Love Sick - New Horizons Chapter 10

Love Sick - New Horizons Chapter 1

Love Sick – New Horizons

Chapter 10

 

Ohm hurried along the corridor to Noh’s room. As he reached the door he looked through the small window, and smiled when he realised how true Phun’s statement had been about how many people were in the room.

 

After tapping on the door, he entered, still smiling. Everyone in the room looked around as the door opened, and they were all pleased to see it was Ohm. After greeting the adults, he made his way towards Noh in his bed. Noh could see Ohm was looking cheerful and grinned at his friend.

 

“Someone’s looking happy!” Noh exclaimed. Ohm bent down to his friend and gently hugged him.

 

“I have great news to tell you all! I can’t believe it’s happened like this, but I’ve found out who the bullies are who attacked us!” Ohm looked around at the shocked faces in the room. Inspector Anuwat came around to the side of Noh’s bed.

 

“This is important news N’Ohm. Would you care to explain?”

 

Dr. Apibal cleared his throat. “I think I’ll leave you all too it now, I’ve other patients to see and this news is between you all. If there’s anything else I can do to help, please let me know.” Everyone thanked Dr. Apibal for his time, and he took his leave.

 

Ohm spoke to Mr. Juntasa. “I’ve just seen Tam with Phun in the coffee shop Mr. Juntasa, I think Tam should be here for this, what do you think?” He agreed with Ohm. Inspector Anuwat added his thoughts.

 

“Yes he should, but it may be better if N’Phun isn’t involved at this stage, there may be legal reasons why he shouldn’t be privy to details at the moment.” He turned to Noh. “I hope you don’t mind N’Noh, I’d hate there to be legal clauses causing problems further down the line and spoil our chances of prosecuting these thugs.”

 

Noh understood perfectly. “I agree Inspector, Phun doesn’t need to be here just now. Mr. Juntasa, please will you explain to Phun for me? I’m sure he’ll understand.” Tam’s father nodded and hurried out of the room to get his son.

 

While they waited for Mr. Juntasa and Tam to arrive, Ohm took out his phone and after scrolling through it he found what he was looking for and passed it to Noh. It took a couple of seconds for the picture to register with him, but the look of shock on Noh’s face as he looked at the photo was all Ohm needed to confirm he had been right. These were the bullies who attacked them.

 

The Inspector was keen to see what had shocked Noh so much, but Tam and his father came back just as he was about to ask for an explanation. Ohm spoke to Tam. “I need you to look at this picture Tam, and tell us what you think.” He retrieved the phone from Noh and passed it to Tam. His reaction was the same as Noh’s, his hand went to cover his mouth and he gasped.

 

“Ohm, that’s them! They’re the ones who attacked us! How did you get this? Do you know who they are?” The questions tumbled out of Tam’s mouth, and the Inspector came round to where the boys were standing. “Can I see it please Ohm?” Ohm nodded and passed his phone to him.

 

After studying the picture for a few moments he turned to the boys, Ohm and Tam were now standing next to Noh. “Well, all three of you have confirmed to me that these are the culprits we’re looking for. I recognise the one in the middle, we’ve had our eye on him for a while now, we believe he’s responsible for many attacks like this, but we can never get any evidence to stick! Ohm, tell me how you got hold of this!”

 

Mr. Juntasa asked to see the picture as well, and after looking at it he sadly nodded his head. “I recognise the one in the middle and the one to the left as well. Not sure about the third, but they only stayed around for seconds once they saw my wife and I running towards them. Cowards, damn cowards the three of them!” Tam moved to his father and wrapped his arms around his waist. His dad engulfed him in a hug as well, neither spoke, but the warmth from each other was just what they needed.

 

Inspector Anuwat suggested they all get a chair and sit down to talk about the events that had happened. Once they were all settled next to Noh, the Inspector asked Ohm to start at the beginning, where had he got the picture from?

Ohm was quiet for a few moments, trying to decide how to handle the situation, without bringing Zac into the story. Eventually he decided to just be honest, and explain the problem.

 

“Inspector, the picture has been given to me by someone who has been bullied nearly his whole life by the thug in the middle of the three. He’s another victim, he’s very young, younger than Noh and I, and is understandably very frightened that if it’s discovered it was him who gave them away, the bullies may come after him and the consequences would be catastrophic.” Everyone in the room could understand the fear being felt by the poor boy.

 

“Of course, I completely understand N’Ohm, I will do everything in my power to protect his identity. Prosecuting these bullies will help this young man as well, even more reason to get everything legal and above board so they can’t escape justice! Now, N’Ohm, can you send me that picture to my phone please, and any of the details you know about these three?”

 

Ohm quickly agreed and after the Inspector gave him his phone number he forwarded the photo and he typed in the few details that Zac had been able to give him. The Inspector smiled gratefully.

 

“I’ll get back to the Police HQ and start the ball rolling. It may take a couple of days to get things in order, but I’ll keep you updated, okay?”

 

Mr. Juntasa and the three young men all nodded. “And N’Noh, you keep getting better, do you hear me? I’ll be delighted to hear that you’re back at home recovering soon.” Noh smiled and assured the Inspector he would try his best.

 

As the policeman left the room, Noh looked pleadingly at Ohm. Without even speaking Ohm knew what his friend wanted. “Okay, okay, I’ll go and get Phun for you, then I’ll tell you a bit more about it all!” His grin was infectious and the relieved smiles of the others was good to see.

 

Ohm was quickly back with Phun who made his way to his boyfriend’s side, kissing his forehead gently. Noh sighed with happiness and looked up at him, eyes full of love.

 

Everyone sat down near to Noh’s bed, Phun holding Noh’s hand and gently rubbing his thumb on the back of it. “I’ll tell you a bit of what I know, but I’m so desperate to protect our young saviour, I can’t tell you his name, okay?” Ohm looked around and Mr. Juntasa and the three young men all nodded, accepting the need to protect the boy.

 

“Just to briefly fill you in Phun, I’ve met someone who has given me a picture of the three cowards who attacked us. He was also able to give us two names and the address of the ringleader. I can tell you that our saviour attends our school, and was horrified when he heard about Noh’s injuries. He overheard a conversation between the three yobs and put two and two together that they were the culprits.”

 

Noh was shocked. “This boy attends our school? Do we know him?” He held Phun’s hand tightly. “He’s younger than us Noh, I had seen him around but I didn’t know anything about him. He’s very quiet and timid, he doesn’t like to draw attention to himself. I will tell you more soon, but I can’t take the chance that it might accidently get out, I promised him I’d try and keep it secret.”

 

Noh nodded vigorously. “Of course Ohm, I completely agree.”

 

Mr. Juntasa spoke. “Thank you for all you’ve done N’Ohm, let’s hope the Inspector can round the bullies up and make a real case against them, we need justice for the three of you now, that will help the healing process.” He turned to his son. “I think it’s time we left now Tam, your Ma will have our meal ready for us, and the girls will be wanting their bedtime story soon! Are you ready to go yet N’Ohm? We can give you a lift if you want.”

 

“That would be great Mr. Juntasa, thank you. My Ma will be looking out for me as well.” Turning to Noh he smiled. “I’ll be back tomorrow Noh, and you’ve got your mother home tomorrow, haven’t you? You must be looking forward to seeing her.” Noh nodded happily. “Yes I am Ohm, and she’ll be so glad to hear this great news.” He let go of Phun’s hand while he stretched over to shake Ohm’s hand. The friends clasped hands and smiled at each other. Noh spoke quietly. “Thank you as well Ohm, I’ll be forever grateful to you and our brave young school friend. I’m looking forward to meeting him when the time is right.”

 

Ohm smiled. “I’m sure that will happen soon. Now you get some rest, and I’ll see you tomorrow.” He looked at Phun. “Look after him Phun, he’s had a rough time, but I’m sure he’ll get better now you’re back.” With a wave of his hand he left with Mr. Juntasa and Tam.

 

Phun watched as the door closed behind the trio, then slipping off his shoes, he gingerly climbed onto the side of Noh’s bed, trying not to knock into his boyfriend and hurt him. He slid his arm around Noh’s shoulder and was rewarded with a sigh and a kiss on his cheek.

 

Noh looked at the love of his life. “Wow, this has been some day, hasn’t it? You’ll be wishing you were back at the University getting some peace and quiet!” Phun gently kissed Noh’s forehead. “This is exactly where I want to be Noh. Sitting here next to you, feeling your warm body up close, being able to hold you again. You mean the world to me, you know that, so no more thinking I don’t want to be here, because this is where I belong.” Noh could feel his cheeks turning pink at Phun’s words and he grinned shyly.

 

“I was only kidding Phun, we’re destined to be together aren’t we, and we’ll weather any storm that comes our way.” Noh turned his face towards Phun and his heart skipped a beat as he felt Phun’s warm, soft lips touch his in a loving kiss.

 

The boys were unaware they were being watched until a loud voice spoke. “Please get off the bed at once! Visitors are not permitted to sit on beds. This behaviour is unacceptable, you should be ashamed!”

 

Phun was so shocked, he immediately let go of his Noh and stood down onto the floor. He looked to where the voice had come from and saw a nurse had come into the room. Noh was very taken aback, he had never seen this nurse before and couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

 

Phun quickly recovered his equilibrium, and holding his love’s hand he confronted the nurse.

 

“I’m sorry nurse, but we are doing nothing wrong. My boyfriend has been really ill and my presence here is helping him. Your attitude is very old fashioned I must say, you’re the only person who has had a problem with me being here, I only want to support Noh as much as I can so he can recover and go home.”

 

Just as Phun finished speaking, the door to Noh’s room opened again and Dr. Apibal came into the room and heard the last part of Phun’s sentence.

 

The nurse looked round and saw the Doctor standing in the doorway. “Is there a problem nurse? Would you explain what’s happening?” The nurse looked down at her feet for a moment, then spoke. “I told this young man….” She pointed at Phun, “to get off the bed Doctor, it’s not allowed as you know, and they were kissing each other…..” The look of distaste on her face was evident.

 

Dr. Apibal addressed the nurse. “Nurse, this young patient of mine has been badly hurt, there was a time when I wondered if he’d even pull through, his injuries were so bad. This young man…” the doctor smiled at Phun, “has been invaluable to N’Noh’s recovery, as well as his friends and guardians who have been by his side throughout. These two young men are supported by everyone who knows them, it doesn’t matter who we love, as long as that love is true.”

 

The nurse’s look of shock was priceless, and Phun and Noh had difficulty not giggling.

 

“I think it would be better if you didn’t look after this particular patient nurse, I’ll speak to the Ward Sister and have your timetable altered.” The nurse realised she had been dismissed and flounced out of the room.

 

Dr. Apibal pulled a chair to the side of Noh’s bed and gestured to Phun to do likewise. “I’m very sorry for that boys, no matter what any member of staff may think, the patient’s welfare must always come first, their personal opinions aren’t appropriate in these circumstances, and the nurse should know that.”

 

It’s okay Doctor,” said Phun, glancing at Noh. “We both know that we’re going to experience that kind of prejudice every now and then. Our families and friends are mostly happy for us, not everyone, but that’s okay, Noh and I will show everyone that loving someone is not about gender, and hope that we’ll be left alone to just get on with our lives, together.”

 

Noh smiled at Phun, proud of the way his boyfriend had spoken. Dr. Apibal nodded in agreement. “Good for you N’Phun. If you want something badly enough in this life, and are absolutely determined, you can achieve anything. I was orphaned when I was only 3 months old, my parents had left me with a neighbour while they went to collect something from a store, and on the way back in their car, a lorry ploughed into them killing them instantly.” Phun and Noh both gasped. “That’s awful Doctor!” said Noh.

 

“I was put in an orphanage, it was very stark and no-one ever gave us any attention, but when I was 8 my best friend died, we were like brothers, and I was so upset I vowed then and there to become a Doctor. Orphanage children didn’t become Doctors, I was constantly told that, but I just gritted my teeth and worked hard at school.”

 

Dr. Apibal started to smile. “My luck changed when I was 13, a new member of staff came, she would actually talk to us! I told her about my ambition and she encouraged me so much. Well, to cut a long story short, she actually adopted me and I went to live with her. We had very little money, we both worked 2 jobs each to make ends meet, but I was so happy and knew I was loved, and after a huge struggle I achieved my dream.”

 

The room was suddenly filled with the Doctor’s laughter. “Sorry you two, I didn’t start out to give you my life history! I just wanted to show you that determination can help you achieve your heart’s desires, and from what I have seen of you two, I know you will both fulfil your dreams as well.”

 

“Thank you Sir, we have every intention of working hard and we will be together, definitely.” Phun took hold of Noh’s hand, squeezing it gently. Noh had tears trickling down his cheeks and Phun quickly got a tissue and wiped them away. Noh was embarrassed to be crying in front of the Doctor and grinned sheepishly. “Sorry, that’s such a sad story, but to see how you made it through is very uplifting. Your adoptive mum must be so proud of you.”

 

Dr. Apibal smiled. “She is, and one of the first things I did when I was earning a wage was to buy us a new apartment, and that’s where she still lives. When my wife and I married, she had been an orphanage girl as well, we decided to adopt two children ourselves, so now my mum is the proud grandmother of our son and daughter. Her good deed of helping me has spread, the ripples have helped a lot of others in their path.”

 

The door to Noh’s room opened and nurse Jen popped her head round. “Sorry Doctor, please will you come and see a patient for me? I’m not sure about his medication change, I won’t keep you long.”

 

The Doctor stood up quickly. “Of course nurse, I’ve finished here now, I think I’ve bored this patient enough for one day!” With a wave and a cheerful smile, he left.

 

Phun and Noh grinned at each other, and leaning over, Phun pecked his Noh’s lips before gently holding his face between his warm hands. “You see Noh, we can do this, the people who matter to us are willing us on, anyone else is not important. I love you so much Noh, I’m never letting you go.”

 

Noh smiled. “That’s just as well then, because you’re stuck with me Phun, for ever.” They shared another kiss. “Right then, about those cars we were looking at before, I definitely think the green one would be best………” The banter continued between them until nurse Jen reappeared to do Noh’s observations.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++