010 - Guess what

Spring Awakening

The next four days had been hell for everyone. Melchior's understudy was given the role of Ernst and had to learn every line, song, harmony and positioning by Friday. The entire cast had put in extra effort to teach him with longer rehearsals, gathering after, working deep into the night to make up for the disappearance of Ten. Of course, no one was mad at him. Everyone knew what had happened, it spread like wildfire and even though they wanted to help, they couldn't. 

For Johnny, the past four days were horrible. He liked the replacement, he was a sweet boy and they worked well together. But he wasn't Ten. It felt weird, like Johnny had just replaced him so quickly. Essentially, he had but Johnny refused to think of it as replacing. This was temporary. Ten was coming back, Johnny was going to get him back. He just had to figure out how.

"I went to Ten's yesterday." Kayla slumped down next to Johnny on the edge of the stage, head resting on his shoulder. He perked up, closing the script. The show was tonight and everything was set.

"Did he answer? Please say he did."

"No." Johnny deflated, sighing as he re-opened the script. "But his sister did. Ten's miserable. Apparently he's not allowed to leave his room, their mom has taken everything out of his room. All his stuff is packed... He's really leaving, Johnny."

"I know." Johnny whispered. He felt so powerless. He wish he could do something but any time he'd even approached the house, his mother was waiting. It's like she had a radar for him. They remained in position until they were called for a final run through before they split to get into costumes. Everyone was excited, there was a buzz in the air but Johnny wasn't feeling it. He felt horrible and it was so stupid. He wished he wasn't so hung up on Ten. He wished he could just forget about him and move on, focus on the show. This was his passion, his career, something he'd worked so hard for. Why was he letting a boy climb into his mind and distract him from it?

"Where's Kayla?" The shrill voice of the director filled backstage, screeching in a state of panic. The cast looked blanked, shrugging, causing another loud gasp to come form the director's lips. "She better not be taking a smoke break!" 

"Where did she go?" Mark slid up beside Johnny, elbowing him gently.

"I dunno, she's probably just in the green room." Johnny shrugged, staring at his phone. He'd had his eyes peeled to it for so many hours, praying for it to ring, for Ten to get in touch. But there was nothing. There wasn't going to be anything. Get out of your head, Johnny, focus on the show.

"I didn't realise you two had become so close."

"Me and Kayla? We've been close for ages, I've known her for like five years."

"No... You and Ten. I'm assuming that's how you've been waiting to hear from, right?" Johnny said nothing, his eyes staying glued to his phone. "Get through tonight. Maybe.. Maybe we can hatch a plan, break Ten out or something. Focus tonight and then we can do something. I'm sure we can do something. He's legally an adult, right? He shouldn't be stuck in the hold of his parents."

"I don't know, it just seems pointless."

"I can't believe you're admitting defeat. Ten really softened your heart, huh."

Johnny remained silent, not wanting to speak. He was right, Ten had really softened him. Maybe he should fight, maybe he should try and do something.

"Johnny!" Kayla came pouncing towards Johnny, a big grin on her face. She wasn't in costume, her face was flustered but she was bursting with energy. She began hitting Johnny's arm in excitement, bouncing. "Boy, you're about to love me, I got-"

"Kayla! Why aren't you in costume?!" The shrill voice re-appeared, screeching words towards the red-faced girl. "You have two minutes or I'm finding your replacement as well!"

"I'll tell you at the interval." She patted Johnny's cheek before dashing off to the dressing rooms to change. Johnny didn't ponder what she wanted for too long, she got excited over the littlest things. She once called Johnny at four am just to let him know that her cat used the litter box for the first time.

The show went off without a hitch; no technical difficulties, no one forgetting lines and the music cues were on point. It was a perfect show, if there were such a thing but Johnny couldn't take his mind off Ten. He wanted so badly to see him again, even if it was just once more before he left. He had so much he wanted to tell Ten, he didn't want their last communication to be through a piece of paper tossed out of the window. It wasn't fair.

During the interval, Johnny kept himself away from everyone, not wanting to delve into conversation. He hung back in the wings, pacing back and forth. Everyone was chipper and positive, talking excitedly about the show but he wasn't interested. He was being petty and childish but he couldn't help it. He was in no mood to socialise, just wanting to focus on getting through the show before going to Ten's. He wanted to see him and he wasn't going to be stopped.

"Hey, Johnny. Jesus, stop hiding and pouting. Listen-"

"No offence, Kayla, but I really don't care."

"Just listen to me, for 's sake, it's about Ten."

"I don't care! I don't want to hear it! I don't want to hear about him being trapped up in his room for some stupid reason that he has no control over! I don't want too hear about how he's ing off to another god damn continent! I don't want to hear about how I'm never gonna get to see him again! I don't... I didn't.. I didn't even get to tell him how I felt, Kayla. I didn't even get to say goodbye."

Johnny didn't like being so open and vulnerable. It's not like he was emotionally reserved, he just didn't want everyone to know his personal business, he didn't want them knowing how he felt. Kayla understood that. She knew not to press Johnny, she wasn't going to. Instead, she just smiled. She smiled a little too much, Johnny was confused. He stared at her, blinking as a frown formed on his eyebrows. 

"Tell him how you feel now." Kayla shuffled off, disappearing back into the corridor with a grin on her lips. Johnny was about to speak up but was left confused. What was she-

A pair of arms slid around his waist, making him jump a little. They held on tight, squeezing him softly, causing Johnny to turn in their embrace to see who it was. His heart lept as he saw the sickeningly sweet smile of Ten beaming up at him, his eyes crinkled into crescents, practically sparkling under the dim stage lights beside them.

"Ten..." Johnny spoke softly in disbelief, completely stunned. "You.. But-"

"I'll explain later."

Reaching up, one hand cupped the back of Johnny's neck, Ten balancing on his tiptoes as he leaned up to press their lips together in a delicate yet meaningful kiss. Johnny's arms slid round Ten's waist to lift him up and hold him close, refusing to let him go this time.