Love Sick - New Horizons - Chapter 8

Love Sick - New Horizons Chapter 1

Love Sick – New Horizons

Chapter 8

 

The gentle kiss lasted only for a few seconds, but Noh finally realised that he wasn’t still in the strange, muddled world he had been in for such a long time. This really was Phun, his Phun, the one person who meant the whole world to him.

 

Phun was smiling down at him, tears trickling down his face, which he hastily wiped away. Noh lifted his hand and softly caressed Phun’s face as he wiped away the last tear for him. Speaking in a strained whisper Noh said. “At last, it really is you. I have had so many vivid dreams of you Phun, but they always ended with me not being able to find you………” It was Noh’s turn to feel the tears filling his eyes.

 

Phun started to shake his head. He leaned forward and gently placed his hands on either side of Noh’s face, gazing into his eyes.

 

“Noh-Ja, there’s going to be no more tears, do you hear me? I’m back now, and we’re going to get you fit and well and on your way home, okay? Ohm’s told me as well that your Ma is due home tomorrow, so that’s something else to look forward too, isn’t it? I’m so sorry I wasn’t here for you……..”

 

Noh placed a finger on Phun’s lips and spoke so quietly, he could barely be heard. “Don’t even go there Phun. You’re here now, that’s all I care about.” His hand dropped back to the bed but his tired, loving gaze never left Phun’s face. His thin, drawn face showing the strain he was under made Phun want to scoop him up and carry him out of there, back to his home where he could look after him, make him well and whole again.

 

Just then Jen came back into the room. She smiled as she watched the two boys, the love for each other so obvious to any observer. She checked Noh and could see the longing in his face. She paused for a while and then made a decision.

 

Addressing Phun she spoke. “We normally don’t allow visitors to sit on a patient’s bed, but I think this is one occasion when I’ll bend the rules. N’Phun, can you help me to very carefully move Noh over towards me? We must be very gentle, he’s in a lot of pain, I’ll elevate the head of the bed first.” Using the bed controls she slowly raised the top of the bed slightly.

 

“Right N’Noh. We’re going to move you over to the right side of the bed a bit more, we’ll be as gentle as we can, but you must say if it’s too much okay?” Noh nodded, puzzled as to what Jen was intending. Very carefully and slowly, one on either side of him, Jen and Phun were able to move Noh further over towards the right of the bed.

 

“Great, that wasn’t too bad, was it?” Noh shook his head slightly. “Okay N’Phun, slip your shoes off and sit on the bed next to N’Noh. Put your legs up on the bed as well.” Phun did as he was asked. “Now very slowly help me ease him forward so you can put your right arm around his shoulder.” Between them they managed to sit Noh forward slightly, and Phun was able to slide his arm around his boyfriend’s shoulders.

 

The two young men just looked at each other, both smiling. At last, Noh was once again safe in the arms of his beloved Phun.

 

Jen smiled with satisfaction as she looked at their faces. “I need to go and see other patients for a short while, so I’ll leave you now, just do me a favour N’Phun, if the Doctor comes in, will you jump down quickly? I’m not sure if he will approve of you sitting on the bed or not, but I think it’s worth taking the chance, looking at N’Noh’s face! You are definitely the medicine he needs.”

 

Speaking to Noh she reminded him he needed to rest as well, and with a smile she left the room.

Noh rested his head on Phun’s shoulder, relishing the feeling of his boyfriend’s skin next to his own. He could smell his cologne and the warmth emanating from his body was making Noh feel so comfortable, he sighed happily. Phun looked down at his precious boy, seeing the smile on his face.

 

“Are you comfy Noh? You must tell me if you’re feeling any discomfort love, okay?”

 

Noh looked up then, gazing at Phun’s handsome face, still smiling. “I’m fine Phun. Now you’re here with me I know I’ll soon be feeling better. I’m sorry I’ve caused all this trouble and worry…………”

 

Phun leaned down and kissed Noh’s lips with a gentle touch. “You and Ohm are two of the bravest people I know love. To put yourselves in danger in order to help someone is an amazing thing to do, don’t ever apologise for doing such a brave thing, okay?” Phun again leaned forward and kissed Noh, lingering a lot longer this time, and gently his cheek with his thumb.

 

When he finally lifted his head the two young men just looked at each other, smiling.

 

Phun could see that Noh was tiring, his eyelids were beginning to close, though Noh was trying his best to keep awake.

 

“You’re tired again aren’t you Noh, why don’t you close your eyes now and rest?”

 

Noh shook his head. “I don’t want to sleep Phun, I’m afraid you’ll disappear again, and this will turn out to be just a dream, a wonderful dream, but I’ll be back to the pain of missing you……” Noh turned his face into Phun’s neck.

 

“Hey, listen to me Noh.” Phun gently touched Noh’s face and turned his head so he could look into his eyes. “I’m here for real, I’m not going to disappear, ever. Noh-Ja, I don’t think you realise that you are stuck with me now, and for the rest of our lives! I love you so much Noh, my heart feels as though it’s going to burst sometimes, the love I feel for you is overwhelming.”

 

Neither boy spoke for a while, both lost for words. Then Noh managed to speak. “Thank you Phun. I feel exactly the same, you mean the world to me, and a lifetime with you is all I want. I think I’m just emotional because of everything that’s happened.”

 

“I think you have every reason to be emotional love! You’ve been through hell and back. But you are back, and we’re going to get you well together, okay? Now, you need to get some sleep as nurse Jen said, I won’t leave until I know you are fast asleep, then I’ll shoot home and get a shower, sitting on that train for 5 hours is not very nice. But I will be back again, I promise, what can I bring you? Is there something I can get you, anything you fancy?”

 

A tired, but smiling Noh answered. “I’d love some strawberries!”

 

“Strawberries? I’m sure that will be easy enough to do, is there nothing else?”

 

Noh’s eyes were now closing, he couldn’t fight the sleep any longer. In a whisper he replied. “Just you Phun. I just want you.” Phun gently kissed his beloved’s forehead and whispered back, “You’ve got me Noh, I’ll always be with you.” Noh slept.

 

Nurse Jen came back into the room. Phun looked round at her and mouthed, “He’s just gone to sleep.” She nodded, and very gently replaced the oxygen mask over her patient’s face. Phun slowly slid his arm out from behind Noh and stepped down onto the floor. He stood for a while, just gazing at his love.

 

After making sure her charge was comfortably sleeping, nurse Jen spoke to Phun.

 

“You’re just the person N’Noh needs right now N’Phun. I’m sure he’ll recover now, although he’s not out of danger yet. The infection he had last night may return, but hopefully not.”

 

Phun nodded. “I’ll do everything I can to help him nurse. I love him dearly.” Phun felt embarrassed that he had said those words out loud, but Jen just smiled and patted his arm. “I can see that, I’m so glad you have each other. We all need someone to love, don’t we?”

 

After nodding and recovering his composure, Phun explained that he was going to hurry home but would be back later. He checked with Jen that strawberries would be alright for Noh to eat and she was delighted that he was at last showing an interest in eating. “That would be ideal N’Phun, anything light that he can be tempted with is good.” After one more loving look at his boyfriend, Phun left the room and made his way home.

 

************

 

Ohm arrived back at school after taking Phun to the Hospital. He was very quiet and thoughtful. He was disappointed that there hadn’t been any news from the Police yet about the thugs who had attacked them. He spoke to Mr. Juntasa each day, but he was also getting very frustrated with the lack of progress being made.

 

It was lunch time when Ohm entered school. He made his way towards the dining hall looking out for his classmates. As he entered the room the first person he saw was Mick. His heart soared as his eyes alighted on the handsome face of his boyfriend. Because of all the troubles he’d had recently he hadn’t had much time to see or even speak to Mick, apart from the occasional text or phone call.

 

Mick was with three of his friends, chatting and laughing together as they waited in line to buy their meals. Ohm stood for a moment, enjoying watching the boys interacting, when one of the boys looked up and spotted him. He nudged Mick who looked at him, and looked round to where his friend was pointing.

 

Ohm walked over to the group smiling, and felt his heart lurch when he saw the look of happiness on Mick’s face.

 

Mick spoke. “Hi P’! Long-time no see!” Ohm ruffled Mick’s hair, although he really wanted to hug him tight. “It’s good to see you Mick, you doing okay?” Mick nodded. “I’m fine P’. How are you doing now, are your injuries healing? How’s P’Noh? Is he getting any better? Everybody is worried about him.”

 

Ohm put his arm round Mick’s shoulder. “I’m doing fine N’Mick, thanks. Noh is very ill, but Phun is home now, I’ve just dropped him at the Hospital. We’ve just got to keep hoping Noh recovers, he’s a strong person.”

 

Three of the four boys were all looking serious and murmuring their hopes for a full recovery for Noh. Ohm noticed that one of the boys was standing slightly behind the others, head bowed. There was a shout from the other side of the room.

 

“Ohm! We’re over here when you’ve finished chatting up your boyfriend!” Ohm looked over to see his friends waving at him and laughing, and after giving them a death stare, he squeezed Mick’s shoulder, promising to ring him later, and made his way over to his friends threatening dire consequences for embarrassing him!

 

************

 

Phun wearily stepped out of the taxi outside his home. He walked in through the front door of the house and put his bag on the sofa just inside the living room. He called out, wanting to let anyone at home know he was there. Aunt Noi appeared at the top of the stairs and called down to Phun.

 

“Welcome home N’Phun! I’ll be right down!” Phun smiled, he was always happy to see Aunt Noi, their housekeeper. She had been part of his life for many years, looking after him and his younger sister, Pang.

 

Phun made his way through to the kitchen in search of a drink. As he was pouring a glass of juice for himself, he heard the front door open and saw his mother coming through the living room. She saw Phun standing in the kitchen and hurried to greet him.

 

“Phun! I’m so happy to see you! What time did you get back? Did you see Noh? How was he?” She put her arms around her son, hugging him close.

 

Returning her hug, Phun began to answer her questions.

 

“I’ve just got back from the Hospital.” He tried hard to speak normally, but his voice broke and his head bowed. His mother pulled one of the bar stools out and guided Phun to the seat. “Sit down Phun. You must be tired as well, with your early start and hours of travelling. Take your time son.” She hugged him again, then bustled around, filling the kettle ready to make a cup of tea.

 

Phun watched his mother doing something he had seen her do hundreds of times, being there with her made him feel better and he spoke quietly to her.

 

“Noh had a bad turn last night, he developed a high temperature and was very ill. The staff thought at one point that they may lose him.” Phun had to stop speaking for a moment, and his mother came and stood next to him, her face anxious. But then he continued. “It took them a long time, but eventually his temperature began to drop and the crisis passed.”

 

“Thank goodness Phun! Poor Noh, this is terrible, I hope he’ll carry on getting well. How was he when you saw him?”

 

Phun smiled. “He was very happy to see me, once he’d convinced himself he wasn’t just dreaming.” Noh’s face was so clear in Phun’s mind, it was making him feel calm and warm inside. “He’s sleeping now, so I said I’d pop home and take a shower, then I’ll get back there. I said I’d take him some strawberries, he hasn’t eaten for days but fancied some………”

 

His Ma interrupted him. “We’ve got strawberries, I’ll get them washed and ready, we’ve also got some of those yoghurts he likes as well, the creamy ones? Take those for him also, he may fancy a yoghurt too. I don’t suppose you’ve eaten either, have you, so go and get your shower and I’ll prepare something for you.”

 

Phun stood down from the stool and hugged his mother tightly. “Thanks Ma, it’s so good to be home!”

 

“When you get back later you’ll have to tell me all about the University visits, I’m looking forward to hearing all about that.”

 

“I will Ma, I had a great time, I’ll give you all the news later.” Phun hurried off to his room, to get his shower.

 

************

 

School ended, much to Ohm’s relief, and he reached into his pocket for his phone that he had felt vibrate a couple of minutes before. He had a text from Mick.

 

P’ can you meet me at the bleachers straight after school please? There’s something you should know.

 

Ohm was curious. This seems strange, but he was pleased he was going to be able to see his boyfriend, although he couldn’t stay long because he wanted to get to the Hospital to see Noh. He sent a response.

 

Of course. It’ll be great to see you. I can only stay for a little while cos I need to get to the Hospital to see Noh. See you in 5.

 

He returned his phone to his pocket and after saying bye to his friends, he hurried towards the bleachers. While he was still a distance away he could see Mick was already there waiting for him, and he had another boy with him. Mick could see Ohm coming over and waved.

 

Once he was close enough, Ohm recognised the boy next to Mick, he had been in the group standing in the queue for lunch, who seemed to be standing back and hanging his head.

 

Mick smiled at Ohm and his cheeks went pink when Ohm gave him a brief hug. “It’s nice to see you Mick.” He looked at the other boy. “Who’s this then?” Mick introduced his friend. “This is Zac, he’s in my class.” Mick hesitated, and looked worried. “P’, Zac has something he wants to tell you, but he’s really scared. Please don’t get angry with him P’Ohm, he’s been so worried it’s making him ill!”

 

Zac immediately burst into tears, covering his face with his hands. Ohm felt sorry for him and put his hand on his shoulder, shocked to feel Zac shaking with fear. “N’Zac, I’m not going to hurt you, but it sounds like you really need to get something off your chest. Come on, let’s sit down here and you can tell me what the problem is.”

 

The three boys sat down on the wooden benches, Zac in the middle. It took him a while to stop crying and after wiping his eyes with the back of his hand he looked up at Ohm.

 

“P’Ohm, I’ve done a terrible thing. When you were talking about P’Noh at lunchtime it made me feel really bad.” Zac’s mouth began to tremble again. Ohm spoke. “You just need to tell me what it is you’ve done, it’ll make you feel better you know. Go on, I promise not to bite your head off!”

 

Zac looked round at Mick who smiled at him and nodded his head. “Go on Zac, it’ll be alright.”

 

Taking a deep breath Zac spoke. “I’ve had a crush on P’Phun for a long time, but I knew from what others said that P’Noh was his boyfriend. Then last Tuesday I went to Siam with my mother to do some shopping and I saw you and P’Noh there having a meal. That other boy seemed to really like P’Noh, they were laughing a lot, and I thought he might have broken up with P’Phun, so I took a photo and sent it to him.”

 

Ohm was speechless. Well, that was one mystery solved anyway! In other circumstances Ohm would have let loose with an angry tirade of abuse, but he could tell that Zac was already suffering immensely, and anger wasn’t going to help.

 

“N’Zac, that was a mean thing to do, you hurt the one person you say you have a crush on! Fortunately, Phun and Noh love each other a lot, and Phun knew it wasn’t true, but still, it was a nasty thing to do, wasn’t it? I think you are going to have to apologise to Phun when he gets back to school on Monday, aren’t you. I don’t know how he’ll react, but he won’t be happy. By the way, how did you get his number?”

 

Zac’s head dropped again. He then looked at his friend Mick. “I’m sorry Mick, one day when you went to the restroom at school, I looked through your contacts on your phone to see if you had P’Phun’s number, and you did. I took it from there.”

 

It was Mick’s turn to look shocked. “I didn’t know you’d done that Zac, I’m surprised at you.” Zac was looking distraught again, and he turned back to Ohm.

 

“P’, there’s something else I need to tell you. I think I know who it was who attacked you and P’Noh…………”

 

************