Chapter 11

Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Word Count: 3,130

Note: Classes have started for me again, and I decided to update with a short chapter in case I'm not able to update for the next several weeks. This chapter was a bit more difficult to write despite the length, and I think I'm suffering from writer's block... Nevertheless, thank you for reading, and don't forget to let me know how the story is so far! ^^

~~

Hwayoung’s hand comes over to suppress the broken gasp that splutters from her lips. Baekhyun’s fist pummels into Sehun’s cheek, a soft crack resonating and the younger male staggering before regaining his quiet composure. Hwayoung tries to step forward, but Jongin’s gaunt fingers wrap around her wrist to tug her back.

“Not now, princess,” Jongin says as he shakes his head. “This isn’t the right time for you to intrude.”

Hwayoung’s lips part to protest, but Jongin presses a finger to his lips as he tugs Hwayoung away from the door. Though she can’t see the male, her mind paints every crease in his forehead and every angry flame flickering in his eyes as she hears his strained yelling.

“You had one job, Oh Sehun,” Baekhyun shouts. “You just had to capture him and bring him back. You never fail missions. What the hell has gotten into you?”

Sehun remains quiet, eyes hovering over the floor in thought as Baekhyun lets out a terse sigh.

“Why the did you let him go?” Baekhyun asks menacingly.

“He wasn't who I thought he was,” Sehun mumbles. “I thought he wasn't the one.”

“Jongdae gave you a clear description and even had the exact location pinpointed for you,” Baekhyun barks. “There was no doubt he was the one and you let him get away.”

Sehun’s head tilts down as he feels a slight throbbing in his cheek.

This is probably the first time he’s gotten punished by the boss.

Baekhyun draws in a sharp breath before sliding into the coat hanging on his chair and brushing past Sehun, grumbling, “If you want something done, you have to do it yourself.”

The male steps out of his office, speaking to who Hwayoung thinks is Jongdae over the phone, before disappearing. The small crowd dispels, and Hwayoung watches as Sehun remains in the same spot, his feet cemented to the cold floor of Baekhyun’s office.

“Hey,” Hwayoung calls, and the male lifts his head ever so slightly, just enough to catch sight of the young girl. “Come on, I’ll get some ice for your cheek.”

Sehun quietly follows the girl into Jongin and Chanyeol’s office, now empty.

~~

“Thanks, princess,” Sehun mumbles as Hwayoung hands him a pack of ice, which he presses on the pink and light purple blossoming over his pale skin. He quickly notices the concern knotting her eyebrows together and assures, “Don’t worry, this doesn’t happen all the time. Baekhyun only does that if we up pretty badly, which I did. You don't know how many times he’s beaten Chanyeol's .”

Hwayoung wonders, just what could Sehun have done that made Baekhyun that pissed?

She knows he would never hit any one of his men for no reason.

“I was supposed to catch this guy and bring him back,” Sehun murmurs. “He’s been intercepting messages sent between members of Exo Credit Union and was selling information to some unidentified person. And Baekhyun is probably pissed that the guy gave away classified info.”

Just as Jongdae is probably the best tracker in the group, Sehun is probably the most skilled abductor.

And this is the first time Hwayoung is hearing that he failed a mission.

“Why did you let the man go?” Hwayoung asks.

“I thought I saw him before,” Sehun mumbles. “I thought it couldn't possibly be him, but before I could do anything, he got away.”

“He's someone you’ve met?”

“I don't know him personally,” Sehun drawls. “But I thought you-”

Hwayoung looks to the male with baffled eyes when he suddenly interrupts himself by biting down on his bottom lip.

“Never mind, maybe I was just mistaken.”

Though Sehun is often lost in conversations and seems much too relaxed when carrying out orders, Hwayoung knows that the male is never simply mistaken.

~~

Hwayoung tries to keep her eyelids from falling shut as her eyes scan over the small black words dancing across the page of her book. Even the whirring of coffee machines and the sharp scent of her latte doesn't suffice, but she snaps out of her lull when a hand is gently placed on her shoulder and a male slides into the seat across from her.

“Sorry I was late, princess,” Kyungsoo sighs. “A professor wanted to talk with me.”

Hwayoung realizes something is different about the male today, and her gaze traces his unusual look. The formal coat and dark clothes are shed for khaki pants and a button-down. His hair hangs down instead of styled to the side, and he looks much more like a college student on a date than a son to one of the most powerful and fearful families in the country.

“I look weird in this, don't I?” Kyungsoo grumbles when he notices her lingering gaze. “My aunt and my younger cousin who’s in high school are staying over at my dad’s. Since she’s young and not working, she doesn't have to wear formal wear and dark clothes. I went home to greet my aunt, and my cousin complained about the way I dress.”

Hwayoung can't help but laugh.

“She wouldn't let me leave until I wore the outfit she chose for me,” Kyungsoo grumbles. “I look ridiculous.”

But Hwayoung finds it charming, the casual aura he exudes despite his dark gaze. And the words slip past her lips even before she thinks.

“I think you look good.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen as he picks at the dust on the shirt.

“You think this looks good?”

“You actually look like a college student,” Hwayoung smiles. “It looks like something a guy would wear on a first date or something.”

And it's in that moment that Hwayoung realizes, anyone passing by would simply see them as two university students on a date in a serene cafe, cheeks flushed as they avoid their gazes.

Kyungsoo’s cheeks become red with fluster, as he grumbles, “I’m changing the moment I get back to my apartment.”

Hwayoung avoids the awkward topic of dates and couples and proceeds to ask him about his day.

An hour passes as Hwayoung reads while listening to Kyungsoo’s low humming and occasionally asking about his life. It's before they leave that he asks, “I ran out of food at my apartment. Is it alright if we stop by the mart?”

And Hwayoung ends up following Kyungsoo to a nearby mart through aisles of bottled drinks and canned delicacies, eyes especially hovering near the snacks. She holds a basket with only a few items, watching as Kyungsoo looks at the expiration date of the canned peaches.

“You can afford better food than that,” Hwayoung remarks.

“I’m lazy and I don't have time,” Kyungsoo answers bluntly.

Hwayoung rolls her eyes as Kyungsoo places the cans in the basket before leading her to a cashier. Hwayoung begins taking out the various items, but Kyungsoo quickly swipes the basket handle from between her fingers as he says, “Just wait over there, I can do this.”

“It’s not heavy or anything.”

“Still, I don’t want you doing it,” Kyungsoo says.

When Hwayoung refuses to budge, he shoots her a menacing glare, the same glare that has students avoiding him and murmuring about how cold and rude he is, just like the rest of the Do family. But Hwayoung knows, Kyungsoo is a considerate person, and he shows it even now by taking the somewhat weighty basket from her hands and masking it as coldness.

The old man behind the cashier adjusts his glasses, before chuckling, “Your boyfriend is quite

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter