Dongsaeng

Scribbles

A/N: A short shot of the favorite dongsaengs.

 

“Will you stop making that face?” Jessica complains from her spot directly across me. If her brows furrow any further.. I can clearly imagine her with a unibrow and have to bite my bottom lip from busting into a giggling fit. It backfires on me and a loud, unrestrained snort blows out of my nose and catches the attention of our other two companions.

 

“I’m sorry. Don’t mind me.” I say, quickly hiding the smile on my face. I didn’t need anyone probing me because I was sure as hell wasn’t going to keep the image to myself. Jessica wouldn’t be too pleased if the mental image goes around our group and ruins her perfect princess image.

 

She continues to eye me suspiciously. I put on my best innocent smile, trying to think of anything else except the unibrow. Her eyes narrow the moment I feel my chin quiver and I quickly reach for the plate of sliced kiwi and popped one into my mouth. Best way to distract anyone from anything, I’d say. Not even the unnie’s can resist plates of good food… For most of the time.

 

“Urgh! What can I get for you to stop eating that fruit?”

 

“But, unnie!” I whine. “It’s so good! If you would just try it.” I say, pushing the plate towards her. Normally I wouldn’t even offer, but I know Jessica hates this after claiming it was picked from Satan’s garden of woe.

 

“Get that thing away from me!” She snaps, pushing it away, a look of utter disgust on her face as she presses against Tiffany’s side. Tiffany giggles as she throws her arms around Jessica and looked sort of in between trapping her or helping her out. She eventually ends up pushing back and Jessica’s whines take on a higher pitch and her struggles redouble.

 

“It’s a kiwi, Jess. It’s not going to bite back.”

 

“It smells!”

 

“That wasn’t what you said the last time someone spritzed the classroom with kiwi scented perfume.” Sunny chimes in. She reaches for a piece, popping it into and happily chews. “Besides, it’s good for you, you picky eater.”

 

“How is that good for me? I’ve only had that once in my life and I’m still fine without it.”

 

“It’ll stop you complaining about constipation if you’d eat more fruits. Ow!” Sunny curses under her breath as she brings her shin over her chair, furiously rubbing at the spot she was kicked at. The triumphant smirk on Jessica’s face doesn’t stay for long and she returns back to frowning at me.

 

“Stop eating it if it hurts you so much.”

 

I retract my tongue back into my mouth, grimacing as the sensitive sides press against the enamels of my teeth and provoke the slight burning sensation. The excess salivation doesn’t help as every time I swallow my sensitive tongue brushes against something.

 

“I can’t help it. It’s so good.” I reach for another piece, only to pull my hand back when Jessica smacks it away. She lifts the plate up and away, placing it closer to Sunny, too far from my reach.

 

“Unnie!” I pout at her.

 

“Don’t you pout at me. You need serious help, Yoona.” Tiffany laughs at the statement while Sunny gives me a knowing look. I can’t help that I like food and eating. It’s not like I’m gaining too much weight anyway.

 

“It’s just fruit. You guys always said to eat healthier options.”

 

“What made you think eating five pieces of kiwi was a good idea?” Jessica shoots back, her brows raised in the way that she knows she’s won the argument.

 

I huff in defeat, sticking my tongue out to cool down the burning sensation. Seriously, my tongue is not fairing very well with how much I ate. It feels so raw, I think I’m down to a new layer.

 

“Just as I thought.” Jessica smirks. “You know, if you’d just stopped eating for a few-”

 

Whatever wonderful insight Jessica wanted to impart onto my (frankly) uncaring self was gloriously cut short when Sunny flung her body over Tiffany, pushed a piece of kiwi into Jessica’s open mouth and squashed together in what looked like a tight one-handed grip.

 

I’m sure there was a lot of flailing and groans of pain involved for all three parties, but I was no idiot. I had taken the distraction as my cue to get away from the study group I was forced to partake, with the plate of leftover kiwi of course. Honestly, whoever thought about studying in the school cafeteria was a smart thing? Everyone was talking over everyone else that it was impossible to even hear myself think, much less retain boring information when a table down two girls were gossiping about some guy named Brad or whatever, who had an impressive looking stick judging by the tight sweatpants he wore to practice. I’m pretty sure the dude’s gay if he really flaunted his junk around other guys.

 

Also food. Because food trumps everything else.

 

I digress.

 

“Hey, unnie.” Truthfully, plopping down the next available space I could find after getting out of the cafeteria was not one of my brightest ideas. I don’t really think things through often, more of the act now think later.

 

“What’re you doing eating on the floor like a hobo? You know that’s what tables are for.. Like, there’s a bunch of them if you’d just walk in the cafeteria.”

 

I sigh. “There’s nothing that escapes you, huh, Seohyun-ah?”

 

She grins and shakes her head cutely. “Not really much, no.”

 

This cutie is really asking for a good decking. Problem is, I’m weak against innocent cuties. So instead, I pat the space beside me which she gladly plops her bum on. Thank God for civilian Wednesday.

 

“So, unnie, mind telling me why we’re hanging out just a few feet outside the cafeteria?”

 

I reach over to pat whatever I could of her bum. Surprisingly she’s hasn’t shied away from these joking gestures for a while. Maybe we really are rubbing off on her. I can’t tell if that’s a good thing considering she was the only one that actually thought ahead. But she’s not a stick in the mud anymore.. Is this her way of making us realise how much of a bad influence we really are in hopes to change our ways? If so then she is way smarter than we’ve already given her credit for. Our jokes of her being the future president might not be so off point.

 

“Unnie?” Seohyun nudges me by the shoulder.

 

“Sorry. Got lost in thought for a moment there.”

 

“Hm.. must happen often.” She comments passingly, plucking a slice of kiwi from the plate. Her face lights up as she carefully chews the piece. I bet she’d look like a light bulb if this was sweet potatoes instead. Now that I think about it, she does remind me of that pink sweet potato picture I’ve seen around the internet. Speaking of internet…

 

“I think the golden ones are better, but these are still really delicious. They’d go really well in a fruit salad.”

 

“Ha! Typical Seohyun input. By the way, did you just passively call me stupid?”

 

She turns to me, a brow raised and a patient smile in place. “Of course not, unnie. I would never call you stupid”

 

“I have a feeling you’ve just mentally added ‘to your face’ in that.”

 

“Now you’re overthinking things, unnie.” She throws her arms around me, pressing her cheek to my shoulder. Honestly, she’s got a really strong grip. Recently, she’s been hugging our shorter unnies and swinging them around like ragdolls. If I didn’t know any better she’s covertly trying to challenge her authority over us simple minded folks. “I swear, I would never think of you that way.”

 

“Does that mean I’m your favourite, then?” I pout at her, hoping to get her to slip up. It was no secret Seohyun was the baby of our group, which in turn made her the favourite. She has never vocally mentioned any favourites, being the good (or smart) junior she is to avoid conflict. Imagine the smartest and careful junior, the one person that has never fully agreed 100%(she’s never verbally claimed it but we all knew she wasn’t fully on board) on any of our life choices, naming a favourite unnie. That person would have absolute bragging rights.

 

“Unnie,” she squeezes my middle a little tighter, just enough to be a little uncomfortable. “I like you all equally. Really, of all the unnies I know you seven are my favourite unnies. There’re no other groups I would rather spend my free time with.” Damn, she’s good. But it has never stopped me from trying before.

 

“Is that because we’re all just as dumb and impressionable and you look good berating our choices?” Pat on the back for that perfectly constructed reason. I’m sure it has been in our heads, but the other girls will kill me for actually verbalising that. Here’s to high hopes that Seohyun will not backstab me and gossip this one-on-one to the others.

 

“Unnie, don’t be so hard on yourself. You’re all capable of making good choices, and after all these years I’ll be behind you whatever your choices may be.” There is no getting one up on this girl.

 

One last ditch attempt. I nudge her with my shoulders a bit, just enough to get her to look at me, and put on my best smile. “Seohyun-ah, you can be honest with me. Go ahead, I’ll give you this time to call me stupid or whatever you want. I won’t get angry, I promise.”

 

She blinks at me, looking as innocent as the day I dragged her into this little ragtag group of ours. She sighs, letting her head fall back on my shoulder. “Unnie…” her arms wrap around one of mine, hugging it to her body. “I love you, unnie.”

 

“But..” I encourage her.

 

She shakes her head. “Nothing else. I just love you, that’s all.”

 

Oh great. This is just the perfect Seohyun ending, where she talks her way safely through and make me feel horrible instead. No winning against her, unfortunately, not after all these years. “Aish.. Seohyun-ah, you’re making me feel bad. How are you so adept at doing this?” I grumble the last part.

 

She giggles, obviously hearing my complaint. She reaches for a piece of kiwi fruit, extending her hand up to my lips. I take it without further questions and wallow in my own self-pity.

 

“I love you, unnie.” She giggles. I roll my eyes at the cute display.

 

“Yeah, yeah. I love you too.”

 

I will get her next time. But I’ll give this one to my smart little dongsaeng.