Good Deed

Scribbles

I don’t know what made me write this. It’s been sitting in my one-shot folder for over a year. I must have been high on sugar when I made this.

 

 

 

“Are you sure you’re alright with this?” Sooyoung asked as she fiddled with the corners of her small, leather wallet. She glanced over Yuri to Yoona who was too busy watching the vendor aunty prepare three servings of the tteokbokki as if what she was doing was magic (blink once and it might all disappear). She could even see the corners of her lips twitch in anticipation.

 

She leaned closer to Yuri “You know we can always go to the next stall. Maybe they’ll have one that’s a little mild.”

 

“It’s alright.” Yuri waved her off. She reached over, slinging her arm around her partner in crime and patted her head fondly. “Yoongie wants to eat ahjumma’s special spicy tteokbokki, right?”

 

“Yes! Ahjumma’s tteokbokki is the best. Totally the best! Nothing compares!” Yoona gave a fist pump at every cheer earing a hearty laugh from the aunty manning the cart.

 

“Aigoo~ you girls and your sweet talks.” Yoona furiously shook her head, a small pout beginning to form.

 

“It’s true! I mean, if it wasn’t good I wouldn’t keep coming back!”

 

“Yah! Im Yoona, you little runt. Control your mouth, you’re too frank!” Sooyoung scolded, reaching out to knock some manners into the younger girl, courtesy of her fist. The first knock hit the top of Yoona’s head dead center, the second missed as the younger girl slid up to Yuri’s side for protection.

 

“Ah, unnie why?” Yoona whined cutely, jutting her bottom lip and widening her eyes. She tilted her head down to reach maximum cuteness as she hid behind Yuri’s frame. “Unnie, I’m just telling the truth.”

 

“Oh, don’t beat the poor girl. Don’t you know honesty is the best policy?” The older woman scolded Sooyoung lightly. She began picking up a few more of the spicy rice cake, piling them onto each plate. “Now stop fighting and eat up. I don’t want to see any leftovers from any of you.” The woman cheerily said.

 

“See I told you she was the best!” Yoona half screamed as she quickly began going through her plate. Sooyoung rolled her eyes as she passed their payment over.

 

“Really ahjumma, this troublemaker needs to learn to hold her tongue. We always get into trouble because of her carelessness.”

 

“I could say the same to you.” Yuri pipped up, playfully shoving Sooyoung’s side. “I can’t believe you gave away my number for a favor!”

 

“I’m just good at negotiating, Kwon. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.” Sooyoung sniffed, popping a rice cake in . “Now eat your tteokbokki. You’ve made your grave now lie in it.”

 

Yuri gives her a wary smile, eyes falling on the orangey (closer to a dark red by now really) pile of rice and fish cakes. She swallows the saliva accumulating in , as if her body was subconsciously preparing her for the burn, picking one up with her chopsticks. She gives the aunty an overly enthusiastic smile before taking a subtle deep breath and consuming the piece.

 

 

 

 

Set up in front of the tv, back against the couch with a joystick in hand and her right thumb continuously tapping against the x button Tiffany let out a little growl of irritation as the screen flashed “you lose” in an animated gore font. She eyed her avatar, kneeling down in defeat at the background, before sighing and pressing the start button to reload her quest.

 

“Lost again?” Taeyeon commented, giving the TV a quick glance before her eyes returned to the power point presentation she was working on. Tiffany made a noise, eyes glued to the TV, her button smashing sounding a lot louder and shorter in between. Taeyeon cast the controller in the girl’s hand a wary look, hoping it wouldn’t break under the harsh treatment, otherwise she was going to have to say goodbye to a month’s worth of gummies to pay for that.

 

“Can you please be a little gently with that? They’re not exactly cheap you know.” Taeyeon said, wincing when Tiffany let out another growl and slammed the controller against her thighs. Another announcement of her defeat was blown up on the screen for everyone to see. In this case, everyone was Taeyeon and an infuriated Tiffany.

 

“I give up!” Tiffany sighed as she chucked the controller on the carpet in front of her. Taeyeon winced, straightening up on her seat to check the controller for any visual damage.

 

“Can you please not treat the controller harshly?” Tiffany gave her a dismissive wave of the hand, leaning the back of her neck over the couch. She gave Taeyeon a crooked smile.

 

“How’s the power point?” she asks, changing the subject.

 

Taeyeon sighs, rearranging the glasses that had slipped down the bridge of her nose. She flicks through the various notes scattered to her side. The different handwritings were giving her a headache. Just when she was getting used to one style it was time to switch. Tiffany’s calming hand on her thighs reminds her of the girl and she lets loose another sigh. “Getting there.”

 

A click of the door followed by shuffling sounds caught both girls attention. Taeyeon raised a brow at the funny way Yuri waddled into view. Jessica followed not too far behind.

 

Before she could comment on it Tiffany was already up. “Yuri? What happened to you? You’re looking a little too pale.”

 

“What’s wrong with this one?” Taeyeon frowned, eyes darting to the deadpan look Jessica was wearing, not missing the eye roll when Tiffany came to Yuri’s aid.

 

Leaving the motherly girl to look after the struggling Yuri, Jessica set her sights on the couch, plopping right beside Taeyeon. Ignoring the curious look directed at her she looked through the open document on the screen, nodding her head in approval. “As expected, you don’t fail me Taengoo.”

 

Taeyeon groaned. “Why am I the only one finishing this?”

 

“Because you’re too OCD about how everything should be so we left you to finish everything up. Not a bad choice. We’ll totally ace this with your obsessiveness.”

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. “I’m not obsessive. You guys just at compiling.” Jessica snorted at the response, reaching for the remote to switch channels. “Anyway, what’s up with her”? Taeyeon repeated, jerking her head to the duo carefully making their way to the dining table.

 

Jessica tore her gaze away from the TV long enough to give Taeyeon the you-don’t-want-to-know look, breaking eye contact to watch as Tiffany pulled a chair from the table as soon as they arrived. Tiffany was reaching for Yuri’s arm when the dark color of her bottom caught her eye. She turned her gaze to Yuri who was staring blankly at the chair, not making any movement to ease down. “Ei, Jessica, why is Yuri’s wet?”

 

“Yah Jung Sooyeon, what did you do to her?”

 

“Why do you assume I did anything to her that she didn’t want? I was just helping.” Jessica responded uninterestedly.

 

Taeyeon’s frown deepened. Knowing Jessica for years she knew the girl doesn’t lie unless the situation warranted it. And even then she would simply twist the truth or be incredibly vague about it.

 

“Well, what kind of help did you do? She looks like she’s seen a ghost!”

 

“It’s okay, ppany-ah.. I did ask her to do it.” Yuri admitted weakly, shakily taking a step forward to place her hands on the table for balance, completely ignoring the chair.

 

“What did you do?” Taeyeon asks again, voice serious. She roughly grabs the remote from Jessica’s lax grip, finally grabbing her attention.

 

Jessica huffs in annoyance, irately pointing her finger at Yuri. “She asked for it. I do not want to talk about it.”

 

“Should we take you to the hospital?” Tiffany asks softly, bringing the chair closer to Yuri. Just as she was about to push the girl down by her shoulder Jessica’s clipping warning stops her in her act.

 

“I wouldn’t sit her down if I were you.”

 

“Okay, now I’m serious. Jung Jessica, what did you do?” Taeyeon says, switching off the TV and raising the remote over her head as Jessica throws her a glare.

 

“I told you I do not want to talk about it. She did that to herself anyway.” Jessica huffs, crossing her arms over her chest and letting her back fall with a light thump against the couch's backrest in annoyance.

 

“Yah! Jung Jessica Sooyeon, tell me what you did to poor Yuri right now.”

 

“Did you just call me by my full name?” Jessica asks, raising a brow critically at the frowning Tiffany.

 

Tiffany ignores her reply. With an unusually straight face she crosses her own arms over her chest, brows drawing together in warning. “What did you do?”

 

Jessica lets out a long growl, hands shooting to her hair, raking through the soft strands as she grits her teeth. “I stuck an ice cube up her . There, you happy?” she finally admits, roughly grabbing the remote from Taeyeon’s suddenly lax grip.

 

“Y-you what?”

 

Taeyeon gently puts the laptop aside and moves away from Jessica, making sure her was nowhere near the ice princess’ reach. “Sica-yah..” she starts tentatively, scooching to the furthest corner of the couch, her slightly climbing up the armrest. “when we called you an ice princess… we were only joking. You didn’t really need to freeze us inside out.”

 

A look of disgust and hurt flash through Jessica’s face, reaching for a throw pillow she launched it at Taeyeon’s face. “Oh My God! Stupid over there decided to eat extra spicy food cause she wanted to celebrate Yoona and Sooyoung acing their subject. She was crying all morning, withering on the floor like she was going to die if I didn’t do as she asked. I don’t stick ice up people for fun, what the hell is wrong with you!”

 

Silence greets her outburst as her words sink into their mind. Tiffany and Taeyeon exchange glances before moving their eyes to Yuri’s reddening cheeks. She manages a shaky smile as she straightens up.

 

“I think I need another ice.