The Advocacy

I've Got Some News For You

“THE INTELLIGENCE ABOVE THE CONSCIENCE; THE BOOK BARN VERSUS THE ORPHANS”

“BEWARE! THE WRECTOR BALL IS ABOUT TO SWING!”

“SMART BRAIN CREATES AVOIDANCE TO SOCIETY”

“DOES THE LIBRARY BELONG TO THE BACKWOODS? NO, HANOK DOES”

“WHAT DO YOU CALL A PLACE THAT DESTROY HOPES? UNIVERSITY!”

“A BULLDOZER IS PARKING BELOW THE RECTOR’S DESK”

 

 

Those words stick to the boards, walls, magazines, brochures, all over the campus. Our press club has been pushing the university to cancel its agenda about razing the orphanage at the back of our campus through writing or creative design. However, the president of the university stated that it was the final decision. Not only that, the voluntary teaching program doesn’t really interest the students in our campus as well. For me, 27 out of 16.000 students are not enough. Moreover, 10 of them are from the press club. I am so greedy, I need more people to notice. But we don’t stop, we keep propagate this movement. I promise myself not to stop and don’t lose hopes, for the sake of the orphans.

 

“KaTalk!” My phone is ringing and vibrating, means a message is up.

“Oppa, I want to remind you that we will have a meeting with the Vice President today at 1 pm. Where should we meet before we get there together?”

Ah, it’s Hyejin. “Thank you for your reminder, Hyejin. What about student cafetaria? So we can have lunch together as well?”

“That’d be great! Ok, see you at 12 then?”

I reply her with an “okay” sticker.

“By the way, Oppa, Yongsun Eonnie cannot come with us because she has a sudden appointment with her professor. So, it’ll be just the two of us,”

“Oh, yes, this morning she told me too. Okay, see you later, Hyejin!”

 

The conversation is ended. After that, I quickly wear my formal attire, a little bit tightening my black and red stripe tie and everything’s done. The clockwise on my watch has pointed to 11.15 pm. It will take 20 minutes from my apartment to get to the campus. Before I go, I look at the mirror and tell my self, “Stay still, you can do that, you can survive. Good luck, Bro!”

 

---

 

I finally meet Hyejin. We have lunch together in the cafetaria, I choose bokkeumbap and she chooses pork cutlet. I’m not really close to her eventhough we hang out together very often, but Wheein is, well, of course they are unseparated bestfriends since senior high, but now their major is different, Wheein takes design, Hyejin takes music. Both of them are brilliant, they took acceleration class in junior and senior high, that’s why they are a year younger than me in the university. They even have twin tattoos on their feet written “resonance”. I respect their friendship very much. Our conversation is rather formal, and stiff as usual. After finishing our meals, we are heading to the Vice President of Administration and Development’s office.

 

Outside his office, Hyejin initiatively knock his door. A 40-ish women welcomes us and takes us straight to the Vice President.

“Good Afternoon, Mr. Kim. I am the Editor in Chief of the Student Press Veritas. My name is Moon Byulyi,” I shake his hand firmly. “And this is our Secretary, Ahn Hyejin,” Later, Hyejin shakes his hand as well. Mr. Kim Do Hoon invites us to sit in the sofa in front of his desk. I sit next to Hyejin in the longer sofa, while he is seating himself in the single sofa across us. There are only the three of us in the room.

 

“First of all, we would like to congratulate you on the classical jazz concert you held earlier. It was marvelous, Sir.” I start the conversation with himself as the topic. I want to know how he would react to this, ‘cause his answer will influence my next moves whether too formal or vice versa, certainly.

“Hahaha thank you, thank you. It was the third time I held the concert. I am so thankful that the standard has been raised to international scope. The crew worked hard as well, without them the concert would not be as marvelous as you said, Kid,”

“Most of the songs played were your creation as well, right, Sir?”

“Yes, you are right. As I said before, again, I am so proud of the crew, they performed the songs fantastically,” he’s forming a smile at us. “Well, enough about me. So, what brings you here, Kids?” He seems so, nice and friendly.

 

“It is regarding the expanding of the new campus building to the backwoods, Sir,” My prologue encourages Hyejin to open her note and begin recording our conversation on her notes. She also hand the Vice President a 100 pages thick of our research.

“Yes, we are going to have a new library back there. What is the matter with that?” He’s smiling at us, it is rather a smile of challenge. I smile back, to increase my confident and to prove that I won’t be quiver for his challenge. I lean forward and tie my fingers in the middle of my open legs. The serious conversation is about to start.

 

“With all due respect, the sentence should be, ‘What are the matters’, since there are a lot, Sir. Firstly, the backwoods is apparently a home for 55 orphans and several elder caretakers. They have been settling that place for years, even before this university thought about expanding the building,” Now, his smile signifies his interest towards current issue.

He extends his right hand over us while stating, “Please, elaborate more,” showing that we are allowed to deliver our opinions freely. With his permission, I convey my arguments calmly.

 

“I would like to assume that the construction project committee had been observing well, but I couldn’t, Sir. In relate to this, the big question mark would appear, why did the committee choose the occupied location? Where would the committee transfer the residents to? If so, would they have the same benefit as they possess now? Based on the information from the committee, there were no resident in that area, therefore any compensation would not be presented. The committee stated that the fact was according to their ‘deep observation’. However, Sir, I believe that they are not digging deep enough, you may take a look at our research, Sir, we provide a more comprehensive writing,”

He doesn’t cut any of my line, he’s listening to it carefully while reading our research conscientiously. I can say that he is such a good listener.

 

“Besides, this project is contradicted with the provision in several legislative acts and ministrial decrees which are related to human rights, social welvare, and environment. It is so unfortunate that the university, which the law school is in one of the top 5 in Korea, disobeys the law itself,”

 

Finally, he responds to my argument. He’s also a good speaker, he knows when to start spiting his words and when to stop. I would say he is unpretentious judging from words he chooses to say. This is called a discussion, sharing thoughts rather than debating, our previous encounter with the President was a debating competition. In spite of these facts, he is still restraining himself from providing the full explanations, but I can understand that, not all of the information can be shared publicly, sorting them is a must. I completely realize that he is not the main decision maker towards this issue. However, reassuring him about cancelling the fixed plan will not be a waste of time, since Vice President is the first person who should be asked by the President for consideration and it shall be heard, I guess, only if the President is not a dictator and democratic.

 

“Well, I really appreciate that there are still group of students who still concern about social issue surrounding them. Nowadays, most of students are overwhelmed with their personal problems and forget to contribute to the society. I could say that you are one of a kind, Kids.” To be honest, the look in his eyes doesn’t indicate doubt nor conviction towards my prior advocacy. This guy is mantaining his serenity perfectly. “However, Vice President doesn’t possess the authority on making nor changing this type of decision. Therefore, Vice President is taking part on supporting and executing President’s decision,”

“Yes, Sir, I am aware of the authority of Vice President. However, this is adhere to Vice President in structural position, not in personal as human being with conscience. I believe there would be a significant different in thoughts,”

He smiles and take seconds to answer. 10 seconds of silence, that is the longest gap between our conversation so far. “I believe ... that title is inherent to a person as human being with conscience as well, Kid,” It feels like stalemate, as if in the chess game, none of us can move.

 

“Well, our conversation has been so precious, Sir. It is such an honor for us to be able to convey our advocacy towards this current issue to you. Thank you for accepting us,”

“Don’t mention it, Kids. I value your hardwork as well, your research shall be a great consideration.” He said while taking the hardcover binding book from the table. “I would like to know, have you talked to the President in regards to this issue?”

"Yes, we have, Sir. It has been 3 times for us, as the last time we got rejected as soon as he saw our faces. We met the advisory body as well, but they stated that they have no power to change the decision. We also had an appointment with the construction project committee a week ago, but they did not provide satisfaction response,” I said to him as I want to show him that our team has been bleeding in defending the truth.

 

"Why would you choose talking to me? You realize that I have no authority towards this issue, right?"

"First of all, this project is under the department below your authority, eventhough the President has the full power of decision making, you would be one of the party who is responsible for the impact, we would like to remind you about the impact through today's meeting. Second of all, we endure the task to release 'veritas', it is not limited to students only, but also civitas academica in general, Sir,"

 

“If in your perspective, you achieve nothing from today’s meeting, what else would you do, Kids?” He said to us. As I mention before, his words are really challenging us, I bet he wants to test our persistence and ingenuity. Besides, it is intriguing him to hear our next move.

 “Well, as a law student, I believe that taking effective legal measures shall be the best way to return the condition to the original state,” I smile, arrogantly. For the rest 75 minutes, that is the first time he changes his expression to rather surprised expression. His smile fades away. But in a couple of seconds, his lips are spreading again.

 

“I guess this is the end of our meeting today.” He stands up, signaling to finish the long conversation. Hyejin and I follow him to stand up. “If you need to discuss anything about this campus, this topic or the new one, I am open. You have my contact with you, right?”

“Yes, Sir, we have your contact with us. And this is my contact as well if you want to discuss any topics or giving us the good news about the cancellation of the project, Sir,” I take my wallet in my trousers pocket, later I give him my name card.

He takes my name card surprisingly. “Hm, good, you have this. Well, may the force be with you,” Then we shake each other hand to close our meeting. But before we are passing the door, he calls us again. “Kids, lastly, remember, keep on going, no matter how hard it will take, or how far it will go. You will never know the result if you stop in the middle of the road. Keep on going,”

“We will, Sir. Thank you.”

 

Unfortunately, our meeting has not done yet. Outside of his office, we have to face the chief of this project committee, one of the loyal person of the President, and a jackass. Kang Taewoo.

“Hey, you were that boy protesting over my project. What are you doing here?”

“We just finished our meeting with Mr. Vice President, Sir,”

“Meeting him for cancelling my project? It’s in your dream you silly!”

 

“Hey, what’s going on outside?” Hearing that jackass shouting, Mr. Kim go out of his office to check what happened.

“No, Mr. Vice President. This silly boy causing headache. He must be spreading rumors and slanders. Whatever he said to you, don’t trust him, Mister, I bet he can’t be responsible for his words,”

“Sir, please taste your words before you spit them. Or are they too sour you cannot hold it but vomit them?”

“What are you saying to me you ignorant rat?! You are talking to an older person! Be respectful! You are just a student! Nothing you can do to change the decision you little weasel!” The jackass raises his right hand as if wanting to slap my face. My body is ready to parry whatever harm movement he will do.

“Enough! Both of you have no right to shout and release bad words in my office. Now, Kids, you can go! I have another appoinment,”

“Thank you, Sir,” That jerkass are still staring at us with eyes full of hatred. If it was legal to kill a person, he would be my target. His arguments are nonsense, he speaks with his mouth only. I bet zombies won’t even chase him, ‘cause he has no brain.

 

But all of the sudden, after couple of steps out the office ...

“BRAAKKK!!”

 

 

 

 


 

Thank you for waiting! I am so sorry for the really late posting, I am overwhelming in doing my papers. T__T

I hope you guys enjoy this! Please write me critics and recommendation, that would be lovely! Thanks!