~XVII~

Family Isn't Always Just Blood

The doorbell rang, but none of them recognized the sound. Because for one, they never ever heard it being used.

“What was that?” Soonyoung asked, eyes wide with shock.

“I think it was the doorbell,” Seungcheol murmured, eyes towards the door.

“We had one of those?” Jisoo added, standing up and walking towards the door.

Everyone wondered who would find the manor placed in the middle of the woods. Jay had told them that the building was so strategically placed that no one would find it unless that was their goal to find it.

Jisoo was about to open the door when he was suddenly tackled.

“What the?” Jisoo yelped out, seeing the flash of black at the corner of his eye. “Soonyoung, what the heck are you doing?” he struggled to ask, as the boy was now sitting on him, trying to cover his mouth.

“What if it’s a murderer?” Soonyoung hissed softly, eyes whipping from the door to the fallen boy. “And to think you were about to open the door to our deaths.”

“Why would there be a murderer in the middle of the woods?” Jisoo asked, flabbergasted.

“Have you not watched the movies? It’s always in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.”

Jisoo groaned. “You got to be kidding me. First of all, it’s daylight, if you haven’t noticed. And second, if you don’t remember, we’re trained in basic self-defense.”

Soonyoung seemed to take his words into account. “I guess you’re right,” he mused. “But I don’t- Wait! Seungcheol, what are you doing?”

The doorbell kept ringing and Seungcheol had enough of the annoying noise. Taking matters into his own hands, he opened the door.

There in front of him was a boy with shaggy black hair that covered part of his eyes. His eyes were dark and had dark bags under them. Not only that, he was wearing monochrome colors, heavy on the black and gray.

At his feet were two duffel bags, and he was wearing a backpack. In his hands was a tightly crumpled piece of paper.

“Um, hello.”

Seungcheol looked from the stranger’s hands to his face. The stranger’s voice was rather deep and fitting for his look.

“See?” someone hissed.

Both Seungcheol and the stranger looked down next to Seungcheol’s feet. Both Jisoo and Soonyoung were crouching next to the doorframe to peer at the stranger. Soonyoung was on top of Jisoo, arms over the older boy’s shoulders like he was getting a piggyback ride.

“I don’t see what you’re seeing,” Jisoo whispered back.

“He freaking looks like a serial killer,” Soonyoung whispered back in a not-so-hushed whisper.

“Just because he looks like a serial killer, doesn’t mean he is one,” Jisoo argued back. “Don’t you know?" he added. "The ones that look the most perfect are the scary ones.”

“Um, I’m sorry, but are you talking about me?”

The two stopped whispering even though they could be heard clear as day.

“Abort mission! I said, abort!” Soonyoung cried out, dragging Jisoo along with him.

“Wait, Soonyoung. You’re -gah- choking me!”

The stranger looked from the two boys back to Seungcheol. “I’m not a serial killer, if you’re thinking that too.”

Seungcheol raised an eyebrow ever so slightly. “Why would I think you’re a serial killer?”

The other boy blinked. “Oh, well, I assumed. Never mind.” He sighed. “Let’s try this again. Hello, I was wondering if someone who goes by the name, um,” he briefly looked at his piece of paper before continuing, “Jay lived here.”

 

 

He was invited in with open arms, or rather an open door.

The boy who opened the door stared at him for a long second before pushing the door wider and simply walked away.

The newcomer thought it was gesture of an invitation into the house. He sure hoped so. He really didn’t want another encounter with the police.

“What the hell, Seungcheol? How could let him in? A serial murderer?” the boy who was making a fuss earlier hissed.

“I’m not a serial murderer,” he tried to say, but no one seemed to be listening.

“Don’t worry about it. No one thinks that. Soonyoung seems to have a very imaginative mind. You kind of get used to it. And let me help you with that.”

He looked to his right to see the other boy he saw earlier. He looked soothing and calming that he immediately gave the nice-looking boy a tentative smile.

The boy smiled back, taking one of the duffel bags and headed back inside. The other male followed him in.

The solemn looking boy seemed to ignore the hyperactive one, shaking his arm off roughly. “Jay!” he shouted up the stairs. “Someone’s here to see you!”

A yell was heard from up the stairs. “Who is it?”

There was moment of silence as the boy blinked.

“What?” he heard the voice from upstairs shout. “Did you let some stranger in? You didn’t even ask for their name?”

The solemn looking one which he now knew was named Seungcheol looked at him. “What’s your name?”

He was surprised at how nonchalant he was and stuttered back, “Wonwoo.”

“He said his name was Wonwoo!”

There was another brief moment of silence, before some crashes being heard.

“What the hell, woman!” another voice yelled from the stairs.

But no sooner than Wonwoo was thinking he got the wrong house, he saw someone jump and peer down the stairs.

“Oh my god. It is you.”

Wonwoo saw the girl and a smile immediately lit on his face. The relief overwhelmed him. He wasn’t sure if this would lead to her, but he was thankful that it did. She looked exactly the same which brought him even more nostalgia.

“Hi,” he said with a wide smile.

“Jeon Wonwoo,” she cried out in shock. Her range of emotions fluctuated greatly, starting from happiness to confusion to mild perturbation. “Wha-what are you doing here? How did you even find this place?”

He looked at her awkwardly, holding up the letter still clenched in his hand. “When we last parted, your companion gave me this. He told me that I would be able to open it when I needed it. And it led me to you.”

She blinked at him rapidly, trying to process the information he had given her. “He gave that you?”

He nodded back.

She gazed at him for a few more seconds before shaking her as if she was trying to get rid of her negative thoughts. She looked back down at him and smiled gratefully. She slowly stepped down the stairs before foregoing all patience and flying down the stairs and giving him a bear hug. “God, you grew taller,” she muttered unhappily, grabbing his cheeks and inspecting him. “At least you look healthy. Ish.”

He chuckled. “I’ve been better. Trust me.”

She pulled away and frowned. “Wait, if what you told me is true, that means you needed me?” A face full of concern was etched on her face. “Did something happen?”

Wonwoo smiled awkwardly. “Well,” he murmured, “Let’s just say my habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time really kicked in.”

She grabbed his hand and sighed. “We got to talk.”

“Hold up.”

They looked over to the male Wonwoo now assumed was Soonyoung. He was squatting on the stool nearby.

“What’s the matter, Soonyoung?” Jay asked.

“Are we going to ignore the fact that he looks like a serial killer?”

Jay glanced at him and to his hair. “Hmm. Yes, I get where you’re coming from. That hair’s making you look scarier than Seungcheol.”

Seungcheol scoffed softly.

“But I vouch for him, he’s not serial killer. He’s the complete opposite.”

Soonyoung looked unconvinced. “Well, if you say so. But if we get murdered in our sleep, don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

“But you would be dead too,” Seungcheol pointed out.

“Technicalities, my dear Seungcheol,” Soonyoung said, waving his hand absently at him.

“God, another one?”

This time, the voice came from up the stairs.

Wonwoo saw a small male with bright blonde hair that fluffed gently when he moved. But his expression did not match his appearance, for on his face was a scowl.

“Nobody said anything, Jihoon,” Jay said, tilting her head.

The small boy rolled his eyes. “I doubt it. This rag-tag group is getting worse and worse by the second. A mute, a pushover, an idiot, and a serial killer. God knows who we’ll attract next.”

“And what are you, Jihoon?” Soonyoung asked with a grin.

“Not involved,” he retorted back, retreating back upstairs.

“Do you live with all of them?” Wonwoo whispered to Jay.

Jay looked over and grinned. “Yeah, sorry about that. I’ll introduce to them later. But first, let’s talk about you. It’s been a while.” She paused and ruffled his hair. “I missed you.”

Wonwoo groaned, pulling away, but had a wide grin on his face. “I missed you too.”

 

She pulled him into a room upstairs and closed the door behind them.

She smiled briefly before asking, "So, what brings you here? Not for a visit, I presume?"

Wonwoo looked down and bit the bottom of lip in nervousness.

"I need a place to stay for a while."

She looked away and then back at him with curious eyes. "What did you do?"

He shook his head. “Like I said, I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. You know how it is." He looked away absently as if he was trying to forget the memory. “I may have gotten into a fight and some people got hurt.”

Her eyes widened in shock. “You?” she let out in disbelief.

He continued. “Luckily, there were witnesses there who proved that it wasn’t my fault. But the people who got hurt are rather important people. No charges were going to be pressed, but as you can see, it would be better if I wasn’t around.”

“But it wasn’t your fault?”

He looked back at her wistfully. “You know I don’t like getting into fights.”

She smiled at him softly. “I know,” she murmured quietly. But then she frowned slightly. “But… if this happened any time before, I would have gladly let you stay with me, however…”

She trailed off, an apologetic look on her face.

"Is it because of those guys?"

She looked back at him in surprise. "No, not at all." She frowned slightly. "It's a little related, but not like that. It's what I do."

"What is it that you do?"

She laughed as if there was a joke he didn’t get. "Something I know you wouldn't like."

Wonwoo sighed. Even though he hadn't seen this girl in years, she was still the same. But he didn't like how she was hiding something from him.

Which reminded him.

"Jay."

She looked at him. "Hmm?" she hummed in response.

"No, why do you call yourself Jay? The letter even said to call you that no matter what."

She looked surprised as if she had forgotten that one little detail, eyes quivering.

Wonwoo paused a little. "Ja-"

He was about to say her name when she covered his mouth with the palm of her hand.

She forced him against the wall, causing him to bump against it.

She stared at him, eyes fierce yet slightly sad and desperate. "Please, Wonwoo," she whispered softly. "Don't ever, ever call me by that name."

Wonwoo stared back at her when he realized how much shorter she was compared to him. How slender and fragile she seemed at the moment. That he could probably wrap his arm around her whole waist without a problem.

His memories of her were full of her taking care of him, but now he was surprised.

They locked eyes for a minute and he nodded slowly to let her know that he understood.

She slowly removed her hand and let out a shaky sigh. Her forehead was barely hovering against his chest as she stared absently in front of her.

"I'm sorry, Wonwoo. I didn't mean to scare you like that. I just... There's a reason why I'm doing this. Just, from now on, please call me Jay."

"Of course," he reassured her.

"And don't tell anyone either. Please."

He nodded. "I promise. I would never do anything to hurt you."

She smiled. "Thanks, Wonwoo." She took a step back and he let out the air he didn't know he was holding.

She let out a snort. "It's funny. It used to be me that comforted you, but it's the other way around." She winked. "Isn't that right, Princess?"

Wonwoo flushed red. "I told you to stop calling me that!" he shouted in embarrassment.

She giggled. "It fits, no? I used to call you that because you hated getting into fights and even into conflicts."

He pouted, reaching out to her. "No, it doesn't fit. And so what if I don’t like getting to arguments?"

She dodged his hand and laughed. "I’m not saying it’s bad!” She quieted down. “I still remember things, Wonwoo. I didn't forget you," she murmured sincerely.

Wonwoo stopped and blinked at her, a small smile flitted through his lips before disappearing.

"And as for you guys," she added.

She yanked open the door, revealing four heads behind it.

Soonyoung tumbled from the lack of support, falling flat on his face.

"Ow," he mumbled through the floor.

Jisoo had managed to catch himself by grabbing the frame of the door and wall. He gave Jay an awkward smile, trying to avoid eye contact.

Seungcheol and Jihoon were standing behind them.

Seungcheol was leaning against the wall, his back against the wall, his feet outstretched in front of him and hands stuffed in his pockets. He looked away, refusing to look at the scene.

Jihoon was standing a bit away from Seungcheol, but a smirk was etched on his face.

"Told you so," he sang out.

"Oh, shut up," Soonyoung muttered, picking himself up. "Don't pretend like you weren't trying to listen in either. I saw you. And don't try and tell me otherwise. I see through that little facade of yours."

Jihoon scowled. "I did not. Stop telling lies."

Jisoo looked at the two arguing and laughed nervously. He looked at Jay who was amusedly watching them.

"Are you angry?"

"On the contrary, I find this quite hilarious and cliché. Next time, just don't let me catch you."

Jisoo let a sigh of relief.

"That's good. Right, Seungcheol?"

The boy glanced at them and mumbled, "No comment."

Jisoo grinned. “Don’t be like that. You know Soonyoung and I found you and Jihoon trying to listen in.”

Seungcheol glared at the other boy, willing him to shut up.

"Anyways," Jay spoke up, obviously trying to not let her grin show. They turned to look at her. "I'm hungry. Let's go make some lunch."

She helped Soonyoung up and pushed Jisoo out the door. "Oh, and set up one more plate."

"Why?" Soonyoung asked.

She smiled and glanced at Wonwoo. "Because we have another one staying with us."

Wonwoo blinked. “You’re letting me stay?” he asked.

She laughed. “For some reason, I can never say no to you. You can stay as long as you need to. Just…there’s some things that you shouldn't be curious about.”

Jisoo looked at Wonwoo. "Your friend?" he asked.

She nodded.

Seungcheol narrowed his eyes. "Is he one of us?"

Jay paused and shook her head lightly. "No," she whispered softly.

He looked at Wonwoo. "I see," he simply said. He pushed himself off the wall and walked down the stairs.

Jihoon smirked at Wonwoo. "Must be lucky. Not having to deal with all this." He followed suit and disappeared down the stairs.

Soonyoung pursed his lips slightly. "I wonder if it truly is," he murmured under his breath.

“Stop talking and move,” Jisoo hissed softly. He glanced back at Wonwoo and smiled politely at him before pushing Soonyoung ahead.

Jay watched them leave and turned to look at Wonwoo. "Shall we go?"

He didn't move. "What did they mean?"

She looked at him. "It’s nothing."

She gave him a half-hearted smiled and walked down the stairs.

Wonwoo didn't like it. He never expected that there would be people who seemed to know Jay better than him.

He didn't like that there was part of Jay he didn't seem to know.

He honestly didn't know what to expect when he found Jay.

But he knew he didn't want it to be this.