Chapter 2: Assessment Partners

Behind The Mask

 “Joongki! You’re so handsome!”

 

    “Your sister is just as good looking as you are”

 

    “You guys are sibling goals”

 

    All these fake ‘gems’ were staring and gave out some lies and truth at the Song siblings passing by the corridors, Joongki threw out his famously charming smile to whoever greeted him. However it was different for Baekhee, for her, It felt like their eyes bored into her soul, shredding it out through the dead heart in her chest. Her head was just a brittle egg in their hands.

 

    “Hey, Baekhee! How are you doing?” A girl, who wasn’t Baekhee’s friend or someone she’s acquainted with, grabbed her wrist and greeted her cheerfully, “Oh! Good morning Joongki! the weather today is pretty nice isn’t it?” The girl’s attention diverted to Joongki’s face instantly before letting Baekhee asking, who in the world is this girl.

 

    “Oh, yes! Definitely! It’s totally a nice day with a nice weather” Joongki grinned showing off his eye smiles, “Oh, you’re Baekhee’s friend right? Baekhee, what’s her name?” Joongki’s attention switched to Baekhee who had no idea who that girl was since she pretended to be her friend.

 

    “No no! We’re best friends!” The girl immediately linked her arms around with Baekhee who was uncomfortable, “And my name is Han Yoora, It is nice to meet you”

 

    Joongki glanced at his watch and widened his eyes in surprise, “I have to go now, It was nice meeting you and maybe… talk to you later?” Joongki paused for seconds, “See ya!”

 

    As Joongki disappeared out of sight, the girl who just introduced herself as Han Yoora squealed contentedly but stopped her cheering as her eyes met Baekhee’s, “Thank you for acting”, and walked away.

 

    It was the most sarcastic ‘Thank you’ she has ever heard.

 

    “Nice. Some other girl who I don’t even know used me to talk to Joongki” She brushed it off and went to her first class, music class.

 

    She entered in music class, receiving ‘boos’ and ugly nicknames from everyone, mainly the bully gang, Black Wolf.

 

    5 people in the gang, lead by the leader and the founder, Byun Baekhyun. He is always silent and smiles once in awhile; But once he’s mad, he explodes, gritting his teeth and holds his fists as his nerves can be shaped clearly on his hands. No one would want to see this side of him. Just looking at his facial expressions and his looks, he seems physically challenging.

 

    Kim Jongin (also known as Kai), he has his own specific duty with his good-looking face, he dates people for their money and collects them for the gang was his job. He would get around $100 every time he dates one. He is the most good looking among the gang and is pretty popular as well, which is why Baekhee fell for the trap he set up. He is also a big flirt, sometimes even the girls in the gang aren't excluded.

 

    Park Chanyeol, he stalks specific people, mainly the beautiful and rich girls and obtains information for his gang members. Chanyeol is also currently dating Ahyeon, one of the gang members.

 

    Kim Ahyeon and Lee Hyuna are the pranksters, they give out names, set up pranks and the main bullies. Their tough and brutal looks show their attitude and personality.

 

    The music teacher, Professor Kang, arrived in class and greeted everyone, “Good Morning everyone”

 

    Everyone stood up and bowed to him, responding his good morning, “Good Morning to you too, Professor”

 

    “It’s sad to tell you everyone but, your assessment is coming up next month and you will be assessed with your partner you will be assigned with.” Professor said with a grin who received whines and complaints from the students.

 

    “Professor. It’s not fun if you’re gonna assign us with a random person”

 

    “True, true, what if they ”

 

    “Professor, It would be hard to work with someone with a lower level than I am”

 

    “Now class, I will be announcing your partners now, I will call your names in pairs and from now on, you’ll be sitting next to them for the rest of the semester” Professor started reading out the list filled with the pairs he decided.

 

    “Sehun you’re with Yoora, Ken you’re with Hyuna, Kai you’re with Ahyeon, Chanyeol you’re with Irene, Mark you’re with Bambam...”

 

    Professor Kang listed all the names of the pairs, however, the last pair surprised everyone the most.

 

    “Song Baekhee, you’re with Byun Baekhyun”

 

    Baekhyun instantly growled, changing his poker face into a furious one and shouted at Professor, “Professor! I can’t accept this! Out of all 24 people, you chose me to be with that ‘useless little trash’ here!?” It struck through Baekhee’s chest in a flash like a lightning. She couldn’t believe the fact that Baekhyun called her remarkable nickname in front of everyone, including the professor in the middle of silence.

 

    Professor Kang maintained his calm face, “Baekhyun, in fact, you’re pretty lucky to have Baekhee as your partner, after all, she has her god gifted hands to play her piano gorgeously.”

 

    Baekhee mumbled a thank you from , which was noticeable enough that Professor Kang responded to it with a smile, “You are welcome”

 

    “Professor, I can be Baekhee’s partner if Baekhyun declines it”

 

    All attentions were diverted to the only student, sitting on the back who raised his hand up high with a smile.

 

    Sehun.

 

    “Sehun! I thought that we’re partners already!” Yoora punched Sehuns shoulder with a discontented look, knowing the fact that Sehun is actually very talented when it comes to music is ditching her for another person.

 

    “I’m sorry Sehun, I already set up the pairs and I can’t make any changes”

 

    “Professor, however, Baekhyun refuses to be with Baekhee.”

 

    “He still has to be with her, whether he likes it or not. No more changes” The Professor heated up for a few seconds until he calmed himself automatically.

 

   “Okay now, Get up and sit next to your partner, Let’s go”

 

    Baekhyun fearfully walked towards Baekhee’s table and slammed his thick heavy books and his bag beside her, which gave Baekhee a little surprise along with Baekhyun’s death stares towards her.

 

    “You do know that we’re going to be assessed in partners,” Baekhyun said avoiding eye contact with her, he continued, “Forget all your piano skills, we’re doing something that suits my taste instead”

 

    “Mhm” Baekhee mumbled quietly, lowering her head down.

 

    “Learn the choreography of Monster by EXO. By the end of next month whether you like it or not”

 

School is coming up in 2 days which means that I will barely update and since I just turned into a 10th grader, there will be a lot of IGCSEs preparations and... yeah pretty sad, isn't it? But thanks for the subscriptions~ Y'all are the best :D