Fifteen

#07 | Taeny

PART 15

I walked into class late that morning. As I slid open the door, the professor paused his talking and turned all his attention towards me. And of course, so did the whole class. My face twisted in embarrassment as I bowed and apologized to him. It wasn’t my fault I just happen to have a bad stomachache this morning.

“I hope there won’t be next time Ms. Tiffany.” I stayed silent and looked up to only meet eyes with Taehyung, who was sitting in the front row. His eyes flicked away in an instant.

I made way to my seat and the class resumed smoothly. It’s been a few days since the talk I had with Taeyeon on my front porch. And to be frank, that talk bothered me a lot. A whole lot. I wanted to talk to Taehyung. I longed to just pull him into a silent corner and explain that it wasn’t Taeyeon’s fault. I was desperate to let him know how terrible he had hurt his older sister with whatever words he had screamed into her face. Why exactly was it supposed to be Taeyeon’s fault anyways? I hated thinking about that matter because I always end up either pissed or frustrated. Taeyeon was still very wounded and based on her grieving eyes; I could tell they haven’t settled everything out yet.

I never wanted to intervene initially since I thought this was an issue that was better being solved by the two of them privately. However, it seemed like no one was taking action and it hurt me to see Taeyeon sad. Of course she doesn’t show it directly but her eyes were overflowing with stress. And to think all of this was because of me, well it doesn’t help to alleviate anything. If anything, it aggravates the guilt that was weighing me down even more.

For the rest of the 50 minutes lecture, I stared into Taehyung’s back, my head organizing the words that I will say to him after this period end. And finally, we were dismissed and my eyes caught him throwing his bag over his shoulder before heading for the door faster than anybody else. He was avoiding me. That was certain.

I gathered all my things off the desk and ran for the exit hoping to catch up to him.

My eyes squinted, moving around from faces to faces but I couldn’t spot his.

“Seriously this guy…”

“Yo.” I twirled around to see Jessica chewing on a gum with a curious face.

“Who you looking for?” She questioned as she looked over my shoulder.

“Taehyung. I just have something to talk to him that’s all.” I eyed her face and raised an eyebrow. “We have our next class together right?”

“Yes. Is something bothering you? You know you haven’t been focusing a lot these few days.”

Was I that obvious? I didn’t know but I was still not sure if I should tell Jessica. It was Taeyeon’s business, not mine.

“I just haven’t been sleeping well lately. Insomnia kicking in again…” I scrunched my face. That was true anyways.  Jessica’s lazy eyes stared at mine as she remained quiet. She was inspecting my face and I know that she knows I was hiding something but knowing her, she wouldn’t pry. She could come off as rude and rebellious but deep down, she was aware of the line.

“Okay I guess. We still have one hour before math class starts. Let’s find something to eat. I’m hungry.” She stated and began to walk off, with me trailing behind.

 

-

 

“How are you and Taeyeon? I’m surprised you don’t talk about her much lately. I mean before, I would have to tell you to shut up.” Jessica said munching on a tuna sandwich.

I gazed at the football field ahead and leaned onto the bench.

“It’s just a lot has been on my mind lately. We’re fine. We’re great. A day before yesterday, after art class, we went to that new burger place around the corner. It was so good Jess. And she looked so adorable eating a burger that was too big for . Oh and when a burp accidently left her lips. Gosh you should’ve seen her embarrassed expression. I never thought a burp could be so cute until I saw hers.” I realized I had become from dead to very radiant and animated. I looked over to Jessica who now had a smirk plastered on her lips.

“What?”

“Nothing. It just makes me want to have someone too whenever I see the way you act when you talk about her. Your eyes would sparkle and your voice would get louder. And do you notice the way you would smile when you talk about her? Girl, it creeps me out.” A chuckle escaped Jessica and I turned pink. It was out of my control. But whenever I get to talk about her, I tend to get overly excited and my mouth runs on like a broken tap.

“I’m just joking. I’m so happy to see you like this actually.” She showed me a small smile and took another bite from her sandwich.

“And that little diary though.” Jessica cracked up. “When will you show it to her?”

“Gosh I don’t know! I’m still considering. I mean oh my gosh Jess.” I imagined Taeyeon reading those dumb entries I’ve written in that book and my insides churned. I didn’t like that thought. There were just too many embarrassing things in there.

“I think she deserves to see it. You know, and find out she has a younger girl fangirling hardcore over her. Imagine her freaking out over those things you wrote. You even have pictures of her glued on it right?”

I hit Jessica lightly. Maybe I’ll show it to her later. When I’m ready. I’m actually partially curious to see what her reaction would be like.

“Alright alright but anyways, have you guys like make any progresses yet? It’s been awhile since you guys have dated.”

At the mention of moving progressing, the tip of my ears turned red as various images flashed inside my head. I couldn’t believe myself for imagining such rated scenes in the middle of the day like this.

“W-what? Progress what. I don’t know.” I stuttered and tried to change topics. I can’t imagine myself doing anything y with Taeyeon. It was too much for me to handle. I could feel my stomach flip as I thought about running my hands along her bare stomach or back…oh my gosh.

“You’re red. What were you thinking? By progress I meant things like kissing! Not !”

“YAH be quiet!” I threw a palm over and looked around to see if anyone heard what Jessica had just blurted out.

“Don’t say that word!” I hissed into her face and retracted my palm.

“!” Jessica yelled as soon as I took my hand away and I freaked out. Pictures of Taeyeon wearing a white bra swam through my mind. Another picture of her flashed through my mind, this time without a bra. By that time, I was dark crimson and Jessica was using me for her own entertainment purposes.

“Jessica oh my gosh I hate you!” I punched her many times as I hid my face under my hands. I literally felt heat in my ears and my cheeks as more scenarios flooded into my mind, each one getting more inappropriate than the last.

Jessica’s high pitched laugh filled the air as she struggled to breathe.

“Hey! Stop laughing!” I wailed as I tried to control the amount of blood rushing into my face. Heck like I can even control it.

“You were SO imagining things right now weren’t you?” Jessica managed to say between laughs and I shook my head.

“NO I was NOT!”

“Yes you were! Why else would your face be like a tomato right now?”

I couldn’t think of a strong argument so I just groaned and pushed her.

“Were you like thinking how her ic expressions would-“ I didn’t stay long enough to hear the rest of her sentence. I set off for the school’s building as fast as I can, not wanting to hear the rest of that sentence.

“Curse you Jessica!” I muttered under my breath.

“Stop thinking!” I scolded myself but another set of Taeyeon’s faces zapped across my head making myself even more bothered. A state of panic conquered my brain and I fanned myself to cool down. We didn’t share our first kiss yet and I’m already producing dirty scenes inside my head. Way to go Tiffany. I was never a ert. Really. I was sensible and I don’t watch but Jessica’s words triggered something inside me.

I checked the time and realized I still had about 20 more minutes until my next class starts.

I wanted to pee so I made way for the bathroom but along the way, I spotted Taehyung standing with his friends. I eyed him for a minute before I made up my mind and approached his way. My bladder can wait. His friends saw me and elbowed Taehyung. As soon as our eyes clashed, his face that was smiling a few seconds ago turned stoic and his jaws clenched.

“Is it alright if I talk to you for a few minutes?” Last week, I thought things were back on track between us and that everything would be normal but judged on his face at the moment, it’s like he’d rather eat hard rock than talk to me.

He said nothing and soon, his friends dispersed leaving the two of us alone.

His onyx eyes looked intently into the distance and I heaved out a sigh. How should I start?

“Taehyung. About Taeyeon, I know what happened between you guys and-“ I paused trying to find the right words but I couldn’t.

“Taehyung it’s not her fault. I don’t know what words were thrown between you guys but Taeyeon was badly hurt. I talked to her that night and she feels terrible. She thinks it’s her fault when it’s not.” I stopped and inspected his face that wasn’t showing anything.

After a long silence, he finally spoke.

“If it isn’t her fault then whose fault is it?” The moment he said that, I was shocked and lost for words. Does he not have any sense of responsibility in him? How can he ask that?

“Why is it her fault? Why exactly do you think it’s her fault?” I was really trying to sound calm. I really was.

“I told her I liked you and I wanted to court you and she helped! She was giving me advices and all that and encouraging me. And guess what? When she saw you, she just took you like that? Did she not put my feelings into consideration? And she didn’t even tell me she liked you. She just told me when you guys already WERE DATING!!” He shouted his last words and to be honest, I was actually quite intimidated by his loud voice.

“I SAW YOU FIRST.” He said and pulled his hair. This guy had no chills. Seriously.

“You saw me first. That is true. But so what? What’s the point of seeing me first Taehyung? What am I? An item on sale?” I asked him and realized my voice was shaking. I didn’t want to say things that were too blunt into his face but he needed to hear it.

“I understand that you are hurt. Because if I was in your place, I would be in pain too. But this is love Taehyung. We can’t control who we choose to love. Taeyeon never planned meant for things to turn out like this.”

“But why can’t she tell me first that she likes you too?” His face was no longer stoic but frantic. Frantic for explanations, for answers.

“I don’t know but I know that she regrets not doing that. She’s feeling very hurt and basically, devastated.”

“Why do I care if she’s hurt when she doesn’t care about me?”

I didn’t know how to answer that. I was once again lost for words at the things he was saying. I wanted to slap him for saying that but it’s because maybe he’s too mad right now to think before speaking. I hope that’s the case.

“How could- Why would you think like that?”

“She knows very well I like you and if it’s someone else, I don’t mind but this is her. My own sister having you. She’s not dumb. She knows that taking you would hurt me greatly but she did it anyways! If she is able to stand taking my things and watching me hurt, then why can’t I?”

“Then if you were in her place, what would you do Taehyung?” I asked, challenging him. I didn’t like it how he was classifying me as his ‘things’. I am not a ing item.

“I would rather keep my feelings to myself and get hurt alone.” He said firmly, his hands tightened into fists.

“You’d rather get hurt?” My mind reeled. I didn’t know if what I was going to say will be too much but I guess it doesn’t matter.

“If I don’t get you, it’s better if none of us get you.”

I don’t think this guy knows what he was saying anymore. It didn’t even make sense.

I took a deep breath and organized my words carefully before saying them out.

“Taehyung. I like your sister. Whereas with you, I don’t feel the same. Would you rather let your sister get hurt by not letting us be together, therefore hurting me as well? Aren’t you being a little too selfish here? I confessed to her ok? I indirectly told her I wanted her. And when she said she liked me too, it was the best thing that ever happened. There’s nothing better than two people mutually liking each other. We found our happy place. Do you think she is still at fault?”

I wanted to shout into his face saying I DON’T LIKE YOU.  I LIKE YOUR SISTER K? But that was way too harsh.

I watched his face and I am aware that I was very late for my math class and that Jessica was probably wondering where I am. His fists tightened even harder until they shook and his jaws clenched and unclenched. His cheeks were red and I could tell her was extremely mad. He had to hear ‘em. I tried to be nice. I really genuinely tried to be nice.

“Whatever. The both of you, the both of you are just trying to hurt me. You like seeing me hurt huh? You like her so of course you’re going to be on her side. Did she coax you to come talk to me? HUH? Was she behind all-“

Before he could say all those bulls out, my hand had a life of its own. I slapped his face hard and the people in our surrounding stopped to watch the scene. I didn’t care.

Taehyung’s eyes were wide and it looked as if that was the first time ever in his life someone hurt him physically. At least it did knock some sense into him, I truly hope.

“Taehyung. Please.” My voice was deadly up to the point that I was also surprised. “Please think before you speak.”

I didn’t know what else to say so I walked off, leaving him speechless on the spot. I don’t know if this talk did any good to the problem at all. It was much harder than I thought. I wasn’t expecting all those stupid words that he said and I wasn’t also expecting myself to lose my cool that easily. My blood was boiling at those impudent words he uttered. Did he not have respect for Taeyeon? At least she was almost a decade older than him.

I counted from one to ten to calm down and approached my class. I hope I won’t attract too much attention for being late.

 

-

 

That talk, which escalated to a quarrel, between me and Taehyung lingered in my mind throughout the entire day. I thought about the words I said, the words he said and reviewed my actions. It was a hard situation to handle and I think I might really grow grey hair soon.

“Hey.” A soft voice greeted and I looked up from my folded hands in my lap. Onyx eyes kindly smiled at me and my heart warmed.

“You’re done with the meeting?” I asked her and watched her lips pull up into a smile. Seeing her makes the stress go away. Seeing her makes me happy.

“Yes. And you got out of class-“ She looked at her watch. “Five minutes early.” She finished off and I nodded.

“I talked to Taehyung this morning.” I blurted out and her smile dropped a little as her eyebrows quirk up.

“Oh?”

She sat down on the chair next to me.

“I just had to. It didn’t look like you guys were going to patch things up anytime soon.” I explained.

“Hm I’m sorry for making you get into this matter Tiffany. So, what did he say?”

My eyes skimmed her hands and I debated whether I should tell her or not.

“I don’t really want to get into it. He’s pretty stubborn.” I said and noticed her chuckling.

“Taehyung is probably the most stubborn person you’ll ever meet.” Her voice was grim and I felt bad for bringing this up and darkening the atmosphere. She hasn’t been happy lately and I wanted to make a change.

“Taeyeon-ah.”

“Hm?”

“I want to go to an arcade.” I said and she turned her head, surprised at my words.

“Right now?”

“Why? Are you busy?” I frowned and she immediately shook her head.

“No. It’s just weird. You know, out of a sudden. But well, okay. You’re weird.” She laughed and got up, beckoning me to come.

“But you love me.” I daringly said and was surprised when she answered in a heartbeat.

“Yes I do.”

 

-

 

“I seriously don’t remember the last time I came to an arcade.” She said through the loud voices of people and I laughed.

“I used to come here every weekend when I was in high school.” I said as I held a basket of coins in my hands.

There were so many games to play and slowly, I could feel my childish side come out. It’s been quite long since I’ve came here and well, this brings back memories.

“What do you want to start with?” I excitedly asked and she looked around, her eyebrows furrowing.

“Erm…how about that one?” She pointed to an empty game machine and I pulled her to it with much enthusiasm.

“Here.” I shoved the gun into her arms and watched her lost face. I shoved coins into the hole and pressed start.

“Yah how do you play this- AH!” She screamed when a zombie came up into the screen. I giggled and shot it.

“Just shoot them!” I instructed and she followed, shooting each one that appeared on the screen. I did the same and soon, we were immersed in the game.

“Oh! Over there!” She yelled.

“Oh my gosh there’s so many!” I screamed when I got hit and I could hear Taeyeon’s laughter beside me. She was actually a very good player.

“Don’t laugh! HAHA see? You died too!” I said and she ruffled my hair.

“Be quiet!” She said and scrunched her nose up. GAME OVER flashed onto the screen and we walked away from it.

“What next?” She asked and I was pretty content that she was having fun and finally loosening up.

“Let’s go race cars.”  I suggested and we took our own seats. I peered at her and grinned. Feeling pretty hyper, I got my hand out and did a thumb down sign to her. Her eyes got wide and she shook her head in disbelief.

“You kid! Watch me beat you in this race!”

I poked my tongue out at her and began the race. I had a head start because she was still not familiar with the buttons.

“YAH! How does this work?” She screeched and pressed random buttons. I cackled as I watched how my pink sport car zoomed through driveways.

“Hey! No fair!” She said and finally, she got her car moving. She kept repeating how it wasn’t fair and I kept on laughing how she was very new to the arcade.

“I’m on my final lap!” I announced triumphantly but wasn’t expecting it when she leaned over and tickled me. My body wiggled as I struggled to keep a firm grip on the steering wheel.

“You’re cheating!” I said between laughter. “Stop! Gosh! Hey! I’m going to kill you!” I gasped when I saw her black car zoomed past me while I hit a concrete wall.

“YES!” She raised up both hands in victory when she passed the finish line, holding first place. She threw her head back and laughed while I got out of my seat and dashed for her. My hands moved, poking and jabbing her waist but she just continued laughing, not giving any reaction.

“Stop trying! I’m not ticklish!” She said and I quickly did a funny dance when she went for my waist.

“Oh my gosh Taeyeon!” I got out of her grip and ran off with her walking behind, still smiling.

I never knew she could play as much as this and well, it just catches me off guard. It just makes me love her even more. This woman surprises me every single time.

“Don’t come close!” I warned as she stopped a few feet away from me, a devilish grin on her face. She took a step forward and I held out my hands.

“Don’t! Or else I won’t be responsible for any injuries!” I said and she chuckled, her hands on her stomach as she threw her head back.

“I won’t do anything. I promise. You’re so cute.” She came to me and pinched my nose lightly. My cheeks lightly blushed at her compliment but it looked like she didn’t notice how she had made my heart skip a beat.

“Is there a photo booth here?” She looked around and I pointed to one.

“There! You want to take pictures?” I once again dragged her there and she followed. I went in and squinted at the bright light.

“Erm so what do you want?” I stared at the screen and she came to my side. She pressed the screen and I agreed with her selection. 

We took a step back and stared at our reflection.

The numbers on the screen counted down and the cameras started flashing again and again. I did numerous poses and with the short intervals between the flashes, I couldn’t contemplate about my decisions.

For the third picture, I thought I wanted to step up my game and surprise Taeyeon by pecking her cheek. I thought it would be sweet.

So I just did it and when I turned my head, who knew she was thinking the same thing as me.

CLICK

My eyes widened as I took in her equally surprised expression. Did she just- did we just kiss? My lips burned as I held a hand to cup my mouth. OMG.

CLICK

Another shot was taken, but I didn’t care anymore. All I cared was that soft wet peck I felt earlier against my lips. Who would’ve thought our first kiss would be like this? My heart was threatening to break through my ribcage.

“W-what.” We started at the same time and my cheeks reddened even more. Even hers was a light shade of pink. 

“Y-you-“ We started in unison and stopped.

“W-we-“ We again for the third time spoke at the same time and finally, her face broke into a grin and she laughed. I laughed along with her although my insides were flying.

“Did that just happen?” She asked and I mentally gasped when she her lips, probably tasting my lip gloss.

“I-I think it did…” I wanted to hide my burning face. I really did want to run away from the booth.

“Sorry. I didn’t know you were planning on doing the same thing.” She scratched her nape and I wanted to scream. THIS WAS TOO UNREAL.

“NO! Don’t be sorry! Er…um…lets go check the pictures.” I said quickly and got out. We checked the pictures and I held my breath as I stared at that picture when our lips were connected. Very nice timing. It really did happen. Staring at that picture, it was still very hard to take in.

“Why do you keep staring at that picture?” She asked and I heated up.

“E-er I-I…I er…”

“Don’t worry. I like it too.” She finished off my sentence and flashed me a one-million dollar smile.

“Let’s put hearts on our pictures!” She said and reached for the pen. I nodded, my face still flushed.

It was so comical how the picture after that kiss showed both our surprised faces. This was gold.  I eyed her and she looked so calm, not really showing any reaction regarding to what happened just now. I wish I was as collected as her.

“There! You look adorable!” She exclaimed as she drew blue whiskers on my face. I did the same to her face and giggled.

“Matching whiskers!” I said and I stopped breathing when I sense her lips on my cheek.

“You’re so adorable.” She whispered and pulled my cheeks. Was she trying to kill my heart? Because I swear I can have a heart attack any time soon. There’s just too many kisses for me to handle today.

“I-I…” I turned into another stumbling blushing mess again and of course, she enjoyed that scene very much.

 

-

 

Taeyeon’s car slowed to a stop in front of my house and she walked me up to the door. From the outside, I could see the living room lights still on and I wondered why my mom was up so late. She must’ve been caught up in one of those drama series again.

“Thank you. I had a great time tonight.” Taeyeon smiled, her chin dimple showing.

“Thank you too. I had a wonderful time as well.” I answered and returned her smile.

“I hope you’ll keep those photos well.”

I blushed at her statement and my eyes casted to the ground. I shyly nodded.

“Well, good night.” I hated to leave her side because I know as soon as I get up to my room; I’ll only miss her like how I miss her every single night.

“Yes. Have a good night as well.” She turned around to leave but I walked up to wrap my arms around her body, pressing my cheek against her shoulder. I loved her smell.

“I love you.” I confessed, my skin prickling at the cool breeze.

She turned around and pulled me into her chest, her hands squeezing my shoulders. I actually love her so much, it’s getting quite scary and uncontrollable.

“And I love you too.” She hugged me tighter and released me. She leaned in to kiss my lips and before it processed through my mind, she had already pulled away, leaving my lips damp and on fire.

She got back into her car and I waved at her before opening the door with a pounding heart and rushing blood.

“Mom I’m-“ I stopped at my track when I saw her standing in front of the door, her eyebrows cocking up.

“Home.” I finished off. Why is she standing there? Could she have seen everything?

“Er…why are you looking at me like that?”

“Who was that?”

“…”

 

-