Chapter 6, part 1

Horror School II: 8 schoolgirl secrets

(End of schoolday)

"You should go right now, Hyejin, it is an urgent note." The teacher says.

"Uh...yes ma'am, I'm going right now." 

JinE runs toward the teacher table to receive the red note and leaves the classroom. Why can't they just wait for 5 minutes and then call me? Or do they think that I'll leave school immediately then? Despite having no clue of what is happening, she still walks steadily to the admin office. It is a long walk. By the time she reaches the office, the bell must have rung already. 

On the way, she recalls what just happened in the class. It was chaotic. It was horrible, shocking, unbelievable. Befriending Hyojung several years, she cannot believe how evil and artful the monitor can be. And JinE has no idea about being a part of Hyojung's circle. The way she kicks everybody out of her safe zone to make herself and her closest aquaintances (the word "friend" is just too much) untouchable is just...too much to bear. And being in her circle actually brings no benefit. JinE has never consider herself a friend of Hyojung. She feels like she has been "Hyojung's tails" just to keep her popularity stable, because being an admin only benefits her in the virtual world.

 

"My job is to go and say what needs to be said."

 

"That's not your businese to interfere."

 

"You seem interested in high positions."

 

"And by the way, I have many nemeses to clear."

 

"Can you stop acting so innocent when you're with me? We are the high-class people of this school. Stop being like others, like, being inferior, OK? You make me feel like a low class person."

 

JinE knows. She does know the consequences of being around Hyojung. She has been humiliated from inside, so someday she might give up the admin position, so in case Hyojung wins consecutive monitor elections, then she might be omnipotent. 

 

"You thought admins are omnipotent? No! We are not! Not me, not Seo Youngjoon. It is the Chief Administrator, Mrs. Ahn!"

 

"We are not omnipotent, Hyojung-ah. You are."

 

Thinking of Mrs. Ahn, JinE glances at the red note. It says District Administration Office, Mrs. Ahn Hae Mi. What happens that she has to pull me out of class? Usually, student staffs are only called in case of an emergency. Ordinary students can be called at anytime; naughty students are called way more frequently than others, to the Principal, to the Vice Principal, or to the Conference Room, not the Admin Office. What happened?

 

Exactly as JinE predicted, the school bell rings right at the moment she is about to to knock on the door. About to. Hardly she could touch the door when somebody appears behind the door and opens it for her.

It is Mrs. Ahn.

JinE suddenly feels cold. It is not the A/C cold in the office, not the wintry cold outside. It is an eerie internal cold in the spine that foreshadows something terrible is going to happen. It seems like Mrs. Ahn already waited at the door for her.

"Come in, darling!" Mrs. Ahn says. Her tone is ridiculously sweeter than usual, with slight anger and suppression. "Have a seat." She points at a chair infront of the conference table.

The office is empty. Mrs. Ahn and JinE are the two people remaining. Where is everybody? Where are the other officers? Where are the teachers? This office is one of the most crowded rooms of the campus. Why do they all evaporate just before the bell rings? And JinE doesn't see anybody leaving the room. Did Mrs. Ahn kick them out? Then for what?

Anyway, by any means, this meeting is designed for just two people. This must be very serious.

"You pulled me from class." JinE starts to break the awkward silence.

"Yes. Yes I did." Mrs. Ahn grins. "And I do acknowledge that you were in class. But I found out this thing that I could not wait any minute to discuss it with you. Here, have some tea." 

"No thanks."

"Are you sure? It's very cold outside."

"I think I'm OK."

 

"So, I found this."

Mrs. Ahn grabs a random laptop nearby and opens to show that it is already logged in with a student account.

"See?" She pushes the laptop closer to JinE.

"Jung Kyuwoo? Who is that? I don't think we have this person in school."

"You're right. This is a former student. He graduate 3 years ago so it is reasonable that you don't know him."

"So why are you longging in with his account?"

"This lucky account is not deleted or cleared. So it still functions normally like other accounts."

"But why are you doing this? I don't understand." 

JinE starts to get nervous. Why does Mrs. Ahn pulls her out of class just to show her this random account of a former student? Is there something special with that student or that account?

"You will understand when I do this." Mrs. Ahn says. Her facial expression starts to change from generous to stern.

She accesses the mailbox of the account. There were very few mails sent and most mails received were school-related. And she composes one.

 

To JinE!

 

"What are you doing, Mrs. Ahn? Why are you sending a mail to me?" 

JinE gets a bit agitated. She has been in confusion for straight 20 minutes since receiving the red note. What is Mrs. Ahn doing?

The mail is fairly short: Do you want to be a school staff? Come and register right now at the Administration Office! Don't miss the chance! For more information, access the school website. That is the common message sent out every end of the first semester to recruit to new staff filling in spots for seniors that are going to graduate.

"Done! See it, Hyejin?" Mrs. Ahn asks.

"Uh...yes...but what all this about? I don't understand anything!"

"You will understand when you log in your account and check the mail."

"What? My mail?"

"Yes, do that right now! This is an order from a school staff!"

JinE complies without asking further. She still doesn't understand what all this about. Why does she have to come all the way here just to open her mailbox?

The computer is annoyingly slow; that's why Mrs. Ahn turned it on ahead of time. The awkward silence during the wait is just inconveniently uncomfortable. JinE avoids looking around or directly to Mrs. Ahn, because she knows there must be something serious about all this stuff, her mailbox, or anything.

 

"So, are you in yet?" Mrs. Ahn asks.

"Uhm...yes, it's in."

"Do you see the thing I just sent you?"

"Please give me a second."

JinE starts scrolling down her mailbox. As an admin, she receives a lot of emails, as when a person posts something on the school community, a notification is sent to her. It's a district feature, so there is no way she can turn it off.

"Do you see it?"

"Uhm...no. Are you sure you sent it to me? There are many people with the same name as mine."

"Hah! That's interesting."

Mrs. Ahn stands up and takes her tea cup with her. She starts walking around as if she is alone in the room. She starts smiling, looking up and down. For a split moment, she looks angry, and then her face relaxes. It happens for a straight five minutes. JinE is totally puzzled. What is happening here? Why does Mrs. Ahn call her here, send her a nonsense email, and then walking around like a crazy lady?

 

"That's interesting." Mrs. Ahn repeats. "I think I know what's happening."

"What's happening, Mrs.Ahn?" JinE asks. "What is all this about?"

"Girl," Mrs. Ahn suddenly sprints toward JinE and looks deep in her eyes. "I have underrated you. You are smarter than I thought. But you can never be smarter than me. You think I'll never think of that? Oh come on! It was me who designed the whole community! It was me! Not some guys from the district. I knew by hearts all features you can use, what you and Youngjoon can uses but not other students."

"Mrs, Ahn?" JinE starts to cower and tremble. "What are you talking about?"

"You only know how powerful admins are to normal students but you don't know how even more powerful I am to you guys. Both you and Youngjoon, you guys always think that I'm always working on student profiles and attendance. Yeah! But what is that have to do with the community site? They are just the same thing! I created the community on the student profiles. You use your school account to log in the community, don't you?"

"Mrs. Ahn, what does it have to do with the thing you sent me? I've check five times. There is no such email."

"That makes sense! That totally makes sense! You think, as a registrar administrator, I don't track you account's activities? You're wrong! You're absolutely wrong, young lady!"

Now JinE starts to worry. No, no way. Why does she know?

"You're questioning in your head why do I know this stuff, why do I want to interfere with this stuff, right? So let me tell you what I already know. I have a list of people I usually track. Every time they log in, post anything, use any feature, they will show up in my roster in real time with thorough details. You and Youngjoon, my young people, crack my list the whole time. Interestingly, you guys use a lot of features I created when I first designed the site. They are not very efficient, so I abandoned them and never informed anybody that there are such things. You guys, actually I think that was Youngjoon, broke in and found them. If it was not for you guys, I wouldn't even remember creating such. There is this feature which you can classify student users in ranks, so you can sort out important emails and people and ignore absurd spams. There is also this thing which allows you to censor the right people and protect the safety of the community. There is even this thing which allows you to shut down a stored file on an account, or even shut down the account, so the owner would be considered never happened. Interestingly, it appears that you are the one who activated all of which I talked about, correct?"

JinE stares at Mrs. Ahn in awe. What, how, why?

"Base on your facial expression, I believe my deductions are right. WHY, HYEJIN?" Mrs. Ahn sudden shouts at JinE. "I created those features for admins to administer the site, to help people. The whole purpose of the community site is to help students bonding and bolstering each other, not suppresing and bullying each other!"

What am I going to do?

"I hope you understand what I'm talking about. I'll see if I can do anything about this. I'll reconsider your position as an admin. You are dismissed, Hyejin. Go home."

Mrs. Ahn coldly turns away.

JinE stares at Mrs. Ahn for a little while, regretting her actions, and leaves.


Author's note: Explanation if you don't understand what Mrs. Ahn implies.

JinE has used the features Mrs. Ahn created to gain benefit for herself doing the administration. She filtered out unwanted accounts and put the ones she preferred on top. She takes advantages of this to shape the community the way she wants. As a result of this meeting, JinE is removed from the board, as foreshadowed in chapter 4, part 1.

Youngjoon also joins in a bit of this. He is a skillful hacker, as mentioned in chapter 2, part 1. He might have, (I emphasize, MIGHT HAVE), discovered the forgotten features and showed them to JinE. Up until now, there is no implication that Youngjoon is a bad guy that way, but let's see.

For those of you who are observant and have bionic eyes :-) I started writing again from the "So, are you in yet?" part. The part since then sounds a bit different from the previous part in style. Anyway, stay tune for chapter 6, part 2. What did JinE use her abilities for? What did she do to Minha? And why is Mrs. Ahn so interested in this business?

Sorry for last week's absence. I check the character list for mistake and somehow forgot to release the chapter, so this week there are two!