sighed, walking towards the bed and then throwing himself onto the soft mattress. He hugged a pillow close to him, smiling a little as it smelled like Donghae – a hint of lemon scent from his shampoo.

Just a few more days, Ryeowook thought quietly to himself, a few more days and Donghae will finally come back home.

***

Ryeowook woke up bright and early the next morning. He skipped out on breakfast, wanting to just get to the hospital as soon as possible, wanting to be reunited with Donghae. After getting ready, Ryeowook was about to leave when he remembered something. He broke into a huge smile and then dug into the drawer of the small table next to his bed. He pulled out a small box and then lifted the covers, slipping his wedding ring onto his finger. Ryeowook smiled in awe as he thought of how perfect the ring looked on him, how it looked like it belonged there and it had finally found its home.

Ryeowook arrived at the hospital with a bouquet of hospital in his hand. Donghae wouldn’t like that Ryeowook bought him flowers since Donghae always insisted that he was the man in their relationship and he didn’t do girly things but Ryeowook didn’t care. The flowers, Ryeowook would insist, were to make the room look livelier and not for Donghae, not at all. Ryeowook and Donghae would return to how they were and bicker over the silliest thing and ending their argument with soft pecks and their usual ‘I love you, you idiot.’

 As Ryeowook pushed the door open to Donghae’s hospital room however, his breath hitched, his grip on the bouquet of flowers loosened and the flowers fell from his hands. Shocked beyond words, Ryeowook made his way to the side of the hospital bed where his husband was smiling at him with his eyes wide open. Donghae had awoken, a teary-eyed Eunhyuk by his side, and although, still weak and unable to move much, Donghae looked like he was very much aware of the people around him and what was going on. Ryeowook’s eyes filled with tears as his hand found Donghae’s and their fingers, intertwined. Donghae looked pale and sick but Ryeowook didn’t care because all that mattered was that golden smile on his lips and the love that glinted in his eyes.

“H.. Hi,” Ryeowook choked.

Donghae smiled a little bit wider, taking all the time in the world as he cleared his throat and opened his mouth. Donghae’s voice cracked but Ryeowook didn’t matter because, finally after so long, he was able to hear Donghae’s voice once again.

 “H..Hi, m.. my… lo… l.. Love.”

***

“Hey there,”

Ryeowook spun around, lips curving into a soft smile at the visitor. Kyuhyun smiled back and then handed Ryeowook a cup of coffee he had bought along the way, taking a seat next to him.

“How’s Donghae?” Kyuhyun asked as he eyed the sleeping man on the hospital bed.

“He’s still a little bit knocked out from the medication but he wakes up from time to time.” Ryeowook responded, “But the doctor said that he’s improving.”

Kyuhyun chuckled in amusement, “A huge accident and not a single bone broken, the both of you are very lucky, aren’t you?”

Ryeowook laughed softly, fingers combing against Donghae’s hair as he nodded. Lucky indeed, the both of them were to have survived this accident with no broken bones and no broken hearts. The worst, the doctor suspected was that Donghae would experience some severe migraines now and then and that he would be physically weak for about a few months but that was all there was. It was just Donghae didn’t even had a coma to begin with.

Ryeowook had Kyuhyun to thank for Donghae’s survival. He reached his hand across and then squeezed Kyuhyun’s hand, his eyes shining brightly as he gazed at Kyuhyun appreciatively, “Thank you.”

“You prayed for Donghae,” Ryeowook whispered.

Kyuhyun smiled, fingers finding their way between the spaces of Ryeowook’s fingers, he intertwines their fingers and deep down, Kyuhyun’s heart ached because his fingers fitted perfectly aganst Ryeowook’s but he knew that they would never belong there.

“I p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter