Chapter 6

Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Word Count: 6,418

Note: This chapter is long, but there's a lot going on! I'm not sure how the story is going, so please, don't be afraid to give me your feedback! I hope after this chapter, no one sees Minho as a jerk, because he's simply trying to look after his friend. And in case you were worried about excess drama and a love triangle, Minho will not be appearing much after this chapter, and there will be lots more moments with Baekhyun to come!

~~

Hwayoung finds that the days pass swiftly beneath her feet like a cool, autumn breeze with all the studies and the errands, which includes restocking Baekhyun’s cigarettes, organizing the males’ cluttered offices, and keeping the males from doing anything stupid. And it's with each day that she finds herself integrating into this new world, slowly creeping away from Minho and the others she would associate herself with.

It's during a break between classes that she finds herself simultaneously scurrying to a class while running a list of things she has to do today.

Clean the office. She’ll do that once she gets back from classes.

Buy pens for the office. She’ll probably leave Jongdae to do that.

Meet Kyungsoo. Her last class is canceled today, maybe she can meet him then.

Right now, she’s entering a building and glancing around with desperate eyes because she needs to print an assignment for a class. She had discovered only last night that the printer in one of the rooms on the second floor of the Exo Credit Union building had been broken for who knows how long. She finally reaches the classroom of a teacher she is acquainted with, hoping to print her assignment there.

“Hwayoung, nice to see you,” her professor greets when she swings open the door.

“It's been a while,” she smiles, before pleasing, “My printer broke down yesterday. Can I print my assignment for my next class?”

“Of course,” her professor laughs. Her right hand comes over her heart, a long breath drawn out in a relieved sigh.

“Thank you so much,” she says, before plopping down in the seat before her professor's computer.

“I have to go pick up some copies so I may not be back once you're done,” her professor says. “I’ll see you around.”

Hwayoung waves goodbye to her professor, her hands then quickly returning to the keyboard, fiddling anxiously as she takes a few seconds to remember the password for her email. It’s once she finally opens the document and begins printing that she begins to feel at ease. The whirring of the printer beside her settles her buzzing nerves, and she glances around the classroom to see some other students rapidly copying homework and cramming twenty pages of text into their minds for a test.

But it’s when the printing suddenly recedes that Hwayoung whips her head around, a grimace wreathing her tired face when she sees another female, vaguely familiar, standing by the printer.

“I was printing something,” Hwayoung says.

“I need to use the printer,” the other female says. Hwayoung definitely recognizes her from middle school and high school. What had her name been? Sooyoung? Soojin?

“As I said, I was printing something,” Hwayoung frowns. “If you learned about manners, you should know that it’s rude to interrupt someone and that you should wait for your turn.”

“What do you know about manners, Hwayoung?” the female sighs. “All you do is get angry with people when you don’t get your way. Not to mention, you don’t have your father to back you up anymore, so you shouldn’t cause so much trouble. Everyone knows that you’re staying with some rich guy now. What would your father say?”

Hwayoung feels the blood rush to her cheeks, an angry red marring her skin and her ears burn scarlet.

“I can certainly tell that your father didn’t educate you very well on being polite,” Hwayoung remarks. “Didn’t he ever tell you that you shouldn’t make assumptions about people without knowing what they’re going through?”

Soojin, which Hwayoung is pretty sure is her name, takes the papers from the printer, holding then far from Hwayoung’s grasp.

“Give that to me now,” Hwayoung says.

“You’re going to let me use the printer and apologize to me,” Soojin sneers.

Out of the corner of her eye, she sees the other male students watching in anticipation, while a few of the other female students make remarks about Hwayoung before disinterestedly turning away from the fight to continue with whatever they were working on.

“Why would I apologize to you?” Hwayoung says, almost condescendingly. She lunges forward to reach for her papers, only for Soojin to back away, the assignment still held tightly between her long fingers.

Hwayoung grumbles under her breath, but before she can snap, a figure garbed in dark clothes appears behind Soojin and swipes the assignment easily from her hand. Soojin angrily turns around, lips parted to reprimand whoever it is that’s interrupting their argument, until she falls silent when she recognizes the figure behind her.

“Is this yours?” Kyungsoo asks, handing Hwayoung the papers.

Hwayoung nods, before mumbling, “Thanks.”

Kyungsoo nonchalantly plods to the computer, asking, “How many more pages do you need to print?”

Hwayoung quickly flips through the slightly crinkled papers in her hand, answering, “I need the last four pages.”

The idle printer stirs awake once more, spluttering out Hwayoung’s papers before falling back into a lull.

