Chapter 5, part 1

Horror School II: 8 schoolgirl secrets

(Class A-12, last period, homeroom)

A-12 homeroom period is never in peace. Scolding, blaming, shouting, competing. The teacher complains her students being mischievous and not fulfilling their goals of being the best class of the school. The students accuse each other for not trying their best, for lacking attention in class, and for stupid reasons that bring down their conduct scores. All happens in this very period. It is quite similar to D-11, but even more intense, as this is the last year for the 12-graders, which is also the vicious battle between A-12 and B-12 (and/or D-11), between excellent students to fight for scholarships, between bullies and "head of students" to finish all their businesses. All these activities can happen at any time, or actually all the time, during homeroom period of A-12.

A-12's homeroom teacher teaches Biology; she only has two Biology classes and one homeroom class with her students. So basically every time she comes in class, that period becomes a mix of teacher-student communication and random Biology notes. Senior year Biology is easy anyway, and with much pressure of being the best class, her students has no problem with her style. They would just spend time doodling in class, and read the textbook, taking real notes at home.

But today, it seems like there is no time for notes. There is much to talk about college, scholarships, and career for senior students. Yet there will be time for the sweet conversation between teacher and student, the atmosphere in the class alters surprisingly. Instead of the vigorous people who show to hate others, the students today sit quietly and listen carefully without moving for an inch. Of course, they effortfully pay attention. The topic is tremendously important for their life, and it is also something that makes their A-12 brand real: 100% graduate and go to college. Only slight neglect or disturbance would cause the class to fight and scorn each others.

Therefore, nobody asks. They would disturb other students' thoughts if they did so. If they had a question, they would jot it down and ask the teacher personally. In fact, nobody wants their question to be heard. Their classmates will then criticize them secretly and harshly. By several non-verbal social rules, A-12 established their own kingdom with very rules: shut up and fight hard.

 

"So, that's all I have to say." The teacher raises her voice. "Do you have any question?"

No hand throws up in the air, nor any voice sounds from the students.

"Haiz, you guys are very different from you during normal classes. OK then, if you don't want your questions to be heard, just come talk to me before or after school." The students' face "light up" a little bit as the teacher understands the class' secret ordinance. "Now let's talk like we do usually." The slightly lit faces darken obviously. "We have only sixteen weeks left before your graduation. You don't have much time to waste. Your study is not done. You have to fight for your best at the end of the year for college entrance test and get a seat in your favourite college. You guys cannot disappoint me by having any student fail to achieve that goal. I'm sure you all understand this."

"Yes, ma'am!" The students say in sync.

"Good. Other than that, I want you to take care of one more thing. I said "fight for your best" doesn't mean you play dirty. OK?"

The class break in a sudden chuckle.

"I'm saying the truth. Listen, I'm not joking. I've been the homeroom teacher for many years and I've read enough records from my students. Every year since I take care of a class, there is at least one student who cheats in the final test, or the entrance test. I hope this year will be different."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Very good. Now I've talked enough. It's your turn to let out your "rage". This is the last class of the week." 

Exactly like the way she uses the word "rage", the class comes billowing with excitement. As for their smart manner, they always commend somebody first, usually the unpopular kids at the back or the corner of the class.

"Student A earned a straight hundred in the recent test in Chemistry." Dull applause.

"Student B's average grade in History increased 9 points." Dull applause.

"Student C volunteered to solve a Math problem." Dull applause.

These news are not new to the students. They are only new to the teacher, who looks forward to these blessings, as she acknowledges there are some that are slightly behind in the class.

"Very good guys. You have made noticeable changes. This class is gonna sweep the record board by the end of the year. Wonderful!" She makes an OK hand sign, which is responded by none of the students. This teacher has a young soul, by the way.

"Any more news for me? Quickly, guys, we have about 15 minutes left before the bell rings. No trivia, OK?"

The faces darken one more time. The students start to glare at each other and throw suspicious looks. One student stands up and speaks up before the tension goes too far.

"I want to report this one thing. Very small." He makes a hand gesture showing the "very small concern".

"OK, tell us." The teacher says.

"I feel like our class is not going well. In the previous years, I always felt like my class is my second family. But this year, we are more like social people shoved in a cell, rather than so-called "friends"." He sits down quietly before the teacher can react.

She can hardly answer before the students react. They give furious stares at the honest student. He himself doesn't know how to respond to the situation. He just sits still and stares at the teacher, waiting for an answer and fencing off the evil looks.

"So, I sense that there is some misunderstanding in this class, right?"

They keep silent, but still looking around, waiting for some hero to solve this problem.

But nobody is brave enough to bend the truth.

"Sure there is misunderstanding." The teacher continues. "I tell you what, my high school senior year twenty years ago was the same. There were groups, comflicts and misunderstanding everywhere. I understand that you guys have to fight for grades, and that may break your friendships or separate you from your close friends. I don't expect all of you have to get along with each other, actually that will be good though, but I don't want you to compete negatively. We are a class. OK you have high grades. You raise the class' average. That is good. You all help each other to raise the average, that is even better. I don't understand why the school wants us to compete and battle each other, but you need to know your own goods and your class' benefits are two different things. I talk less, you understand more, OK?"

The students all sigh in sync. They have heard this thing so many times some previous year teachers, you have to love each other, we are a unity, we are a family, you have to help each other to get better. Well, not this year.

There are quiet mutters going on around the class. 

"Well, thank you."

"Yes, we know that."

"We're just unlucky enough to be in this unfair monarchy."

"Excuse me!" The teacher says loudly. "Unfair monarchy? Are you talking bad about me right in front of me?"

It was the same brave student. Seems like he has lost faith being a member of A-12.

"I'm just trying to get straightforward that I don't feel being treated right in this class. It's not because of you. It's the second powerful person in this class! I tell you, it is Choi Hyojung, our "talented" monitress!"

"Hyojung?"

The tension comes rolling like a domino chain. 

"Yes, that person is not worth being a monitress!"

"She is no more no less than a tyrant!"

"How could you let such a dictator to lead our class?"

"I can't believe this person represents our class!"

"Can't you find a more potential person?"

 

The teacher had no idea that a single thought can lead to such a rebel to overthrow the leader. Fingers pointing. Mouths yelling. Tables shaken. Voices overlapping each other.

"Stop!" The teacher shouts. "I say stop! Are you in school or in martketplace that you are free to do what you want?"

The rebel slowly dies down and the students get back to their seat in frustration. 

"You are educated people. You cannot act like cavemen. Now Hyojung! Stand up!"

Hyojung stand up in disgrace. She keeps her eyes fixed on the teacher. It's very rare for somebody that can keep their head high after being by the whole class.

"Tell me what happened." The teacher orders.

"I don't know." Hyojung calmly says.

The teacher sighs. "Actually, I don't care if you do know or not. If there are only two or three people to report this, I wouldn't have cared because that's their personal opinions to you. But every single person sitting here is pointing toward you, I cannot ignore. I don't need to know what happened between you guys, and I don't want to know either. If you can create trouble with others, or vice versa, you, or all of you can make it up together. I don't want to be involved in this case, because the problem is between all of you."

The class goes into silent for a moment. After a long while of enduring this tyranny, they find a last resort of telling everything to the teacher. And she seems unaware of the serious quarrel in the class. From every corner of the class, the students can see Hyojung secretly smirking.

"Teacher!" Another student stand up. This time a girl. "How do you feel if the principal uses his power to command you to do everything, even the things you don't want to do?"

"What do you mean?" The teacher asks in confusion.

"That scenario will rarely happen. But to our class, it is a daily thing. Your beloved monitress overwhelmes the class. She ignores our speeches, opinions and everything else. She ignores our presence. Or actually, her self-centeredness enshrouds the class. We are the common people while she is the absolute queen. She has the power to do everything she wants. Simply because she is the head of us. She represents us. Our thoughts going to her can be changed in a blink of an eye. Is that somebody worthy to be the leader? And now you tell us to solve our own problem! If we could, we wouldn't have made a fuss of this."

She comes to a pause and gasps for air after having a long speech. All the students are staring at her in amazement, except Hyojung, who is throwing mistrust everywhere. Blatantly she's not calling for help nor understanding. She is shivering for the fact that there is some day her power comes to an end in a short homeroom class. 

"We even have a big list of her faults since the begining of the year. Believe it or not, teacher, this is your last resort of solving our problem, is handling it to you. We tried to solve it ourselves and we failed too hard."

The teacher stands dumbfounded. She never knew that there is such big dispute in her class. She believed that this is the best class she has had, and now it is revealed that these students are more like strangers and gangsters than members in a unity.

 

"Hyojung-ah," the teacher calls, "do you have anything to defend for yourself?"

Hyojung looks around. Everybody is avoiding eye contact with her. They show disgurst on their faces, as if any physical or mental contact to her leads to a plague. Now she is really calling for help.

"WHY, PEOPLE?" She suddenly shouts, which draws attention back to her. "YOU'VE BEEN LISTENING TO ME FOR THE WHOLE TIME! WHY ARE YOU DISOBEYING ME? DO YOU ALL WANT TO BE PUNISHED? DO YOU WANT THE CLASS AVERAGE TO DROP? DO YOU WANT THE "BEST CLASS OF THE YEAR" AWARD? I DID OF THIS BECAUSE OF YOU GUYS! ANSWER ME! ARE WE A UNITY OR NOT? WHO IS CRUEL NOW, YOU OR ME?" Tears start to roll down her face. 

In everybody, the students and the teacher, the only word to to describe the situation is "messy". Should they cry along with her too or should they just abandon this dictator?

"Calm down, Hyojung." The teacher speaks up. "And listen to me."

The class holds their breath listening.

"It was not until today I realize we have a terrible operation going on in our class. And all that is due to the fact that we have a bad homeroom teacher, a bad monitor, and a bad crowd. From now on, this mess should end by not having such positions anymore. Hyojung, I now remove you from being a monitress. First reason, we are all grown-ups, and we know how to control our own life, and we are all smart by ourselves. There is no more need of a person to represent us, because all of our opinions are worthy. Second, the entrance test is coming close, I want everybody including Hyojung to focus on studying. Having a position only distracts you from earning good grades and therefore lowering your grades. Problem solved. We have about 3 minutes left. Now take out your Biology notes."

Hyojung looks around, stupefied. So is the teacher fencing her or not? Is this a happy ending or not? And is this real or not? She loses her position? The thing that she values more than her life? The thing that she has been for 12 years going to school? Is this really happening?

"Hyojung-ah," the teacher calls, "sit down and take out your notes."

Hyojung sits down but her legs are tightening in confusion. Her eyes are numb in their sockets. She canot hear anything now. All she can feel is confusion.

A stranger staff walks in the class and quickly hands the teacher a yellow piece of paper. It is a note from the office, or another teacher.

"Shin Hyejin, you're going somewhere." The teacher gives JinE the note.

It says Administrative Office.