005 - Run through

Spring Awakening

Ten was invisible online. Johnny searched for him on all forms of social media and he came up nothing. He was a genius, he always knew how to track someone down, all he needed was a name. Ten was nowhere. He wasn't on Facebook, wasn't on Twitter, he had no Instagram, there was nothing. It bothered Johnny. He wanted to pry, he wanted to see if he could find out some stuff, pick up on anything that would be a conversational topic. He couldn't find a single thing. He was stumped.

When they gathered for their first full run-through, Johnny was abnormally quiet. He performed the scenes, sang the songs and hit every mark but off stage, he was silent. He was too fixated on Ten, watching him as the younger read his script or chatted with the cast, smiling and talking so freely. Johnny wanted that. He wanted Ten to be free with him. Why wasn't he? What had Johnny done?

"He's rather talented, isn't he?" Johnny was pulled from his thoughts as Kayla slid up to him with a smile.

"Ten? Yeah, he's good. A good little actor."

"How long have you liked him?"

"What?" Johnny's head shot towards her, eyes wide. "I don't like him."

"Oh, sure. That totally explains why you're always staring at him, practically ing him with your eyes."

"I don't stare-"

"Everyone knows. Except him. He seems to be rather oblivious to your crush."

"Kayla, I don't have a crush on him. He's just.. He's cool."

"Look, Johnny." Kayla paused, glancing around to make sure no one was eavesdropping before leaning closer. "Be nice to him. He's sweet, a good person. And I know you are too, before you get all defensive. But if you're treating this as some kind of competition, a challenge to get into his head, then just.. Don't."

"He's not a challenge." Johnny spoke calmly, folding his arms, his gaze settling back on Ten who was deep in conversation with Mark. "I just don't get why he doesn't want to be my friend."

"Be patient. He'll open up."

The rehearsal continued, each scene going rather smoothly, the occasional technical hitch with music or a misplaced prop. The vineyard scene was growing closer and Ten was nervous. It was the first time they'd have to perform it in front of everyone, eyes watching them as they pretended to be in love. And the kiss.

They'd have to kiss.

They hadn't done it before. In all their practices, Ten had always held back, too afraid to act it out. He'd kissed people before, he was no stranger to that. It was just acting, though. He could it up.

They got into position, settled on the ground, Ten facing forward, Johnny facing Ten, just like they'd rehearsed. They spoke their lines, performing like they'd done a thousand times. Then the music started. Ten felt Johnny's eyes on him as it played out, keeping the stage even though his heart wanted so much to look at him.

"Come cream away the bliss
Travel the world within my lips
Fondle the pearl of your distant dreams
Haven't you heard the word of your body?"

Then Ten looked. His eyes dragged slowly towards Johnny and their eyes met, holding each other's gazes. Johnny continued until the music halted and then it happened. It was quick and painless but this was not a band aid. It was a kiss. Johnny leant forward, his lips pressing firmly on to Ten's for a split second before pulling away. Ten exhaled, staring up at Johnny before he turned, facing the empty auditorium.

"Oh god."

They just kissed. It was nothing, Ten tried not to make a big deal out of it but his throat was dry, heart pounding. It was nerves, adrenaline. They'd just kissed in front of everyone, of course he'd be jittery. 

Johnny was calm, content even. He'd had many on-stage kisses, this was nothing. But it was his favourite.

"Mhm, I know. When we look back, thirty years from now, tonight will seem unbelievably beautiful."

Ten looked back at Johnny, hesitating with his words, knowing what was coming. "And in the meantime?"

Johnny met his gaze once more, a dangerously charming smile on his lips. "Why not?"

Johnny instantly moved forward, his hand cupping on to Ten's cheek. There was a split second before, Johnny's eyes pouring into Ten's silently asking permission for what he was about to do before leaning in a second time.

Their lips met again but this time, it was so much different. It was soft and delicate, like Johnny was holding back. His lips were soft, Ten could taste the lemonade he'd been drinking earlier, enjoying the sweetness on his tongue caused by the elder. Their lips moved slowly, both tentative and nervous as they kissed, Ten's hand sliding up to rest on Johnny's chest, Johnny's palm cupping the back of Ten's neck. It only lasted for a few seconds but it felt so much longer. It left them breathless, silent, stunned before the reality sunk back in.

"On.. On my way here, I thought we'd only.. Talk." Ten spoke quietly, his words still clear.

"So are you sorry, we.."

"No." Ten shook his head, staring up at Johnny, his and now clutching the other's shirt out of false desperation. "I love you Hanschen, as I have never loved anyone."

"And so you should."

Ten left the stage a little too quickly after their scene was done. He found his water bottle, quickly sipping from his, trying to recover from his dry throat. Libby appeared beside him, a sweet smile on her lips.

"How many times have you two practiced that?" Her tone suggested something other than the scene but she feigned innocence in her expression.

"The scene?" Ten decided to play dumb. "At least twice every rehearsal."

She shook her head, "Not the scene, the kiss. I didn't realise you two were a thing."

Ten couldn't hold back his laughter, throwing his head back in amusement. "Me and Johnny? We're not a thing."

"You can tell me! I'm not a gossip, I swear. I think you two would be ridiculously cute, everyone else thinks so too." Libby elbowed him gently in the ribs, smiling warmly. "You can't seriously think I'd believe there's nothing going on between you two after a kiss like that, can you?"

Ten lowered his water bottle, his attention suddenly grabbed by Johnny from the other side of the stage. He was watching Ten, arms folded, expression blank. He didn't pull away when Ten looked up, simply holding his gaze. Ten blinked, his heart twisting in his chest, a sudden annoyance sweeping over him. Why was he always staring?

"Maybe we're just good at acting."

Good at acting like Johnny didn't get under his skin in the most annoying way possible.