Chapter 1

Back to Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She stood outside the window of the old shop that sells music box. She used to beg her mother to drop by that shop when she was young only to listen to the soft chimes the different kinds of music box make. The original owner who was so fond of her has passed on and now, it’s his son who runs the shop. She gently pressed her palms on the glass to take a closer look at the items inside. Vintage and classic. Nothing but the best. It’s one of the remaining shop that still operates after almost 40 years. How long has it been since she left town? Around 13 years or so? She left for Seoul to study and barely returns to celebrate holidays with her family, life got in the way as they say. Now a full time pediatric doctor, she smiled as she saw her reflection on the mirror. It’s good to be back.

She tightened her hold on her jacket as she rounded up the corner of their street when she bumped into someone.

“I’m sorry” she automatically bowed

“It’s okay, I wasn’t looking either” the girl replied “Seo Joohyun?”

Her brows knitted for a second and even before she can respond the girl spoke again

“Im Yoona remember? We were classmates in middle school, my mom was your homeroom adviser 8th grade?”

“Yoona!!!” She squealed excitedly “How have you been?!”

“I’m good! Better actually are you here for our reunion?”

“oh” she answered caught by surprise “No, I didn’t know there will be a reunion, I just got here yesterday it’s my first long vacation ever since I began my practice

 “I know! You are ow a doctor! I’m so happy for you”

“eomma has been nagging me come home, I haven’t been in touch with anyone since I left, and as you know I never really come home to spend holidays. Anyhow, what about you what do you do now?”

“Oh nothing special, you know we really don’t have anything going on in this part of town, I’m just a housewife who looks after 2 kids”

Joohyun frowned “What are you saying! Housewives are the foundation of great people! We all would be nothing if not for our eommas who made their families a priority, how do you suppose kids get their energy on a daily basis if not for the breakfast their eommas make?”

Yoona smiled shyly “Your still good with words Seo Joohyun! Best orator in school!”

“I just got goosebumps! I remembered my debate days!” they laughed in unison

“I won’t be taking too much of your time but I would really like it if you can drop by our house before you leave town, you know dinner with some of our old friends, Yuri and Sooyoung still lives here, Yuri is a teacher while Sooyoung is also a stay at home mom”

She beamed recollecting memories of their old friends “I would love to” she fished for her phone inside her bag “here is my number so we can talk about that dinner” They hugged one last time and went their separate ways. The best thing about coming home is the nostalgic feeling you get when you see a certain place or certain people. She was glad to bump into Yoona, she used to live near their school but she heard from her mother that eversince she married her and her family now lives at the corner of their street. She was glad she married her long time crush, they have been dating since highschool, her only regret was not keeping in touch, they were really close, she actually consider Yoona as her bestfriend. Looking back now, she really has no bestfriends that she can call except for her, Yuri and Sooyoung. She has many close friends in Seoul but they all are as busy as she is and getting together for tea is already a luxury.

She walked slowly as she looked at the big house standing 3 houses from theirs, she remembered being invited to the birthday of the owners child. She also remembered going there to finish group projects. It was also in that house that she had her first kiss… from the first boy she ever loved… they say that you really can’t say it’s your first love if it’s not your first heartbreak.

Well…. He was…

She shook her head as she remembered that day that they broke up, she thought that crying inside the showers were just movie clichés same as some monster living in your basement but no… that night was the longest shower she took because she can’t accept the fact that the boy that she loves will be moving to a different country. She was young, and stupidly inlove but the boy said they should break up to prevent disappointing each other. He offered his hands before she left saying they should just be friends.

She took it.

But no she doesn’t want to be friends.

They were together for almost 2 years. They broke up summer after their high school graduation. He was one of the reasons why she left and never really look back. Aside from the person himself… it’s the memories that will kill you. And it almost killed her.

 

 

“Aigoo!!! Yeong Al! your Joohyun is very beautiful!” the ajumma in the market exclaimed as they passed by to buy some anchovies.

“But of course she took after me! My Joohyun is now also a doctor in Seoul General Hospital”

The ajumma came closer and pinched her cheeks “Such successful lady, is your husband with you?”

Her mother stopped smiling, in a small town such as theirs, ladies are expected to be wed before they are 30. If not people are bound to think your inadequate and there is something wrong with you. As incomprehensible as it may seem, old maids are somehow considered as a disgrace.

She’s 33

Single

Alone

Love life be Damned

She saw how her moms jaw tensed but after a few seconds tried to composed herself “Our Joohyun is still not thinking about marriage, you know how Seoul people are! They are career driven, the amount of money they have in their banks are their status”

The ajumma smiled “yes that is true, my niece works for a production company in the city and that’s what she said to her mother, kids in the city are really different but good thing you visited! This town needs some fresh face!”

Joohyun showed the ajumma her sweetest smile

“Aigoo I wish I had a son to introduce to you but I only have 4 daughters!”

They had the same conversation with everyone who knew her mother.

That is technically everyone.

The daughter of the Seo’s is back.

She had to remind everyone over and over again that she’s just there for a vacation and nothing more.

 

 

“Have you heard from Jung Yonghwa?” Yuri asked as she walked slowly towards the kitchen. She is about to give birth to her second child that month.

Sooyoung froze from where she was standing bowl of chips in hand while Yoona stop midway of chewing

J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter