3. part

A little thing called love / Only the greatest love ever

3.

''I told you to go to bed so don't whine.''-mom said from above. The sun was killing my eyes. ''Come on get up.''-she said. I sigh and kick the sheet with my feet.

''I'm up.''-I say not quite up yet.

''What were you even doing on the balcony in the middle of the night?''-she asked. God I hoped it was a dream. I guess not.

''Nothing. Spying on neighbors.''-I say. It was true.

''Anything worth mentioning?''-she asked.

''Not yet.''-well that was a lie.

''I think they have someone new in the apartment next to us.''-mom said.

''I wouldn't know.''-I say and get up. I half blindly step toward the bathroom. I wash my teeth and face and put on some BB cream. No way he's gonna see this face unprepared. I don't want him to die young.

''Are you putting on makeup? For beach?''-mom said while she passed the bathroom.

''No, maybe. A little okay.''-I admit. ''I am not gonna be diving anyway.''-I say.

''Cut it out. Why the hell would you wear makeup to the beach?''-she asked leaning on the door frame.

''Mom I am still boyfriendless.''-I say correcting my brows.

''I thought you weren't looking.''-she said. I paused.

''I am not. But that doesn't mean I can't look good.''-I say.

''Okay whatever.''-she said turning away. I just add some blush and I am done. Even I am not that crazy to do a full face makeup.

I push my sunglasses up my nose and look around. I walked like a spy but I felt like an idiot. It was inevitable that we see each other sooner or later but I would rather later. Mom takes off the big hat I was wearing.

''Hey! Give it back.''-I say chasing her.

''What are you wearing it for? You never wear it.''-she says dodging me.

''Well I am now. Give it to me.''-I say jumping her.

''Stop it. Hanna your bag is...''-she started and I realized too late that my bag was open. I jumped off my mother and contents of the bag came spilling. Sunscreens, my phone, earphones, water bottles, wallets, period pads and tampons, everything. I crouched down and started picking it up. ''You're an idiot.''-my mom said and walked away.

''Real nice mom!''-I yell back. I stand up and walk toward the beach. ''Wait for me!''-I yell to her. I stop for a second to put on my hat which she left hanging on the yard gate and hear footsteps from the road. I pull the hat low on my face and continue to walk quickly without looking around. Footsteps were closer and closer and my heart was beating faster. What now? What do I possibly owe to him now? I was on the edge of my nerves.

''Excuse me.''-a voice came from behind.

''What?''-I croaked, mentally cursing myself. He backed off a little.

''There is something...''-he said looking uncomfortable. ''There's this thing...''-he couldn't say it.

''What? What thing?''-I ask pleading. Chang Wook snorted a bit. He looked flustered for a second but he shook his head and it was gone. He smirked.

''You got a damn tampon hanging out your bag.''-he said and a circled me to continue on his way. I stood frozen. His sumo friend passed me and said hi. Great. I look at my bag and sure enough, stuck on the zipper was a tampon hanging by a thread. I laughed out loud and some people gave me a strange look. I rip off the tampon and attempt to throw it at his head knowing I would miss. But of course. I didn't ing miss. The tampon hit him straight in the head and he turned scratching the spot. He looked at the tampon on the ground and then at me. ''What is your problem?''-he asked approaching me.

''M.. my p-problem?''-I ask.

''Yes, your p-problem?''-he asked again. He really was a celebrity douche wasn't he.

''I don't know. What the is your problem? You have been rude to me all the time and try to­ embarrass me.''-I spit toward him.

''Well you're just talented at annoying me.''-he said.

''Oh really? We share the same talent.''-I say. ''Self-centered .''-I whisper to myself as I pass him.

''I heard that.''-he said.

''I wasn't so quiet now was I?''-I say back at him.

''Be careful there's a rock in front of you, we wouldn't want you to break your nose or anything.''-he said pointing to a pebble smaller than my nail. I wanted to turn and smack him with my bag but as soon as I did a speeding car went by us and he grabbed my elbow pushing me aside. ''Look in front of you dammit.''-he said. His grip was firm on my elbow and his eyes bore fire.

''Thank...''-I didn't finish because he turned around and left.

''He's right you know.''-mom said standing near us.

''About what? Mom be on my side.''-I say huffing.

''About looking to the front you smart-.''-she said.

''So what? He's a jerk.''-I say.

''He saved you though.''-she said.

''Well I wanted to say thank you but he left. He doesn't care.''-I say.

''I don't know anything.''-she says.

''Damn right you don't.''-I say and she tries to elbow me but I dodge it.

We arrive to the beach and set the towels down. I put on my water shoes and enter the cold water. I still can't get used to water temperature. But it would be even worse if it was warm because then I would just boil in this heat.

''I think you can take off the hat now.''-mom said.

''Yeah.''-I say taking it off and throwing it like a Frisbee on the towels.

''So.. why didn't you tell me he was the new neighbor?''-she asked. I shrug.

''It's not that important.''-I say.

''It is if you go incognito when you leave the apartment.''-she says.

''I just wanted to avoid unnecessary conflict. And as you can see, I failed.''-I say slapping the water with my open palm.

''Well sometimes there is a thin line between love and hate.''-mom said.

''Are you writing a novel? Get a hold of yourself.''-I say rolling my eyes.

''Just saying.''-she said and then swam off.

I stood in the knee deep water and looked at the horizon. My mother was far off now. I sighed. I wish I wasn't afraid. It is ridiculous how I found something so peaceful so terrifying. The calm ocean. There were hundreds of people swimming and playing only I always stood in the shallow end. I took a few steps forward and now water reached my chest. My breathing got heavier but I was still okay. I took another step and then another. I was standing on the tips of my toes. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. This was my limit. I can't go further I just can't.

''Wow now that's a huge wave.''-somebody said from the beach and I open my eyes only to be crushed by a wave. Water filled my nose and mouth and I tried hard not to inhale even though I was out of breath. I broke into surface but I wasn't where I was standing anymore. I was at least a meter or two further. And I couldn't stand. My feet couldn't reach the ground.

''No, no, no.''-I mumbled to myself. I started to turn frantically and look around myself.

''Just swim. It's not far. Go. Don't panic.''-mom said approaching me. Her voice brought me to my senses. I turned toward the beach and swam with all my might. As soon as my feet touched the stones under my heart relaxed and fatigue took over. I almost collapsed on my knees but I got a hold of a stone dock and braced myself against it. I push my hair of my face and ran a hand across my face. So much for make up. My throat was full of salty water so I cough it out.

''Are you okay?''-a lady standing on the dock asked. I look at her. She had a real look of concern on her face. She was maybe in her forties like my mom but she was way more classy. Like a business woman.

''Yes thank you.''-I say smiling a little.

''The wave must have scared you senseless.''-she said. ''It looked horrible.''

''Yeah. I didn't expect it.''-I say.

''Can I ask you something personal?''-she asked. I pause. Talking about personal things with a strange woman? Not weird at all.

''Umm, okay.''-I say.

''Do you have Thalassophobia?''-she asked. That's right! That's the name. I always keep forgetting.

''Yes. How did you know?''-I ask.

''Oh I am sorry. My name is Priscilla Kent. I am a psychiatrist. And I saw your reaction when you realized you are in deep water. I can say the level of your phobia is very high. Maybe the highest I saw so far.''-she said.

''I know. It .''-I say. My shrink already told me that.

''Was it something in your childhood that triggered the phobia?''-she asked.

''I don't think so. I always was afraid. I guess it just started with touching seaweed. It was a big no for me.''-I say.

''I see. Would you like some help or counseling?''-she asked.

''Thank you but I already have counselings with my own doctor and it wasn't of much help. But thank you really, for offering.''-I say.

''No problem I will give you my card if you change your mind. But you have to know, with your level of fear, if it would happen to you that you find yourself in very deep water, your heart may give out. It's no joke.''-she said.

''Yes, I know that too. I will be careful.''-I say and exit the water so she can hand me her card. She pulls out a wallet and gives me a silver card. ''Thank you.''-I say and she smiles and walks off. Right by the place where he was standing and giving me a strange look. He heard the whole thing. Nice. Can I look even more weak than I am? Mom stands beside me and I look away from him.

''Who was that?''-she asked.

''A shrink.''-I say.

''Shrink? Why?''-she asked.

''You have to ask?''-I ask and turn away to put the card in my bag.

''No. Sorry.''-she said. ''Are you okay now?''-she asked.

''Yeah. Don't worry.''-I say and sit down on my towel.

''I'm sorry I can't pay for any better counseling.''-she said sitting down next to me.

''It's okay. Mom really. No big deal.''-I say.

''Well it will be a big deal to me if your heart gives out suddenly.''-she said.

''It won't. Don't think about it. I won't put myself in that situation.''-I say.

''I know you won't. But it could happen like today.''-she said.

''Mom it won't. I was stupid and I went far. I won't do it again.''-I say patting her face.

''Promise me you won't put yourself in that situation.''-she said.

''I pinky promise.''-I say holding out my pinky.

''What is that?''-she said. I laugh.

''A pinky promise. With your pinky.''-I say taking her pinky and hooking it to mine. She laughs it off.

''That's so silly.''-she said.

''Yeah.''-I say. I glance back at the spot Chang Wook was standing and he was still there. Still looking. This time he smiled a little. I looked at him for a long time and I have a feeling he would look too but instead, he got hit with a ball. Straight in the face. He shook his head and looked around. His sumo friend hit him. He prepared himself to throw it back at him when I started laughing loudly and in last minute the ball changed path and he swung toward me. I didn't even have time to duck when the ball collided with my shoulder. Hard. Now he laughed.

''Hey!''-I stood up and grab the ball. He started running. Before I could realize I chased him across the beach and I was laughing. He turned slightly and I took a chance to swing. I threw the ball but he caught it making me stop and turn. The huntress was now the prey. '' .''-I said while I was running. I heard his laugh behind me and I knew it was a matter of seconds until he caught up with me. I stopped and crouched down covering my head with my arms. Nothing. I peeked around but I couldn't see him. Really? Did he just make me look stupid? Running away from nothing. I am seriously so dumb. I stood up and as soon as I did the ball hits my . I turn around and see him standing in water knee deep. He had his arms in the position he threw the ball from, his mouth hanging open.

''I'm sorry.''-he said and his hands shoot up like he surrenders. His friend was laughing his off gasping for air. ''I didn't want to.. your .. I..''-he stuttered. I picked up the ball and approached him.

''Oh really?''-I ask faking anger. His eyes were wide.

''Yes really. You were down so I aimed down. Sorry.''-he said. I spin the ball in my hands and take a fast few steps forward thinking he would back away and run but he didn't and I almost crashed into him. I was sorry I didn't. His torso only inches from me and my hands were really itching to touch his muscled body. I squeeze the ball harder. He caught me looking. Damn it. He smirked a bit. ''I guess I'm safe.''-he said.

''No you're not.''-I say and prepare to throw the ball in his face from this short distance but he catches my arm and pulls me close to him. In my stomach all hell broke loose. Butterflies, birds, bats, everything. Freaking dragons. My legs rubbed against his and water from his hair sprinkled my face. He paused for a second to look at me. At that minute he seemed so normal and his eyes were so soft. But it didn't last long, he grabbed the ball from my hand and pushed me in the water. I fell on my and just glared at him. He just laughed and left.