To New Friends

Scribbles

Take Kwon Yuri, your average second-year student who just happens to be an ace in the water. Not the best when it came to academic endeavours, but she held good enough grades not to get pulled from her precious varsity team. Her tanned skin, though had nothing to do with being out in the open as the school’s swimming pool was an indoor one, was one of the few things that instantly caught a lot of people’s attention. She had good proportions, for someone still in high school, and an even better bill of health- or so it is rumoured- and top all of that with her good looks and charming personality and we have your stereotypical miss popular. What more, she was also friendly, to the point that it was almost impossible not to think that she was an airhead.

 

“No one is that perfect.” I growled under my breath when I spot Kwon Yuri pushing past the cafeteria doors surrounded by her small group of loud friends. They were laughing at something the tall resident glutton had said, not even thinking that their loudness could disrupt the peace over the cafeteria. What an uncouth group.

 

“You know, they say the more you hate the more you love.” I sent Stephanie my coldest glare. Stephanie Hwang, self-proclaimed soul sister, self-proclaimed pink princess, and self-proclaimed life of the party, the one person I both love and hate in this cruel prison called high school. Ladies and gentlemen, my best friend.

 

Unfazed by my glaring, she took a bite out of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich, casually chewing the chunk in a few times before continuing. “I mean, take us for example. You said so yourself, we’re polar opposite and you never thought we would ever be friends. Look at us now.”

 

I scoffed at her reasoning. “I never hated you.”

 

“Ah, but you disliked me. Why else did you actively try to avoid me those first few weeks?”

 

“Because you wouldn’t shut up about L.A., as if I care there’s a lot more partying there than San Fran.”

 

“You’re just jealous I got to be that close to the stars while you froze your heart at cold and humid San Fran.” She waved the sandwich in her hand as if it proved her point. It was a stupid point. I did not freeze my heart. I was just a lot more wary of people than she was.

 

“Whatever, Stepho.”

 

“It’s Stephanie! God! That was a long time ago. Let it go!” She harrumphs. This is the beauty of online diaries, pulling ers in for the rest of the world to make fun off. It’s fun to rile her up with simple teases like this. The irritated, sour look on her was a nice change from her innocent, girl next door stint that she had the school believe her to be.

 

I stick my tongue out at her, retracting it before her grabby fingers could take a hold of it and slap her hands away. “Paws off, Stephanie. I may love you as my best friend, but not enough to be alright with sharing germs.”

 

She rolls her eyes at me. “Whatever. Anyway, why do you even hate Yuree that much? She hasn’t done anything to you, has she?”

 

“Who said I hated her?” I keep my glare trained on my lunchbox, digging into the rice to look for the small bits of radish that I like. I am unprepared as Stephanie makes a swipe at my spoon before proceeding to stuff it into her half-full mouth with a small portion of rice she managed to scoop out. My face must have wrinkled in disgust, PB and J with kimchi fried rice should not be a good mix. Stephanie doesn’t seem to care as she chewed the food in , teasingly dangling my spoon just out of my reach.

 

“Great! Now I’ve got to stand and go all the way to the sink to wash off the germs from my spoon.” I growl at her. She grins with her slightly bloated cheeks. As annoying as she was I couldn’t stay irritated at her for long, especially when she was being this cute.

 

She finally swallows the meal in , washing the aftertaste with the OJ she had. I sigh, knowing she hadn’t finished talking yet. “You know, you’re always saying something about her whenever you see her. And frankly, I’m tired of hearing you complain about her… hair style or how she’s talking to a random person like they were old time buddies even though no one’s seen them interact before that time. Why can’t you leave the poor girl alone Jessie? She hasn’t done anything to upset you.”

 

“Kwon Yuri being Kwon Yuri upsets me.” I reply calmly.

 

“Why?” she sighs. “For what reason?”

 

“Because!” I turn my head over to Kwon Yuri’s table. She was, yet again, laughing at something one of her friends said. She had her head against the table, her hand slapping the air in between her and her other friend, the short one with the old lady laugh. “Look at her. She’s infuriating to look at!”

 

Stephanie does, pausing long enough to observe the subsiding laughter. “She looks like a fun girl from where I’m sitting.”

 

I groan. “She’s loud and obnoxious and doesn’t even have the decency to keep her loudness to herself and let the rest of the people eat in peace.”

 

This time Stephanie takes a 360 degree look around the cafeteria before shrugging her shoulder. “Aside from you, doesn’t look like anyone’s bothered at all. In fact, most of them talk louder than Kwon Yuree’s group.”

 

I refocus my glare at her. “Whose side are you on? And here I thought you were my best friend.”

 

Stephanie reached with her hand that’s not holding onto her sandwich and my spoon, placing it over mine. Her hands were unfairly warm, whereas mine were cold. Maybe the whole freezing in San Fran wasn’t all that out there. “I am your best friend, Jessie. That’s why I care to ask these questions.”

 

“Well then, gee, thanks for making me look like the big bad wolf.”

 

“I’m doing no such thing. You’re being over dramatic Jessie.” She passes me back my spoon. I take it, dangling it in between my forefinger and thumb. Stephanie rolls her eyes at me. “And germs are good for you. It boosts your immunity against the more hard-core diseases, so stop being so germaphobic. It doesn’t suit you.”

 

We exchange grins and I resume digging into my meal. I chose not to comment more on the whole Kwon Yuri subject.

 

 

 

 

 

“Steph, please tell me this is a joke.” I hiss at her as soon as we were out of earshot. I took a glance over her shoulder, managing to plaster on a smile to the wary look the short girl was sending us. Catching my gaze her eyes widen in panic before she puts on an awkward smile, her eyes shooting off to somewhere else. Idiot.

 

Stephanie sighs, gently prying my fingers off her arm. I snap my gaze back on her, my glare weakening at the pained look on her face. I backed off a little, feeling guilty for my reaction.

 

“Jessie, please.” She says, looking at me with pleading eyes, holding onto her arms as if to stop herself from trembling. “I’m telling you this because I don’t want to betray your trust in me.”

 

“But, you were just fan girling over Denis Oh. How the hell did this happen?” I ask her, flinging one of my hand over to where Taeyeon was sitting. I don’t deny it, I am completely bewildered by this fact that was just slapped across my face. And I called myself Stephanie’s best friend. I didn’t even pick up on the fact that she was dating someone under my nose. There were too many emotions going through my mind right then that I couldn’t even pick a proper reaction. All that’s processed was that Taeyeon was patiently waiting on our table, probably wondering what we were talking about behind her back.

 

The look on her face falls and with it came the harsh tugging in my heart. I make a grab at her arm, feeling my heart breaking when she pulls back, not wanting to be touched. My hand falls limply back to my side.

 

“Steph, I don’t mean it like.. I’m not- I’m not judging you for what I think you’re thinking. Just… of all the people, why her?” Why did it have to be with the best friend of the one person I disliked?

 

“Jessie!” her teary eyes snap up at me. Whatever anger I had within me disappears at the first drop of her tears.

 

“Oh God, Steph.” I reach for her again, quickly so that she didn’t have time to slip out of my reach, pulling her so that I can properly wrap my arms around her. “I’m sorry. Shh… shh.. don’t cry. I didn’t mean it that way.” I mutter into her ear.

 

Her shoulders quake as she tries to recompose herself. Her arms eventually wrap around my waist and her breathing slows to normal. I keep my arms around her, rubbing her back ever so gently.

 

I see Taeyeon hovering uncertainly beside the table, her eyes staring straight at us, or more specifically at Stephanie’s back as I continue to placate her. She meets my eyes, this time she doesn’t shy away and stare brazenly at me.

 

“You don’t hate me, do you?” she asks softly.

 

“God, no! I can never hate you… And I have nothing against Taeyeon.” I sigh, breaking eye contact with Taeyeon to push Stephanie at arm’s length. “You just.. I was.. I guess you just caught me by surprise. I wasn’t prepared when you said you were dating someone. I’m still not sure how to react. I mean, wow.. Taeyeon huh? How’d that happen?” I put on a grin, hoping she’d go along.

 

The weary look on her face recedes, switching to that of a serene smile. “We were partnered up on a project a few months ago. She was so awkward with me the first few minutes, and then she said something that made me laugh. I can’t even remember what exactly it was she said. Somewhere along the way I began to.. realise my growing fondness for her.”

 

I looked back to Taeyeon and scoff. “She does give off that awkward kid vibe.”

 

“She’s just… you’ll love her Jessie… and Yuri isn’t as bad as you paint her out to be. She’s really chill and down to earth. A very nice girl.”

 

“Wow, and I thought you were dating Taeyeon.”I tell her sarcastically. She laughs, slapping me across my arm. The slight sting on my arm was nothing compared to the fuzzy feeling engulfing me with the broad smile on Stephanie’s face.

 

If she makes Stephanie happy, who am I to get in the way?

 

I guess there was no more reason to avoid the annoying girl.

 

… I just know it was going to be a tiring friendship.

 

 

 

 

 

I look up from my phone, wondering what everyone was laughing about. Stephanie was leaning her weight onto my side, her head resting against my shoulder. I pat the top of her head, tuning into the conversation going on around us. It wasn’t really much of a conversation as everyone was still reeling back from their laughter.

 

I swear they were just talking about fishes. I suspected Stephanie would be the last person to be laughing about it considering she has a weird phobia of fish eyes. I know that as a fact as I made her throw her phone across the room that one time I sent her a photo of fish eyes. I had to pay for it to be fixed. Suffice to say I’ve never done an encore of that.

 

Not wanting to be a buzz kill (again) I made a small nudge with my shoulder, but that only displaced Stephanie’s head and she topples over my back. Failing with gathering information from her I look over to Taeyeon sitting beside her. Her face was completely red, her head tilted back as she leaned against Yoona who was also laughing her heart out. The rest of the girls were in similar conditions or crouched over the table, slamming their hands on the surface. When it seemed that one of them was recovering they’d share a look and redouble in laughter.

 

Whatever the hell I missed must’ve been the joke of the century.

 

I put on a smile, hoping it doesn’t come off as a wry smirk. I feel so out of place with this group. I’ve only agreed to hanging out with them since Stephanie’s developed a habit of sticking to her girlfriend every chance she has. At the rate they were going I wouldn’t be surprised if they already moved on from 2nd base and teetering on the edge of 3rd base. Stephanie may be Catholic, but the girl is extremely touchy.

 

“What’s so funny?” Everyone’s eyes snap to the newcomer. I bite down a groan at the appearance of miss popular.

 

“Yuree-yah! Come, sit.” Stephanie’s voice carries over the group’s greeting, instantly catching miss popular’s attention. She smiles at her toothily, the serial killer kind if you asked me, and she reaches over for a high five.

 

“Ppany-ah, nice to see your pretty face again.” What a flirt.

 

“Yuri-yah, stop flirting with my girl.” Taeyeon recomposes quickly, pulling Stephanie possessively to her side, much to Stephanie’s (and everyone else’s) amusement.

 

“Aw, Tae-Tae, you know I only see you.” Oh my God, here they go again. As much as I love Stephanie, I am so through with the sickly lovey-dovey they love to show off.

 

“Aw, come on.”

 

“Maknae, look away!”

 

“Urgh… I think I’ve got diabetes looking at you two.”

 

“Please don’t eat each other’s mouths. I’m still eating.”

 

My sentiments exactly.

 

“You guys act like you don’t see this every day.” Yuri comments as she takes the empty seat beside me. It’s just my luck to be corralled by the two love-sick fools and the biggest fool in this lot.

 

“Hello Sica, great to see you again.” She grins.

 

I force a smile and nod my head at her. Unfortunately, I’ve promised Stephanie that I would behave. The things I do for this girl. I have to admit, Sica was an unusual nickname. I surprise myself that I don’t hate it since the jock was the one to make it up and stuck to it. Everyone else just went with it, though most of the time they revert back to Jessica or Jessie.

 

“So, what’s going on?” I tune them all out as they begin another round of random discussion. I was never particularly curious about what made them all laugh so much whenever they were together, and now that Stephanie and I’ve been merged into their group I still don’t quite get it. They talked about everything and anything under the sun, nothing that really stood out as extremely funny but they all laughed at it anyway. They were really just a happy-go-lucky bunch.

 

I look to the laughing Stephanie, curled up contently in Taeyeon’s arms and relax. As long as she’s happy, so am I.

 

 

 

 

 

“And that is the difference.” I finish explaining to my two juniors. I look to them to gauge their reactions to my explanation. As expected from the youngest she had a contemplative look to her face, scanning the things I’ve written down seriously. To my other side the second youngest merely smiled and nodded her head, the same reaction one would use when trying to hurry things along to hide the fact that they understood nothing and was too shy to ask a repeat.

 

“Yoona.” I narrow my eyes at her and smirk. “Did you get all that?”

 

Yoona gives me a grimace. “I understand.. like.. 50% out of that.” She admits sheepishly, twiddling her fingers.

 

I nod my head. “That’s good. Which part didn’t you get?”

 

“Um…” she bit her lower lip. “kinda like…” she uses her index finger to make air circles “right around… everything.”

 

“Unnie!” Seohyun reprimands, frowning at the cringing Yoona.

 

“I’m sorry. I tried, really, I just don’t..” she sighs. “English is so hard.”

 

I pat her back reassuringly. “It’s alright. It’s not like you spoke the language since birth. English is a pretty complicated language. A lot of the words sound the same and some are spelled the same but have entirely different meaning when the context is taken into consideration.”

 

“Argh!” Yoona dug her hands through her hair and pressed her forehead against the table. “Unnie, I’m going to fail this. I just know I’m going to fail. I am so dead.”

 

“It’ll be alright, Yoona. We’ll stick to simple sentences and the use of proper grammar for now.”

 

“Like this is a pen?” Yoona flashes a grin.

 

I smile patiently at her. “Let’s try a little harder than that Yoongie. I know you can do this.” I nudge her, encouraging her to look over the points I’ve written. I turn back to Seohyun, the little Einstein, not really expecting her to ask questions.

 

“You got that Hyunnie?” I ask her anyway.

 

“I think I’ll need to practice formulating more complex sentences. Thank you for clarifying my earlier queries, unnie.”

 

I let the back of my knuckles to brush against her smooth, rosy cheek. “It’s no problem Hyunnie. Anytime you don’t get something feel free to come up to me and ask. The same goes for you, Yoongie.”

 

“Yes, unnie.” Yoona grinned, self-consciously tugging at her earlobe.

 

I look between the two of them, feeling this undeniable sense of accomplishment that, of all their seniors, they’ve come to me for tutoring. The couple of months since Stephanie and I joined the group I bonded closest with the two youngest. It felt like I had gained two cute younger sisters. They were very easy to converse with, surprisingly, despite the differing personalities of the two. I can’t get them to drop the honorific’s like I have with Sooyoung, but those two are just the cutest and cuddliest and don’t tense up when I pull them into a side hug.

 

“Are you guys still at it?” Sunny suddenly joins in, peering over Yoona’s shoulder like a proctor checking on the student’s progress. Her eyes widen comically as she makes an exaggeratedly loud gasp and staggers backwards and straight into an unsuspecting giant glutton's arms. Ladled with, what I think is, her second tray of sweets. Sooyoung struggles to balance both the tray and Sunny’s dead weight, grunting rather unladylike in the process.

 

“Soonkyu get off me before my desserts ends up on the floor.” Sunny instantly jumps to the offence after hearing her Korean name, her tongue prodding the inside of her cheeks in irritation.

 

“I told you not to call me that shikshin.”

 

“I’ll stop calling you Soonkyu the moment you stop calling me shikshin.”

 

“I’ll stop calling you shikshin when you stop being one.”

 

“I- aish! Someone say something to her.” I shake my head at the two exchanging banters. It was normal seeing them verbally try to one-up one another. From my count they were tied, the savages. I wasn’t as close to Sunny as I was to Sooyoung, and only because we have the same homeroom, but Sunny and I get each other. She was a lot more level-headed than the others, if she wasn’t part of Yuri’s group (provided we had at least one class together) I think we would have gotten together way earlier.

 

“She got you there, Shikshin.” Hyoyeon butted in, grinning as she threw Sunny a thumb up then stuck her tongue out at the scowling Sooyoung. Hyoyeon was childish, even more so than the second youngest, but she was also on par with Sooyoung and Sunny when it came to wit. Seohyun doesn’t count as the kid was a lot more respectful and mature than the rest of us combined.

 

Yes, I admit, I have my moments of being childish, or more aptly put, bratty. I had prejudged the group and refused to change my mind until a couple of weeks into integrating with the group. They were alright, a little noisy but all right. I still have my preconceptions with Kwon Yuri though.

 

It might just be me, but she is weird as. First week she was almost always present, grinning that infuriating smirk, and then after a month she felt more like a ghost. No one says anything about it, but I see the looks exchanged between the girls when they think Steph and I weren’t looking.

 

Speaking of Stephanie. I rise halfway off my seat, quickly scanning the cafeteria for any signs of my best friend and a certain shorty. When my first search comes up empty I try again.

 

“If you’re looking for the two lovebirds, don’t bother, Jessica.” Sunny says as she returns to her seat beside Hyoyeon. I am momentarily distracted by Hyoyeon’s blonde bun bouncing back and forth as she agrees with Sunny.

 

“I bet you they’re off eating each other’s faces in a closet.” Hyoyeon jokes and hides her grin behind her bottle.

 

“They’re not in a closet.” Sooyoung wags a teaspoon at her, an impish grin brightening up her face. “I mean, not after they came out an all.” The joke gets mixed reactions. Hyoyeon sputters as she nearly chokes on her drink, Yoona tilts her head back as she laughs while Sunny sighs exasperatedly and Seohyun frowns and shakes her head. I settle for a scoff and grin.

 

“What are you guys laughing at?” Ah, I thought my day was going too well.

 

“Unnie!” Yoona squeals as she shoots up from her seat and tackles Yuri into a hug. The girl lifts Yoona off her feet and pretends to throw her to the side, laughing as the younger clung tightly to her.

 

“Finally, I was beginning to think you moved away without telling us.” Sunny gives her a teasing smirk to which Yuri responds with a nervous sounding laugh as she ushers Yoona back to her seat. Unfortunately, Yoona spun around and forcefully shoves Yuri into her vacated seat before motioning for Seohyun to scoot over and squeezing herself right in between the two.

 

It may be just my bad luck, but it seems miss popular has always managed to fit into a spot right next to me. She tilts her head to the side, that infuriating half smirk already in place. “Hi, Sica.”

 

“Hello, Yuri.” I reply curtly. I turn to the rest of the group and flash them a smile. “Sorry guys, but I’ve got to get going.”

 

“Already? But (Yuri)unnie just got here.” Yoona protest.

 

I smile apologetically at her. “I really need to look for Steph. We have some things we need to discuss.” A blatant lie. I could just as easily text or call her, but without her here I find no reason to stick around with Kwon Yuri in the vicinity. I’m afraid her weirdness is contagious. “If you’ll excuse me.”

 

As I get off my chair I hear a small yelp from the side and what might possibly be a low thud of a limb hitting the table. Yuri was on her feet, and I’m sure I must have on a look of complete surprise when she suddenly grabs my wrist. “I can help look for them.”

 

I put on a smile and hope it doesn’t look as strained as I felt it. “No. You don’t-”

 

 “It’s no problem.” She lifts her shoulders in a half-assed shrug. “I don’t have anything better to do anyways.”

 

“Oh, gee. Thanks Yul.” Hyoyeon pips up, snickering when she receives an elbow from Sunny.

 

“Don’t mind us. You two go on ahead.” Sunny grins up at us and motions with her hand for us to go on ahead. I’m kind of getting a wary feeling from that all too bright smile, more so when Sooyoung and Hyoyeon adapt the same grin.

 

“Um..” Whatever I’m about to say dies at the tip of my tongue. Miss popular had just moved her hand from my wrist down to clasp my hand. Her hands are unexpectedly soft, and warm. I’m suddenly self-conscious of how cold mine were. Stephanie has always been complaining about them when I grab her hand or arm. I can’t help that my blood supply is needed elsewhere and keeps my limbs at a lower temperature than I’d like. This time though, I wished the heat that was starting to crawl at my back would redirect to my hands.

 

Yuri looks down at our hands, brows slightly raised.

 

“I-it’s normal.” Did I just stutter? Why did I do that? I bite the inside of my cheeks, swallowing to make sure I didn’t have anything in my throat, and nod my head to the side. “Let’s get going, bell’s gonna ring soon.”

 

I had hoped she’d let go, but she takes my inactiveness as an invitation and only tightens her hold. She gives a quick parting wave at our friend before pulling me through the semi-crowded place towards the exit. It was a lot easier to get from point A to point B when the crowd parted like the red sea as soon as they saw miss popular approaching. I didn’t think she had this kind of influence. And it wasn’t like those movies where the students part out of fear or clamoured to get a good look at her or attempted to talk to her; they just see her, move to the side and nod their heads or say a greeting as she passed. And she’d return the favour without any hint of hesitance or arrogance.

 

Hate to admit it, but that was actually pretty cool.

 

“Where should we start?” She asks as soon as we’re out of the loud enclosure of the cafeteria and out to the not so open space of the empty corridor. “Look in the bathrooms and check if they’re making out?” She giddily suggested. I scrunch my nose at the thought.

 

“I don’t want to think of my best friend in that kind of situation, thank you very much.” I deadpan. I see them being cringe-worthily sweet at a day to day basis already. I don’t need an extra push to puke out my guts. I don’t need them rubbing their love in my face.

 

She giggles idiotically, squeezing my hand in hers. “Yeah. Taengoo would probably rage at me for disturbing them. You know what they say about short people.” She wriggles her brows suggestively. Not completely sure what she’s trying to suggest though.

 

“Not really.” I say honestly.

 

The smile on her face widens. “That they’re little spit fires because they’re closer to hell.” There’s a twinkle in her eyes as she glances down at me. She exaggerates it making sure I don’t miss this suggestion. I yank my hand out of hers, gritting my teeth into a tight smile. Her giggles take on a more evil route, sounding more and more like the old cartoons that used to show on TV when the networks didn’t have sticks up their asses.

 

I roll my eyes and shake my head, walking ahead of her. I hear her footsteps thudding behind me not too long after. I hope she trips.

 

“Come on, Sica. I was kidding.” She jogs up ahead, turning and switches to walking backwards when she gets a good enough distance between us. I try to ignore her, brush past her even, but she just seems to be one step quicker, like a fly buzzing around you making loops around your attempts at swatting it away. “I’m sure they’re just hanging out somewhere, keeping it PG. Taeng and Steph are not those kinds of girls… I think..”

 

I stop walking pressing my hand on my forehead, just above my eyes. How the hell is she this dense?

 

“Why.. are you still here? Don’t you have somewhere else to be?” The question falls fast my mouth before my mind can fully process how scathing it really was.

 

And yet somehow my tone flies over her head and she shrugs her shoulders. “Let’s just say there’s no other place I’d rather be.”

 

“Great.” I sigh, rolling my eyes for good measure. She’s either too dense to notice or just doesn’t care. Either way, I don’t think I’ll be losing her anytime soon. “You know what, whatever. I’m going back to class.”

 

“You going to sleep again? Oh, do you mind if I hang with you?”

 

“Would you leave if I said no?”

 

Her grin only widens as she shakes her head. Why did I even ask? “I’ll guard you while you sleep. That way, no one would stare creepily at you.”

 

“We’re in school… pretty sure I’m safe here. Also, why would anyone watch me sleep in the first place?”

 

“Well, have you seen yourself? You’re gorgeous. I’d be surprised if no one’s even thought of doing it.” That shuts me up. My cheeks burn at the compliment and as much as I don’t want to admit it, my stomach comes alive with wild fluttering and I’m pretty sure even the tips of my ears were red now.

 

“Whatever.” I scoff, turning away from her to salvage my image. I can’t let her sway me so easily.

 

“So, I’m guarding you, yeah? I promise I won’t let anything funny happen to you while you nap.”

 

“Hard to believe a known prankster saying that.”

 

“Oh, you can believe me. You have my word. Ask any of the girl’s, I honour all my promises. Besides,” at this point, she stops speaking. I pass her a wary glance back to find her grinning disarmingly at me. “I wouldn’t want anything to happen to my future wife.”

 

Her coy smile turns into a small shy one in time as her cheeks put on a rosy hue and she lets her eyes fall to the ground.

 

Wait. What?!

 

Oh. My. God. Did she just confess to me? Wait, what am I even supposed to say? I mean, wife is such a sure future.. why am I even considering it? Oh My God!

 

“Haha~ you should've seen the look on your face!” she bursts out laughing a moment later, all traces of shyness replaced by.. was that forced glee or just my mentality wanting to believe that? Why am I even thinking that? I should be glad. I didn’t want any more unnecessary awkwardness between us. I was already getting along with everyone else. Just forget it Jessica, ride with it.

 

“Whatever.” Stupid Kwon giving me unnecessary anxiety.

 

“My offer still stands. I'll be the best bodyguard you'd ever seen.” I roll my eyes, brushing past her to the direction of my next class.

 

“I'd be asleep.”

 

“And you'll have the best nap ever.”

 

“Oh, my God. If I agree will you please stop talking?” Silence greets me, but when I chance a look back I see her grinning face as she quietly trails after me.

 

A tiring friendship indeed.