Chapter X

Ink
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Okay I want to point out some things. 
1. In case you haven't noticed I am not one to use rhythm and meter in my poems. (*blames Whitman*) 
2. The "~~~" thingy symbolizes flashbacks because it's about time for some flashbacks and memories.
3. The name Alice means nobility and "noblesse oblige" is a French phrase literally meaning "nobility obliges". 
4. I included Umji, because (again) it was about time. 
5. The poem in this chapter kinda sorta has a little to do with the one in Chapter V, just saying. 
6. Thank you for you sweet comments and support, I love you all and I hope you enjoy the chapter. xx

“I want to comeback home,” Sowon’s voice cracked in half a whisper as she held her cellphone to close to her face, fingers gripping on it too tightly.

“I don’t get you anymore,” her best friend’s voice replied in a sigh from the other line of the phone. “You call everyday saying how much you love that place, how much you love the people there and then, out of the blue, once in two weeks you call half crying telling me you want to go home, not even able to explain where the sudden suffocation came from.”

Sowon looked at the town laying in front of her, the cold wind cutting her skin and making her shiver, but she couldn’t bear to get up and leave the academy’s rooftop, somehow waiting to see SinB walk lazily too close to the edge while making some snarky remark. Her fingers started twirling one of her shoe ties again as nothing but Umji’s impatient breath was heard from the other line of the phone. Because Sowon knew Umji cared. She knew Umji would wait days and weeks until Sowon felt comfortable to tell her what was wrong, but lately Sowon couldn’t even make out herself what was triggering her this much.

Of course, Sowon knew that it was all revolving around the younger girl, the one with the devilish smirk and icy eyes. The girl who likes to her lips way too often and is always complaining. The girl who made the best kind of tea mixed with whiskey she had tried as Yerin had pointed out. Sowon smiled at the memory of SinB trying to teach her how to make it. 

~~~

“That’s not how you do it,” SinB groaned for the thousand time, pushing up the long sleeves of Sowon’s hoodie that she was wearing.

“It would be so much easier if we just used tea bags instead of this thingy dry flower, whatever it is,” Sowon said whining and jumping up and down annoyed.

“Start boiling the damn water and add a handful of those ‘thingy dry flowers whatever they are’,” SinB said in a mocking tone.

“Like this?” Sowon asked, but she was greeted with a loud sigh and a pair of hands pulling her back from the kitchen counter.

“Don’t. Even. Try.” The younger girl said, every word rolling off of her lips in a harsh tone that made Sowon’s cheeks turn into a deep rose.

She watched as SinB tapped on the floor patiently waiting for the tea to be done, her hair beautifully falling on her face. Sowon took a step closer, tangling her hand in SinB's hair from the behind and pushing it on the left, exposing the younger girl’s neck, giving it a sweet peck before resting her head on her shoulder, her hands wrapped around her waist.

And that’s the moment when Sowon felt her heart break for the first time. Not because she couldn’t make the tea, but because of how domestic this whole thing was. Her waking up next to SinB on a Saturday morning, the younger girl wearing nothing but her underwear and one of Sowon’s hoodies, them making tea to start the day, cuddled up in each other’s arms in a comfortable silence that was only broken by the tapping of raindrops on the large window of the dorm room. It broke Sowon, because in that little moment she could see a glimpse of the future she would never have with the other girl.

~~~

“Sowon,” Umji’s voice took the memories away and brought her back to reality.

“Yeah?” she mumbled to her best friend and got up from the rooftop.

“You have until dinner to figure what is wrong and tell me about it. I have to go now,” Umji said in a strict voice that Sowon always thought was impressive coming from such a sweet figure.

“Okay,” Sowon mumbled again.

“Good then. Bye So,” she said sighing, knowing very well how Sowon had probably zoomed out and was staring into distance. “I miss you being home too,” she then added before turning off the phone.

Sowon dragged herself on the streets of the city, a pen twisting and turning on her fingers, the wind getting colder while cutting her skin, but not cold enough to make Sowon believe that it was the younger girl’s hands touching her, not cold enough to make Sowon not miss her more.

Her eyes lazily shifted towards the park

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter