Chapter 2

Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Word Count: 3,788

Note: These chapters are coming out a lot longer than I meant for them to be. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy reading since the story isn't fully in action but will be soon!

~~

Byun Baekhyun.

Just a slight utter of the name would have many on their knees, pleading for mercy as images of menacing eyes and an unfaltering countenance come to mind.

For all twenty-five years of his life, Baekhyun has always been known for his unwavering persistence despite the difficult circumstances. He's not sure exactly how he became the boss of what he calls “an organization engaged in hardly illicit activities,” or what others may refer to as the mafia or a group of mobsters. But Baekhyun suspects it’s due to his dark, lonely background and his desperation to make money as a young adult.

Baekhyun has been an orphan for as long as he can remember.

He had been brought to an orphanage only months after he was born, and no one had ever mentioned anything about his parents. The only thing he's been told is that his father passed away when he was born and no one knows anything about his mother.

He had always been a rather brusque and troublesome kid, there probably wasn't a day that went by without the other male students getting on his nerves, resulting with a few punches being thrown around. It had been one day in particular that another student made a rather hurtful comment that Baekhyun had decided not to care anymore. It ended with the boy holding a bruised jaw and the beginning of Baekhyun’s cold, heartless demeanor.

And it was his cold demeanor that urged him to run away from his past life and build something of his own, his corporation.

Baekhyun does depend on his men and accredits his success to their loyalty. However, his relationships with others are strictly established from business matters. There's perhaps only one person who Baekhyun has a bond with, something beyond friends but not exactly family. Other than that, Baekhyun claims he is heartless, his affection spared for no one.

Baekhyun has never let anyone break into the steel walls looming around his heart and show him affection or love.

And he intends to keep it that way.

~~

“We gave you nine months to pay off this debt,” Baekhyun says rather calmly. Two men are fallen on their knees before him, shivering as venom drips from between Baekhyun’s clenched teeth. “How much more time are you going to need?”

“Two months,” the older man begs, hands woven together. “We’ll pay it off in two months.”

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun calls, and the other male nods in understanding. The two men shriek as Chanyeol swings a leg into the wall of the small store, wood chips splintering and dust whirling around the compact room.

“One month,” the older man begs. “We’ll give it to you in a month, just please don't destroy our store.”

“I'm not a lenient man,” Baekhyun says, expression unfaltering and voice void of any sympathy. “Two weeks. Get the money to me in two weeks. This is your last chance.”

The two men exhale sharply as Baekhyun turns around, but apprehension has them trembling in fear when Baekhyun doesn't leave but pulls on a black glove around his right hand.

“What’s going on?” the younger male demands, presumably the older male’s son.

“I told you, I’m not a lenient man,” Baekhyun says. “I’m not letting you go without some consequences.”

Baekhyun grabs the younger male by the collar with his left arm, his right arm pulled back. The male squeezes his eyes shut, expecting to feel a blow, until a voice hisses, “Boss.”

Baekhyun’s head whips back to see Jongin leaning against the doorway.

“It's four,” Jongin speaks between the scrolls of cigarette smoke slipping from between his lips. “You have an appointment in twenty minutes.”

“,” Baekhyun sighs, “I forgot about that.”

He runs a hand through his hair, walking towards the door.

“Chanyeol, Jongin, finish up what we started here,” Baekhyun sighs. “Show them what happens when they don't keep their promises.”

Dark smiles crawl up the faces of Baekhyun’s men, as they exchange playful glances.

Baekhyun leaves the store, the sound of grunts and punches being thrown echoing behind him. He slips quickly into a black car, pulling a cigarette from his coat pocket.

“Drive,” he orders Yixing.

~~

When the two cars arrive at the mansion, Baekhyun has to restrain himself from running inside. He's actually looking forward to this meeting, especially since he hasn't seen the other person in a while.

A butler lets him in when he knocks, and he almost throws open the doors to the office on the second floor. A playful, boyish smirk usual among teenagers is splayed on his dashing face, as he says, “You called me, old man?”

Sitting before him at a cluttered desk is Oh Moontaek, the head of Oh Corporations and perhaps the only person who Baekhyun considers anything near family.

“Baekhyun,” the old man smiles, but Baekhyun notices the smile is more of courtesy than of authenticity. “That look suits you.”

From a distance, the male would seem to be simply a black streak. But the older male is raking his eyes over Baekhyun’s figure. He’s garbed in a dark, seemingly expensive coat, designer pants, and polished shoes.

A stark contrast to the young boy in tattered clothes he had met on the streets.

“Thanks, old man,” Baekhyun says, “but I don't think that's the only thing you have to say to me.”

The so-called “old man” heaves a sigh, before murmuring, “I have a favor to ask of you, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun nods, urging for the man to continue.

“Things haven’t been going well,” the older male sighs. “There’s been rumors going around about me being involved with companies engaging in illicit activities. Not to mention, I’m very sure there are people who are targeting me and my company.”

There’s a brief pause, and Baekhyun blurts, “I don't think my help will benefit you. If they find out your relationship to me, you’ll certainly lose the company.”

Oh Moontaek had discovered Baekhyun on the streets almost ten years ago, when Baekhyun was a teengaer roaming the streets for money and Oh Moontaek had been desperately trying to start up his own business. Baekhyun had been deposited on the streets after his pathetic performance in a fight with some street gangs, the young male shivering with his tattered clothes and bleeding limbs. Despite his own lack of work, Oh Moontaek had given Baekhyun a warm meal and a large sum of money to go make something of himself.

It’s thanks to the older male that Baekhyun is where he is now.

“Not that kind of help,” Oh Moontaek smiles. “It's more personal than that.”

Baekhyun’s lips part to say something, but the older male beats him to it.

“I need you to protect my daughter.”

“You need me to what?”

To be engaged in the activities that Baekhyun specializes in requires an unwavering stance and the ability to not show others surprise or weakness.

But even Baekhyun can't help but feel insecure and utterly shocked at the request.

“My daughter, she’s turning nineteen very soon, and she’s a second-year university student. She’s the only thing I have left of my family, and the only person I trust her with is you.”

“Why me?” Baekhyun asks, his voice almost a whisper.

It’s not that he doesn’t want to, it’s just that having the owner of one of the most successful businesses in the country entrusting a mafia leader with his young daughter- the heir to the company- doesn’t seem like a brilliant idea.

“Aren’t I the last person you would trust your daughter with?” Baekhyun frantically blurts. “There are other successful people who could ensure your daughter’s safety.”

“First of all, Baekhyun, you told me you were indebted to me and would do anything to make it up,” the older male says sternly. “This is the one thing I have to ask of you, and I will be forever grateful to you. Not to mention, I can’t trust others with my daughter. Chairmen of large corporations may willingly accept to protect her, but I know they have ulterior motives, whether it’s to marry their sons to her or somehow obtain a share of our wealth. Also, I know you will commit yourself and do your best, just as you always do. I’ve always trusted you more than anyone.”

Baekhyun’s eyes soften in understanding. “Where are you going to be?”

The old man heaves a sigh, and it's only then that Baekhyun realizes how much he's aged.

“It may seem like I’m running away from all my troubles, but I’m not,” the older male assures. “I’m going to find out who is targeting our company and why. I may even have to leave the country if necessary. Unfortunately, I can’t disclose my location to anybody.”

Baekhyun’s voice falters and his shoulders slump, as if it’s his own father who is suddenly disappearing.

“I don’t want my daughter to be caught up in any of this,” Oh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter