~XXII~

Family Isn't Always Just Blood

Stepping out of the portal, she gazed at the row of facilities that looked like normal buildings. Long with sparse windows, it reminded Jay faintly of a military encampment. Each building was connected by a glass domed corridor.

And as far as the eye could see was just dirt to the horizon. The area was fenced off with a sign that had the words "Private Property" attached to the chain-linked fence.

She went ahead and approached the first building, opening the door to the inside.

Jay winced as she was greeted with the bright sunlight. She squinted, shading her eye with her hand and peered around.

She coughed once, feeling dry up from the dusty wind.

It must be a desert scenario.

Jay knew that Boa liked to put in different settings and scenarios to train her team. It wasn't uncommon to encounter a snowstorm in one building and a tropical rain forest in another.

She was about to keep walking when she realized that there was body lying in front of her.

She looked down and tilted her head, trying to look at the body closer.

"-ter."

"Sorry?"

"Water," the body said in a hoarse whisper.

She blinked and reached into her bag for a bottled water, dangling in front of the body.

She never seen someone grab something so quickly as the figure, which she now recognized as a boy, drained the bottle in less than a second.

He crushed the bottle and smiled.

"Thank you so much. I thought I was going to die of thirst."

He blinked as he turned to her, eyes widening in recognition.

"Miss Jay!" he exclaimed, jumping up. "I..uh, I am so sorry!"

She laughed. "Don't worry about it. Just don't let Boa know." She looked at the boy closer as he felt like she seen him before.

"Oh," she murmured, eyes lighting up in recognition.

"You're one of the boys on that mission patrol. Mark, was it?"

He saluted, straightening up. "Yes, ma'am! That is my name."

"Stand down, my good sir," she chuckled. "Anyways, do you think you can help me?"

He relaxed, looking at her curiously.

"Of course, what is it that you need?"

"Mark!"

They both turned around at the voice. Jay having a slightly curious expression, while Mark looked terrified.

"Jongdae," they both said at the same time, though Jay's was happier than Mark's.

"What do you think you're doing? You didn't even last five minutes," the newcomer murmured disapprovingly.

He then noticed the girl standing behind the boy.

"Jay?" he exclaimed in surprise.

"It's good to see you," she said with a large grin.

He ran up to her and hugged her, laughing gleefully. "It's been so long! What are you doing here?"

"I came to see Boa. She said there was someone who wanted to see me," she explained, removing herself from the hug and looking at Jongdae more closely.

"You look great." Her eyes went down to the area above his shirt pocket where several pins were. She grinned. "And I see you ranked up."

He smiled. "Yeah, me and the other guys managed to rank up together."

"All of you?" she said in surprise.

He shook his head. "No, only some of us. Three of the guys didn't make it," he said softly.

She nodded, but said, "Still, I'm glad your hard work paid off. I always thought you guys would do well."

He grinned. "Let me lead you to Leader Boa." He turned to Mark. "And you. You need to train more. Start over from the beginning."

Mark looked at him in aghast. "But Jongdae!" he whined.

"No buts."

Mark sighed. "Fine. But don't blame me if I die from thirst and heat exhaustion."

"And that’s why we have medics on site"

Jay chuckled as she watched the younger boy slink off.

Once he was gone, Jongdae turned to her. He tugged on her sleeve and gestured with his head to the side.

"Follow me!"

As she started to walk next to the boy, casually observing him. It had been awhile since she last saw him. She remembered when he and the rest of the boys were new recruits at the time. They were rash and unpredictable. But they were fast learners. It didn't take long for them to rank up. She snapped out of her thoughts when he started to talk.

"So, I hear you're starting up your own team," he drawled out.

"Word spreads fast," she chuckled. A pause. "But then again it's already been a few months."

"When are we going to meet them?" he asked excitedly. "I can't wait to tell them how I'm your favorite."

"Um, who said that?" she retorted with a raise of an eyebrow. "I'm pretty sure I like Minseok more than you."

"What? No. Really?" he exclaimed. He stared at her with puppy eyes.

She laughed. "I'm kidding. You're my favorite." She laughed again. "You're like a little kid. You always have to have it your way."

"If I wasn't already committed to the White Tigers, I would have joined your team."

"Please. As if you would leave your friends. If I took you, I would have to take the rest of you guys. And I do not want Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and you in the same room. Boa is amazing to keep you all in track."

"You love us though."

She sighed. "Unfortunately."

They came upon large double doors with golden tinted handles.

Jongdae knocked once and once again before opening it up. "Then I'll see you around? Come over to play more often, yeah? And come to the main break room before you leave. I'm sure the other guys would love to see you too."

"I'll be sure to swing by." She gave him another quick hug before entering the room.

It was rather large room with white walls and gold and silver embellishments. Very 1920's.

Boa was sitting at a round table, silently sipping from a white teacup. Several pastries lined the table along with a teapot and another a teacup.

Jay sat down in front of her.

"I see that you met with Jongdae."

Jay nodded, helping herself to a cranberry scone.

"Been awhile since I last saw him. He looked like he's doing well. Still the same old guy though."

Boa nodded. "I am glad they are doing well. The older recruits are becoming more independent. I do not need to watch over them constantly. They are capable of doing missions on their own. And that, I am happy with."

"I sure hope so," Jay murmured, swallowing the last of her scone. "You have so many in your faction; I don't know how you keep up."

"It helps that the older ones advise the newer ones. They have the experience and attitude to educate the younger ones."

She was quiet.

"It's good."

"I'm sure it is," Jay replied, pouring herself a cup a tea.

"No, not for me. I'm talking about you."

Jay stopped pouring, glancing at Boa for a second, before continuing.

"And what do you mean by that?"

The other woman remained quiet for a second. "It's good that you're taking up a team. A group of people to help you."

"And I'm not capable of doing it myself?" Jay asked with a slight tease in her voice.

"No, of course not," Boa replied with a slight roll of her eyes. "You're extremely capable. It's just...it's just a shame."

"Shame," Jay repeated causally.

"You're a skillful person who I consider one of the best. Maybe better than me,"

"Boa," Jay tried to argue.

Boa shook her head, not letting her interrupt. "We both know that you're a talented individual who has been in this field longer than any of us. And, well, I think it's a waste for you not to depart your skills to others. Which I am glad that you are actually taking up people." She frowned slightly. “Although I do not agree with what happened with the first one.” She sipped her tea. “He did not turn?”

Jay shook her head. “Thankfully, he did not. I know you were looking out for me, but perhaps this is a sign. That there is hope.”

Boa stonily looked down at her cup. “There are no miracles, Jay. You should know that.”

“Then am I stupid for still believing in them?”

Boa sighed. “You’re not stupid. Far from that. Maybe just optimistic. And perhaps naive.” Her eyes fell to a faraway look. “Perhaps everything is fate. Even the ones you chosen to be on your team.”

"Well, the first one was sort of by accident. And the second one. Actually, all of them in a way." Jay paused and giggled. “Or perhaps you are right, perhaps it is all fate.”

"It doesn't matter. I may not agree on some of your picks, but regardless, what is important is that you do. You believe in yourself. Because it is your team."

Jay laughed. “Look at you, giving me advice. It seemed like yesterday when I was the one giving you advice when you first came with us.”

Boa looked at Jay kindly. "You know how I was the third one the Head picked up? You were there too.” She looked annoyed for a second. “And that other one,” Boa added with a sneer.

Jay nodded with a smile.

"To tell you the truth, I didn't think you were good enough back then. I kept thinking why someone so young was with us. But I was wrong. You were leading a much more complex life than I knew."

She sighed. "Jay, what happened to you? Why haven't you told anybody what happened to you? All I know is that you have no family and that you lost them in a nibra attack, just like the rest of us three. Don't you think it's a little unfair that you know ours but not the other way around?"

Jay had been listening, staring at the ripples in her teacup. She finally looked up at Boa and gave her a sad smile.

"I simply was lucky to be the first one the Head took in. And because of that, I was able to witness your guys’ encounters with the nibras." She paused. "It's...it's not so simple as telling you what happened. And it's not something I wish to... burden you with."

"Why?" Boa exclaimed, suddenly standing up, causing the table to tremble slightly. Jay, unfazed, looked up at her slowly. "Aren't...aren't we friends?"

Jay smiled. "We are, Boa. That we are." She looked away. "And that is the reason why I cannot tell you. At least not right now."

"Then what is it about it that makes it so hard for you to tell us? Me?”

"Our beliefs are different."

"Beliefs?" Boa questioned confusedly. "You mean about nibras?"

Jay nodded. "You think that nibras should be stopped immediately. That they are not considered humans the moment they are corrupted by the miasma."

"Because that is what we agreed on! We all voted..." She stopped. "Except for you." She blinked rapidly. "You were the only one who said that we shouldn't kill the nibras in transition. Until we were absolutely positive that there was nothing we can do."

Boa shook her head. "But that's it. There is nothing we can do. I can't, I won’t let what happen to me happen to someone else."

"I know. That's why I don't say anything. You think there is no other way but to stop them when they are in transition. And I agree that is the probably the best way, but... but I can't do it myself."

"I've seen you do it before," Boa argued.

"Yes. Because there was no other way. But I try and avoid it if I can."

"I know it feels terrible because they still look like themselves. But they won't eventually."

"It's not that. Shooting them feels like I'm shooting myself."

"But that's what I said," Boa stressed confusedly.

Jay smiled. "Regardless, I have to ask you to help me. Make up what I am incapable of doing. I'm sorry, Boa. For being so incompetent in such a manner."

"No, I... don't think like that." She looked down. "I just want to know. But I suppose above all, I want you to be happy."

Jay blinked at her, letting out a small laugh.

"Thank you. But who would have thought. The illustrious Boa would say such words one day."

Boa scowled and like a spell being broken, the atmosphere suddenly turned brighter. “Just don’t tell the others. Especially the one in charge of the Vermillion Birds.”

Jay laughed. "But of course. However, I didn't come here to get all mushy mushy with you. You told me that there was someone who wanted to see me?"

Boa nodded. "Yes, in the waiting room. He has not moved from the same spot."

"Who is it?"

Boa looked at her and rolled her eyes. "You'll see."

 

He considered himself the patient type. He didn't mind waiting, but at this moment, it was excruciating.

He watched the clock tick down second by second. It felt like time was not moving despite him watching the clock.

"Junhui, I'm bored."

The boy glanced to his friend who lying upside down so that his legs were propped up and over the couch and his head was almost touching the ground. He was trying to amuse himself with a magazine that was lying on the coffee table.

"I do not know what I can do to help you," Junhui answered back.

"Say something funny."

"Xu Minghao," Junhui sternly said, implicating he wanted the said boy to quiet down.

The boy grinned. "Yeah, I know I'm funny. Don't need to remind me."

Junhui rolled his eyes and ignored him.

He didn't know why his best friend came with him.

Junhui came to fulfill his dream.

Minghao, on the other hand, simply tagged along.

And even though Junhui had no idea why he came, he wasn't going to tell him to leave.

He would admit he had a soft spot for the bored boy, and he was also someone who he considered important.

However, sometimes Junhui didn't know what was going in the other's head, even though they were close friends.

He did, however, appreciate his friend’s tenacity and company. He never had a lot of friends of growing up, and for some reason, Minghao had stuck with him until the end.

Which is why he silently allowed him to come with him. Although, he was sure his friend would not be interested in joining. He wasn’t even sure if his friend knew what exactly he was planning to do.

“What did you say you wanted to join again?” Minghao asked suddenly.

Junhui sighed. He was right. “It’s a team where they fight…”

He stopped when he heard the door open.

It revealed Boa whose eyes landed on the boys.

Junhui thought she looked impressive as always. She had the aura of a proud and confident person. Something he admired.

“She’s here.”

Boa stepped aside revealing the one who he was waiting for.

He jumped up the moment he saw her.

Junhui couldn’t help but feel the excitement build up in him.

She was wearing a plain black shirt, gray jeans, and black combat boots. Her long dark hair was braided down and over her shoulder. Simple and neat. Even though she looked exceptionally normal, Junhui knew that she was more than that. She looked even better in person.

She tilted her head slightly, eyes focused in confusion.

“And you are?”

He snapped back to his thoughts.

“Wen Junhui,” he introduced, standing up straighter.

She nodded slowly. “And you wanted to see me because?”

Junhui took a deep breath. “Because I want to join the Azure Dragons. I want to be on your team.”