Love Sick - New Horizons Chapter 3

Love Sick - New Horizons Chapter 1

Love Sick – New Horizons

Chapter 3

 

Noh woke next morning to a strange feeling of apprehension. He lay on his back, looking up at the ceiling, frowning, trying to work out what was wrong. He began to move, intending to reach for his phone, when a searing pain in his right side stopped him in his tracks. The terrible incident that had happened the night before came flooding back to him, and a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach started.

 

He slowly tried to move again and became even more aware of the injuries he had sustained in the fight he and Ohm had unwittingly been drawn into. Noh realised that apart from his head, every part of his body was hurting, especially his side.

 

After a great deal of effort, he managed to move his legs over the side of his bed, and was then able to reach his phone. He sat staring at the phone for a couple of minutes, desperate to text Phun, but uncertain as to what to say. He reasoned that there was no point in telling Phun what had happened to him and Ohm, he wouldn’t be able to do anything and Noh knew he would worry.

 

Noh:-

Morning Phun. Hope you slept well. I’m running late this morning, again! Have a great day. I love you! XX

 

After replacing the phone, Noh gingerly tried to stand, wincing in pain. He slowly moved to the bathroom and after turning the shower on, removed his pyjamas. As he turned to step into the shower, he caught sight of himself in the mirror and was shocked to see the bruising developing all over his body. There hardly seemed any area that wasn’t turning purple. “No wonder I can barely move this morning” Noh thought to himself.

His shower took him a long time this morning, but he managed, with difficulty. After drying himself he returned to his bedroom and heard his phone beep. He sat on the bed to look at his message.

 

 

 

Phun:-

Good day to you my Noh! I slept better last night thanks. We’re going into the Science Lab today. That should be interesting! I’m going to the second Uni tonight, my Uncle is going to take me. Hope you enjoyed your night out! I love you Noh! Can’t wait to hold you again. XX

 

Noh held his phone against his chest, and closing his eyes he pictured Phun, tall and handsome smiling at him and enfolding him in his strong arms. The tears came unbidden into Noh’s eyes, he felt so lonely and lost without Phun, but he quickly shook himself and tried hard to convince his reluctant mind that he had to carry on as normal.

 

It took him twice the usual time to get dressed, the pain was restricting his movement so much. He made his way down the stairs and found P’Im with P’Ann in the kitchen.

 

Both women turned around when they heard Noh coming into the room. P’Im immediately hurried towards him, worry etched on her face. “Noh, how are you? P’Ann told me what happened last night, I’m so sorry you’ve been hurt.” She gently wrapped her arms around Noh, pulling back quickly when she felt him wince in pain. “Ah, Noh, I’m so sorry! Did I hurt you?”

 

Noh shook his head and tried to smile. “It’s okay P, it wasn’t your fault. My whole body hurts this morning!” P’Ann moved away from the stove, where she was cooking breakfast, to have a closer look at Noh. The bruising on his legs and arms was clearly noticeable. “Noh, lift up your shirt so I can see the rest of you.” Noh slowly did as he was asked, and both women gasped in shock at the terrible bruising and abrasions over his back and chest. “You had a lot of pain in your right side as well, didn’t you Noh? Let me see that as well.” He gingerly pulled his shorts to one side to reveal the area that was causing him the most discomfort.

 

Noh’s skin was a mass of different colours, purple, yellow and a livid red. The whole side was swollen and inflamed as well.

 

P’Im started to cry, she was so overcome with pity for Noh, who she had known and helped look after since he was a little boy. P’Ann was also very upset, but she knew she needed to be strong and practical to help Noh through this ordeal. In a matter of fact way, she told him to tuck his shirt in again.

 

“I don’t think you should go to school today Noh, I think we should take you to the Doctor. Your injuries are far worse than I first realised……..” Noh quickly interrupted P’Ann.

 

“I can’t P’Ann, I’ve got important exams coming up, I have to do well in them, I can’t afford to take time off!” Noh started to become agitated, his voice breaking.

