~IV~

Family Isn't Always Just Blood

 

She was right.

It was cold.

Mother bloody cold.

The moment he stepped out the portal he was hit by blizzard winds, obstructing his view. But it was not like there was anything to look at. All he could see was white upon white.

A winter wonderland, but not as pleasant as he had hoped.

“God. I always hate coming here,” he heard Jay mutter. “Come on. The longer we’re out here, the longer I fear we’ll die. We don’t have long to walk long fortunately. His stupid base is right there.”

Seungcheol’s eyes followed her pointed finger. It was a metallic looking building with icicles and snow on it. It looked like something out of movie. It reminded him of a villain's secret base.

But she was right when she said they didn’t have to trek far. The portal was within a few meters of the base.

They walked for a few minutes, but it was the hardest walk he had ever made. He was grateful the moment the doors opened and the warmth of the building enveloped him.

“Mother of God,” Jay muttered, shaking the excess snow of her jacket. She was already shedding her outer layers which the snow on them were now melting from the heat.

Seungcheol was following suit and just when he was taking off his scarf, he heard a scream, or at least that was what he thought it was.

He paused mid-strip to look at the person who uttered the unrecognizable noise.

It was young man wearing a white coat, something he always imagined a research scientist would wear.

He stalked up to Jay and started to point at the puddle of water they were creating with his clipboard.

“Are you crazy?” he shouted. “The floor! The beautiful linoleum floor that we specifically got custom made from the marbler in Luze. How could you ruin it?”

Jay didn’t seem bothered by his yelling. “Hey there, BamBam. Nice to see you after all this time.” She reached over and punched him in the shoulder as a greeting.

He screamed again. “Don’t touch me with those filthy hands! You don’t know where that’s been!”

Seungcheol was getting a little irritated at the boy’s attitude. He almost took action until Jay acted first.

She grinned wildly, a bit crazily. BamBam took a step back.

“Oh? What’s that I hear? You want a hug? But I’m all wet from the snow. What’s that? You don’t mind? Aw, BamBam, I didn’t know you missed me that much!”

She raised her arms in an outstretched position like she was going to give him a hug. BamBam screamed bloody murder, saying incoherent words.

That is until he was hit on the head by another clipboard. “Shut up,” another voice said. “You’re making a ruckus.”

Jay smiled at the newcomer. “Ah, hello there, Mark.”

Mark smiled back at Jay. From what Seungcheol could see, he was also wearing a white lab coat. He wondered if everyone here wore lab coats.

“It’s good to see you, Leader Jay. I should have known it was you. It’s never quiet when you’re visiting.”

“Or uninteresting, eh?” she said with a wink and a laugh.

Mark blinked at her in mild surprise before chuckling. “Yes, I do suppose you’re right.”

They gave each other a brief hug.

Mark looked at their wet clothes that both Jay and Seungcheol were holding. He walked over to a door and opened it. “You can put your clothes in here. They’ll dry in here.”

“Thanks, Mark,” Jay said with a grin, hanging her clothes up, following up with Seungcheol’s.

“What about the floor, Mark?” BamBam whimpered from the side. He was holding his head, giving them all a pitiful look.

Mark looked at BamBam with bland amusement. “They were specially made to hold against water. They are permeating tiles. They will drain in five minutes. You know that.”

BamBam pouted, “But they’ll get dirty.”

Mark looked at him with a sigh. “Aren’t you supposed to be monitoring Exhibit X3?”

BamBam looked at him with shock. “Oh my god. I forgot.”

And without another word, he took off.

Mark scoffed at his colleague’s ridiculousness. He turned to his guests. “Well, now that the source of noise is gone, I can focus more clearly.” He looked over to Seungcheol with curious eyes. “I don’t believe I had the pleasure of meeting you.”

Jay grinned, grabbing Seungcheol and bringing him into a sort of side arm hug. “Ah, Mark. Meet the first recruit on my team! Choi Seungcheol.”

“The pleasure is all mine. My name is Mark Tuan.” He paused and looked at Jay in surprise. “Wait, you’re starting up a team?”

She smiled, releasing Seungcheol, and scratched her head awkwardly. “I was kind of forced to, but I decided it was better to do it anyways.”

He blinked at her and smiled excitedly. “That would mean we would get to fight against your team when you finish recruiting?”

“Mmm. I do plan on it. Your team is one of Jo Kwon’s best in combat.”

He grabbed her hands. “Promise me that you’ll make it happen. Research is great and all, but I miss the fighting sometimes. And I know that some of the other guys do too.”

“Of course. But you might have to wait. I don’t plan on haphazardly picking up recruits. Why don’t you practice against the other factions? Boa’s is always good to fight against.”

Mark sighed, pulling his hands back. “Leader Boa’s people are good, but they’re a bit predictable. It’s gets a little boring fighting them all the time. They do surprise me once in a while, however. But they unfortunately are busy as well.”

“Hmm,” Jay murmured. “Pity.”

“It is,” Mark agreed.

Jay raised an eyebrow. “But Jo Kwon should have increased his patrolling. Aren’t you guys out more often?”

Mark scoffed, “Like there’s anything in these wastelands. I’ll be surprised to see a nibra out there. There are more of them inside than out.”

He shook his head. “But enough of that, I’m assuming you’re here to see Leader Jo Kwon.”

“Yes, of course. The only reason why I would travel to this coldass place.”

Mark looked at Seungcheol. “And your recruit?”

“Ah, he’s coming with me.”

Mark looked surprised for a split second but regained his form. “I understand. Then please follow me. Be sure not to lose track of me. Leader Jo Kwon restructured the building. Again.

“Again?” Seungcheol repeated with slight curiosity.

He sighed. “Leader Jo Kwon likes challenging us. He forces us to memorize the building plan for a minute and leaves the rest up to us. He does this occasionally. It’s supposed to be training for the brain. I don’t mind, but it can get frustrating at times. Especially when you need to be at a certain place at a certain time, and you’ve forgotten that it has changed.”

“You can just do that? Change up an entire building’s interior like nothing?”

“Ah, well, we can,” Jay explained. “Me and the other three leaders. You see, the base uses part of our essence. In a sense, you can think it as a part of us. We can liberally change it to our heart’s desire.”

“Huh,” Seungcheol murmured. “That’s kind of cool.”

They continued walking through the corridors. It was very cold to Seungcheol. Not in the sense of temperature, but more of the perception of the place. The atmosphere almost seemed stifling to him. They were metallic with a cold silver sheen to it. He could hear their footsteps as they walked. Mark’s was orderly and precise, like clockwork. Jay’s was extremely silent. If she wasn’t walking in front of him, he probably wouldn’t have noticed it. His was stiff and loud, and it reminded him of his own heartbeat.

“We’re here.”

They stopped in front of some glazed glass doors.

Mark reached into coat pocket and pulled out a badge. He pressed it against the card reader, and the doors slid open.

“Hello? Sir, are you in here?” he called out.

If Seungcheol imagined a high-tech lab, he thought it would look like this. Glass tubes lined the counters. Beakers of unidentifiable liquids bubbled and steamed. Muffled noises could be heard.

“Ah, Mark. What is wrong? Discovered something interesting?”

Seungcheol looked up at the voice. A man wearing a black lab coat stared down at the group. He was holding what seemed like a black mass, and Seungcheol really didn’t want to know what it was.

“No, sir. Actually, you have some visitors.”

He laughed loudly. “Oh? And would come visit little ‘ol me?”

“Literally the only one who actually visits you,” Jay responded with an eye roll.

Jo Kwon’s line of vision changed from Mark to Jay. He set down whatever he was holding and leaned on the railing. “Well, well. Jay, how nice of you to visit. You must have something interesting to show me. That is the only reason why would visit me.”

“I’m offended, Jo Kwon. I thought we were friends. I can’t visit you just for the hell of it?”

He laughed even louder. “You jest. You? In this cold and solemn place? If that was true, I just as well might be the most sociable person here.”

Jay snorted. “Sarcasm doesn’t suit you well. But I guess you’re right. I only came here because you insisted. I would have liked it if you would visit me once in a while. It’s hard traveling here, you know?”

He chuckled evilly. “Ah, but that would require me leaving my research, and we both know that won’t happen.” He paused for a split second, his eyes now traveling over to Seungcheol.

Seungcheol felt his spine shiver. He didn’t like how he looked at him. Like he was some kind of object.

Jo Kwon didn’t waste any time. He jumped down from the second floor and landed with a thud.

“This is him then? The one you picked up?” He walked over to Seungcheol, circling him with interested eyes. “Handsome one, isn’t he? And strong. He has some muscles.”

He stopped in front of him and leaned forward that Seungcheol instinctively leaned back as well. He realized that Jo Kwon had eyes that gleamed excitedly. They looked like they were only interested in the things that piqued his curiosity.

And then he wasn’t there anymore. Jay had pulled the collar on the back of his coat.

“Calm down, he’s ain’t going anywhere. Plus, you’re scaring him.”

Jo Kwon glared at Jay. “Let go of me.”

She rolled her eyes and let him go. He straightened his coat and cleared his throat. “Yes, I do admit I might have gotten a bit excited. But you have to understand, this is the most interesting thing that you’ve shown me in a while.” He looked at Seungcheol. “I can keep him, right?”

Seungcheol was not expecting that.

“What?” he said.

“He’s part of my team, Jo Kwon. You can’t have him,” she laughed. Then suddenly her voice became extremely dark and serious. “And he’s not some specimen. He’s a human being who has his own will. Are we clear?”

Jo Kwon tsked, but Seungcheol could see that he was a little ruffled at Jay’s words. And he didn’t blame him, he felt it too. Like the air itself was being suffocated.

“Alright, I understand. I don’t want to get on your bad side. But you’ll let me examine him, right?”

She shrugged. “Only if Seungcheol agrees.”

Seungcheol looked at her in surprise, but looked at Jo Kwon after.

“What exactly do you want with me?” he asked him.

“Just the basics. A physical exam for one. And a blood sample,” he responded.

Seungcheol looked at Jay before nodding. “Alright. I can at least do that much.”

“Excellent! Mark, quickly, get me my equipment. I do believe Sana and Jihyo are in the back. Get them to assist us.”

Mark nodded and quickly walked off.

Jay then settled into a nearby chair and propped her feet on the table. “Then I’ll be here waiting for you.”

Jo Kwon clicked his tongue and smacked her feet. “Off! No feet on the table. Do you know how unsanitary that is?”

“You are no fun. God, keep this up and you’ll become the second Boa.”

Jo Kwon glared at her. “There is no way I could ever be like that stone wall.”

Jay laughed. She then looked at Seungcheol with eyes he couldn't identify.

“Treat him kindly, yeah? And remember, he’s not a subject for you to test on. He’s a human…”

“Being. Yes, I heard you the first time. I’m not stupid. In fact, I’m the least stupid of us all.”

She grinned. “As long as you know. And remember, I’ll know if you do something to him.”

“You really are insufferable. I don’t know how I dealt with you all these years.”

“You love me.”

“I really doubt that.” He turned to Seungcheol. “Come on, boy. Let’s get your measurements.” He led him away to another room. Something very similar to a doctor’s office.

As he was taking his weight and height, Seungcheol asked him, “Am I really that fascinating?”

Jo Kwon paused to look at him before continuing with his work.

“The most interesting.”

“Why?”

The man frowned. “Did Jay not tell you anything?”

Seungcheol shook his head. “No, she did. But I don’t think I understand. It’s that big of a deal? That I had the markings of a nibra.”

“My boy!” Jo Kwon cried out. “It is unheard of! The fact that both Boa and Jay both saw that you had the markings and yet you’re here in front of me markless as the next is unheard of.”

He stopped writing on his clipboard.

“You’re lucky.”

“Excuse me?”

“You’re lucky,” the man repeated. Seungcheol wasn’t sure, but Jo Kwon didn’t look like Jo Kwon previously anymore. He looked more normal, like a regular person.

“If Jay wasn’t there, if Jay didn’t decide to go with Boa on patrol, you wouldn’t be here right now. If it was just Boa who found you, you would be dead the moment she set eyes on you.” His voice was low, almost to a quiet murmur, as if these words were only for the two of them.

Seungcheol felt his blood run cold. He didn’t realize it, but the man was right.

“There hasn’t been a case where markings disappeared. Never. And I’ve tried. If we left them alone long enough, they always turned into nibras. Without fail. And trust me when I say that I’ve tried everything. Nothing worked. And yet, Jay just waltzed up and stopped your markings. Granted, I heard you were on the very early stages, but still.”

He sighed. “Boa is all rules. Because there have been no cases of stopping the markings, she will kill anyone who has the markings. Even if it’s still early on. She doesn’t believe that the transition stage means anything. But Jay is different. She hesitates on nibras that are on the transition stage. That is why she only takes missions with fully transformed nibras. I think she still thinks they’re somewhat human during the transition.”

“She told me. That she doesn’t like killing nibras in their transition stage.” He paused. “And you? What about you? What do you think?”

Jo Kwon looked at him in surprise. “Me?” He looked away. “I probably do too. Researching so hard to find a way to stop people from becoming nibras and only getting so far. It’s saddening, but you lose a little hope once in awhile. Honestly, there are times where I think that it would be easier to kill them. But then you have someone like Jay who stands with her beliefs wholeheartedly. She doesn’t condemn you if you think differently, but she still believes in... hope. Perhaps that is why I still research like this. Because she makes me think I don’t need to repeat the past.”

“You were affected by the nibras too?”

Jo Kwon smiled wistfully. “My boy, we are all affected by the nibras somehow. But to what extent is what differs.”

“Sir, I setup everything in the next room.”

Mark opened the door without any warning.

Jo Kwon’s eyes glimmered and Seungcheol did not see a glimpse of the man he had spoken before. He was now grinning like a madman.

“Well, shall we go?”

 

It really was just the basics. They had checked his measurements, checked his reflexes, and took his blood pressure, some x-rays, and a blood sample. It was very formal and technical. It was very similar to a visit to the doctor’s office for a physical. And it didn’t take as long as Seungcheol expected.

“Welcome back,” Jay greeted, putting down the newspaper she was reading. She looked at Seungcheol once before nodding. “I’m glad you didn’t do anything too extreme.”

Jo Kwon scoffed, “Who do you think I am?”

Jay merely raised an eyebrow at the comment.

“Well, it does not matter. I actually have a request for you.”

“Oh? And what does the illustrious Jo Kwon want from me?”

“The Head said for you to help us while you look for a team, correct?”

She nodded in response.

“Take out some of the guys for a patrol.”

She looked at him in surprise. “A patrol? You hardly do any of those. Especially here.”

“I know myself pretty well, thank you very much. But it remains true that some of my team spotted unusual activity lately. Things have been going missing. Small things, but things nonetheless. I would like you to investigate.”

“And you can’t do it yourself? Or let some of your more experienced members do it by themselves?” she teased.

“I have more important things to do than go out and fight things. More concerning your boy’s blood. And plus, if I can use you, you can be sure I’m going to use you.”

She rolled her eyes. “Fine, but I’ll pick the guys. I know some of them are itching to go out.”

“Alright, fine. Now go, I fear that the more I spend time with you, the more stupid I’ll become.”

She snorted in response. “And I’m afraid the longer I’m with you, I’ll become more deranged.”

“Better crazy than stupid.”

“I wonder,” she murmured as she left the room, Seungcheol following close behind.

He glanced back at the man who he swore had a very small smile on his lips.