Chapter Five

The University
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Five-

 

Yoosun stood in the front of the classroom, nervously fiddling with her pearl necklace as she looked at the desks and the students. Unfortunately for her, she wasn’t early enough to class to choose any seat she wanted since most of the students had shown up and pretty much all the seats were filled except for those in the first row and a few in the back corner of the room next to the wall and away from the windows. Even more unfortunately for her, it seemed that everyone in the class already knew each other and had already formed obviously impenetrable clicks. Aren’t these people freshmen? How come they already know each other so well?

Figuring it was better than standing and gaping at the front of the classroom, she made her way to one of the seats in the back, not wanting to cause too much attention to herself by sitting in the front. The seat she chose was actually the corner seat with only the seat in front of her and the seat to her left. In front of her was a group of boys who were laughing and goofing off, none of them sitting in the seat and claiming it as theirs. To her left was a girl. She looked to be tall and lanky, her pale skin had that almost sickly look to it and her long and frizzy raven black hair covering her face from view as she looked down to the blank piece of paper she had on her desk. Besides the pencil that sat at the top of the desk and the piece of paper, the girl had nothing else with her, not even a backpack. Did I bring too much to class? Yoosun looked around the room, worrying that her backpack might’ve been overkill, but everyone had backpacks and if they didn’t then they at least had a notebook or two and a few pencils. She glanced back at the girl and her single piece of paper. Alright. Weird.

A few minutes past as Yoosun kept to herself, the chatter around her not easing her nerves at all. She kept fiddling with her necklace until the teacher walked in and she let out the breath she hadn’t noticed she’d been holding.

The teacher was an average height, middle aged man with brown hair gelled up slightly and a structured nose with the bridge resting right between his bright brown eyes. A slight bit of stubble was noticeable on his upper lip, which eased Yoosun’s nerves even more. He looks like a normal teacher, with his brown dress shirt and greenish gray khakis. The teacher walked straight for the desk, not looking up until he slammed his books down with such a loud thud that made everyone shiver freeze in spot, looking at him. Yoosun grimaced at the glare he gave as he glanced around the room. She unconsciously sank in her seat when his eyes came her way even though they didn’t directly look at her. As instantly as they had frozen, the students rushed to their seats, leaving the one right in front of Yoosun as the only empty one left in the room.

Once all the students were seated with their attention to the front of the class the teacher sighed. As soon as the sigh left his lips his demeanor shifted drastically and the glare and his frown was replaced by shinning eyes and a bright smile. “Alright you delinquents,” he said with the smile on his face not faltering even as he technically insulted them. “Welcome to you first day of college. Although this is not a normal college like those the humans have, you will receive a superior education that they do not have the privilege to. First things first, you will take a brief survey so that we can judge your personalities and help you pick your major. Your freshman year is strictly for you to finish basic requirements, and then your other three years are for you to actually focus on your major. Using this survey, we will give you a list of majors we think you will like, however you will also be provided with a full list of the majors we offer. You will also be given a full list and a narrowed down list of elective classes available. You will all meet back here during your elective period today to collect what I’ve just mentioned and to choose what you want. Have I made myself clear?” The class agreed and the teacher took out the surveys and handed them to the first person in each row to pass back. When he was done he put the extras on the desk and wrote his name on the board. Pointing to it he turned around and addressed the class again. “When I am in a good mood you can address me as Professor Yunho, when I am in a bad mood you are to only address me as Professor Jung. Now begin your surveys.”

Yoosun looked down to the survey that sat in front of her as she grabbed her pencil. What’s this? Only five questions? She bit her bottom lip as she scribbled her name on the top with her messy handwriting. Before she could even read the first question a few of the students had already walked up to the desk and turned their papers in. Shaking her head she read the first question.

What do you do in your free time?

I don’t know. Read? Browse the internet? She quickly jotted it down and moved onto the next one.

When you aren’t free, what are you normally doing?

What the hell type of question is this? I go to school obviously. Next!

What type of music do you like to listen to?

Kpop.

Who is the first famous person that pops into your mind?

Cha Hakyeon. Now for the last one.

Why did you just do this survey?

Yoosun had to push her nails into the palm of her hand to stop herself from screaming out in frustration. What the is this ?! Pressing her pencil down harder than she needed to she wrote ‘because you ing made me think I had to’ not even caring that she just swore to a teacher. He can go himself. I hate school.

Grumbling under her breath to herself she held herself back from slamming the paper down on the desk and glaring at Professor Jung. If there was one thing she hated, it was people wasting her time. As she returned to her desk the girl who sat next to her stood up. When they walked past each other they made eye contact, the girls big, round black eyes glaring holes into Yoosun as if they could see right through her. Yoosun felt the hairs on her arms raise as goosebumps formed. She took her seat and rubbed her arms to try and get rid of her chill to no avail since the girl stared at her again as she took her own seat and then just kept staring at her. Yoosun did everything to not look at the girl, going so far as to even chew on her pencil which was a bad habit of hers that she thought she had broken.

“Alright then,” Professor Jung said once he collected all of the papers. “Time for attendance. Ahn Sungyeol, Bak Jun, Cho Yoosun,” he called out and as he read her name she raised her hand and he noted her as present. Yoosun glanced over to the girl when she put her hand down to see the girl writing on her paper hurriedly as Professor Jung continued to call out names. “Do Kyungsoo.” Yoosun was startled by hearing the name. Anxiously she looked around for the demon, not having felt his presence in the room, and let out a relieved sigh as she found that he wasn’t there. “Absent. Han Taewoon,” Professor Jung continued down the list. “Im Soora,” he called and Yoosun realized the strange girl next to her raise her hand out of the corner of her eye before the teacher continued with rollcall.

Yoosun’s thoughts returned to Kyungsoo. I can’t believe he’s in my homeroom. Seriously, how much bad luck do I have? At least those other three I met yesterday aren’t in this class too. Wait. The only seat empty is the one in front of me. Kyungsoo will be sitting so close to me?!

That was when the bell rang and homeroom ended.

Although that didn’t really matter because all the students were still in the same room and Professor Jung was their next teacher. He didn’t bother to take attendance and jumped right into his history lesson instead. “Take out your textbooks and turn to page 21,” he announced as he picked up a piece of chalk and turned to face the chalkboard.

Yoosun paled. What textbook? She looked around the room to see everyone else taking out a thick textbook from their backpacks besides herself and Soora who just sat there staring at the professor’s back. I never got a ing textbook!

Professor Jung turned around and his eyes narrowed at Soora and Yoosun. “And just where are your books?”

“I left it in my room, under my bed, in a box that I got a new pair of winter boots in,” Soora said with so little emotion in her voice and a blank look on her face.

Yoosun bit her lip and started playing with her necklace when Professor Jung’s eyes landed on her. “I…um… never got any textbooks,” she mumbled out, avoiding looking at the professor by lowing her eyes.

She looked up just in time to see that Professor Jung had once again faced the chalkboard. “Meet me at the end of the day, both of you. Not a very promising start.”

Yoosun sat there with hanging open as a few of her classmates snickered. But I never got a book! It took all her will power not to shout out in defiance. Damn you Yifan!

Grumbling to herself throughout the whole class she found it hard to keep up with the pace Professor Jung was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter