cinq

Âmes Soeurs
Please log in to read the full chapter

CINQ

 The living room is full of balloons and there’s a plethora of cupcakes, macarons and a Charlotte cake on the coffee table. There’s a banner saying Happy Birthday hanging in the ceiling and Kibum is walking around turning on the electric candles. When the front door opens the noise of 15 young kids fills his ears. He’s not sure how Minho managed to get them all home but he isn’t given time to speculate when Yoojin and her classmates join him in the living room. He recognizes Minwoo and sends him a wave and then greets them.

Kibum knows that it isn’t all her classmates that have been invited to her birthday but he never questioned why. He left Minho to actually ask the questions. Someone makes wide eyes at the cakes and Yoojin puffs out her chest in proudness and Minho can’t help but chuckle.

“Song first,” he says when people sit on the couch and on the floor, ready to dig in. A girl Kibum hasn’t seen before turns towards Yoojin and sends her a big smile and starts singing. The rest soon chimes in. It isn’t beautiful by any means but it makes Yoojin smile and laugh and as soon as they’re done they dig in. Yoojin hasn’t opened any of her presents yet but seeing her enjoy her company is more than enough.

Minho wraps his hand around Kibum’s waist and looks as the children eat the sweet pastries Jinki has been working to make in the past week. Soon enough they’re done with eating and Minho proposes a game. Kibum sinks away into the kitchen with the rest of the cake and some of the cupcakes so he can start putting them in the refrigerator. He hears the music and the laughter, Minho joining in once in a while and the whine of ‘dad’ that comes from Yoojin at times. It makes him smile.

He doesn’t know how many hours the house is full of 7 and 8-year-olds but when they say goodbye to the last of Yoojin’s classmates the silence of the house becomes a lot more intense. Yoojin sinks onto the couch and looks at her father with a pleased smile. Kibum is sitting next to her and she puts her feet onto the arm rest so she can rest her head in his lap.

“Dad?” she says and repeats herself when he doesn’t answer. Minho hums from the bedroom and Yoojin gets up from the couch again. Kibum can hear her ask for her presents and they enter the living room a couple of minutes later, Minho carrying her presents. Yoojin is yawning when she opens them but the shriek of happiness and the way she jumps into Minho’s lap tells Kibum that the Crazy Lights Magic Water Speakers are a hit. She’s gotten a necklace and a Monopoly game from her grandparents.

When she opens the present from Kibum and Jinki she gets wide-eyed and turns to look at him. Kibum ignores the disapproving look he gets from Minho.

“Really?!” she asks and Kibum nods. She turns to look at Minho with wide puppy eyes. “Can I dad?” Minho vaguely brushes the question away and Yoojin soon forgets as she starts unpacking her last present.

Later in the evening when Yoojin has been sent into the bathroom to get ready for bed, Minho corners Kibum in the kitchen and looks at him.

“A gift card for ear piercings?” he asks and Kibum blinks innocently. “She’s 8!” Kibum shrugs and tries to get away from Minho but the taller man grabs his wrist so he can’t escape.

“What? It’s just lobe piercings,” he says and Minho sighs and loosens his grip on Kibum so he can run both hands through his hair.

“She’s 8,” he repeats resignedly and Kibum sends him a smile.

“It’ll be fine.” He leaves Minho in the kitchen so he can find Yoojin and tell her goodnight. Afterwards he turns towards the hallway so he can greet his fiancé as he arrives home from an exhausting shift.

 

“Kibum!” someone shouts throughout the house. Kibum is barely awake and he doesn’t react to his name being called. Instead he turns around and pulls the covers over his head. He’s yawning when the blanket is removed and his name is called again. He blinks a little, only to find Minho next to him.

“What?” he says, voice hoarse with sleep. Minho just clicks his tongue in disapproval before he grabs Kibum’s wrist and tugs him up in a sitting position.

“You have guests and they are not happy.” Kibum runs a hand over his face and cracks his neck.

“Who is it?” he asks. He can’t imagine anyone coming to visit him today. Minho doesn’t say anything but leaves the bedroom with a disapproving head shake. It takes Kibum another 2 minutes before he gets out of bed. He’s wearing Minho’s white T-shirt and a pair of pajamas pants he has stolen from Jinki that are an inch or two too short. His hair is ruffled with sleep and he doesn’t even bother to fix his hair before he enters the living room. There’s a scent of freshly baked baguette coming from the kitchen and Yoojin is running to her room, hair brush in hand. Minho is talking to someone in the hallway and Kibum lazily walks out to see who has come to visit him. Kibum blinks a little when he sees the two people in the hallway.

“Mom?” he says and gains her attention. She sends him a smile and his father sends a small wave before he turns back to hand Minho his coat. Kibum then becomes painfully aware of his appearance and he takes a step back. “I’ll be back in a second!” Then he turns around and hurries back into the bedroom. What are his parents doing here? He knew he’d given them their new address but he still hasn’t told them about Minho and the multiple soulmates he has been granted. How can he introduce them with Minho when he hasn’t even introduced Jinki and Minho to Taeyeon? This is a mess. He quickly gets dressed in a simple shirt and a pair of jeans and he hurries into the bathroom to comb his hair and wash his face quickly.

When he reemerges, his parents are in the kitchen with Jinki and Minho. Jinki has been serving a light breakfast for Kibum’s parents and he’s now laughing at some story his father has told him. Minho is trying not to seem too nervous but Kibum can see it in his posture. Kibum sends his mother a smile before he settles down in a chair.

“I didn’t know you had moved in with someone, Kibum,” she says and he can feel the judgmental tone in her voice. It sends a shiver through his body and he has to swallow a little before he sends her a small smile and laces his fingers with Minho’s so he can calm the other man. Jinki is trying his hardest to keep Kibum’s father occupied and Kibum feels immensely grateful for his fiancé.

“Mom, this is Choi Minho,” he says and squeezes Minho’s hand under the table. He doesn’t get to say anything else before Yoojin hurries into the kitchen and latches onto Minho’s shoulder.

“Dad,” she whines and pouts a little at him. Minho turns around to look at her. “Do you know what day it is today?” she asks and Minho nods slightly.

“I’m coming in a moment, sweetheart,” he says and kisses her forehead and Yoojin nods defeated before she leaves them in the kitchen. Then he turns to look at Kibum and Kibum sends him a small smile. “I have to go,” Minho says and turns to Kibum’s mother. “It was nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Kim.” He gets off the chair, bows his head towards Kibum’s parents and then turns around so he can find Yoojin in the house. Kibum bites his lower lip as he turns towards his parents, his father now focused on Kibum as well.

“What happened to your old apartment?” his mother asks and Jinki sighs a little and gets up from the chair he was in so he can start cleaning up. Kibum just sighs deeply before he looks up to face his parents.

“It’s ... It’s a long story but Minho is my soulmate too so we figured it was easier if we all lived together instead of away from each other.” The silence is deafening in its wake until his mother gasps and points to Kibum’s neck. That’s when Kibum realizes that he’s wearing a t-shirt and Taeyeon’s curse words are visible on his neck. “No, it’s…” He doesn’t get to say anymore before Jinki places his arms on Kibum’s shoulders, leans close to his back and folds his hands in front of Kibum’s chest, effectively hiding the words on his neck.

“Did you like the breakfast, mother?” Jinki asks and Kibum turns to look at his fiancé. Jinki just sends him a smile before he turns back to Kibum’s mother. Kibum blinks stupidly.

“It was lovely dear, but …” she says and meets Kibum’s eyes. “Can I perhaps talk to my son alone?” Jinki presses a reassuring kiss to Kibum’s cheek and asks his father if he wants to see the rest of the house. Kibum can feel his father hesitate before he gets up. The door closes behind them and Kibum is left with his mother.

“Another soulmate?” she asks, confused and slightly hurt. It makes Kibum’s heart fall.

“Yeah, I … I’m sorry I hid it for you. Meeting Minho wasn’t exactly in my plans 10 years ago and it all just moved so quickly. I didn’t know how to tell you.” There’s silence between them for what feels like an eternity.

“Who's the small girl?” Kibum bites his lower lip at the question before he sighs a little and answers.

“It’s Minho’s daughter. Her mother died when she was 4 so he’s been alone with her ever since.” His mother nods a little and then shakes her head a little.

“I wish you had told us instead of hiding it. I’ve been talking about when you and Jinki are going to get married and then I come here and you suddenly have another soulmate and … how does all this even work, Kibum?” She looks even more confused as she finally starts to think the logistics of everything through. He’s not sure she’ll condone of their relationship at all and although she was understanding about him having a male soulmate at the age of 17, he just can’t be that hopeful about her understanding this three-male relationship, not including Taeyeon.

“We … are all in a relationship. I’m still engaged to Jinki but I’m also in a relationship with Minho and Minho and Jinki are dating as well.” Kibum can practically see her thinking as she tries to figure out how everything works together.

“Are they...?” she asks and Kibum shakes his head no. He doesn’t even have to hear her question to answer it. Then she points towards his neck and Kibum covers the words there embarrassed.

“It’s not Minho’s words,” he says. “Minho doesn’t really swear, it’s … another soulmate. Jinki and Minho haven’t met her yet.” He can see his mother give up with a sigh.

“How many soulmates do you have?” Kibum almost fears that she’ll disown him for being such an abnormality but despite her hurt and her confusion it doesn’t seem like she’s angry.

“3,” he says and slinks into his seat. He doesn’t get to say anything before the kitchen door opens and Minho pops his head in to send Kibum a small smile.

“Yoojin and I will be leaving for the afternoon. Don’t worry about us for dinner.” With a nod of his head towards Kibum’s mother he pulls away and closes the door after him. Kibum’s mother gets up from her seat. Kibum just looks at her confused as she stands before him. Without a word she pulls him to his feet and wraps her hands around him in a slightly awkward embrace. The small woman pats his back and Kibum curls closer to her as he wraps his arms around her too. He feels like a small child for a second before she draws away and pats his cheek.

“Tell us next time, sweetie,” she says and Kibum swallows the lump in his throat and nods. “Now show me the house.”

She’s not as impressed with Seondeok as Kibum’s father is.

 

Kibum is leaning against Jinki’s chest while the other man is sitting on the couch, reading. Kibum has been looking through a magazine but finished before Jinki and now he’s just enjoying the warmth and safety the other man is enveloping him in without being aware of it. Jinki barely looks up from his book when the door opens but Kibum peeks up and trains his eyes on the door to the hallway. Yoojin comes first, dressed in a black knee-long dress, her hair put into slightly uneven pigtails. She doesn’t look at Kibum and Jinki on the couch as she walks towards her room. Minho comes a little later, dressed in a black shirt and a black pair of jeans. Kibum raises an eyebrow and reaches a hand out towards the taller man when he comes into the living room. Jinki shifts behind him but Kibum ignores him. Minho sounds resigned when he sits on the couch beside Kibum’s feet and Kibum shifts a little so he can invite Minho closer.

“You look like you’ve had a tough day, babe,” Kibum says and Minho just sighs again but he leans against Kibum’s chest, long legs pulled towards himself so he can stay in the position.

“We go to visit Sooyoung’s grave with her parents every year on the day she died. It’s …” he hesitates for a couple of seconds “… tough on all of us. But I can’t let Yoojin forget her mother and her grandparents need us there. I don’t want to take Yoojin away from them either. It’s not their fault that Sooyoung and I weren’t meant to be and they love Yoojin.” Minho smiles back at him sadly and Kibum wraps his hands around Minho’s midsection to hold him close. Kibum turns around when he feels Jinki’s hands on his arms, trying to reach for Minho too. Jinki has put the book away but is only silently trying to comfort Minho. Kibum returns to the single father again and pulls Minho as close as he possibly can.

Yoojin enters the living room a minute later, no longer dressed in her black dress but in her pajamas instead. There are barely space on the couch but she climbs into Minho’s lap anyway as he spreads his legs to make space for her. Minho doesn’t say anything, just holds his daughter close. There’s silence in the living room but Kibum can feel the love spread in the room and that’s enough for him to be reassured. They’re going to be okay.

 

The next time he meets Taeyeon she’s dressed in a beige jumpsuit with a low cut. The black fur coat to keep her warm is slung over the chair next to hers. He isn’t really doubting that she’s Taeyeon but she tells him as soon as he sits down in the café anyway. The man from the first time isn’t there but Taeyeon doesn’t seem too uncomfortable with Kibum alone. It makes Kibum feel strangely happy to know that they’re getting closer despite how reserved she had been to begin with. She launches into an annoyed rant about her boss at the climbing hall and how he’d been demanding that she started teaching another team consisting of mainly adults and how much she hates teaching adults because they’re so stubborn and not at all like children. Where children are accepting, adults are judging and she isn’t exactly in the mood to deal with their . Kibum just listens while he sips on his latte.

When she finishes her rant with a huff and a sip of her hot chocolate Kibum sends her a smile and asks to her tattoos. He’d noticed the half-sleeve once but hadn’t given it much thought. Now that he sits in front of her and the tattoo is on full display, however, it catches his attention. Taeyeon turns to look at her tattoo too as if she can’t remember that it’s actually there and then she shrugs a little.

“It’s just representative of me,” she says and dismisses his curiosity. Kibum swallows his questions and tries not to force her to tell him things she doesn’t want to say. He can see her eyes landing on the ring on his finger but she doesn’t ask either and Kibum feels the stab of sadness at the thought that they really aren’t as close as he thought they were. Of course being soulmates doesn’t automatically grant knowledge about the other person but it still hurts a little to see her closed off and afraid to ask questions. Kibum doesn’t acknowledge that she’s been looking, however. He wants her to feel comfortable enough to ask.

The conversation turns to the weather and soon enough they’re discussing the biggest scandals in the entertainment industry. Taeyeon laughs when Kibum tells her a particularly stupid supposed scandal and they talk about how ridiculous fans can get when they’re protective of their favorite artists. Kibum finishes his latte at the same time Taeyeon finishes her hot chocolate and she gets up. She grabs her coat and takes a step away from her chair only to step into a puddle of water and almost slip in her wedges. Kibum steadies her with a hand and she smiles friendly at him. It has Kibum’s heart pounding but in a way he has never experienced before. He shrugs it off as she thanks him and gets on her feet. They split in front of the café. Kibum is about to send her a text to say thanks for the hour spent when his phone rings in his hand. He isn’t expecting Jinki to call him but his proposal is even more unexpected.

“Why?” he questions but Jinki doesn’t tell him anything, just asks him to meet up at Acapella in 30 minutes.

It takes Kibum 40 minutes to get to Acapella but Jinki is waiting for him outside, hands in his jacket pockets. Kibum presses a quick kiss to his lips and apologizes for being late when he comes close but Jinki just sends him a smile.

“Where are we going?” Kibum asks curiously as Jinki grabs his hand and intertwines their fingers. They’re walking down the street towards the park but Jinki doesn’t tell him anything. It has Kibum pouting. He doesn’t like being left in the dark and he doesn’t really like surprises like this but Jinki knows him too well but Kibum isn't that annoyed with him. Maybe slightly annoyed but not anything to tell Jinki. Jinki will know eventually. They hit the park and Jinki continues with a hum, still not answering Kibum’s questions that become more persistent as they walk deeper into the park. Suddenly Jinki pulls him from the path and onto the grass.

It takes a minute before Kibum recognizes the lake in front of them before he turns to Jinki. Jinki just smiles at him and presses a kiss to his lips.

“Why?” Kibum asks in a whisper and Jinki pulls him closer so he can wrap his arms around him. Kibum feels himself melt in Jinki’s embrace and presses closer even though it’s practically impossible. He can feel Jinki’s breath tickling his ear and it sends a shiver down his spine but he enjoys the warmth. When Jinki lets go slightly so he can look Kibum in the eyes Kibum feels his heart speed up.

“Nothing wrong with going on a date, is there?” Kibum shakes his head and leans closer so he can press their lips together in a sweet kiss. It’s sentimental and stupid but it’s been a long time since they’ve been at the lake.

“When was the last time we were here?” Kibum asks when he pulls away from Jinki’s lips. Jinki sends him a smirk.

“3 years ago,” Jinki answers. “When you proposed.” There’s a light feeling in Kibum’s chest when Jinki says the words and he remembers.

“So why are we here now?” There’s a comfortable silence around them, only broken by ducks in the lake quacking at times.

“I’m ready,” Jinki whispers against his lips before they kiss again and Kibum can’t help but feel strangely divided. This is the best news he’s been giving in a long time but at the same time he can’t figure out how it’s going to work. He forgets his thoughts as Jinki presses closer and gently asks for permission to into Kibum’s mouth. They stand in front of the lake on an early March day, reminiscing the love they have held for each other for 10 years and looking forward to the love they’ll share in the many years to come. When Jinki lets go Kibum follows his lips for a second before he regains control. Jinki chuckles and sits down on the ground and pulls Kibum with him.

Kibum sits in his lap, peppering kisses all over Jinki’s face and tracing features he hasn’t been able to give the attention they truly deserve for a long time. Sometimes he regrets the way his attention is now divided between more people but he can’t help his heart and he does his best to be with everybody his heart desires. Then he promises himself to forget thoughts of everybody else and focus solely on Jinki.

“What made you change your mind?” he asks gently after he has pressed a kiss to Jinki’s jawline. Jinki shrugs a little.

“I don’t know. I think I just realized how much I love you.” Kibum punches his shoulder lightly but pecks his lips anyway.

“Sap,” he tells the older man and Jinki sends him a blinding smile. They stay at the lake until the sun dips in the horizon and the evening gets colder and the dew starts falling. Kibum gets up first and then helps Jinki up with a hand. Their fingers are laced together and Jinki rests his head on Kibum’s shoulder as they walk back towards the path. When they see other park-goes Jinki removes his head and Kibum wants him to put it back. He doesn’t do anything, however, because he knows the position is a little awkward when walking. Jinki’s ring is cold against the skin of Kibum’s hand but he feels incredibly happiness at the knowledge. When they enter the main street and find a subway back home Kibum can’t help but squeeze Jinki’s hand in reassurance.

They find Minho and Yoojin in the living room, anime playing on the TV. Yoojin is barely keeping her eyes open but she tries hard to focus on the anime so she doesn’t miss anything important. Minho is absentmindedly rubbing her back and gently coaxing her to sleep. Minho sends them a smile and a raised eyebrow at the obvious happiness they’re both projecting and Kibum just shakes his head. He’ll tell Minho tomorrow. They’ll tell Minho tomorrow.

 

Minho raises an eyebrow in a skeptic fashion when Kibum greets him with a ‘we’re getting married’ the next morning. Kibum feels the need to clarify that ‘we’ are him and Jinki and Minho rolls his eyes and takes a gulp of his coffee. Kibum gets a cup of coffee for himself.

“You’re okay with it, right?” he asks and Minho shrugs. The gesture has Kibum slightly nervous. “Right?”

“Can I be against it? You guys were engaged when we met,” Minho says and Kibum sits down on the chair beside him and grabs his hand so he can lace their fingers together.

“Nothing will change between us, I promise. You’ll be my boyfriend and Jinki will be my husband and it’ll be like it is now. It’ll just be a change in titles, real

Please log in to read the full chapter