 

P’Ann gently rested her hand on Noh’s arm. “Okay Noh, don’t get upset, but I don’t want any excuses now, I’m taking you to the Doctor tomorrow and I want no arguments, right? I’ll ring your school today and tell them what’s happened and say you’ve to do nothing physical today, and I’ll let them know you’ll be going to see the Doctor.”

 

Noh nodded his head wearily. Deep down he knew P’Ann was right.

 

“Come on now Noh, get your breakfast.” P’Im drew Noh towards the dining table where everything was ready. Both women fussed around him, trying to tempt him with different foods, but Noh had no appetite today. After forcing a few mouthfuls down, and a glass of milk, he thanked them both and making his way to the front door, he put on his shoes.

 

“Don’t hesitate to ring me if you feel unwell Noh, and I’ll come straight away and collect you, promise you’ll ring me?” P’Ann looked anxiously up at Noh. He reassured her he would and after a small smile and a wave he picked up his bag and left.

 

By the time he arrived at school, Noh was exhausted. The journey to school seemed to be long this morning, and every bump and jolt of the bus reminded him of his injuries.

 

Ohm was waiting for him near the school gate, looking at him with a worried frown as he approached.

 

“Hey, Noh! How are you feeling today? I can see all the bruises on your legs and arms! What about the pain in your side? How’s that now?”

 

Noh held up his hand. “Stop, stop! You look far worse than me! They made a real mess of your face, didn’t they? That’s a beauty of a black eye you’ve got there, and your lip! You’ll not be giving anyone any kisses for a while will you?” Because most of Ohm’s injuries were on his face, he certainly looked a lot worse than Noh.

 

Ohm chuckled. “Mine are all superficial Noh, your injuries to your body are more serious. I didn’t expect you to come to school today to be honest. I wonder how Tam is today, I felt very sorry for him, being targeted like that.”

 

Noh nodded in agreement. “Such a senseless thing to do, they’re just cowards aren’t they, picking on someone who couldn’t defend himself.” Just then some of their other classmates came around the corner, and looked shocked to see the state of their friends.

 

“What’s happened to you two?” They spoke in unison. After Ohm started to give a brief explanation, they suddenly realised the teacher on gate duty was glaring at them and they quickly made their way into school before they got into more trouble.

 

Ohm carried on his tale of how Noh and himself got their injuries once they were in the classroom, but Noh just found his seat and sat down thankfully. Soon the teacher entered the class and the chatting stopped.

 

Noh was finding it hard to concentrate, his body was aching so much. Ohm looked at his friend with concern, he knew Noh’s injuries were much worse than he was admitting.

 

Mid-morning there was a tap on the classroom door, and the school’s Head teacher entered the room, closely followed by a man and a boy. As the students looked up from their studies and saw their Head, they immediately stood respectfully.

 

The Head spoke. “Sit down boys, except Noh and Ohm, will you two come here please.” There was a rustle of movement as the class sat down, and a murmur from them wondering what was happening.

 

Noh couldn’t help wincing as he moved forward, but as he walked towards the visitors he realised it was Mr. Juntasa and Tam, both smiling.

 

Ohm and Noh were pleased to see them, and after greeting each other, the Head spoke to them. “I’ve been hearing from Mr. Juntasa about how you went to help his son, Tam, last night when he was being attacked. I can see by the injuries on all three of you that you certainly took a beating! I’m very proud of you, trying to defend someone else like that, I hope your parents will be as well.”

 

There was a spontaneous round of applause from their classmates, much to Ohm and Noh’s embarrassment!

 

“Now, you two, Mr. Juntasa wants to have a word with you.” Turning to the class teacher he said, “I’ll take them all to my office, I won’t keep them for too long, I know they’re busy studying.”

 

When they were sitting in the Head’s office, Tam’s father once again thanked Noh and Ohm for going to his son’s aid. Ohm spoke.

 

“We don’t need thanks Sir, we were glad to help. Hopefully our injuries will heal soon, especially Noh and Tam, they got the worst of it.”

 

Mr. Juntasa nodded. “We’d like to take you two out for a meal, if you would allow us, just a small gesture of thanks to you both. