Chapter 13

Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Word Count: 3,800

Note: Another sort of mushy and fluffy chapter, but the action and suspense is coming soon. Also, if you haven't noticed, I like to use foreshadowing and I frequently refer back to characters and information from past chapters, so read carefully and try to remember as much as you can to understand future events ;-)

~~

Hwayoung hastily glances at the clock as she hurries down the street, eyes scanning over building after building until a familiar name comes into view. She pushes open the door to the restaurant, panting heavily as she apologizes, “I’m sorry I’m late.”

Hwayoung’s cousin Yeon Seok stands before her, and he chuckles, “It’s alright, I wasn’t waiting long.”

It’s after Hwayoung is led through the grand halls of the expensive restaurant that she takes a seat across from Yeon Seok, her fingers excitedly flipping through the thick pages of the menu.

“Order whatever you like,” Yeon Seok smiles, and she wonders why there are no men with manners like her cousin at her university.

Hwayoung doesn’t know when it happens, but she becomes aware after receiving her drink from the waitress that Yeon Seok’s face contorts into an expression of hesitation and doubt, his eyebrows knotted together and lips pulling into a rigid frown.

“Is something wrong?” Hwayoung asks, sudden concern swathing her quiet voice.

“We found some interesting information about Uncle,” Yeon Seok mumbles from between hesitant lips.

“Do you know where Dad is?” Hwayoung asks with expectation.

“Not really,” Yeon Seok answers, before continuing, “But my older brother is trying to temporarily take over things at Oh Corporations to get business running again, but the higher-ups won’t let him do anything. They sit around arguing all day about what they’re going to do, and they say my brother shouldn’t have anything to do with the company, though he’s the president’s nephew. All of them are just trying to take advantage of the situation and want to take over the president’s position.”

Hwayoung looks down, her eyes tracing over her distorted reflection within the polished silver utensils.

She realizes she hasn’t thought about it much, but her father’s company is suffering. Perhaps the headlines in the newspapers abandoned on the streets or in the convenience store were negligible, but hearing it from Yeon Seok, Hwayoung can’t help but feel guilt weighing upon her shoulders and apprehension coiling the knots in her stomach.

Her father’s company, the one he had dreamed about and worked relentlessly to develop, is in a crisis, and there’s nothing she can do about it.

“But don’t worry yourself over that, Hwayoung,” Yeon Seok says empathetically, his voice filled with warmth. “You’re still a student, and you’re only nineteen. You have a lot of things to do while you’re still young, so enjoy those things. We’re going to find your father, and everything that you’re going through will pass.”

Hwayoung finds a sliver of reassurance in Yeon Seok’s warm words, but it isn’t enough.

“But that’s not what I wanted to tell you today,” Yeon Seok says, his expression turning serious once more, lips pressed in a rigid line. “I’m not sure if it’s just a rumor to ruin the reputation of your father so the company falls into someone else’s hands, but there’s been stories going around about your father being involved with mobsters and underground businesses.”

“You mean, like the mafia?” Hwayoung asks in disbelief.

“Yes,” Yeon Seok answers. “And apparently, these rumors aren’t new. The higher-ups at Oh Corporations say these rumors started a few years after Oh Corporations became a substantial name in the country. But the rumors died down after no evidence was found. After all, Uncle is known as a good, hard-working man. But they say he aided the mafia at one point and made secret deals that no one knows about. I even asked some superiors at a law firm I used to work at about past cases against your father, but he always came out clean. Nothing unusual could be found about him.”

Hwayoung’s mind is thrown into sudden tumult when she hears about this. There’s something in her mind, the beginnings of a few sparks of realization that may burst out into flames but can’t find anything that will catch fire. Frustration leads to confusion that swells in her mind as she remembers once more that she knows nothing about why she is with Baekhyun and why her father has disappeared.

It seems as if everyone is telling her different things.

She had asked Kyungsoo about her father’s disappearance, she heard what Baekhyun had to say, but hearing Yeon Seok’s words only confuse her even more.

Baekhyun and her father had told her that Oh Moontaek had a debt to pay and thus handed over Hwayoung to Exo Credit Union.

Kyungsoo had told her there had been no official transactions or dealings between the two parties, not even evidence of prior contact.

But now, Yeon Seok is telling Hwayoung that there are rumors of her father being affiliated with the mafia and perhaps even helping them.

It seems as if everyone around her knows something but they’re simply turning their backs and sealing their lips, and Hwayoung feels helpless. Asking around for information about her father has only led her in useless circles and has her clawing at a door that won’t swing open to reveal the answers that lay behind.

Why is she with Exo Credit Union?

What exactly is the relationship between her father and Baekhyun?

Yeon Seok notices Hwayoung’s troubled expression, the way her teeth nibble at her lips and her eyebrows furrow together in frustration.

“Are you alright?” Yeon Seok asks. “I know it’s a lot to take in, but don’t worry about it. My brother’s going to take care of the company, and I’m going to find out where Uncle is so you don’t have to worry, alright?”

Perhaps Hwayoung has been too busy to notice it or perhaps she’s just been suppressing it, but she feels a sudden surge of dejection surface among her other feelings. Talking to Yeon Seok reminds her of how much she misses her family, her father.

“Thank you, Yeon Seok,” Hwayoung smiles.

~~

It’s the day after Hwayoung has met with Yeon Seok, and she feels like throwing up.

Literally.

Nausea causes her head to reel and her legs to wobble, leaving her a disoriented mess throughout the day. She wonders if she had eaten her lunch too quickly or if she’s simply too tired after staying up all night finishing a report. She hobbles out her class and lumbers past a few buildings, her focus finally returning when she hears a familiar voice.

She turns to see Myungsoo waiting near the library, a boyish grin on his face.

“Myungsoo,” Hwayoung smiles, feet pattering quickly against the concrete to catch up to the male. “What are you doing here?”

“I saw you walk this way after your class last time, so I thought I’d find you here again,” Myungsoo cheerfully explains. “Our conversation was cut short last time, so I thought we could talk for a bit today and take a walk, like we used do.”

“That sounds nice,” Hwayoung smiles.

She forgets about her sluggish mind for a few brief moments as she and Myungsoo walk away from the cluster of buildings near the center of her campus. Hwayoung feels a rush of excitement as she recollects her childhood memories. They talk about their summer camp days, days when buying ice cream was the definition of happiness and days when the only thing Hwayoung had to complain about was how hot the weather was.

“Everything was great back then,” Hwayoung sighs, her current predicament absolutely grim and deplorable when compared to her younger days.

It’s as they walk near the parking lot b with cars that Hwayoung and Myungsoo pass by a pair of friends who recognize Hwayoung and mutter, “That found another man to mooch off of. She’s really nothing without her father’s money.”

Hwayoung nearly stops in her tracks, her fingers curling into fists red with anger and the temptation to throw a punch to their petty faces clouding her judgment. However, knowing that her childhood friend is beside her, Hwayoung suppresses her anger and simply wonders whether Myungsoo heard the malicious comment.

“Hey,” he murmurs apologetically. “I know a lot of kids said mean things about you when you were younger since you came from a privileged family, but what they said was too much. Don’t listen to them.”

“You don’t have to worry,” Hwayoung mumbles, the nausea and unsettling throbbing in her head returning. “I’m used to it now. It’s comforting knowing I have an old friend like you, though.”

Myungsoo’s expression falls into a somber countenance, guilt swatching his voice as he mumbles, “I’m sorry I can’t do anything as a friend to help you.”

Hwayoung wants to tell him that it’s alright, but she notices that his somber expression suddenly contorts into one of surprise and fluster when he looks up.

“Hwayoung, I’m so sorry, but I just remembered I had to be somewhere,” Myungsoo stammers. “I forgot I promised some relatives that I’d visit. I’ll find you again, and we can finish up this conversation later. I’m sorry but I really need to leave.”

“That’s not a problem,” Hwayoung laughs. “You’ve always been pretty forgetful.”

Myungsoo gives a quick wave before whirling around on his heels and dashing off. Hwayoung watches as his slim figure fad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter