One

Doggy Wash

Kim Junmyeon wanted nothing more than to stand up and leave the café he was currently sitting in, as he stared in disbelief at his best-friend Byun Baekhyun.

“Sorry,” the former replied, “say that again. I don’t think I heard you right.” Still attempting to take in what the other had asked him.

“I said,” repeated the blonde-haired male - more slowly this time, “I need you to take Mocha to the groomer’s tomorrow.”

Baekhyun looked at Junmyeon expectantly as he waited for the other to form a response.

“Wha-,” he started, “wai-,” he tried again, still not able to construct a proper sentence.

 “You can’t be serious?!” Junmyeon finally finished – voice reaching a high screech at the end.

The shorter male looked at him guiltily, a silent apology in his eyes.

“I know and I’m sorry,” Baekhyun pleaded, “but it’ll only be this one time. I promise!”

He then proceeded to give Junmyeon the largest pair of puppy-dog eyes he could muster, knowing full well it was the latter’s Achilles heel - ironically enough.

Junmyeon ran his fingers through his dark-chestnut coloured hair and sighed.

“You know I don’t like dogs.”

Baekhyun frantically continued on, desperately trying to persuade the other.

“Please Junmyeon! I’m begging you!” the blonde grabbed for Junmyeon’s hand.

“It’s Chanyeol and I’s anniversary tomorrow so he wants to take me out for the day.”

Junmyeon fidgeted a bit and this and Baekhyun pressed on, sensing that the other’s wall of determination was weakening.

“Junmyeon please! We won’t be back till late and I already booked the appointment – you’re the only one I could ask at such late notice.”

Shifting his gaze to meet the eyes of the desperate boy in front of him and coming face-to-face with the other’s puppy eyes, Junmyeon felt his resolve shatter.

“Fine…,” the dark-haired male muttered, clearly not happy with the outcome of their conversation.

At the other’s announcement, Baekhyun’s face lit up into a wide smile and he reached over to pull his friend into a hug.

“Thankyou!” he practically yelled into the other’s ear, “you’re the best, I knew I could count on you Junmyeonnie!”

Pushing him off and ears turning slightly red at the other’s nickname for him, Junmyeon grumbled an incoherent mess of words – the blonde male taking this as Junmyeon’s way of saying ‘you’re welcome’.

Standing up to leave, Baekhyun once again threw the elder male a grateful smile.

“I’ll leave the spare house keys under the doormat alright? Just make sure to take them with you and give them back to me when you see me next.”

Grunting in understanding, Junmyeon watched his friend leave and once gone he fell back in his chair, dread at the prospect of seeing his friend’s dog washing over him.

“God,” he thought to himself, “I’m going to regret this so much.” Letting out a deep sigh, he reached for his muffin – long forgotten, and picked at it.

“So god-damn much.”

~~~

Pushing the door open with a slight push, Junmyeon cautiously walked into Baekhyun’s house, ears alert and eyes darting from side to side. Entering the hallway, he was about to let down his guard when the distinctive sound of paws pounding against floorboards reached him.

Bracing himself for what he knew was about to come, he watched as a massive bundle of white fluff came bounding at him – jumping up at him and effectively stealing the breath out of his lungs. With a large ‘omph!’ Junmyeon fell to the ground, and the ball of fur stealing this opportunity, rushed to the male all over his face.

“Yah!” he yelled out – attempting to cover his face, “get off of me!”

Junmyeon scrambled back and hastily got up, attempting to back away from the very thing Baekhyun adored so much. Unfortunately for him though, ever since the male had been introduced to his friend’s pet dog, it had taken a special liking to him. Constantly knocking him over with his over-excitement and following him around everywhere whenever he visited Baekhyun – Mocha had spurred many trials and tribulations for Kim Junmyeon.

Eyeing the white dog with distrust, Junmyeon commanded him to “Sit!” – at which he immediately obeyed - before turning away to find the leash. Spotting it hanging on the usual hook, he quickly made a grab for it and faced Mocha again, making sure he hadn’t left his spot. As Junmyeon slowly began to reapproach him, his tail began wagging from side to side and his tongue lolled out, revealing a very ‘doggy’ smile.

Hands outstretched and a grimace on his face, Junmyeon reached around Mocha’s neck to connect the leash, praying that he would stay sitting and not decide that now was a good time to continue his session from earlier. With a satisfying ‘click’, Junmyeon released a sigh of relief as he succeeded in putting on Mocha’s lead.

“Now,” he sighed – energy already depleted no thanks to the happy dog sitting in front of him, “time to get the rest over with.”

That being said, Junmyeon reluctantly tightened his grip on the lead and started heading towards the front door – attempting to keep a wide distance between himself and the white ball of fluff beside him.

~~~

“Hi, I have an appointment for Mocha, owner Byun Baekhyun, for 1 o’clock.”

Junmyeon fiddled with his fingers as he waited for the receptionist called Jongdae – as stated by his nametag – typed something into the computer. The dark-haired man looked down at the creature by his feet that was currently sniffing around the counter, and sighed.

“I can’t believe I have to deal with this.” He internally groaned to himself.

“Alright, that’s fine. Just take a seat over there for now and Yixing will be with you in a minute.”

Junmyeon looked back up as Jongdae, the receptionist, finished speaking and kindly smiled at him, gesturing over to the apparent waiting room.

Giving him a quick ‘thankyou’, Junmyeon made his way over to a seat and gratefully sank down into one - shooting Mocha a warning glare to not think of this as an opportunity to come up onto his lap. Luckily though, the dog was too immersed in exploring the area than to gift Junmyeon with his love. After waiting a few minutes, Mocha’s ears perked up and Junmyeon heard a voice call out,

“Byun Baekhyun and Mocha?”

Turning his head to face the sound of the voice, Junmyeon was instantly taken-aback by its owner as before him, stood the most beautiful human being the other had ever laid eyes on.

The man’s hair was a raven-black, locks falling perfectly around his face and his skin a creamy white, almost serving to illuminate him in the high afternoons sunlight. Donned on his face was a pair of droopy, puppy-dog eyes and a delicate pair of lips curved into a soft smile. Star-struck Junmyeon could only stare as the man looked at him and called again.

“Byun Baekhyun?”

Shaking himself out of his daze, Junmyeon quickly stood to his feet and replied with a shaky, “Ye-, yes!” Before nervously making his way over with Mocha.

The raven-haired man smiled, revealing a pair of dimples, as the pair approached and he crouched down to give Mocha a good pat on the head and coos of “aren’t you just adorable.”

“More like you’re the adorable one,” Junmyeon adlibbed to himself before focusing in on the man who was coming to stand back up.

“Hi Byun Baekhyun-ssi, I’m Zhang Yixing,” started the man, “I’ll take Mocha in and you can come back in about an hour. It shouldn’t take too long because today’s only a wash and dry.”

Junmyeon found himself so mesmerised by the other’s voice that he didn’t realise the other had stopped speaking until the man called for his attention again.

“Uh, Baekhyun-ssi?”

Snapping out of his trance, Junmyeon quickly responded – embarrassment flooding his cheeks with red.

“Right, yes, sure, ok, I’ll do that,” the male stuttered out handing the leash for Yixing to take. The man dimpled at him again as he took the lead off him and Junmyeon felt himself die a little inside.

“Oh god,” he thought, “he’s so beautiful. He probably thinks I’m some kind of a stuttering idiot.”

Turning around, to head off with Mocha, it only hit Junmyeon then that the man still thought he was Baekhyun.

“Oh, wait, Yixing-ssi!” he frantically called out. Yixing turned to face him, confusion written on his expression.

“I’m not Baekhyun, he’s my friend so he asked me to bring his dog here today as a favour because it’s his and his boyfriend’s anniversary and they want to celebrate it together, so yeah...,” Junmyeon took in a gulp of air after he realised he’d been rambling, “I’m Junmyeon, Kim Junmyeon.”

Yixing gave him a bemused look and for the third time Junmyeon felt his heart hammer in his chest as the other threw him another dimpled smile.

“Alright then, Junmyeon-ssi,” he directed at the other, “I’ll see you in a bit.” And with that he turned around and disappeared with Mocha in tow.

Having witnessed the whole scene and of Junmyeon becoming a nervous wreck, Jongdae couldn’t help but let out a muffled laugh at the sight of said male, who was currently staring longily into the corridor. Composing himself, Jongdae leaned over his counter and called out to the besotted man,

“He’s single if that’s what you’re wondering.”

Startled, Junmyeon twisted around to see the grinning face of the receptionist.

“Yah tha-, that’s not what I was thinking!” he practically shouted, his face denying his words.

At the other’s lame attempt at an excuse, Jongdae was sent into another fit of giggle’s and Junmyeon briskly made his way out of the grooming centre, palms against his face in an attempt to cool down his face. 

~~~

Author's Note

Hi all,

Just want to say a big thankyou to all of you who have subscribed so far! I've decided to make this into a short fic (maybe a threeshot...? we'll see how we go) instead of the originally planned, oneshot. The next one will be up soon but please enjoy this for now and make sure to leave a comment below, subscribe and upvote. (:

~ shelly7