~XXIII~

Family Isn't Always Just Blood

Xu Minghao didn’t have much he cared for. He could probably count all of them on a single hand.

Food and sleep were things he liked immensely, but most importantly was Wen Junhui.

Minghao loved Junhui like a brother he never knew he wanted.

He thought they were inseparable. So, when Junhui announced he was leaving, Minghao had his bags packed the next day.

It wasn’t as if disliked his family or anything in that manner. But Minghao had spent almost his entire childhood with Junhui and his family that they were practically his second family.

He also knew Junhui wouldn’t tell him to leave or go away, so he took advantage of that.

But now that they were standing in front of the person Junhui wanted to meet, he didn’t know what to feel.

He wasn’t even sure exactly what she did.

All he knew was that Junhui wanted to join some kind of organization that Junhui’s parents used to be in. Something Tigers.

But he saw a video of this girl and suddenly claimed that he wanted to join her organization.

Minghao didn’t care. He just wanted to be with Junhui.

But maybe, just maybe, he should know what exactly he was getting himself into.

 

“You want to join the Azure Dragons,” Jay repeated.

The boy had dark golden hair that fell flat across his forehead. She noticed his straight posture, wondering what exactly he did so that he instinctively held that position.

Her eyes traveled to the boy next to him. He now had righted himself from his upside-down position so that he was lazily slinking back into the couch. He had dark brown hair with a bored expression in his eyes.

“You too?” she asked him.

He blinked and nodded.

The first boy glanced back quickly and frowned.

“Why the Dragons?” Jay asked. “And how did you know about this?”

The boy in front of her turned to look at her and then at Boa.

“I know his parents,” Boa explained. “They used to be in my faction for a short while before deciding that wanted to live more normal lives. You remember them. The couple who never left each other’s sides. And they always seemed to like to do things their own way.”

Jay’s eyes furrowed in thought before they lit up in recognition. “Ah! Yes, now I remember. They were the ones you never were able to fully follow your orders. They always did like talking about their son.”

“You knew my parents?” he asked Jay.

“Kind of, not really. I met them a few times, but I never really talked to them. They were quite a bit older than me.” She smiled fondly. “But they always did take care of me whenever they were around. I don’t believe they stayed that long though. They were a flighty couple. They could never sit still in one place. Lovely people though.”

He nodded. “It’s true. My parents used to be in the Tigers, but they left once they realized they wanted to settle down. I never knew what they did until a few years ago, but they still keep in touch with the group.”

She looked at him dumbfounded.

"Why me?" she questioned. She then glanced at Boa. "It appears to me that you know more of Boa than me."

The boy stiffly looked at her. "It is true that I had the initial intention of joining the White Tigers. It was a dream of mine." He paused and gazed at Jay with a twinkle akin to admiration.

"However, that changed when I saw that video."

"Video?" she repeated in confusion.

“You were doing a demonstration. You knocked out at least five other people in one blow. It was amazing. So graceful and smooth.”

Jay turned to look at Boa with narrowed eyes. Boa didn't react besides a slight twitch of her left eye.

And that said everything.

"Which one did it? Was it Baekhyun? Or Chanyeol? And I wouldn’t be surprised if it was someone like Heechul or Eunhyuk. Or was it one of the girls? Soonkyu and Amber do like to do these kinds of things too."

"I don't know who it was, but it spread," Boa finally explained. "I'm sorry. I couldn't stop it. I suspect that the Wen's got a copy too. They come by to visit sometimes."

Jay sighed, rubbing her eyes. She turned back to look at the boy.

"What did you say your name was?"

He straightened up and stood firmly on his feet. "Wen Junhui."

Jay's gaze fell off the boy and to the one next to him.

"And you? Who're you?"

The dark haired boy lazily smiled and waved. "The name's Xu Minghao. I'm a friend of Junhui."

"He followed me here," Junhui added.

Jay frowned. "Are you here to join too?'

The boy shrugged absently. "I guess?"

"You guess?"

"If Junhui joins, I'll join too."

Jay blinked at him. "Do you know what exactly you're joining?"

Minghao blinked. "Something like a fighting club?"

Jay snorted lightly. "Fighting club is putting it lightly." She sighed. "Well, follow me then."

"Wait."

Jay turned her head to look at Junhui.

"Does that mean I can join?"

Jay laughed, raising an eyebrow teasingly. "Oh, no. Not yet. This is a little different from what I’ve been doing so far. I need to see what you're capable of."

She looked at Minghao. "You too." Minghao looked surprised, pointing to himself.

"Yes, you. Come on then."

They started to walk, her and Boa leading while the two boys trailed behind.

"These were the two you wanted me to see?" she asked quietly to Boa so that the only the two of them could hear. "Actually, I thought it was just one?"

Boa glanced behind them. "I know Wen Junhui. I can vouch for him. His parents trained him. The other boy..." she trailed off. "I don't know about him. I wasn't expecting him either. To be honest, I don’t know how he got in here. You can just take Junhui if you like."

Jay grimaced. "Hold up. Nobody said anything about taking anyone."

"You need to fill up your team soon,” Boa reminded. “What’s stopping you from taking them? You’ve let the others join for more odd reasons than simply wanting to.”

"I know. Don't need to tell me twice." She glanced at the two boys and sighed. "I never had anyone specifically want to join my team. It’s a weird feeling. But I guess we'll see."

"What are you planning on doing?"

Jay looked at Boa and smiled. "Well, Jongdae said to come by the practice room later. I might as well see how those two fare."

 

A chorus of "Jay!" rang across the room.

Jay grinned, seeing the familiar faces.

"Hey, you idiots. How are you guys doing?"

"Idiots?" one of the boys exclaimed. "By gods, I am offended. It is obvious that I am no idiot but the most brilliant creature to grace the earth."

Jay blinked at him and laughed. "Still as extravagant as ever, Kyungsoo."

The boy winked. "Only for you, Jay."

"I thought Jongdae was joking when he said he saw you. I was this close to murdering him for lying to us," another boy said with a grin.

"I told you I wasn't lying, Chanyeol!" Jongdae cried out in a muffle.

Which is when Jay realized that the boy was being playfully strangled in a chokehold by someone else.

The boy stood up, his tall stature shadowing everyone. "Mmm. I guess I'll have to murder you another day."

Jongdae gasped for breath, sitting up and ruffling his own hair. "God. What did you eat for lunch? You smell like the backwaters of a swamp."

"Like the whole menu," another voice said. The boy who spoke was lounging on one of the benches set in the room. He had his hood covering his head, slouching so that his body was almost parallel to the floor. He didn't look up, eyes fixated on his phone.

"Sehun's right," another boy added.

He was sitting next to him, bouncing a basketball between his legs. "And the stupid idiot had to order a ridiculous amount of food. We were there for hours.

"It's not my fault that the shop has the best food, Jongin!" Chanyeol protested.

Jay grinned at the bickering. She had forgotten that this group of boys loved to argue with each other.

"Ah, Jay," she heard. She looked over to see another boy smile pleasantly at him, taking her hand and placing a chaste kiss on the top of it. "It's always good to see you."

"Baekhyun," she smiled. "You haven't changed."

"Stop hitting everything that has two X chromosomes," another boy chided, pulling Baekhyun away from Jay.

He smiled happily. "So good to see you Jay. I wasn't expecting to see you."

"I wasn't expecting to be here either, Joonmyun."

"Sorry for the mess," he apologized.

"Well, I wasn't expecting it to be clean anyways."

Before he could make any excuse, a groan was heard.

"What's all the fuss about?" someone mumbled, propping himself up to stare over the couch.

He yawned while he rubbed his head, causing the bed head he had to become even worse.

He squinted to look at the newcomer, finally widening his eyes in delight.

He lithely jumped over the couch and bounded towards Jay.

Without a word, he ran into her, crushing her in a hug.

She returned it with a laugh, wrapping her arms around him.

"Hello, Yixing. Been staying up late, I see."

He looked at with a grin, still maintaining a tight hold on her. "You don't get better without practice."

Yixing nodded but still didn't let go.

That it until he was pulled off by someone else.

"Stop it, Yixing. You're bothering her."

"No, I'm not," Yixing pouted. "Right, Jay?"

She laughed. "Well, I guess not. But Minseok's right. I almost couldn't breathe."

Minseok let go of Yixing and sighed. "I leave for fifteen minutes and chaos ensued." He raised an eyebrow at Jay. "You'll take responsibility, I assume?"

She hummed. "Well, will a hug suffice?"

He blinked and nodded. "It shall."

They hugged briefly due to Yixing's complaints of it being too long.

"So, what brings you here?" Chanyeol asked.

The whole room had their eyes on her.

"I heard you all ranked up. Congrats! If I knew, I would have brought something to celebrate."

"Yeah, you should have," Sehun called out.

Minseok grinned. "Thanks. It's unfortunate that only nine of us made it, but I'm sure the others will manage."

“Mmm, but I didn’t come here to just to say hi. I actually have a request for you guys."

"What's in it for us?" Jongin asked suspiciously.

She raised an eyebrow. "Must I give you something in return?"

Baekhyun chuckled. "Nah, we're just wary because of the last stunt you pulled."

"If I actually told you everything, how are you going to be prepared?" Jay reasoned.

Jongin rolled his eyes. "Not telling us things is not the same as forcing us into a den of nibras. That was not fun."

"Mmm. Yes, that was quite a training session, wasn't it? But you have to admit, aren't you guys the best in reacting to surprise attacks?"

"Can't argue with you there," Joonmyun agreed.

"Still holding a grudge over that though," Jongin muttered.

Jay laughed amicably. "Fine. I'll do one thing for you guys."

"Anything?" Jongdae shouted excitedly.

"I mean within certain limits of course. But if I can do it, then I can do what I can."

The boys' eyes glinted and they huddled in a circle.

Murmurs emerged from them.

"What should we ask for?"

"I want..."

"No, how about...."

"Ew. Why would you ask that?"

"We should get the most out of this."

"He's right. When are we ever going to have this chance again?"

"Has anybody else realized that we don't know what Jay wants?"

"Worth the risk, bro."

"God..."

"Fine, are we in agreement?"

A series of nods circled the group.

They separated and Joonmyun stepped forward.

He cleared his throat.

"So, we came to the decision that what we want to go over and have another training session at your place."

Jay blinked in surprise. "That's it?"

"Well, if want us to ask for more..." Minseok trailed off.

She laughed. "I don't mind either way. But if that's what you guys want, then I would be happy to oblige."

"But to be honest, it’s just a pretense to hang out," Baekhyun clarified. “Oh, and buy us all a meal!” he added.

“No! Cook us a meal!” Jongdae shouted excitedly.

The boys seemed to agree with Jongdae’s last statement with a series of nods around the room.

"Ok, I'm alright with that. But everyone's fine with that?" She looked pointedly at Jongin's and Sehun's direction. "I would expect you two to ask for more."

Jongin rolled his eyes and Sehun snorted. "We don't really care either way," Jongin explained. "I mean, I personally think you're an alright person. So, if this is what the group wants, then so be it."

Sehun nodded. "Agreed."

Jay shrugged. "Okay. I'll make sure to visit you guys more often. And you're more than welcome to come and visit me."

"So, what is your request anyways?" Kyungsoo asked.

She grinned. "I need you to test out some potential recruits."

 

He didn't really understand what he was getting into. What they were getting into.

He looked at his friend who was sitting cross-legged on the floor, breathing in and out slowly like he was mediating.

He looked away and focused on himself as he tugged his own clothes.

That girl. She had led them into a large training room that had the appearance of a fighting arena. She then told them to change into comfortable clothing. And then she disappeared, leaving them alone.

Minghao didn't know what to do but Junhui immediately sat down and started his breathing exercises.

He never properly learned any martial arts or any self-defense or fighting. Well, sort of.

Since he hung out with Junhui so much, he pretty much learned whatever his parents taught him.

They never seemed bothered that he was there too. In fact, they seemed pleased and took time to help him with it too.

Minghao frowned. So maybe he did learn some kind of fighting. But he never put any effort in it. Not like Junhui. He did it just because his friend did too.

He glanced around the empty room and then wondered once again why he was here.

He shook his head and looked at his friend. There was a reason why he was here and he swore not to forget it.

"Alright, are you guys ready?'

The doors flew open with the female from before. And in tow were several males trailing behind.

Junhui jumped up in surprise.

"What is this?"

She looked at him. "I need to test you guys. So, what's a better way than having these guys do it."

Minghao could tell that his friend was slightly apprehensive despite the stoic expression on his face.

"What? Are you scared?" she smirked.

Minghao was surprised that she noticed it too.

Junhui narrowed his eyes and steadied himself. "No, I'm willing to accept any challenge you throw at me."

They stared at each other for a quick minute before she grinned. "I like your attitude."

She broke her gaze and focused her attention on him now.

"And you? Are you also going through with this?"

Minghao didn't say anything. He didn't know what to say.

Jay nodded. “Well, let me know what you decide. Junhui will go first.”

Junhui stood up and slowly walked towards her.

She looked behind her. “Who wants to go?”

“Me.”

A boy in full black attire pushed his way through. His dark brown hair fell over his eyes and he shook his head to get them out of his face.

“Jongin,” the girl acknowledged. She frowned slightly, deep in thought. “Okay, I think it should be fine. The rules are basic fighting. No pulling out any umbra guns or things like that. Five minutes.”

“Fine.” The boy smirked and pulled off his jacket, throwing it aside.

He rolled his shoulders and stretched his arms.

He walked towards the middle of the room and faced Junhui, looking at him up and down.

“You know how to fight?” he asked with a frown.

Junhui blinked. “I was taught certain skills in the martial arts.”

Jongin smirked. “That’s good enough for me.”

And without another word, he punched Junhui in the face.

 

 

It was a slight surprise to him. The opponent was swift and packed a heavy punch.

Junhui managed to block part of the force, but it was strong enough to push him a few inches back.

From that single move, Junhui knew that his opponent tended to go towards the offensive style.

He took a few steps back, creating a distance between them. But the other male moved forward instantly and pulled out another punch, this time to Junhui’s stomach.

It was predictable enough that Junhui deflected his attack and aimed to do a roundhouse kick.

It went as Junhui predicted, but the other male’s punch was so strong that it still managed to make Junhui wince and not produce as strong of a kick as he would have liked.

He clicked his tongue and jumped backwards. He knew that it would not be wise to be hit by him again.

Even though the male’s attacks were predictable and easy to read, they full of force that it didn’t matter if you blocked it or deflected it.

The only way now was to dodge it.

When the male threw another punch, Junhui dodged it, but just when his did, the male immediately punched him with the other arm.

Junhui caught his fist, despite feeling the brunt force of it, and kicked him in the stomach, pushing him back.

The male got back up in a crouch, his eyes narrowed and lips in a dangerous smile.

“Time!”

They both stopped and turned to look at Jay.

She clapped her hands. “That was good. You both can come back now.”

Junhui could feel himself let out a breath of relief.

The other male stood up and looked over to Junhui. He stared at him before he let out a small smirk. “You’re not half bad. But if I gotten serious, you wouldn’t have lasted.”

He walked past him as the members of his group patted him on the back and pushed him around. Some of them mocked the words he said to Junhui and . He growled and snapped back at the rest of the guys.

Junhui looked over to Jay and walked over to her.

“Did I do okay?” he asked her tentatively. “Am I allowed to join now?”

“We’ll see,” she only said.

Junhui looked down. He honestly thought that he was good enough to be chosen already. He thought that Jay would immediately take him in. But he was now starting to feel embarrassed. He barely did well against his opponent, and now he was afraid of being shut down.

“So, do you want to give it a try?”

Junhui looked up as Jay was now looking at Minghao.

The boy shrugged. “I guess.”

She returned the gesture. “If you don’t want to do it, it’s fine. I’ll just take that as you’re not interested in joining the group.”

He frowned. “I’ll be separated from Junhui then.”

“If he joins and you don’t.”

His frown deepened. “Then, I’ll do it.”

She paused. “Do you know how to fight?”

The boy grinned. “Somewhat.”

She turned to the group of boys behind her. “Anyone one of you want to take him on?”

The group murmured amongst themselves until someone stepped forward.

“Oh, Yixing. Are you sure?”

He nodded slowly.

“Let him do it! All he does is sleep these days, anyways,” Baekhyun shouted.

Yixing shrugged, “I don’t mind.”

Junhui turned to Minghao with stern eyes.

But his friend simply winked back.

 

Minghao would call himself an easygoing kind of guy.

He wasn’t really expecting to get in this sort of situation, but in order to achieve what he wants, he was willing to do whatever he needed to do.

If he had to beat up some guys just so he could continue to be his best friend, then so be it.

Minghao rotated his wrists and then his ankles as he peered at the male who approached the arena.

His dark hair lay messily over his eyes, like he just woke up. He stared blandly at the floor until Minghao cleared his throat.

He looked startled and immediately put out a hand. Minghao slowly took it and the male put his other hand over it, shaking it enthusiastically.

“Let’s have a good fight.”

Minghao blinked and nodded, repeating the words.

“Same rules. Five minutes,” Jay called out.

Minghao grinned and then swept the floor with his foot.

Yixing avoided it, unsteadily walking back in a sort of zig-zag formation.

Minghao took another step forward, picking up speed. He threw a punch towards the other’s face, but Yixing bent his knees slightly and blocked it with both arms.

Minghao grunted slightly, feeling the rebound against his knuckles. It felt like punching a rock. But he had no time to think or alleviate his pain because Yixing threw his own punch.

Minghao dodged it but it curved, following his own path of motion. He rolled just in time and sat back on his haunches. He quickly got up and grabbed his wrist, but Yixing twisted it until his grip came loose. He then grabbed it, moving it clockwise and throwing him across the floor.

Minghao groaned, feeling the spike of pain run across his back.

“Time.”

Yixing, who was about to aim a kick at the fallen boy, immediately lowered his foot and stood back. He looked over to Minghao and put out a hand.

Minghao stared at it before reluctantly letting the other male help him up.

Yixing smiled pleasantly. “That was fun. We should do this again.”

“And have you beat me up again? No, thanks.”

Yixing pouted slightly. “You weren’t that bad. Considering how we have years of experience over you, I don’t expect you or your friend to win. You managed to at least hold your own. You should be proud of that.”

Minghao huffed slightly, his hair fluttering with it. “You weren’t serious.”

Yixing laughed good-heartedly. “True. But you weren’t either.”

They both looked at each other before breaking out in grins. They approached the group of people and Yixing went back to his teammates as they praised him and patted him on the back, saying how watching the fights caused them the urge to spar as well.

Minghao walked over to where Jay and Junhui were standing.

She looked amused while Junhui stared at him thoughtfully.

Minghao realized that he was going to take this rather easily, but ended up being much more serious than he planned to.

“Are you two in any pain or have any injuries?”

Junhui shook his head while Minghao said, “Just a couple bruises and a sore ego. Nothing too bad.”

“Then we’re done here. Let’s go back and talk.”

The two boys looked at each other before following the young woman out of the arena.