006 - Party

Spring Awakening

"Andie's having a party tonight."

"Yeah?"

"You in?"

"Sure. Alcohol?"

"It's Andie. The only reason she throws parties is because she has alcohol."

Ten chuckled, "Sure, I'm in. What time?"

"I think it's at eight so wanna meet at hers at nine and make a grand entrance together?"

"Sounds good to me. Dress code?"

"Casual. Wanna co-ordinate?"

"Yeah.. Black and white?"

"Classic, let's do it." There was mumbling on the line for a brief moment. "I gotta go, my sister ran into the wall again."

"Okay, see you tonight, Kay."

"Peace."

Ten felt excited about the party. It was probably just gonna be a group of people sat around with music in the background hold red cups and chatting until someone suggest spin the bottle, but he was still eager to go. They were half way through the three months of rehearsals and everyone had grown pretty close by now, there was always a comfortable air between Ten and anyone he spoke to. Well, minus one person. He hadn't even spoken to Johnny since the run through. Johnny hadn't made an effort to talk to him either, which bothered him.

He wanted to speak to Johnny, he wanted to be comfortable with him but anytime he attempted to drag himself across the stage towards him, he was fixed to the spot out of fear and shyness. He could only stare and hope that maybe Johnny would look at him, take a hint and speak to him first. But what would Ten even say to him? Johnny still made his blood boil, he still sent a pang of annoyance through him anytime he saw Johnny's face. He just wanted to take the object nearest to him and throw it at his face. Ten was torn between wanting to fix the situation between them and spend every waking second sending him death glares from across the room.

Johnny was just as, if not more, excited for the party. He hoped Ten was there. He was determined to confront him properly and figure out what the hell his problem was. He couldn't at rehearsals, he didn't want to cause a scene that wasn't in the script. The same went for whenever they hung out as a group. But at the party, he could drag Ten off somewhere quiet and talk it out.

He dressed himself in simple skinny jeans and a thin dark grey sweater, white hi-tops on his feet. It was casual and not too flashy, it was perfect. Everyone else was wearing something similar, jeans, t-shirts, one girl turn up in overalls and patterned tights but that was about as extravagant as it got. When he turned up, Andie was at the door, a bottle of some kind of beer in one hand, a tiny shot glass of a lime green liquid in the other. She them towards Johnny with a grin before darting off. Well, he wasn't going to say no. He quickly downed the shot and headed into the living room, scanning the room.

There was no sign of him.

Johnny's heart sank a little and he tried to drown his growing sorrows in the beer, drinking quickly. Everyone already seemed buzzed and he wanted to catch up.

It wasn't long before he was swept up into conversation with a small group. There was a couple making out opposite and one girl lurking in the corner fiddling with her phone, but majority of those in the room had something to contribute.

"Are you kidding? Adore totally deserved to win!" Libby shook her head, holding up her hand in protest.

"But Courtney was the best! She looks like a model and she can sing." Another girl Johnny didn't recognised piped up.

"That isn't the point of the show. It's about proving to be the best at the challenges and overcoming obstacles which Adore did!" 

"With Bianca's help. That's why Bianca won, she was the best." One of the supporting cast member's, Christian, decided to join in the debate.

"He's got a point, Adore would've been nothing without Bianca." Johnny leant forward, grinning as he spoke. "And she's ultimate sass goals. I see myself in her."

"You see yourself in everyone, Johnny." Libby grinned sweetly at her own double entendre which earned an elbow to her chest.

About to retaliate, Johnny was stopped as he glanced towards the door, eyes falling on the very person he'd hoped to see here tonight.

Ten. He came.

Johnny swallowed, wanting so much to jump up and go right to him, but as quickly as Ten appeared, he disappeared, following Kayla into the kitchen. He waited, counting to thirty slowly in his head, not wanting to be too eager before getting up to speak to him. He didn't get very far. He'd barely reached fourteen when Ten re-appeared, drink being held by slender fingers, his eyes darting round the room. Their eyes met and they held gazes before Ten dropped his, making sure to take a seat as far away from Johnny as possible.

He felt his heart drop for a second time that night. Ten was certainly avoiding him.

The music continued to play, people continued to talk until the alcohol had consumed them. The room had emptied, people darting off to find different secluded areas to make out and other things, leaving just a small handful in the room. Including Ten and Johnny.

Johnny had spent the entire night staring and Ten, who had spent the entire night trying not to stare back.

"I have an idea. Never have I ever." Libby looked all too thrilled at her own suggestion and everyone shared her views. Drinks were topped up rather quickly and everyone gathered, ready to start. Johnny glanced at Ten who looked a little unsure but he didn't say a word, simply smiling to himself at the shy look on the younger's face. It was endearing.

"I'll start." Everyone perked up at Libby's words. Everyone knew she was the wild one. "Never have I ever kissed someone of the same ." 

Of course, everyone drank. People were extravagant with their statements, trying to think of the most extreme thing someone could have done. Or they were sneaky and used their knowledge of gossip to out people's embarrassing stories. But Ten sat there with an almost full drink, simply laughing and enjoying himself, hearing about everyone's history.

Johnny had noticed and he wanted to test this. He waited patiently for his turn and stared Ten directly in the eye as he spoke slowly, "never have I ever had ."

Ten swallowed, staring up at Johnny in disbelief. The room erupted in giggles as everyone drank. Everyone but Ten.

He knew it. Ten was a . Johnny wouldn't be surprised if he found out that he was Ten's first kiss. Ten sat in silence, eyes staring into Johnny's. He knew exactly what he'd done. He knew that Johnny had done this on purpose to draw attention to him, ridicule him.

"You've never had ?" One girl Ten didn't know spoke up, a mischievous look on her face. He knew she was going to make it worse. "Aren't you like, eighteen?"

"He's twenty." 

"Twenty? Oh my god, that's even worse. Imagine being a twenty year old !"

"Chloe, shut up."

"I'm just saying, everyone I know had when they were like, sixteen. I'd be so embarrassed if I were still a as an adult."

The group fell into discussion about the topic, the game long forgotten by the sudden uproar. Everyone but Ten. He was staring at Johnny, his anger beginning to burn inside him. He'd never been ashamed of himself before. He felt comfortable with who he was until this very moment, having complete strangers judge him for something that seemed so ridiculous to him.

Johnny stared back with a blank expression, not sure what to do. He was expecting to feel satisfaction, it was all part of the game but he didn't. He felt guilty. He'd misjudged Ten and he couldn't take it back.

Ten shot up, dumping his bottle on the table before he left the room, wanting to escape. He felt humiliated by complete strangers and it was Johnny's fault. He knew what he was doing, the gleam in his eye told Ten that it was all a set up to make him look like a fool. He didn't look back as he grabbed his jacket from the pile at the bottom of the stairs, pulling it on. He wanted to get out and pretend it didn't happen. He was no longer having fun.

"Ten, wait!" He was at the bottom of the path when Johnny called his name, appearing in the doorway. Ten stopped and looked back, shaking his head before he strode forward, head down. Johnny groaned, chasing down after him. ", Ten, I'm sorry. I didn't think an-"

"Didn't think what?" Ten spun round, glaring up at the taller, raising his voice. "That I was a ? Don't give me that, you ing knew!"

"I know, but I-"

"And you wanted my life to be your punch line? You wanted everyone to have a good laugh at the awkward ? Is this a game to you?"

"No one is going to care. Flora, she's just a -stirrer, no one listens to her." Johnny protested, growing desperate. He refused to let Ten see him in a negative light anymore. "I don't care what she thinks. I just... I care what you think."

Ten blinked, a little confused by his words. "What?"

"I care what you think about me. I care how you see me."

"Why do you care what I think?"

Johnny sighed. Ten stubborn with his thoughts, refusing to see the obvious truth. He found his feet pulling him towards the younger who seemed ot have his guard up, fists clenched so tight his knuckles were white. Stopping just in front, their eyes met, something inside their chests twisting as they held gaze. There was a peaceful silence as their stares poured into each other, Ten swallowing out of nerves. He could feel his heart beat in his throat. unable to swallow it down, his stomach turning. 

"Why not?"

The elder's words were so soft, barely audible even through the silent night. As soon as those words left Johnny's lips, he tipped his head, pressing them gently against Ten's. The smaller froze, holding his breath as his mind raced. What was he supposed to do? Stand there? Push him off? Kiss him back?

Except his lips already made up his mind for him. Ten was returning the sweet kiss, one hand sliding up to rest on Johnny's waist. There were no fireworks, no trumpets or harps playing in his ears, no explosion of glitter and warm feelings. He felt calm, comfortable in the other's presence, like nothing in this moment could go wrong. Johnny's arms slid round his waist to pull him closer as they kissed, Ten leaning further into him. But just as quickly as it started, it stopped, Ten pulling back.

He wasn't sure if he was ready for something like this. He just wanted to make friends and to perform, to do something he loved. He didn't consider anything else so he wasn't ready.

"I need to go." He spoke softly and just as Johnny was about to protest again, Ten had pulled himself from the elder's grip and slid off, moving at a hasty pace into the darkness.

Johnny wanted to go after him but he thought it best to let it settle in his mind first. Instead, he headed back into the party, grinning to himself with the taste of Ten still on his lips.