sept

Âmes Soeurs
Please log in to read the full chapter

SEPT

 It’s getting warmer and warmer in the weather as the days pass. They’re getting busier at the clinic because the vet two blocks down have had to close and that means that all their patients are now coming to Chung Wha Animal Hospital instead. Kibum shakes his head slightly to keep himself awake and then turns to look at Joohyun who looks just as tired as he does. She disappears into her office with a small smile and Kibum calls out for the next patient. He’s surprised to find Taeyeon and Eve in the waiting room but he doesn’t have time to think about it when the man with the small chihuahua walks towards him and into his office.

When he finally has a small break for lunch he finds Joohyun and Changkyun in the staff room. Changkyun is almost sleeping into his lunch and Kibum pats his shoulder a little in sympathy. Joohyun looks up.

“Maybe we should hire another vet,” she says towards Kibum. Kibum takes his lunch from the refrigerator and nods a little as he turns around.

“And another veterinarian nurse,” Changkyun chimes in and yawns again. Then he seems to remember something and he curses before he gets up so he can clean and leave the staff room. Kibum looks after him with a sympathetic look.

“He’s right. He’s been busier than we have,” he says and Joohyun nods her agreement. “But we need another office if we hire another vet. A nurse would help out, though.” They spend their lunch break discussing the possibilities of hiring another veterinarian nurse.

When Kibum finally gets off of work he yawns. He has had a horribly busy day just like the day before and he’s tired. All he wants now is to get home so he can soak in the shower and forget how busy he’s been. He doesn’t get to day dream about a long, hot shower for more than a minute, however, before his phone starts ringing. Kibum blinks when he sees the name calling. It takes another 2 rings before Kibum realizes that he’s just staring at his phone. He fumbles with the device before he finally accepts the call.

“Hello?” There’s silence on the other end and Kibum can hear his own heartbeat. It’s making him even more nervous.

“Kibum?” the voice says after what feels like forever. Kibum breathes a sigh of relief and smiles. He passes by an elderly lady that sells vegetables on the street and sends her a wide smile.

“Yes,” he says and he can hear the other breathe of relief as well.

“Do you want to meet up? I end my shift in 15 minutes and I think I owe you an apology.” Kibum bites his lower lip and shakes his head until he realizes he can’t be seen.

“Oh, sure. Where do you want to meet up?” He’s on his way down the stairs to the metro station when the other talks again and suggests they meet up at a small café downtown and Kibum turns in the middle of the stairs and nearly crashes into a young woman who glares at him. Kibum is in too good a mood to let it affect him, however. They agree to meet up there and Kibum hangs up a few seconds later. He doesn’t want the other man to apologize, he has nothing to apologize for, but the fact that they’re going to talk is making Kibum slightly relieved.

He arrives first and orders a coffee before he finds a table. He sheds his jacket and lets it hang over the chair next to him. Jonghyun arrives 20 minutes later with quick steps and worried glances and Kibum waves his hand slightly to get his attention. When they get eye contact, Jonghyun seems to relax a little and he makes his way towards Kibum’s table so he can put his jacket and bag on his chair.

“I’ll just order,” he says and points back towards the desk. Kibum nods and sends him off with a smile. 3 minutes later Jonghyun comes back with a cup of coffee and sits opposite of Kibum. There’s silent between them for an additional 30 seconds before Kibum clears his throat.

“You don’t have to apologize, by the way. I’m just happy you want to talk to me.” Jonghyun looks confused for a couple of seconds before he looks towards the table and focuses on his coffee. Kibum can feel his heart sink in his chest. He doesn’t want to say something wrong that will make Jonghyun leave. Jonghyun takes a sip of his coffee before he looks up and gets eye contact with Kibum.

“I shouldn’t have left.” There’s a pause where Jonghyun bites his lower lip in thought and Kibum looks at him with his heart beating frantically in his heart, afraid of Jonghyun leaving again. “It’s just … I can’t believe you have three soulmates.”

“Four,” Kibum corrects him and Jonghyun sends him a questioning gaze. “You’re my fourth soulmate.” Jonghyun nods a little ashamed and looks towards the table again. Kibum takes a sip of his coffee and the silence sinks over them again as they both wait for the other to take initiative to start the conversation again. Kibum finishes his coffee before he musters up his courage but Jonghyun talks first.

“Who are they?” he asks in a small voice and takes a sip of his coffee, avoiding eye contact with Kibum. Kibum swallows the lump in his throat and fingers the rim of his coffee cup before he answers.

“Jinki is my first soulmate, we went to high school together. He’s a chef, works at Acapella downtown.” Jonghyun widens his eyes in recognition at the name of the restaurant and mutters something Kibum can’t make out. “My second soulmate is called Minho. He works in Citibank. The third one is called Taeyeon and works as a climbing instructor.” When Kibum finishes his short introduction Jonghyun drinks the last of his coffee and sends him a timid smile.

“Can I meet them?” he asks and Kibum blinks a little in surprise.

“Now?” Jonghyun nods at Kibum’s question and Kibum stutters a little. He doesn’t know their work schedules or if they’re up to meeting his fourth soulmate. Jinki and Minho may be if they’re not busy because they seem to have accepted the fact that he has a new soulmate. Taeyeon is probably going to be a little less willing to meet up with Jonghyun and especially without warning. Kibum sighs a little and then looks up. “I don’t know if they’re busy.” There’s silence as Jonghyun nods in understanding.

“I don’t really get how it works,” he admits a couple of seconds later and Kibum looks at Jonghyun.

“I don’t really know how it happened either, but we make it work. Jinki, Minho and I are in a polyamorous relationship, Taeyeon is platonic.” Kibum finds his phone when he hears the notification sound of an incoming text message. He smiles as he reads through it and when he returns his attention back to Jonghyun he notices a smile playing on the other man’s lips that hasn’t been there earlier. There’s still a little apprehension in his eyes and he still seems to be a little on edge with the conversation topic and the idea that his soulmate, the one that was supposed to be only for him, has multiple soulmates, but the more time passes, the more the idea seems to sink in. It’s not like either of them can do anything to change it. Kibum pockets his phone again and turns to Jonghyun.

“Do you want to eat dinner at our house? I know it’s fast but Jinki says he has a new recipe he wants to try out and they’re usually super delicious. That way you would get to meet them too?” Kibum suggests and Jonghyun fumbles with his finger ring and drops it onto the table.

“I promised my sister to be home so I could eat with her. Next time maybe?” There’s a small smile but Kibum has a feeling it is an excuse. He doesn’t say anything, just nods and tells Jonghyun that it’s okay. Jonghyun nods and apologizes once again for walking away when Kibum had first told about the multiple soulmates. It has Kibum chuckling a little and assuring Jonghyun that it’s okay. Kibum understands.

When they part ways an hour later Kibum is sure he’ll hear from Jonghyun again, but it may take some time for the man to warm up to the idea of sharing Kibum, even if he has accepted that he will never be the only one. Jinki presents him with a plate of chicken and a sauce Kibum has never seen in his life when he comes home. When he asks what it is Jinki refuses to answer. Kibum looks at Jinki when they’re done with eating and sends his back a smile. Jonghyun will fit in perfectly but he’ll wait for him to come around, just like he waits for Taeyeon. There’s no rush.

 

Jinki approaches him a few days later when Kibum is lying on the couch, reading a fashion magazine. Minho is feeding Seondeok and Yoojin is drawing in her room. Jinki places his hands on Kibum’s shoulders and gains his attention that way. Kibum just raises an eyebrow in question at him. Jinki looks around the room as if he’s avoiding Kibum and that has Kibum slightly worried until they get eye contact.

“Can Joon be best man?” he asks, voice low. Minho turns around when he closes the enclosure and leaves the living room so he can put the frozen mice away in the kitchen again. Kibum just looks at Jinki, gaze questioning. “We never really talked about it, I know, but … It would mean a lot to me if it’s okay?” Kibum just nods.

“Sure,” he says and sees Jinki exhale deeply as if he had been nervous to answer. “But I want to walk up the aisle with my husband-to-be. No fathers.” Jinki just sends him a small smile and nods.

“Of course, of course.” Jinki gently nods towards the bedroom before he leaves Kibum on the couch to his magazine again. Kibum looks towards Jinki and sees his back disappearing behind the corner. Minho enters the living room a second later and plops down on the couch beside Kibum. He turns on the TV so he can watch the news and Kibum returns to his magazine. When Kibum places his magazine on the table 30 seconds later he pulls Minho against him and the taller man rests against Kibum’s shoulder. Yoojin enters the living room at that moment and scrunches up her nose and pretends not to see her father and his soulmate.

 

Kibum is more than surprised when he enters Acapella and spots Jonghyun with a woman. Jonghyun doesn’t notice him and Kibum turns his back to the table so he can focus on the waitress in front of him. She guides him to a table for two and hands him a menu. She’s new. He knows Jinki has been complaining about new staff even though Jinki isn’t manager. He had deliberately turned down that position so he could focus on cooking.

Kibum orders a steak diane and then directs his attention to the blond man and his female companion a few tables away. Jonghyun still hasn’t noticed him. He’s talking animatedly and this has Kibum smiling fondly. Kibum spends longer eating than he usually does as he observes the man he now calls his soulmate as well. He’s contemplating whether or not he should talk to him when Jinki plops down in the seat opposite of his and obscures the view. Jinki turns back to find what Kibum is looking at but when he doesn’t find it, he turns back to Kibum again.

“What are you looking at?” he asks and Kibum sends him a smile.

“Hello to you too,” he says and Jinki rolls his eyes and awaits an answer to his question. Kibum sighs. “My soulmate is here.” Jinki blinks in confusion.

“I work here?” he says and it has Kibum snorting with laughter.

“Not you, silly. Jonghyun.” Kibum can see Jinki thinking. He’s about to ask who Jonghyun is when he remembers and widens his eyes and turns around in his chair so he can look at the guests. “Yah!” Kibum whispers and slaps Jinki’s hand. Jinki turns to look at Kibum again.

“You don’t want me to meet him?” Jinki is pouting and Kibum rolls his eyes and finishes his dinner. Jinki is still pouting when Kibum looks up from his plate and he sighs.

“Will you stop it and act like you’re 28, please?”

Jinki doesn’t stop. It has Kibum shaking his head slightly at the immature behavior of the older man but he loves him too much to be annoyed by it. He leans over the table and pecks Jinki’s lips and Jinki lights up in a smile.

“Seriously, though? Shouldn’t you introduce us?” Jinki asks and Kibum shrugs a little.

“He’d be such an unfortunate soul if he was to meet you. I’m not sure I want to subject him to that.”

Jinki looks positively offended at that and Kibum just sends him a smirk.

“I’m not that bad,” Jinki murmurs but none of them gets to say anymore before another presence joins their table and both of them look up. Kibum widens his eyes when he gets eye contact with Jonghyun. Jonghyun is fumbling with his finger ring nervously and Jinki lights up in a big smile. It’s comfortable and safe but Jonghyun doesn’t seem to appreciate it.

“Hey Kibum,” he says and Kibum sends him a smile, smaller than Jinki’s but it has Jonghyun smiling slightly too. Then Jonghyun braves himself and looks at Jinki. He reaches a hand out towards the older man and Jinki shakes it. Kibum almost feels jealous at the sight of their locked hands despite it being too formal to be anything other than a first meeting.

“Lee Jinki,” Jinki says and Jonghyun introduces himself by name as well. Jinki is about to suggest something when his phone starts ringing. He takes a look at the caller ID and then gestures behind him to indicate that he has to take the call. Jonghyun turns his attention back to Kibum.

“I wasn’t expecting to meet you here,” Kibum says and then looks around Jonghyun to the woman that stands a few meters away. His gaze has Jonghyun remembering her and he turns around and sends her a smile.

