Love Sick - New Horizons

Love Sick - New Horizons Chapter 1

Love Sick – New Horizons

Chapter 7

 

 

Thursday at the Hospital didn’t bring any improvement in Noh’s condition. Dr. Apibal came to check up on his patient at regular intervals, he was quite concerned about his young patient, he had expected him to start recovering a bit more by now. The nurses were instructed to keep him informed if there was any change at all, but to carry on as they were, monitoring him regularly.

 

P’Im was by his side, constantly watching Noh’s face to see if he would wake up. She was very frightened, this still, white faced boy in the bed wasn’t anything like their beloved Noh. Im and P’Ann had known him since he was a tiny boy, they had helped in his upbringing, cooked him his favourite meals, bathed his grazed knees when he fell, listened to his childish worries with a warm hug to make him feel better.

 

During the morning Noh had a new visitor. A very worried looking man introduced himself as Mr. Juntasa. Im knew his name, and she greeted him explaining who she was.

 

Mr. Juntasa spoke. “My wife and I are so concerned about this poor young man. Too think that he is lying here so ill, all because he and Ohm tried to help our boy.” His voice started to break as he spoke and he tried to blink away the tears that were forming. He moved to Noh’s side, and gently touched his hand. He looked around at Im.

 

“Is there any sign of Noh’s mother getting back? Ohm keeps us informed of Noh’s condition, and he was explaining about her trying to get a flight back from England. The poor woman must be frantic with worry.”

 

“We haven’t heard anything yet, P’Ann will be ringing Noh’s parents today, hopefully there will be good news. I think Noh needs his mum now, and it would be good for him to be able to see his friend Phun as well. He’s away at present visiting Universities, he should be back tomorrow.”

 

Mr. Juntasa was still holding Noh’s hand, and he turned back to look at Noh when he felt a faint movement. Im stood up as well, and they could see Noh was opening his eyes.

 

Noh could see two figures standing next to his bed, but his brain was so muddled and foggy, he couldn’t make out who they were. He was so tired. Why didn’t everyone just leave him alone? He needs a drink, his throat is parched, would someone help him? Suddenly a soft voice spoke. “Here you are Noh, have a few sips of water love.” He could feel the cup touching his lips and cool liquid was being gently poured into his mouth. A very faint “thank you” was heard before the tired eyes slowly closed again.

 

Neither Im nor Mr. Juntasa could speak for a while. Im’s fears still invaded her mind, it seemed to her that Noh was getting worse, not better. Mr. Juntasa was struggling with his feelings. How is this boy ever going to get well? This is just so unfair. He could also feel the anger inside him building up again, he had tried so hard not to give in to it, choosing instead to support his son and the two boys who had so selflessly come to Tam’s aid that night, and leave it up to the Police to catch the thugs. Well, he had waited long enough. He was going to have to do something to help find them himself.

 

After a brief chat with Im and a final look at Noh, Mr. Juntasa left, his mind busy with plans to do something to find these monsters.

 

************

 

After a good night’s sleep, Phun and the other students were up early, collecting firewood for the fire, and starting to dismantle the tents and pack their things away. The minibus was picking them up at 4pm and they needed to leave the camp by 2pm to make the trek through the forest.

 

After breakfast of porridge and toast and hot drinks, the young people were ready to take on the challenges set for them by Mr. Leekpai and Joe. Phun was feeling happy, he couldn’t wait to get back to the Uni and be reunited with his phone! He had very much enjoyed the experience in the forest, he had learned a lot in such a short time, and it had made him even more determined to get on the course for Environmental Studies.

 

Lunchtime arrived, the students helped themselves to all the food that was left over, bread and butter, cheese, tomatoes, fruit, biscuits and cans of soft drinks were all quickly demolished by hungry people. Mr. Leekpai grinned and nodded his approval. “Well done guys, that’s less for us to have to carry back to the minibus!” Sitting for the last time on the logs around the fire, the students chatted and talked about their experiences.

 

One of the girls put up her hand to ask a question. “Sir, can I ask, what would have happened if one of us had had an accident or been taken ill while we were here? I know years ago there was no such thing as mobile phones and all that, but how would you have been able to get help if it was needed?” Some of the other students were nodding and all eyes turned to their teacher.

 

“Ah, yes you have a good point. In this day and age people expect to be able to summon help quickly, you’re quite right. We do actually have an old- fashioned CB radio in the hut there, we can contact the Uni who would alert the rescue authorities in case of an emergency. You would have been okay, we didn’t tell you about it because if you decide to take up this course there are going to be times maybe when you are somewhere without any form of communication available, and you need to be able to survive on your own wits and skills.

 

Personally, I’ve never had to put my skills into action, so it’s highly unlikely you ever would, but survival skills are very useful to have.” The students all nodded in agreement. “I wish I’d been Boy Scout now, I might have learned something useful!” one of the boys called out. Everyone laughed.

 

The trek through the forest didn’t seem as arduous going back as when they had arrived, everyone had got to know each other and they were chatting as they went along. Nearly every student was proclaiming their desire to be on the Environmental Studies course, providing their exam results were good enough to get into the Uni. It had given them all food for thought.

 

The students arrived at the clearing where the bus was meeting them in record time, and even had to wait a short while for the bus. A cheer went up when they spotted the bus making its slow descent down the very steep hillside. Eventually the bus pulled into the clearing and stopped beside the group. After greeting everyone and enquiring how they’d got on, the driver started to load the equipment into the storage area under the bus. Once that was done, the students gratefully climbed into the minibus and sat down.

 

Phun was so happy to be going back, and tomorrow, he’d be back with his beloved Noh! He was picturing seeing him standing at the gate to the train platform, he’d be waving to Phun and smiling. That hug they’d share would be the best ever, he was sure!

 

At last the University came into view, Tong was grinning at Phun, he wasn’t going to admit it but he was looking forward to feeling the smooth cover of his phone in his hand again! Solada and Hom were chattering excitedly, and making sure everyone would meet up in the Dining hall for the evening meal.

 

Once the minibus was parked and had been emptied of all the equipment, the students thanked the driver for his help and made their way into the University. Joe had gone on ahead and could be seen standing at the reception desk smiling broadly holding…………the box of mobile phones!

 

The students eagerly retrieved their precious item, and all around the reception area the devices could be heard pinging and buzzing and ringing as their owners switched them on. Phun’s hands were shaking in anticipation as he turned his phone on. Why do things take so long to come on when you’re so desperate to use them? Finally, he got a signal.

 

The first thing he saw as the screen came to life was a picture. It was a side view of his Noh, and sitting looking at him with a big smile on his face was a boy Phun had never seen before. What’s this, who’s Noh with? The boy was probably about 15 Phun guessed, but obviously very happy to be with Noh. Phun spotted a caption underneath the picture:

 

It didn’t take Noh long to find someone else did it!

 

Phun’s insides froze. What on earth’s going on? Who is this boy? Where were they when the picture was taken? His fears only lasted for a few seconds and then his common-sense took over. He knew how much Noh loved him and he’d only been gone four days, it was ridiculous to think anything else. Phun then got to thinking about who would do something malicious like this? Somebody must really hate him!

 

Several other texts were waiting for him, he could see his mum’s name, his sister Pang’s, Ohm’s, Fi’s and several others, but nothing from the love of his life. The knots inside his stomach started to reappear. Now he knew something was wrong. He decided to read Ohm’s text first.

 

Phun – ring me as soon as you get this please. It’s important. Ohm

 

With shaking hands Phun rang Ohm’s number. It only rang twice when he heard Ohm’s voice.

 

“Phun, thank God you’ve rung! I had no way of getting hold of you……..”

 

“It’s okay Ohm, I had no access to a phone where we were. Ohm, please tell me what’s wrong! It’s Noh isn’t it, I just know something bad’s happened. I’ve not heard anything from him, I’m so scared Ohm. Please tell me!”

 

There was a pause for a few seconds. “It’s not easy to tell you Phun, I’ll have to keep it short, but on Monday evening when we were out we tried to help a boy who was being attacked. Noh and I got beaten up as well, and Noh’s injuries were so bad he collapsed on Tuesday night and is in Hospital.”

 

Ohm heard a sharp intake of breath from Phun.

 

“Do you want me to stop Phun? I know this is a terrible shock for you.”

 

“No no, carry on please Ohm!”

 

“Okay. He had to have an emergency operation that night, one of the thugs kept kicking and kicking him……….” The terrible memory of that night flooded back into Ohm’s mind causing him to stop. His voice became quiet and was trembling. “I was so helpless Phun, I couldn’t get up and help him…….even the boy, he’s called Tam, tried to pull the b****rd off and got thrown to the floor again! It was awful Phun, just awful!”

 

The tears started then, Phun was crying as though his heart would break. “Oh God Ohm, my poor Noh! Is he going to be alright?”

 

Ohm had to try and speak as calmly as he could. “Phun, all I can tell you is he’s in the right place just now. The Doctor and nurses are doing everything they can for him. They keep saying that being young, and normally fit, will help him a lot. P’Ann and P’Im are taking turns to stay with him, they’ve been absolute rocks Phun.”

 

The line went quiet. “Phun, are you okay?” Ohm asked anxiously. It was a little while before Phun could speak.

 

In a broken voice Phun responded. “I’m okay Ohm. God, I wish I could come home right now! My uncle Dan’s picking me up at 5.30 in the morning, and taking me to the station.”

 

Ohm said “I’ve spoken to your mum Phun, I’m going to pick you up at Bangkok station tomorrow, and take you straight to the Hospital. There’s nothing you can do about it all Phun, I know it’s pointless to tell you not to worry, but you’ll be home soon enough and you’ll be able to see for yourself how Noh is. I’m sure you’re just the medicine he needs.”

 

“Thanks Ohm, I know you’re Noh’s best friend and you’ll be doing all you can for him. Will you be going to see him this evening?”

 

“Yes, I’m on my way there now, I’ll make sure he knows you’re coming home tomorrow, okay? I’d better get off now, I’ll meet you at the station tomorrow, 10.45am!”

 

“Okay Ohm, see you tomorrow.”

 

************

 

The sun was just beginning to rise over the rooftops when Phun’s Uncle Dan pulled into the University car park on Friday morning. Tong had got up early with Phun so he could wave him off, and as he gave his friend a brotherly hug he urged him to keep in touch, and to let him know how Noh was. Phun assured him he would, and he asked Tong to apologise to Solada and Hom for not saying goodbye.

 

“Don’t worry about that Phun, I’ll explain to them what’s happened. I hope we all meet again, hopefully at Uni.” After a final handshake, Phun took his seat next to his Uncle in the car.

 

It took 15 minutes to reach the station, Phun tried hard to answer his Uncle’s questions about his experiences at the Universities in a light-hearted manner, but all the time his mind was thinking of his Noh and how he was today. The station came into view, much to Phun’s relief, but he was feeling bad that he wasn’t being as chatty as normal, especially as his Uncle had been so kind and helpful to him.

 

After retrieving his bag from the boot of the car, his Uncle checking his nephew had his train ticket, the pair exchanged a warm hug and Phun thanked his uncle for all his help.

 

“No problem Phun! It’s been great to see you, if only for a short while. You must make sure you come again, and make it sooner rather than later.” Assuring him he would do, Phun waved and made his way towards the station.

 

************

 

Ohm went to school on Friday morning, hurrying straight to the Head teacher’s office. After knocking on his door and being summoned in, Ohm gave the latest update on Noh. “Thank you for keeping me up to date nong’Ohm. It’s very worrying all this. Let’s hope he makes a full recovery. Has there been any news of nong’Noh’s mother yet?”

 

“Oh yes, she’s finally got onto a flight for today, she’ll be back tomorrow morning, all being well. I want to ask your permission to leave school for about an hour this morning Sir. I’m picking Phun up from the station and taking him to the Hospital to see Noh, they’re close friends you see. I’ll come right back to school after I’ve dropped him off.” Ohm didn’t think it was appropriate to tell the Head that Phun and Noh were more than close friends.

 

“Yes, that’s fine, but make sure you come back quickly, you’ve plenty of studying still to do!” Ohm thanked him and left the office to make his way to his classroom.

 

************

 

The train journey was five long hours. Phun felt like every minute was an hour. His mind was in turmoil, one moment he was so happy that he was going to see his Noh, the person he would love for the rest of his life. Then the frightening thoughts crept in. What if the worst happened? How could he possibly go on without his precious boy? There would be no point living any more without Noh. Phun’s mood got more and more desperate, but as the train sped along the carriage was suddenly plunged into darkness. The sudden change pulled Phun back, and he realised the train was going through a tunnel.

 

He managed to lay his head back against his seat, and once again the carriage was flooded with light as it exited the tunnel. The thoughts that had been going through his mind scared Phun. He mentally gave himself a shake and took control of his thoughts. The only person who was important now was Noh. You’ve got to be strong and do everything possible to get your boyfriend fit and well again he told himself. He began to feel a bit better, and he closed his eyes and tried to sleep.

 

************

 

The early morning rush-hour traffic had eased off when Ohm began the drive to the station in his Ma’s car. She had willingly let him borrow her car today, knowing he was collecting Phun from the train station.

 

He wasn’t sure at all what to expect when he met Phun, he just hoped he would be over the initial shock of hearing about Noh, and be ready to face whatever was to come.

 

Ohm arrived a few minutes early, and was standing near the barrier as Phun’s train slowly glided alongside the platform and came to a halt. The doors noisily opened, banging against the side of the train, and people began to descend onto the platform. Ohm soon spotted Phun, who was walking quickly towards him. His face looked very pale and his eyes were red-rimmed with tiredness.

 

After handing in his ticket at the barrier, Phun moved towards Ohm and the two friends hugged tightly. Before Ohm could ask him how his journey had been, Phun asked. “Is there any news of Noh today, Ohm?”

 

The young men had begun walking towards the car park, Ohm with his arm around Phun’s shoulder. “I’ve just come from school Phun, I haven’t heard anything yet from P’Ann but we’ll soon be at the Hospital, we’ll find out then, okay?”

 

“Sorry Ohm, I know this must have been really bad for you, I can see from your face that you must have taken a terrible beating yourself! I just wish I had been here, I could have,,,,,,,,,,,,,,” Ohm interrupted him. “Phun, you weren’t here, none of this is your fault or any of us. The only people to blame are those three hooligans who did all this. Poor Tam, he’s only 15, he got very badly beaten as well, he’s such a quiet, gentle sort of boy, he has been left very shaken. He’s afraid to go out on his own anymore.” Ohm was shaking his head.

 

“We’re just praying the Police will catch them, they’ve been going through CCTV footage that was around the car park where it happened, so hopefully that will prove to be useful. Here we are, here’s the car, now let’s just focus on getting Noh well again, okay?”

 

Phun nodded and gave a small smile. “You’re right Ohm. I just need to see Noh now, and we’ll take it from there. Thanks Ohm.” After giving his friend a quick hug, Ohm opened the car and they got in.

 

As they got their seatbelts on Phun suddenly remembered the picture that had appeared on his phone. He was pretty sure he now knew who the other boy was, but needed Ohm’s confirmation. “I was sent this while I was away Ohm, do you know who it is?” He passed his phone to Ohm.

 

“Ah, that’s Tam, where’s that come from?” Ohm suddenly spotted the caption. “What the hell is that all about? That was the Tuesday evening. Tam’s parents wanted to take Noh and me out for a meal as a sort of thank you for trying to help Tam. Mr. Juntasa was making us laugh about silly things that had happened at work. If you look closely, you can see my sleeve just to the left of Noh’s arm. Mrs. Juntasa was on my left, and Mr. Juntasa next to her.”

 

Ohm passed the phone back to Phun, and he looked curiously at him. “Please tell me you didn’t believe that message? Noh was already feeling very ill then, but trying not to make a fuss by showing it.”

 

“No Ohm, I didn’t believe it, although it did shock me for a moment, but I know how much Noh loves me. I’m puzzled though, who would do something like that, and how did they get my number?”

“Umm, now that’s a mystery. I reckon it will be someone at school, I’ll set my spies on it, see what they can come up with. Leave it with me, I’ll sort it.”

 

The Hospital entrance soon appeared in the distance. Ohm glanced at his companion. “We’re almost there Phun, don’t be shocked by the way Noh looks. He’s got a saline drip in the back of his hand and has to wear an oxygen mask. His face is very pale, which is understandable of course. He’s been sleeping a lot, and if he does wake he is very disorientated I’m afraid.”

 

Phun put his hand over his eyes for a moment. Speaking quietly he answered. “I understand Ohm. I just need to see him, touch him and let him know I’m back now. Are his parents back from their trip to England yet?” Ohm went on to explain about Noh’s mum, but explained that she was due home the next day.

 

“That’s good news Ohm, Noh needs his mum as well.”

 

Ohm pulled into the Hospital car park and found a space. The two friends walked towards the main entrance, and Ohm lead the way towards the lifts and they made their way to the 3rd floor.

 

Noh was in a side room on Ward 31, and as they were walking towards the room Nurse Jen came out of the nurses’ office. She looked at Ohm and smiled in greeting, then looked at Phun. Ohm made the introductions. “Hi Jen, this is Phun, Noh’s boyfriend. He’s just back from visiting Unis.” He turned to Phun. “Phun, this is nurse Jen. She’s been looking after Noh.” Phun and Jen politely shook hands.

 

“You boys had better come into the office a moment.” She indicated for them to follow her into the room and closed the door. Phun was immediately on edge, and after looking at Ohm he could see he was anxious as well.

 

“Sit down boys.” Jen pointed to the chairs in the room. Ohm blurted out. “Has something happened Jen? Is Noh okay?” As soon as they were seated she spoke.

 

“I don’t want you to worry too much, but Noh had a very bad turn last night.” There was a gasp from Ohm, and Phun covered his face with his hands. Jen gently put her hand on Phun’s arm. “Listen to me, both of you. The nurse on duty last night was doing her regular observations on Noh, and realised his temperature was beginning to go up quite alarmingly. Dr. Apibal was quickly summoned and it took several hours before they could get his temp down. They fed antibiotics into the drip, gave him cold sponge baths and watched him constantly.”

 

Ohm put his arm around Phun’s shoulder, trying to comfort him.

 

“The staff were very concerned for their patient. At one stage they thought they might lose him……..” Jen could see the distress in the two young men. “I’m sorry to seem so blunt boys, but you need to know how ill he’s been. Fortunately, by the time I came on duty this morning they had succeeded in bringing his temperature down. It’s normal now, which is great.”

 

The two young men visibly relaxed. Ohm asked, “Does that mean he’ll be okay now? It’s not going to happen again is it?” They both listened intently to Jen.

 

“There’s no guarantee it won’t happen again, but we’re hopeful he may have turned the corner now.” She looked directly at Phun and smiled.

 

“When I first came on duty I was helping to make Noh comfortable, we gave him another sponge bath, got him into a clean gown and changed his sheets which had all got soaked with the perspiration. As I was covering him with the sheet I heard him say, very quietly, “Phun………where’s Phun?” She could see the tears welling in Phun’s eyes. “I’m not telling you to upset you, it’s a good sign! He obviously was thinking of you, he’s been very muddled for a while, so that made me hopeful.” She passed Phun a tissue from the box on the desk. He quickly wiped his eyes, smiling at Ohm.

 

“I’ve got to do Noh’s obs now, that always disturbs him a bit, so now is a good time to see him. P’Ann has been here all night again, that lady must be exhausted, she’s just gone to the café to get herself a coffee. She told me Noh’s mum is travelling today, and should be here tomorrow, and you’re here today, I’m really hopeful now that Noh will be okay!”

 

Jen opened the door of the office and led Ohm and Phun into Noh’s room.

 

The blinds were open on the window, letting the sunshine pour into the room. Noh’s bed was in the centre of the room, with the headboard against the facing wall. Jen collected the trolley from the corner of the room that held all her equipment to do the observations. She went to Noh’s right side, gently touching his hand. His eyes were closed in sleep, and she spoke softly to him. “Noh it’s just me, Jen. I’ve come to do your obs. I won’t be long.” Jen attached the blood pressure collar to his arm, and she could see him stirring.

 

Ohm stood next to the bed and was pleased to see that his best friend was a better colour than he had been when he saw him the previous evening. He was still looking very poorly but still, any improvement was good. Jen finished taking Noh’s blood pressure and moved around to the other side to check the drip. Ohm leaned down and kissed the top of his friend’s head.

 

“I’ve got to get back to school Noh, but I’ll be back later, take care my friend.”

 

A very quiet voice spoke. “You’ve really got to stop kissing me Ohm.”

 

Ohm looked down at his friend in amazement. “That’s very sneaky Noh! I thought you were asleep!” The smile on Ohm’s face would have brightened anyone’s day. “Well, I know when I’m not wanted! But I bet you aren’t going to say no to kisses from this other visitor you’ve got, are you?” Ohm stood to one side and beckoned Phun forward. After squeezing Phun’s shoulder as he passed, Ohm left.

 

Noh slowly opened his eyes. Well, I’ve had some vivid dreams in my time, Noh thought, but this has to top them all! This time, not only can I see Phun, but I can even smell his cologne!

 

Nurse Jen gently lifted the oxygen mask off Noh’s face and placed the thermometer under his tongue. Noh didn’t move. He was transfixed by this ‘vision’ moving closer and closer. Jen removed the thermometer, checked the reading and nodded in approval. She smiled over to Phun and pushing her trolley, left the room.

 

Noh was so afraid to blink, in case his ‘vision’ disappeared. Phun closed the distance between them and just gazed down at the love of his life. He gently leaned forward and softly pressed his lips against Noh’s.