Side by Side

I've Got Some News For You

“Noona, I think this issue will be a huge controversy for our magazine,” He said to her.

 

“Are you really sure about this?” He added. He explained to her every theories passed on his mind in details. Hopefully, it would be convincing.

 

Her eyes couldn’t get off her little fingers which tied to each other on the table. Surely, she already thought of this idea very carefully, but he really expected that she would change her mind as well.

 

Without taking any longer, she raised her chin up and seriously looked him in the eyes while inhaling a deep breath.

 

“Are you afraid?” Her words seemed to challenge him.

 

He opened his mouth to answer her – before she cut his prologue – “Please, tell me again, what was your motivation in joining this club?”

 

He looked away, a little bit bothered, and said, “Noona, please, I am feeling bad if you’re underestimating me in taking this issue,”

 

She was still staring at him, but didn’t say a word, waiting for him to reply more. She always knew if he had something to tell, judging from his expression.

 

“You still remember how many controversial cases we wrote in our weekly paper, right? Those happened in a small scale, like.., for example how the senior in Art and Designing Club treated their junior really bad like in semi military in their membership training, causing 17 out of 38 freshmen injured,”  He inhaled, then exhaled, “Do you still remember that those guys were after you and tried to hurt and kidnap you?! Not to brag about it, but.. thank God I was there to kick their asses,” He dared himself to look at her eyes deeply. At that time, he was trying to be as miserable as he could, “Noona, this is dangerous. I.. don’t want to see another threat chasing after you..”

 

She was still in her insicive look. All of the sudden, she smiled at him, her smile meant something, something that you don’t want to expect, really.

 

Her right hand was reaching to his, she caressed his scar while reminiscing how he got it. Yes, it was the result of fighting against bad guys who were chasing after her. They left him a 10 cm long scar on his right hand. He himself even scared to look at it, the skin was splitted in two. Another one is above his left eyebrow, but it was not that bad and lastly it was on his back, but he didn't know exactly where. Somehow the pain was sensed everytime he stretched his body to the right.

 

“The truth cannot be held for any longer, Byul. It should be heard in order to create a better system, a better living for all,” she continued, “I am aware that this will threaten me, and you as well, not only this time, I know what will approach me soon, since this might relate to our head of university-nim and his colleagues. It’s the risk I will endure. But there is something more important than that..” She cut her sentences and stood up to walk towards the window. Her hand clinged on the glass. As he saw the beautiful reflection turned gloomy, he went to approach her.

 

Even the laughters of the kids down there couldn’t make the smile spread on those cherry lips. She was concerned about the continuity of the orphanage next to their campus. They heard that the orphanage would be razed soon in order to build a new building for the campus. However, this hadn’t been published officially, even the orphanage wouldn’t get any compensation.

 

“Byul, if it’s hard for you to continue, that’s okay. I’m going to do this by myself,” she said. The worst statement he expected finally came out. That was not the first time he heard this sentence.

 

The ticking of the time left him thinking. Whatever crossed his mind wouldn't be powerful enough to change her decision. Nothing he could do about it actually, since she was one obstinate girl.

 

“Yongsun Noona, you leave me with no choice,”

 

“So, how do you say?” she said again. “I need your answer now,”

 

He walked towards the table where they sat before and handed his bag. Without turning his face on her, he responded, “Firstly, it’s almost 6 PM, let’s go home. I’ve got tasks to do. Secondly, I will always be by your side, or maybe behind your back, to prevent the nasty guys coming after you. The moon and the sun.. they are walking side by side, completing each other, right?” With jokingly being boastful, he continued, "Besides, what would you be without me, Sun-ssi?"

 

Then the moment of silence embraced them. He thought, if he couldn't convince her to stop, at least he could convince her his company.

 

“Moonbyul ya, gomawo..”

 

Without facing her again, he replied, “Hahaha. Ppali, Yongsun-ssi, before we become a canned sardine in the subway!” He had no guts to turn to her, surely because his face turned as red as a tomato.

 

“Right at your back!”

 

They went back home together. As usual, he accompanied her until the last station nearby her apartment. After she left, he kept thinking the word she said and making a scenario about their brand new project. How dangerous would that be? Nobody knows. All he knew was, “We’ll be fine” would always be attached in his prayer.

 

 

 


Hello! I'm revising this story!

No extreme plot or substantial changes, only some typos and perspective kekeke

Enjoy!