~I~

Family Isn't Always Just Blood

 

As always, she was the second to arrive to the meeting. The room wasn’t the most inviting. With its chilly air and dark lighting, Jay never really liked the room. Too stuffy for her taste.

She nodded a greeting to the only person in the room.

Kwon Boa.

As always, she was in a white suit studded with gold accessories. A grim frown was set on her face. And it didn’t help that her chair was covered with white fur with stripes and an imposing tiger’s head at the crown of the chair.

“You’re late,” she murmured disapprovingly.

Jay laughed. “Only by three minutes. I assume you were here like five minutes early.”

Boa bristled a little at her words. “Exactly eight minutes and four seconds.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t count the milliseconds.”

Boa scoffed and smirked. “Who said I didn’t?”

Jay grinned.

Kwon Boa, the leader of the White Tigers, holding the power of earth.

She was a strict leader with criticism of being too harsh and military-like on her team.

But Jay knew better. She could tell that her disciples loved her despite all the rumors. And they produced some of the best work amongst the four of them.

Although Boa might be a little rough on the edges, they had a friendly competition between the two of them. They had sparred more than once and had an even amount of wins and losses between them.

Jay lithely jumped onto her own seat which was covered with blue scales, a etching of a dragon’s body encircled the chair until the crown where a massive carving of a dragon emerged.

Shin Jay, the leader of the Azure Dragons and wielder of the wind. She dealt with the more extreme cases that no one else wanted to take on. She was an interesting person. She got along well with the rest of the three, a rather hard thing to do. But she was easy to talk to, something that the rest of them would admit. However, she was the only one of the four whose past was never revealed.

They sat in silence until the third came sauntering in.

Lee Seonwoong or Tablo as he liked to be called.

He was dressed rather garishly with dark red and black clothing. He glanced at the two females and lazily saluted them.

He walked over to his own seat that was covered with dark red feathers and a large bird’s head perched on top. The leader of the Vermillion Birds holding the power over fire was someone who was everywhere. Literally everywhere.

He dealt with things such as information and sometimes worked on stealth missions with Jay. He was the man to talk to about anything you would ever want to know. Secrets included.

Jay could see Boa’s face turn stonier by the minute. It wasn’t unknownst amongst them the slight dislike Boa had for Tablo.

But Tablo never really cared, which was perhaps one of his more likeable features. He liked to do things on his own pace and had a fierce competitive side. He had the most disciples out of the fours of them and held more of a loose control on them. It wasn’t odd to hear one of his disciples causing trouble here and there.

“Lovely to see you both.”

Jay merely rolled her eyes. “We all know that you don’t mean that.”

He grinned, chin on his hands. “Now, how do you know that?”

“Because you’re an obnoxious bastard,” Boa supplied bluntly.

Tablo frowned at her words. “I’m hurt, Boa. I thought we were friends.”

“We are not friends,” she hissed. “And I’ll have more respect for you when you learn to do your job properly.”

He looked at her coldly. “I do my job properly. Isn’t that right, Jay?”

Jay snorted. “Leave me out of your lover’s spat.”

“We are not lovers,” she stonily objected. “And you. One of your boys caused trouble with my boys. Learn to control them. I hate to think they’re the one in charge rather than you,” Boa seethed.

Jay rolled her eyes and laid her head on the table. Tablo and Boa fought like cat and dog due to their polar personalities. It was normal for them to fight at every meeting.

But before their argument got any more heated, the fourth person rushed in.

“So sorry I’m late,” he gasped out.

He was wearing a black coat that fluttered behind him, wide eyes staring at the rest of them.

“Got caught up on some experiments. Think we’re making a breakthrough. One of the specimens Jay brought in has provided some great insight.”

He continued on speaking, but they soon become more scientific jargon that none of them understood.

“Jo Kwon. Calm down,” Jay interrupted. “You know that when you go off, we don’t understand.”

He blinked at her and laughed. “Ah, yes. I forget. You’re all brainless dolts.”

“That’s harshly putting it,” Jay said with a chuckle.

Both Boa and Tablo did not take his insults kindly.

“We’re out here putting our lives on the line, but you and your lab rats stay inside all the time. You don’t know anything about the combat world,” Tablo bitterly spat out. He was angry which was rare to see. He never did like when people insulted his intelligence.

“Aw, lay off him,” Jay said, “You should know by now that insulting Jo Kwon is like talking to a brick wall. He won’t even respond unless it interests him.”

Boa sniffed. “At least he’s doing his job properly, unlike someone we know. But I do admit, I don’t like being told I’m brainless.”

Jo Kwon paid them no attention, only hurriedly settling into his seat, a large ebony colored chair with a turtle shell etched in the back followed with a massive carving of one on top. The leader of the Black Turtles and holder of the power of water. Jo Kwon and his team were above average fighters; nothing like the White Tigers. What they really excelled at was intelligence and research. The whole group relied on Jo Kwon and his team.

But he disliked talking to the others, who he thought wasn’t up to his standards. The only exception he made was for Jay. She was the only one who would actually sit down and listen to his findings despite not understanding everything he said. And she was the only one who would produce specimens in quality conditions.

Once they all settled in, they waited for the last one.

At the head of the table, a dark shadow loomed. His silhouette was hard to decipher, for it would change by the second. It was rumored that no one had ever seen the Head’s true figure, but it was obvious that he wasn’t exactly human.

“Hello, everyone. Thank you for taking the time of your day to attend our monthly meetings.”

“Not like we have a choice,” Tablo snorted.

The Head laughed. “I do suppose that is true.  And yet you choose to be here, no? But I digress, as always, Kwon Boa has produced the best results. Your team has stopped the most transitioners so far this year. ”

Boa bowed her head in thanks. “It is nothing, Head. I know the work we do is important.”

“And Jo Kwon? Please update us on your progress.”

“Of course. As you know, we had made some significant progress on the manifestation of the source. We understand how it starts, but unfortunately we do not know how to stop it. As it remains, it seems like once it starts, it is inevitable that they will turn into a nibra. We are working on seeing if there is a reversal in the transition stage or a way to pause it.”

The Head’s figure nodded before changing into a eagle shaped head.

“Good. And Lee Seonwoong? Your updates?”

Tablo saluted lazily but turned serious. “Our information sources have seen an increase in numbers of nibras. And not only that, it also seems like they are grouping in concentrated areas. But oddly enough, we see them in different places. I know we said nibras are more likely to emerge in cities and metropolitan areas, but we have seen groups pop up in rural areas as well.”

The Head sighed. “I was afraid of this. It seems like the dark misima have been flowing into this world at a quicker pace than usual. We can not afford to be idle. I am putting on us high alert. And than means you as well, Jo Kwon.”

The said person groaned. “Head, you know that the research is important. I can’t just get up and leave it behind.”

“I understand, that is why I have put your area in charge around your base. And do not worry, it is not a large area.”

He turned to look at Jay. “However, that means the rest of you have an increase of area coverage. I know that both Kwon Boa and Lee Seonwoong are capable with the help of their teams, but you, Shin Jay, have no team.”

It was true. The three others had disciples and a strong team to command, but Shin Jay had refused to take anyone on. She was the youngest out of the four, but she had been with the Head the longest. She was with the Head when he found the other three. She as the one who helped them get their bearings and seen them take on students as well. And yet, Shin Jay remained a team of one.

They had all urged her to gather a team, but she refused, never telling why.

The Head was lenient on her, knowing why she refused, but this was not a time to be lenient anymore. He needed her to gather a team and fast.

“I understand why you refuse to take on a team, but you cannot be stubborn now. Not when the miasma is approaching at an alarming rate.I will give you a month, Shin Jay. Gather a team by then.”

“No limit,” she stubbornly said.

The Head stayed silent. “Do not test me, Jay.” His voice was calm but the air was not.

She stared at the silhouette. “I swear I will gather a team. But I can’t do it in such a short period of time. I would give you an estimate, but even I don’t know. I will try and get at least three a month.”

“Fine. I will hold you to your word. In the meantime, you can help the others with their work. Dismissed.”

And with that, the Head disappeared with a puff of smoke.

“We finally get to see the solo dragon gather a team. It’s about time,” Tablo grinned.

Jay sighed. “I don’t want to though.”

“Why did you want no time limit?” Boa questioned. “I’m sure one month is plenty of time to gather a team. In fact, if you need to you can recruit from mine.”

“And risk them hating me? No thanks. You know they love you Boa. They would literally die for you. And I don’t want to rush. I’m going to need more than a month to feel comfortable. It is my first time doing this.”

“Mmm. If it means getting more specimens from you, I don’t mind.” Jo Kwon was already halfway to the door as he spoke. “Anyways, you are always welcome to help out in my team. You defending my area while I research? My ideal situation. You know where to find me.”

And he was gone, hurrying back to his research lab.

Tablo also got up. “Well, I don’t mind you helping out my team either. They like you. And it would be good for them to see other skills.”

Boa stood up. “But I request her skills first. I’m training a new group tomorrow, and I would appreciate another set of eyes.”

Jay laughed. “Wow, I’ve never felt more popular in my life. But I’ll help Boa first. It would be good to watch some newbies.”

Tablo shrugged. “Alright. I’m planning on watching one of my team execute a solo mission sometime soon if you’re interested.”

Jay smiled. “I’ll be there.”

Both Boa and Tablo nodded and left the room, leaving Jay alone in the room.

Now that she was alone, she let out a soft sigh, laying her head on the cold table. She knew it was inevitable, but she was hoping she would be able to push it off further.

It wasn’t as if she wanted to be a lone wolf. In fact, she thought many times about forming a team. She secretly wanted it for the longest time. Watching the others interact with their own team, she always felt a pang of jealously. She wanted that. The feeling of more than being a team, but a feeling of familial comfort.

But she always held back. Because she was scared. Scared of leading a team, having other lives rely on her.

When she was alone, the only person she had to worry about was herself.

And she didn’t want anyone to go through what she had to.

She sighed, but it was inevitable. She knew she had to.

She just hoped she was ready for it.