001 - Audition

Spring Awakening

“Ten Leechaiyakul?”

For the umpteenth time in his life, Ten’s eyes rolled into the back of his head as his name was mispronounced by the director who called it. He couldn’t blame her. Almost everyone he knew struggled to work their tongues around it. Rising to his feet, Ten passed his fellow excited auditionees as he headed up on to the stage, the script tight in his grip. He knew the lines, mostly, it was just a formality, a safety blanket if anything. Stopping in the centre, he flashed a bright smile, shoulders back, feet together as his eyes scanned the room of potential cast members. Chest tight, he exhaled a shaky breath, trying not to focus on the dozens of eyes focused on him, ready to tear him apart at the hint of any nervousness. He could handle this. Besides, he might not see the majority of these strangers again.

“And you’re reading for the position of..”

“Ernst.” Ten nodded as he spoke, his voice steady and confident. Was he too confident? He didn’t want to come across cocky. Pushing the thought to the back of his mind, he continued to smile warmly, awaiting further instructions as the director flipped through a few pages.

“You’re familiar with the songs?” Ten nodded. “Alright, give me the first eight bars of My Junk, whenever you’re ready.”

Oh god. Ten knew he had to sing but it still shook him. There were at least a hundred people in front of him, staring into his soul, scrutinizing every part of him. Was he standing correctly? Was he dressed appropriately? Could be remember the words? , was he taking too long? Ten shook his shoulders loose and cleared his throat, his gaze focusing on the back of the auditorium as he began to sing to the best of his ability.

He wasn’t a terrible singer. In fact, he was rather good. He struggled with particularly high notes and a lesson or two on breath control wouldn’t hurt but he had a sweet voice and stable pitch. Ten had his own YouTube channel which he often uploaded his covers to but they never seemed to exceed more than thirty views and he was convinced his mom was half of them, just to be kind, the rest from strangers. He wasn’t all that popular. He’d moved from Thailand when he was nineteen so school was not a way for him to make friends. He managed to find himself a part time job at a convenience store two blocks away but the only other people that worked there was a senior that barely spoke English and slightly younger but still twice his age burly guy that only spoke to him to bark orders at. Ten was lonely, homesick and desperate to meet someone even remotely close to his age to stop him from going out of his mind. So when a rather suave looking woman shuffled into the store on a late Tuesday afternoon clutching a bunch of black and white leaflets with hopes of putting one up in the window, Ten couldn’t resist taking one for himself.

The director held up a rather vein-ridden hand, signaling Ten to stop not even five bars in, causing a swelling hole to form in his stomach. He closed his mouth, hands squeezing at the rolled up script in his palms, mouth growing dry as he waited for what felt like an eternity.

“Very nice. Ang, give him the vineyard scene, pair him up. Ten, learn the lines and and stage it. I’ll see you back here at two, be ready.”

***

Johnny always made sure he was the last person to audition. He was certainly no amateur when it came to performing, this being fifth production with this particular director. He had a way with words and his charm was his greatest asset, he had no trouble sweet-talking her into allowing him to sit and watch all the other hopefuls as they sang their hearts out before it was his turn. Of course, when he did perform, he made sure he had everyone's attention before he began, a look of passion on his face to disguise the smugness as their jaws dropped. Johnny was tall with wide eyes and thick, pouting lips. His skin was smooth, a faintly tanned colour and completely blemish free. His shoulders were broad, rather well built with muscles in all the right places. His hair was brown, almost golden underneath the stage lights, fringe flopping slightly over his eyes. He was attractive and charismatic and he damn well knew it.

"Ah, Johnny, good to see you back here." A half smile drew across his lips at the recognition. "Auditioning for Melchior I see. Go ahead, when you're ready."

It took him not even three seconds to compose himself before he parted his lips to sing. Johnny had a rather unique voice. It was deep and smooth, something he was extremely proud of. All he had to do was sing a few words and he'd have the girls and boys melting at his feet. It was a gift that he knew how to milk to get whatever he wanted and this was going to be no exception for him. It was the lead role or nothing.

"Lovely, as always, Johnny. Pair up with Kayla, run through the Word Of Your Body segment together, half an hour."

Smirking, Johnny sauntered off in the direction of the little blonde girl with bright eyes. She was cute, he'd have no trouble perfecting the scene with her.

***

"As you know, we've had over hundred auditionees today and unfortunately there are only twenty five roles to fill. If I call your name, please stay behind and receive your role and scripts. The rest of you, you have been unsuccessful but thank you for coming today." 

Ten's heart began to pound as he waited to possibly hear his name. It sank a little further every time a name was called that wasn't his, his hopes lowering until there was nothing left. He tugged on his jacket, knowing he'd been unsuccessful, ready to just leave before he heard it.

"Ten Leechaiyakul."

His head snapped up, eyes wide, staring at the director who'd called on him, blinking. He'd gotten in. A smile drew across his face, beaming with excitement and pride, unable to stop himself from getting giddy. His first real production, he didn't even care who he was playing. He'd happily be an understudy or an adult character. It didn't matter. Out of a hundred people, he was considered in the top quarter. It was better than nothing. 

Once the auditorium had emptied out, Ten slid to the front, slinging his bag on his back, waiting with a mixture of excitement and nerves. The director held up the cast list and walked to the back of the stage, sticking it up on the back drop. "Check your roles, come to me for scripts and rehearsal times. We've got a great amount of talent in this room and I'd appreciate it if none of you let me down and make me regret my decisions."

The group of people instantly ran towards the tiny sheet of paper, crowding around, desperate to see their roles. Ten hung back, waiting his turn, trying to build up courage without his hopes soaring. It was okay if he wasn't Ernst. He was in it, that is the most important thing. As the crowd began to disperse, Ten slid between two bodies, leaning in to check the list.

Ernst............. Ten Leechaiaykul

.

He'd done it.

With a beaming expression, Ten quickly removed himself from the group and headed towards the director, unable to hide his gratitude.

"Thank you so much, I will not let you down!" He took the script, clutching on to it for dear life. He couldn't wait to highlight the hell out of it.

"Just work on your breathing, you need to sustain your notes." Ten nodded at her words, thanking her once more before he stuffed the script in his bag, heading for the exit.

Johnny, on the other hand, was less than thrilled.

"What the hell is this about?" He was angry, it was obvious. "I'm Hanschen?" Of course he had expected the lead role and wasn't pleased about playing anything other.

"Oh, the gay one!" A smaller male seemed a little too thrilled at the idea.

"The what?"

"Yeah, he's the one who pursues Ernst. They've got a whole duet and a kiss scene and everything."

Johnny didn't have to search long for the name Ernst. In fact, he didn't have to search at all, it was right below his. His finger traced the dotted line, his frown never faltering as he took in the unfamiliar name of the person he'd have to work alongside.

"Who the is Ten?"