“I should probably get back. Enjoy your evening.” Jonghyun sends Kibum a smile and turns back towards the woman. Jinki comes back then with a frown displayed on his face. Kibum gets up to meet him but Jinki just quickly grabs his shoulders.

“Can you get home by yourself? My mother ended up at the hospital; it’s not severe but my father needs me there. I’ll be home late.” He kisses Kibum and when Kibum nods he hurries off, almost running out of the restaurant. Kibum gathers his things, pays for his meal and says goodbye to the new waitress and when he walks out of the restaurant and into the fresh evening breeze, he takes a deep breath. He’ll have to take the metro home.

He starts walking towards the metro station when he stops and looks up at the dark sky. He hopes Jinki meant it when he said it wasn’t severe. He likes his mother-in-law. The more he stares into the stars that start popping onto the night sky, the worse he feels for letting Jinki leave him. He should be there to support his fiancé. It’s not that he’s busy because he isn’t. He’s a bad fiancé. Kibum sighs a little before he starts walking again, his steps heavy with guilt. Minho knows that something is off the minute he sets foot in the house and wraps his arms around him in a hug. Kibum doesn’t say anything but he doesn’t need to. He can’t say much anyway, even if he had chosen to speak.

They go to bed later that evening but Kibum can’t sleep. He hasn’t gotten a text back from Jinki when he had asked if his mother was alright and it bothers him. He keeps turning in the sheets, Minho’s usual heat no longer comforting. Kibum sighs as he gets out of bed and wanders through the house aimlessly. He keeps walking between the front door and the living room, waiting patiently for Jinki to return.

When he does fall asleep, it’s on the couch at 4 AM.

 

His neck is hurting when he wakes up a few hours later and Kibum groans in pain. He can hear Yoojin talking excitedly to someone in the kitchen. At first, he assumes it’s Minho but then Jinki’s voice sounds from the kitchen and Kibum scrambles off the couch and into the kitchen. There are 4 people in the kitchen and they all turn to Kibum. He just stares at them. Minho sends him a smile and reaches out to take his hand, Taeyeon nurses a cup of hot chocolate next to Yoojin that has been talking about soccer practice and Jinki is reading the newspaper. Kibum blinks a little when Minho grabs his hand and then time starts again. Yoojin continues her talk and Taeyeon nods enthusiastically at the right moments, Jinki returns to the newspaper and Minho pulls Kibum closer to him so Kibum can plop down in his lap.

“Slept well?” Minho asks and Kibum cracks his neck and winces slightly. Minho just chuckles at the sight. Kibum doesn’t even have to say how awful he slept on the couch and how tired he still is because Minho knows already. Kibum leans his back against the strong chest behind him and Minho rests his chin on Kibum’s shoulder. Then he really registers that Taeyeon is in their apartment. What is she doing here?

He doesn’t get to ask before a yawn forces its way out and Jinki automatically slides his coffee in the general direction of Minho and Kibum. Kibum grabs it and takes a swig. Taeyeon starts laughing at that and Yoojin looks at her confused, not understanding what’s so funny to her. Taeyeon just shakes her head and tells Yoojin she’ll take her for an outdoor climb when the weather turns even better in May. Minho protests loudly and tells Taeyeon that she can’t take his daughter and do extreme sports with her. Taeyeon just rolls her eyes and dares Minho to join them. Kibum continues drinking the rest of Jinki’s coffee and when Jinki puts the newspaper down, Kibum remembers that his mother had been hospitalized the evening before. He turns towards Jinki quickly, hitting Minho lightly in the chest in his movements.

“How’s your mother?” he asks and everybody turns to Jinki. Jinki just waves a hand in the air to wave Kibum’s concern away.

“It was a bacterial infection that caused a high fever. They sent her home with antibiotics after her fever went down a little. She’ll be fine. I told my father to call if he needs help.” Kibum nods a little and Jinki gets up from his chair. When he passes Kibum and Minho he presses a quick kiss to Kibum’s lips and grabs his empty coffee mug so he can get a refill. Taeyeon and Yoojin look at each other and grimace. Their gesture has Kibum laughing and he puckers his lips out towards them.

Kibum takes a shower 30 minutes later. Minho has asked Yoojin and Taeyeon to move in the kitchen so he can finish the budget for Yoojin’s soccer club.

When Kibum enters the living room, Taeyeon is eyeing Seondeok skeptically.

“Where’s Yoojin?” Kibum asks and Taeyeon jumps a little on the couch at the sudden question. She winces and then points towards the hallway.

“She wanted to show me Dangun,” she says but doesn’t manage to mask her displeasure. Kibum snorts a little and sits down beside her.

“Why are you here?” Kibum asks after a few minutes of silence. Taeyeon just sends him a smirk at that.

“Minho wanted to discuss something with me.” Kibum knows he’s not going to get more answers, even if he asks more so he drops the issue.

“It’s nice you’re here.” Taeyeon nods a little and Yoojin enters again, the ball python curled around her neck. Taeyeon swallows visibly and Kibum scoots over to make space between them. Yoojin plops down in the middle of the couch and turns to Taeyeon and asks her if she wants to touch. She declines politely. Kibum sits in silence and observes them while Yoojin talks enthusiastically about Dangun and Seondeok and it’s only when the discomfort on Taeyeon’s face becomes too much that he asks Yoojin to put Dangun back in his enclosure. Yoojin pouts at him but Kibum just shakes his head at her. She gets up slowly but does what she’s asked. Kibum just turns to Taeyeon and first now really looks at her. She’s dressed in a pair of jeans and a white t-shirt.

“Tae?” he asks and she turns to look at him.

“Min,” he says and Kibum nods. Then he feels at fault for not asking earlier. He should have asked when he saw him in the morning first thing. Taemin places his hand on Kibum’s shoulder. “Don’t worry, I was Taeyeon two minutes ago.” This has Kibum raising a questioning eyebrow but Taemin doesn’t elaborate. Instead, he leans back on the couch. Kibum just looks at him. The guilt of not asking comes back a few seconds later and Kibum bites his cheek before he turns towards Taemin.

“Still, I should’ve asked,” Kibum says. Taemin just shrugs.

“It’s really no big deal.” Kibum has a feeling that it’s a lie but doesn’t say anymore. There’s no reason to discuss it if Taemin isn’t in the mood for discussing things. That is one thing he has learned in the time he has known Taemin. If the other doesn’t want to talk about something there’s no need to prod as it will only leave him more closed off and harder to get close to.

Jinki leaves the house an hour later with Minho. They say it’s secrets and Kibum glares after them when the front door is shut. Taemin laughs from the living room where he and Yoojin have engaged in a game of Uno. Kibum joins them. Time flies by like that until Yoojin asks Kibum if she can play with a classmate that lives close by. Kibum takes a look at his watch and frowns when he notices it’s 4 in the afternoon and tells Yoojin no. She isn’t very satisfied with that response and she stomps her way to her bedroom, slamming the door shut to make sure Kibum knows just how mad she is. Kibum doesn’t follow her. Taemin looks at both of them before he sighs and turns to look at the floor.

“How are the wedding preparations going?” Taemin asks out of the blue and Kibum widens his eyes in confusion for a second or two before he understands. He leans back against the couch and sends Taemin a small smile.

“Slowly moving forward. We don’t know much yet. But we have a date so I suppose that’s a start.” Taemin nods and then proceeds to ask if Kibum is busy in the week that’s about to come. They arrange to meet up the following Friday after work and Yoojin stomps past them and into the kitchen the next second, still mad.

 

Taemin greets him Friday afternoon and drags him towards the shopping district. He’s mumbling something about a trip he and his co-workers have planned for the weekend but Kibum doesn’t fully catch it. Instead of elaborating Taemin drags him into a high-end fashion store that displays tailored suits and he looks around until he catches Taemin’s gaze.

“Why…?” he starts but the salesman interrupts hi

Please log in to read the full chapter