Part 3

New Moon

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

A week had passed since their first training session and ever since then Jongdae had been practicing as much as he could. Every time he could feel his wolf coming closer and closer to the surface, so close yet not quite close enough.

 

It frustrated him every time it would come to the surface only to recede again. He knew from the start it wouldn’t be easy but he reserved the right to be a little put off about it. He had waited so long for this. Jongin was there each time however, consoling him and congratulation him on a job well done. It always lightened his mood, the Alpha always knowing the right things to say to lift his spirits back up again.

 

Jongdae was in the kitchen with Kyungsoo. The other Omega was teaching him how to make his famous cookies that everyone, including himself, absolutely adored. Jongdae felt special, from what he knew it wasn’t every day that Kyungsoo shared his recipes with someone or even allowed them to help with making food that didn’t require putting already made ingredients together.

 

They were both working side by side, Kyungsoo was breaking the eggs while Jongdae was sifting the flour. All of a sudden a loud noise startled them causing Kyungsoo to shatter the egg in his hand and for Jongdae to drop the sifter and to knock over the bowl sending the flour everywhere.

 

There was a gasp by the entry way and Jongdae turned to see a very surprised Yifan and Junmyeon gaping at him in wonder. He had no idea why they were staring at him like that. Was he covered in flour or something?

 

It’s then that he noticed everything seemed… bigger and taller. He looked over to the side and up at Kyungsoo.

 

Wait.

 

Up?

 

Why did he have to look up at Kyungsoo? There were basically the same height.

 

It was then that he looked down and instead to hands he was meet with a pair of paws. A pair of very white and very furry paws. He whines in confusion and is startled by the very animal, very wolf like sound that comes out of his mouth. The confusion soon turns into comprehension, which then turns into pure excitement and happiness.

 

He had done it.

 

He had finally shifted for the first time.

 

His tail begins to wave ferociously back and forth and he yips in extreme joy. He feels a hand tangle itself in his fur. When he turns he sees its Kyungsoo who has a wide smile on his face.

 

Without any warning Jongdae jumps and bawls Kyungsoo over, the other yelping quite loudly at the unexpected action. Kyungsoo lands on his back with a very excited newly shifted wolf on top of him his face in enthusiasm. A laugh bubbles from Kyungsoo chest which carries over to the observing Yifan and Junmyeon as they watch a flour covered Jongdae attack Kyungsoo’s face.

 

The thundering off footsteps can be heard heading towards their direction, obviously coming to suss out what they source of the commotion was. Yixing is the first to round the corner.

 

“What’s going on?” he asks, the others a short distance behind him.

 

When Jongdae hears his voice he stops his attack on Kyungsoo and bounds over to the other Omega. One of his feet slips on the ground causing him to crash into Yixing’s leg. The other grunts a little at the impact but doesn’t seem to bothered by it as when he looks down he sees an unfamiliar wolf looking up at him with his tongue hanging out and tail wagging, however the eyes that look up at him are extremely familiar to all of them.

 

“Oh my god.” Minseok says from behind Yixing having also having noticed his eyes.

 

Yixing gets down onto his knees so he’s nearly eye level with Jongdae. Jongdae brings his face closer and briefly sniffs it before his cheek and Yixing laughs, bringing his hands up to rub behind his ears.

 

Jongdae barks and looks around at the others that had gathered. They all looking at him with equal expressions of surprise and happiness and Jongdae basks at the attention. Jongin who was towards the back comes forward and kneels next to Yixing and Jongdae immediately gravitates towards him. He bumps his nose into the Alphas stomach, the Alphas hands coming up and threading though his fur.

 

“How did this happen?” Luhan asks.

 

“There was a loud noise and it must have startled Jongdae’s wolf to the surface causing him to shift.” Kyungsoo says. At his explanation Chanyeol raises a hand.

 

“That was me.” He confesses.

 

“What did you do to make a noise like that?” Sehun asks.

 

“Me and Sehun were out by the lake and we could even hear it from down there.” Zitao adds, also curious.

 

“Um…”

 

“You know what, I don’t even want to know. Whatever it was it was probably something stupid.” Baekhyun says. “It’s not like it matters anyway. All that matters is that Jongdae has shifted.”

 

“This is so cool.” Zitao says. “Just look at his colouring. White wolves are rare. I’ve never even seen one before.” He stares in fascination.

 

They look at Jongdae and see him pulling away from Jongin and coming towards them. He walks to each of them and smells them, trying to take in their scents in his new form. They still smell the same yet it’s much stronger and he can pick out some little thing he hadn’t been able to smell before.

 

“How about we take Jongdae out on his first run.” Jongin suggests and Jongdae’s ears perk up at that, his head lifting from where it was buried in Junmyeon’s neck.

 

His tail begins to wag madly again and he starts to jump around in circles and yip. Everyone laughs in amusement was his pure enthusiasm. When Jongin starts to move towards the door Jongdae moves quicker, running straight out of it. Luckily it was already open or he wouldn’t have even noticed it in his hast to get outside.

 

By the time everyone is outside Jongdae is rolling around in the grass. The image reminds everyone of an overexcited puppy, which at the moment was exactly what Jongdae was behaving like.

 

“Who’s coming?” Jongin asks his pack members. Everyone one but Minseok, Luhan, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol raise their hand. Minseok and Luhan for obvious reasons and Kyungsoo because he had a kitchen to clean and because it was technically Chanyeol’s fault it was in the state it was in. Kyungsoo wasn’t going to let him get away scot free. Nobody messed with his kitchen. Not even his mate. Not on his watch.

 

They all shift into their own wolf forms and gather around Jongdae who looks at them eagerly. Jongin brushes up against Jongdae and nudges him towards the woods. Getting the hint Jongdae starts to move towards it, the others fanning out to walk with him.

 

Their walk soon turns into a jog and then into a full-fledged run. Jongdae basks in the feeling of the wind ruffling his fur and the sound of it in his ears. He loves the feeling of him running through the trees, dodging obstacles like fallen trees and his pack mates who jump out in front of him playfully. He stumbles a few times as he tries to get used to running on four legs instead of two but those stumbles don’t bother him at all.

 

He doesn’t know how long they are out there in the woods for but Jongdae can feel himself beginning to grow tired, his body not being used to the strain he’s putting it through yet. Jongin corrals them back towards the house and Jongdae plops onto the grass, tongue lolling out in an effort to cool himself off.

 

Baekhyun and Yixing come to lay down beside him. Not being able to resist the urge, Jongdae nips at Baekhyun’s ears, the other turning towards him to growl at him playfully. Jongdae continues and soon they are rolling around together, engaged in a play fight which doesn’t last too long. Baekhyun has Jongdae pinned and not having the energy to fight back Jongdae surrenders but not before giving Baekhyun’s ear another light tug as at that moment he felt extremely playful, his inner beagle making an appearance.

 

Jongin, who was watch the play fight howls, telling everyone to shift and get back inside. They all throw their earlier discarded clothes back on and head into the house. Jongdae whines at that, not wanting to shift back just yet. Jongin comes over and Jongdae muzzle and the other freezes at the action.

 

Jongin then shifts and he is left kneeling in front of the frozen wolf completely . Jongdae snaps out of his daze and see Jongin in all of his glory. He drops his head and lies on the ground covering his eyes with his paws. He’s still not used to people’s ness. He’s sure that if he wasn’t covered in fur his face would be aflame.

 

Jongin laughs at the Omegas embarrassment but goes over to collect his clothes. He pulls them in quickly and goes back over to Jongdae who is still adverting his eyes.

 

“Hey come on. Time to shift back.” He says, causing Jongdae to whine again. He really doesn’t want to shift back yet. He looks up at Jongin with the biggest puppy dog eyes Jongin had ever seen. “No, don’t look at me like that.” Jongin says but Jongdae continues to look up at him like that.

 

Jongdae whines again, pulling his ears back and increasing the intensity of his puppy pout. Jongin tried his hardest not to fall for it but he can feel his resolve beginning to weaken.

 

“Okay, okay. You don’t have to shift just yet.” Jongin caves and Jongdae wags his tail, happy that he had gotten his way. Jongin sighs but there’s a smile on his face as he walks into the house, Jongdae following next to him.

 

“You were ered in by the pout weren’t you?” Luhan comments, a smirk adoring his impish face.

 

Jongin just shrugs. “You try to hold off. It’s literally impossible.”

 

“I would imagine.” Luhan mumbles, flashing a wink in Jongdae’s direction. The still shifted Omega tilts his head to the side in confusion but Luhan just gives him a knowing look and walks off, probably to go and find Minseok. With his due date coming closer and closer Luhan didn’t like being away from his mate for too long.

 

That night everyone spoils him. They feed him food from their plates and pet him until he’s literally drooling in pleasure. Kyungsoo slips some of the cookies that he had made earlier under the table and he munches on them out of sight from everyone else, though from the way Chanyeol looks at him in longing he can tell that Kyungsoo’s actions hadn’t escaped his notice. By the looks of it his mate still hadn’t fully forgiven him rest yet though it wouldn’t be long. No matter how cold Kyungsoo could act at times it was impossible for him to be mad with Chanyeol for too long. The Alpha just had that air around him.

 

Zitao and Sehun are probably the most enthusiastic with their affections. They are constantly by his side, petting him and playing with him. The two maknaes have succeeded in drawing out Jongdae’s playful side and everyone is happy to see it. They loved to see Jongdae so carefree and coming out of his shell a little more.

 

As it got later they all started to slowly head off to bed. Jongdae had his head rested on Zitao’s lap when he felt a tap. Opening his eyes he sees Sehun next to them.

 

“Me and Tao are going to head off now.” He whispers as Zitao had nodded off. Jongdae wasn’t too sure when that had happened. Jongdae gets up so Sehun can pick up his mate. Zitao mutters a few indecipherable words into Sehun’s collar, head lolling to rest on his chest. Sehun bids Jongdae goodnight and then both him and Zitao are gone. He hears their door click shut, leaving him in silence.

 

“Hey. Why are you still up?” Jongin asks, coming out of nowhere. Jongdae drops his head and then rises it again and Jongin takes that as an ‘I don’t know’. “Come on. Everyone else is already asleep. Time for you to go as well.”

 

Jongdae nods his head and follows Jongin down the hall. Jongin is about to open his door when he stops and sees Jongdae sitting beside him and looking at him. He arches a brow in question yet Jongdae makes no move to answer.

 

“Do you want to sleep in my room tonight?” he asks and Jongdae shakes his tail in confirmation. “Alright then.” He says, trying not to sound surprised. Jongin walks in and Jongdae trots on after him. He takes a run up before leaping onto Jongin’s bed, only just making it. He needs more practice.

 

Jongdae trods around in circles trying to find himself a comfortable position to lay in. When he does he plops down and curls into a little ball. After turning off the light Jongin situates himself in the bed as well. Jongin lays down next to Jongdae and gives the Omega a quick pet before pulling the covers over himself.

 

‘He’s a lot bolder when he’s in his wolf form’ is the last thing Jongin thinks before he drifts off to sleep, Jongdae following along moments after.

 

When Jongdae wakes up he feels disorientated. He had no idea where he is. He feels something pressed up against his back and a weight over his waist. He tried to get up, only for that weight to tighten and press him closer to the warmth. He them hears a groan and something pressing itself into the side of his neck. A warm breath starts to tickle his ear and his entire body goes ridged. The scent, more than anything, tells him who that warmth belongs to.

 

As carefully and as gently as possible Jongdae pulls Jongin’s arms off of his waist. Jongin stirs but he doesn’t awaken. He must have shifted while he was asleep but how he ended up in the Alphas arms he had no idea. He carefully inches off the bed and swings his legs over the side. His bare feet touch the ground and it’s then that he realises he’s completely . He face flushes. That means Jongin had been spooning him while he had been .

 

He needed to get out of there. He looks around the room, hoping to spot some clothes for him to wear. In the dimness he spots a loose pair of pants and a hoodie. He tiptoes over to the clothes and pulls them over his body. He gives no pause. Once the clothes are on him he high tales it out of the room and runs over to his own.

 

He buries himself under the covers and lies on his side, staring blankly at the wall. He bunches his hand up on the collar of the borrowed hoodie and breathes in. The strong scent of Jongin invades his senses and it calms down his nerves. The Alphas scent smells so good to him it’s almost unreal. Jongdae manages to fall back asleep surrounded by the Alphas scent.

 

That morning Jongdae tries to act as normal as possible. The key work being ‘try’. Every time Jongin walks into the same room as him or is in his field own view Jongdae turns his eyes away and tires not to look at him. He’s so confused. He doesn’t know why Jongin’s mere presence could do this to him, could make him act this way.

 

Every time he hears him speak or smells him his mind drifts back to the situation that had happened earlier. He remembers the press of Jongin against him, remembers his breath against his neck, remembers the way his wolf basked in being this close to him. The only solace that he has is that Jongin has no idea.

 

But that’s where he’s wrong. Jongin knew. That night he had woken just as Jongdae had slipped on some of his clothes and tiptoed out of the room. He had felt as the spot next to him turned cold as the warmth of the previous occupant had left. He had seen how Jongdae was trying to avoid him that morning and he let him. He understands the he might have felt uncomfortable but he hopes it doesn’t last too long. He really does enjoy spending time with him and not just because he’s physically attracted to him.

 

Jongin’s not the only one who had noticed. Yifan was the first, who had then told his mate. Baekhyun, being the gossiper that he is couldn’t help but tell someone else and soon everyone in the house was clued in. They knew something must have happened but none of them knew what that something was. Baekhyun wanted to intervene but Yixing had put a stop to it.

 

“Let them work it out on their own.” He had told them. “It’s none of our business so we shouldn’t involve ourselves in it. It could cause more harm than good.” He sends a pointed look at Baekhyun who looks at him innocently yet everyone knows he’s far from innocent.

 

The rest of the day is much the same, though Jongdae had worked up the courage to look Jongin in the eyes. The following days get better, they talk to each other and basically fall back into the same routine they had been in before the ‘incident’ yet neither of them had brought it up.

 

 

~X~

 


Part 3 is up. There'll be one more chapter and then an epilogue. The next chapter will be posted within the next couple of days and the epilogue not to long after that. I handed in my last assignment for the semester yay! So all I really have left to do it a couple of quizzes and then exam prep but back to the story. Jongdae has finally shifted!! :D And isn't he a cute little puppy :) Tell me what you think.

 

See you soon~