Me and Mrs. Jung

Scribbles

Yuri fixed the lapels of her black trench coat, brushing the few white dog fur that had stubbornly clung onto the fabric. She checked the time on her old wrist watch. 6:24, it read.

 

Shifting the weight of her gym bag on her shoulder she took a step forward, pushing past the glass door that led to the warm interior of her favourite coffee shop. The barista lifted her head from the magazine she was reading, nodding her head in greeting with the signature small smile Yuri knew was just for politeness sake. Yuri nodded back, making her way to the counter.

 

“The same today?” The barista asked with the fake, cheery tone she used since the first time she served her.

 

Yuri forced a grin on her weary face. “Yeah, but with an extra shot on the mocaccino.”

 

The barista made a low whistle. “Long day ahead?”

 

Yuri jerked her head in an affirmative. “Going to be.”

 

“That’s..” Yuri didn’t let the barista continue, slipping a ten dollar bill and eighty cents onto the counter and turned to drag her feet to the secluded corner table that was left unoccupied for most of the day. Slipping the strap down her arm she tossed the bag under the table, dropping onto the chair tiredly. With a gratifying huff she let her head rest over the table and shut her eyes for a short rest.

 

Soft music played over head and Yuri chose to focus on that and drowned out the low mumbles of the other café patrons. She took in the comforting scent of freshly extracted coffee as the milk wand began to spit and gurgle the milk it was swirling. It didn’t take long after that the barista came up to her table, placing her mocaccino beside her and the other cup to the opposite unoccupied space. She forced her head up long enough to thank the barista and gave her the same polite smile she flashed at everyone. When the barista left her smile dropped. She checked her watch again, bouncing her leg impatiently.

 

“I hope that coffee is still warm.” A light voice had Yuri’s leg still. A smile quickly found its way to her face, her earlier fatigue slipping away like a distant dream as she beamed up at the woman smirking at her.

 

“The only time it’s cold is if you come late.” Yuri lightly teased, grinning cheekily at glare and the soft tongue click the woman gave her.

 

“You know I have to finish things at the office before I come down here.” The woman said, slipping gracefully onto the opposite seat.

 

“I know.” Yuri reached her hand out and placed it over the woman’s. “Late or not, I’m glad you’re here Sica.” And she was. No one knew where Jessica would disappear to at the end of the day. Not until she resurfaces back at her more than modest apartment complex in the high class part of the town. And no one will know where she went off to, if she played her cards right and kept her work her priority before she went out to play.

 

“I’ll always find a way to get here.” Jessica turned her nose up haughtily. “This is my favourite time of the day after all.” She shifted her hand under Yuri’s, slipping her fingers through the gaps between Yuri’s. Levelling her gaze she smiled warmly, caressing the flesh down Yuri’s index with her thumb. “How was your day?”

 

“Better, now that you’re here.” Yuri ignored the expected eye roll. “What about you?”

 

“Good. Even better now,” she paused, using her free hand to raise the cup of coffee to her lips. She took a careful sip, letting the hot, bitter-sweet taste coat her tongue. She hummed her approval, taking another longer sip before gently putting the cup down. “with good coffee,” she looked up to the expectant look Yuri gave her, nearly laughing when Yuri lifted her brows for her to continue. “and great company.” She acceded, squeezing the hand in hers.

 

Yuri’s smile was as wide as it would go. She let her leg bush up against Jessica’s, tracing the contour of her leg muscle as her leg went higher, brushing against the fabric of Jessica’s skirt. “Did I tell you how gorgeous you look in that red pencil skirt?”

 

“Only every time I wear it.” Jessica responded equally, not showing any other reaction with Yuri’s daring foot play. They both know no one would see or notice them all the way at the back, but best be careful. “I can’t believe you’re still wearing that awful thing.” Jessica pointed at Yuri’s trench coat, trying to stir away from Yuri’s teasing. “That is so out of style.”

 

Undeterred Yuri continued her little foot play, putting in a little more pressure yet still keeping it innocent. “It keeps me warm. And better yet, it keeps you warm when you need it.”

 

“Cheeky girl.” Jessica harrumphed, turning her head away. Yuri suspects she did it to hide the growing blush on her cheeks. Jessica did like her legs being caressed, one of her hot spots. Yuri stilled her ministration, bringing back her foot to the floor. Her smile falls and her eyes fall onto her untouched cup. She reached for it, carefully bringing it up to her face to sniff.

 

“When are you going again?” She asks, taking her first sip of her coffee. She swirled the dark liquid in and grimaced a little. The coffee seems to taste a little too bitter today.

 

Or maybe that was just her.

 

Jessica turned back to face her. “Day after tomorrow. I’ll be back, just three short days and we’ll see each other again.”

 

“But I won’t be able to see, hear or talk to you for those three days.” Yuri brings her cup down, letting her eyes trail over to their clasped hands. She held on a little tighter, careful not to hurt Jessica. “I’ll miss you.”

 

“Oh, Yuri-yah. I’ll be back.” Jessica reached with her free hand to lovingly caress the back of Yuri’s hand.

 

“And what about him?” She could feel Jessica freeze.

 

Jessica’s husband had always been a topic that both women tried to avoid bringing up. It always left a bad taste in Yuri’s mouth whenever she mentioned his name. On the other hand, Jessica would furl in silent fury whenever either of them brought up either her marriage or her parents into their conversations. To say that her relationship with her family was rocky is an understatement. Ever since the arranged(forced) marriage she had been tolerating the cold living conditions with her husband. In turn, her husband would leave her be. Though there were times, particularly during a stressful day, when the man seems to find delight in annoying Jessica until she snapped and stormed out of their shared condominium for a long drive. What more, she hated the fact that her father held her husband in higher regard than his own daughter, easily siding with the man over her own opinions. Her father always did want a son, the best next thing was marrying off her daughter to the man he thought would be the best choice as a successor.

 

“What about him?” Jessica nearly hisses. The usual warm look Yuri is used to receiving turns a little icy, her lips tightening into a thin line. Yuri knows she has ruined their comfortable atmosphere, but she couldn’t help but ask. She kept her tight grip over Jessica’s, not wanting the woman to pull away, in case she felt irritated at her for bringing it up.

 

Yuri knew the consequences when she agreed to this set up, but still, she felt cheated, knowing that the place and person Jessica went back to was not a home. She could have provided her with what the woman truly deserved, a warm home, loving conditions and her unwavering loyalty. But in the real world it all boiled down to money and reputation, something she didn’t have in the past. And then there was the stigma of the gender roles. It was a man to a woman, not man to a man or woman to a woman. To the cold business world, love did not matter as much as wealth and recognition. Jessica’s father had always been the typical cold Asian businessman and as much as Yuri wanted to curse the man’s existence, she couldn’t. Not when he had brought Jessica to her. But she hated Mr. Jung for forcing his own daughter to marry a man she did not love and who didn’t treat her right.

 

“He’s going.. with you.” It wasn’t so much a question as it was a statement.

 

“It’s his obligation.” Jessica’s voice was clipped, her annoyance clearly shown in her face and the way she was trying to take her hand back. Yuri kept her hold on her, bring her other hand to sandwich Jessica’s.

 

“But, you’re more than good enough to settle whatever the problem is. I know you could do it in a day if you wanted to.”

 

“Flattery will get you nowhere here Yuri. It’s father’s decision.”

 

“You’re practically the CEO.”

 

“And he has as much power as I currently do.”

 

“Only because of his title!” Yuri said, frustrated. She finally let Jessica’s hand go, only so that she could massage the growing pressure against her temples.

 

“Yuri.” Jessica sighed. She pinched the bridge of her nose, taking a calming breath in. “Please, just drop it. I just want my hours with you without any thoughts of him. I already get enough of that every other time of the day.”

 

“Sorry.” Yuri apologised, dropping her hands back on the table. “I’m sorry, it’s just… sigh..” she shook her head. “Never mind, forget I said anything about... So, Hong Kong, huh?” Yuri propped her arm up, using it to keep her head steady. “I envy you. I can’t imagine me going farther than two towns over.”

 

“I’ve invited you the last time I went south for a meeting.” Jessica answered, the edge out of her voice, glad for the change of topic. She leaned back, stretching her legs out until it touched the fabric of Yuri’s jeans.

 

Yuri gave a crooked smile. “You know I couldn’t go, not with it being last minute and all. I can’t suddenly leave the lab without getting someone to replace me.”

 

“I know.” Jessica sighed. She leaned forward, mimicking Yuri’s position. “So, how about we plan a getaway? Just the both of us, without cell phones or annoying people looking for us. Somewhere we can just relax and be ourselves without all the trouble of this ridiculous game of hide and seek.” She reached out, touching the back of her hand at Yuri’s cheek. Yuri instinctively leaned her head at the touch, eager for more contact.

 

Jessica chuckled, turning her hand so that her palm fitted the half of Yuri’s jaw. “You are just too cute, like a little puppy.”

 

“I never thought I’d hear you complimenting a puppy.” Yuri ran her hand down Jessica’s arm, then up her shoulder and carefully hooking the loose stands of hair over her ear.

 

“I don’t dislike puppies. I just don’t want to be the one cleaning up its poop and pee.” Jessica scrunched her nose at the thought. Yuri laughed.

 

“I do whatever you dislike doing, anyway.”

 

“All the more reason I should keep you close.”

 

“You make me sound like a thing you can possess.”

 

“But you are mine.” Something flashed in Jessica’s eyes. Yuri swallowed at the sudden pressure against the middle of her thighs.

 

“You’re beginning to sound selfish again.” Yuri pointed out, trying to subtly shake the pressure off.

 

Jessica smirks, gently raising her foot higher Yuri’s thigh. “Shouldn’t I be? With you at least, I want to be selfish.”

 

“That is a very y declaration, Mrs. Jung.” Yuri says a little shakily. She her dry lips, swallowing the tightness around . Her body was beginning to burn with the addictive high she knew she was going to be fully immersed in soon. The little guilt that had always hung around was quickly drowned with the need to take what could have been hers, should have been hers.

 

Yuri knew well what they were doing is wrong. But morals be damned, they were already too far into it to let it go. There was no more turning back, not for her.