Hwayoung almost wants to take a picture of Soojin’s face because she seems almost terrified. Hwayoung knows, it’s not good news whenever Kyungsoo is involved in anything. The male belongs to a much darker part of society, the influence of his family branching out and reaching any possible aspect of life. And unless Soojin wants to be an enemy of the Do family, she knows she should just shut up.

“It’s yours now,” Kyungsoo says almost threateningly, gesturing to the printer. “It would be nice if you could just be patient next time.”

Kyungsoo takes Hwayoung by the wrist, his other hand reaching for her bag, before leading her out of the classroom. The other students swarming through the halls and trudging to their classes stop, oppressive stares focusing on Hwayoung when they see her with Kyungsoo.

It’s once they’re outside that Hwayoung slips her wrist from Kyungsoo’s fingers and murmurs, “Thanks, but I need to head to class.”

She reaches for her bag, but Kyungsoo keeps it from her grasp. “Where is your next class?”

“Kyungsoo, I can go by myself,” Hwayoung says unconvincingly. “Please, people are already talking about us.”

“Let me just walk you to your next class.”

“You didn't have to do that,” Hwayoung sighs. “You don't have to worry about me. I don't want to draw any attention to myself, and I don't want you having to go through any trouble because of me.”

“Well, you’re not exactly doing a good job of either,” Kyungsoo remarks, raising an eyebrow.

It takes only a few prods and sneers, a few insults thrown around, for Hwayoung to say something. Occasionally, Hwayoung will encounter confrontation or some students nearly spitting at her as they curse her, and it takes everything for her to shut and not get herself into any bigger trouble. She knows, any scuffle on campus can lead the truth about her association with Baekhyun to be exposed.

“I really mean it, I don't want you going through any trouble because of me,” Hwayoung says. “You know I can handle these things on my own.”

It had always been Minho who would bring Hwayoung away from threatening situations, but Hwayoung finds her time with Minho dwindling as she lingers near Kyungsoo. She feels guilt weighing heavily on her shoulders when she’s with Minho- he does so much for her yet all she does is keep secrets and push him away.

But Hwayoung wants to be independent.

“I know you can handle these things on your own, but when you do, you know it doesn't end well, princess,” Kyungsoo says. His words are just as sharp as his wits, and Hwayoung would been offended if she wasn't aware that Kyungsoo was simply a terse man who has difficulty expressing affection.

“You know me too well,” Hwayoung sighs. She knows Kyungsoo is sharp with his thoughts and intuition, but it's almost terrifying how he can see through her and her words like cellophane. Yet she’s intrigued by his presence, each short conversation revealing something about the male that leaves Hwayoung dumbfounded and curious.

Like how Kyungsoo doesn't actually want to take over an important position in his family’s corporation and is embarrassed each time someone mentions his family.

“If you’re going to walk me to my class, we better leave now,” Hwayoung says.

It's as her gaze slowly shifts from Kyungsoo that she sees a familiar male in the distance, his tall figure hovering over the other male students around him.

, Hwayoung curses, realizing that Minho has just witnessed her talking to Do Kyungsoo.

~~

“What's up, princess?” Jongdae’s voice buzzes through the phone.

“I have to meet a friend but I think he’s upset with me, and it’s not good news when he’s upset,” Hwayoung rapidly babbles into her phone, hurrying out of her last class while glancing around. “I may not make it out alive, so I’m just letting you know now in case you don’t see me walk out of campus.”

“Need help?”

“This isn’t something you can help with,” Hwayoung murmurs.

“Alright,” Jongdae laughs. She can imagine the smirk playing on his lips, and she simply wants to smack that mocking smile off his face. “Have fun, princess.”

Hwayoung hardly has time to throw her phone in her bag before a hand stops her by the arm, and a voice she’s dreading to hear says, “Hey.”

Hwayoung doesn’t dare turn around, her eyes simply swivel to the right, catching sight of Minho, his face rather expressionless- a stark contrast to his usual bright smile.

“Can you follow me for a moment?” Minho asks, and Hwayoung has never heard his voice this solid and cold, void of his warm laughter.

“I actually have someplace to be,” Hwayoung splutters, her mind racking her thoughts for any excuse that can get her out of this situation. But Minho knows her, and it's obvious through the wavering eyes and rushed breaths that he knows Hwayoung is lying.

Minho simply raises an eyebrow at her, arms crossed over his chest in silence, until Hwayoung finally lets out a sigh and acquiesces to his whims. She finds herself following him through the campus until they’re behind a large building, nothing but footsteps echoing around them.

“Care to explain why you were with Do Kyungsoo?” Minho asks, the disapproving gaze so reminiscent of Hwayoung’s own father.

“I know you said a thousand times that people like him are no good, but I got to know him, and he's actually not that bad of a guy,” Hwayoung mumbles.

“Hwayoung, this isn't about whether he's a good guy or not,” Minho sighs. “You and I both know what kind of business his family is in, and I just don't want you getting caught up in that.”

But Hwayoung knows, being acquainted with Kyungsoo is the least of her troubles right now.

And it's in that moment that Hwayoung’s phone begins buzzing relentlessly, inducing Minho to ask, “I think you’re getting messages from someone?”

“It's not important,” Hwayoung blurts, knowing already who it probably is.

“Are you trying to hide something from me?” Minho asks. “You don't talk to me these days, and when you do, you’re always in a hurry to get someplace else.”

Minho looks at her with suspicion, and Hwayoung curses herself for being so transparent and uselessly honest that she can't even hide one secret. Minho can see the worry in her eyes, and he swipes the phone in her pocket with a swift motion of the arm before Hwayoung can even react.

Mafia Prince: Do you know where the hell Chanyeol left the car keys?

“Mafia Prince,” Minho murmurs, and it only takes a few moments for the gears to turn and the realization to strike him like a metal bar. “You have got to be kidding me.”

“It's not who you think.”

Another terrible, terrible excuse.

“If this isn't Byun Baekhyun then who else is it?” Minho nearly shouts.

Perhaps Hwayoung should’ve chosen a subtler nickname to put in her contacts, but she thinks “Mafia Prince” is a lot better than the first name she had thought of, something along the lines of “Byun ing Baekhyun.”

Another spark of realization nearly has Minho bursting into flames of hot anger as he asks, “Are you staying with him? I thought the rumors about you staying with some rich guy weren't true, but are you actually staying with Byun Baekhyun?”

“Of course not, I’m living by myself,” Hwayoung says. “I just happen to know him because of some mutual friends.”

The phone buzzes in Minho’s hand once more.

Mafia Prince: Where the hell are you? And why aren't you answering me?

Hwayoung knows, she has probably just screwed herself over.

~~

“It's fine,” Hwayoung says, as Minho exits from his car and storms toward the doors of the Exo Credit Union. “Let's just go back, please.”

“I'm going to find out why this guy is ordering you around,” Minho nearly growls and he pushes open the doors, Hwayoung trailing behind.

It's just then that another tall male emerges from the elevator, smiling brightly at Hwayoung, until his eyes land on the unfamiliar male.

“You can't barge in here anytime you’d like,” Jongin says, stepping in front of Minho.

“I need to talk to Byun Baekhyun,” Minho says.

“Who the hell are you?”

“All you need to to know is that I'm not a brutal mobster like you.”

Flames roar in Jongin’s dark pupils and anger pulls his fist back in preparation for a blow to Minho’s face. Hwayoung is quick to throw herself forward and latch onto Jongin’s arm.

“He’s my friend, and this is all just a misunderstanding,” she says, arms strained as she holds Jongin down from pouncing onto the male opposite him. “It’ll take just a few minutes to talk with Baekhyun, and he’ll be gone.”

Jongin’s clenched jaw loosens, as he huffs out an angry breath.

“Fine,” he growls, “but one wrong move, and I won't hesitate in beating your sorry .”

Hwayoung quickly pushes Minho until they're far from Jongin’s sight, and she pleads, “I don't want you to do this, but if you're going to talk to him please make it quick.”

Minho almost walks through the wrong door a few times, but he finally stands before the large gray doors to Baekhyun’s office. Hwayoung is almost frightened by the confidence with which Minho walks inside.

She almost has the urge to grab him by the arm and pull him away once and for all, but Hwayoung knows it’s too late when Minho steps inside. Baekhyun is standing with his hands on his hips, eyebrows furrowed as his sharp eyes scan over the array of papers on his desk. His gaze flickers to the door, where he sees Hwayoung. It doesn’t take long for him to notice the unfamiliar male as well.

“Who are you?” Baekhyun asks, almost rudely.

“I’m Choi Minho,” Minho answers stoically, and Hwayoung sees the realization pass Baekhyun’s face as the male scoffs.

“So you’re the second son of the Choi family,” Baekhyun jeers. “We don’t have any business with you, so it would probably be best that you leave now. I’m not a pleasant person to be around when I’m upset.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter