Chapter 7, part 1

Horror School II: 8 schoolgirl secrets

The bell rings. Finally it's the end of the day. Finally it's time for Mimi to get out of school and kick some asses.

She tightens her shoe laces, ties her hair, hides her name badge, and gets ready to get out. Talking about secret passageways, there is nobody to beat Mimi. After a few months in this school, she has leanrt of different way to get in or out of school without being caught. There is a secret hole in the 8th booth of the girl's bathroom. There is an alley being the custodians' storage. There is a secret path from the library to the office. There are many ways to get from one point to another. Mimi can finish her business with somebody as the bell rings and still gets to class on time.

On Wednesday and Thursday afternoon, students usually stay late to catch up with missing work, go to tutorials, use the library, or arrange any upcoming events. They get in and out of the gate every seconds. Mimi blends herself in the flock of students going to the nearby convenient store. She has already arranged herself to meet someone. 

As she walks in, Mimi wanders around the store like everybody else, looking at bottled juice and snacks. 

"Hey! Have you tried this brand yet? It's so good!" One student says to another.

"I don't think I can. I am allergic to aloe." The other student answers.

 

"Oh my gosh." Mimi grunts. "Why do I have to wait for them at this chitty-chatty place?" 

Mimi purchases a cup of jelly and packet of crackers while waiting. As she puts change in her pocket, a girl approaches her from a behind with a tap on the shoulder.

"Well, seems like WM Big sister is pretty well-off, huh!"

Recognizing her nemesis, Mimi quickly takes her stuff and leave the store.

 

That girl comes with two more girls who look like her juniors. All of them are much bigger but shorter than Mimi. They all come from a nearby high school which shares walking routes and the neighborhood with WM High. As they end up in an empty field at the back of a construction site, Mimi faces the three girls.

"Hmm so," The leader girl starts, "what should we start with? Formal greeting first?"

"No need to greet those like you." Mimi smirks and shrugs her shoulders.

"Hmm, Kim Mihyun-ah, being a big sister with such a beautiful name is not so easy, right?"

"Hah!" Mimi gives off a short laugh with surprise blended in. "It's great how you know my name."

"That wasn't hard. You are pretty well-known in my school. Almost all teacher have heard your name. If you are expelled somehow, my school will definitely not recevied you." The other girls pays back with sarcasm.

"I don't care if I'm expelled or not, and I have 1001 other school in the city I can enter."

"So why are you meeting me?"

"Three reasons." Mimi holds up three fingers and started clenching her teeth. "One, you bumped into me two days ago and walked off like you were totally innocent. Even if you don't know me as the boss of WM, or even if I don't know you, at least act like a proper person by saying sorry. I think you need to learn the hard way to apology. Second, you know too much a bout me. You are a danger to my reputation at school. Three, you are a threat to me. You just want to interfere with my business since you bumped into me. So I want to finish you off. Once and forever." Mimi finishes with a deadly glare at her enemies.

The other girls are seen mumbling something to each other with some chuckles in between.

"Yah! What are you laughing at? Laughing for the last time you can?"

"Hah!" The leader girl says with titters from . "So you want to finish us off because you're simply afraid of us? What kind of Big Sister is that?"

"I just want to get rid of you. Did I say I was afraid of you?" Mimi smirks again.

Nobody really knows what Mimi is thinking, but the "formal greeting" conversation goes to an end, as Mimi quickly grabs the girl's collar and pushes her to the ground. Seeing that, the junior girls storm forward to prop up their leader, only to receive to blunt kicks to the face by Mimi and fall shoulder-first to the ground. 

"Stay away from my business or else you guys will have a worse ending than your boss!" Mimi yells and gets back to the leader girl. She gives the her several punches in the face and the chest, kicks her in the stomach and the back. She hits the girl's head in the ground, carefully enough just to hurt her but not to bleed her. Despite painful strikes on her body, the girl still doesn't let out a single sound of cry or grunt. She just lies there squirming and bearing with the truth that she has angered the wrong person.

After a short while, Mimigets bored. There's nothing fun in beating a stubborn person. The ultimate result of violence is to see the painful reaction of the victim. In this case, all three victims are like stones. They don't react, they don't get back, they don't do anything. 

Finally, to save time, Mimi kneels down as she presses her opponent's face to the ground as whispers in her ear, "You know what, I think stupid people are just created to test my anger management skills. Is that right?" She punches the girl in the stomach one more time before she leaves. As Mimi stands up and dusts her clothes, she feels something under her feet. 

It's a necklace with a name carved on a piece of metal: Jeong Minha.

MImi picks it up and looks at it closely. It rings a bell somewhere in her memory. The girl lying on the ground tries to sit up and snatch to necklace, before she receives a kick in the face. 

"You know, I always remember whom I have encountered with. This (the necklace) belongs to me, so at least I can remember you chicken lady."

Mimi takes her stuff and leaves the field without turning back. Yeah, without turning back. Who needs to care about them? Who cares to care if she is found or not?

 

Not many of the students have left. It is still quite early. Mimi sighs for an unimpressive "meeting". She goes to her locker, crams her food and stuff in her backpack, zips it, and leaves the school.

 

She walks home alone. She lives quite far from school in walking distance. She just doesn't want to take the bus. Who wants to be stuffed in a place with a bunch of old people? You can't move, you can't talk, you have to stay still. How is that bearable? Walking is much funner. You know every corners and alleys. You memorize everybody you walk by. You know who is beatable and who is not. And people know you too. They know whether to get along with you or not. They know that they should stay away.

 

Mimi's route overlaps with the one to the field she've just been to. As she passes by, the three girls are now nowhere to be seen. Instead, there is a group of five or six girls from the same school standing in the middle of the field. They seem waiting for somebody.

"Hey Kim Mihyun!" One of them call.

Mimi gives a short glare and then keeps walking.

"Yah! Are you deaf?" The same girl shouts. 

"What did you say?" Mimi turns toward her and throws some shade. "Can you say that again?"

"I said 'Are you deaf?' You know it was your name and you didn't respond. How impolite is that?" The girl raises her chin and projects her voice across the field.

Mimi's blood boils. She storms to the group and clenches the leader's collar. She has gone through a terrible day. Who are these people? What do they want?

"Just tell me what you want!" Mimi lowers her voice. "You don't need to draw attention that way. Who are you?" She pulls her collar upward trying to strangle the girl.

"Then who are you to beat the hell out of my school's student?" The girl jumps and lands a kick on Mimi's stomach. Mimi falls WITH A SMIRK.

"Oh, so today I meet the Big Boss of my neighbouring school. What an honor!" Mimi stands up and widens her smirk. "She has such a big crew!"

"I don't care who I am or who these girls are. I thought the two schools have had a treaty together last year about not fighting over each other."

"What? You liar! I have never heard about it." Mimi's face darkens.

"Well, maybe you sole Big Sister don't have enough fellows to tell you!"

The surrounding girls burs in roaring laughter. Mimi is so mad that storms forward to punch the leader girl in the face but her fellows stop Mimi right in the nose.

"So you don't know it, huh?" The leader continues. "So I'll tell you. Last year, maybe a bit before that, when the relationship between two schools were icy cold, there was a girl who raised voice about this. Students on both sides ended up with a treaty of peace. There is a list of reasons not to touch each other, where to carry out our business, and consequences of our doings. Basically, it works like the Code of Hamurabi - An eye for an eye. Since then, no case has been heard about inter-violence between two school. Now, how dare you break the code?"

"What are you talking about? Who was the stupid person to come up with that treaty thing?"

"Jeon Minha." Mimi is stunned for a second as she hears the name. "I hope you know her. And she died of the thing she created, before it turned out to be a bit different." She died because of that thing she created? How can this be possible? "So, yeah, you violated the treaty. Now what do you want?"

"Ridiculous. I didn't know there was such a thing!" Mimi leaves the same smirk on her face. "I don't care who that person is, why she died, and why you are are so furious about this mess. But if you wanna play, get go on!" Mimi throws her bag aside and prepares for the second fight in the day.

But this time, it will be heated. 

 

Without no clear signal, six girls jumps on top of Mimi and hits her the same way she did to Jeong Minha. It seems like Jeong Minha counted the number of punches and hits she received. It also seems like this encounter is carefully planned out in five minutes and evely distributed to six people. And it seems like six people are too many to be beaten. 

Bearing the weight and strength of six people, punches and hits coming without expectation, Mimi feels like she's the victim for the first time. It is the first time she has been totally encircled and attacked. It is the first time she has experienced the feel of being confronted and having no escape. It is the first time she has to entitle herself into obeying the treaty she has no idea about. It is also the time she has to keep dignity; she has to behave the way Jeong Minha did. She has to keep silence. She has to accept the fact that she is now a victim.

"Why do you deny what you take for granted?"

It is short. The revenge happens in less than a minute. Maybe the girls get bored because of Mimi's compliance. 

"So, yeah, we've taught you the words of the treaty." The leader girl kneels down and strangles Mimi. "Now, Kim Mihyun-ah, remember to do some research before you act. OK?"

Mimi doesn't respond. They, all six, kick her at random spots and leave the field.

They leave without looking at her for once, just like the way Mimi left Jeong Minha. 

Or Jeon Minha.

Or whomever she has even beaten.

 

This is the second time she has ever been lost in a fight.


Author's note:

1. It is a bit confusing because of the similar names here. Jeon Minha is the dead girl we've been talking about. Jeong (with a G) Minha is a girl from the neighboring school.

2. So what is the story behind this? What about the treaty Jeon Minha came up with? What is the reason of her death? What is the incidence that brought her to Mimi?

3. This is the second time she has lost. Wait, what? Yes, you're reading it right. The SECOND time. What happened in this first time? Who was that powerful opponent?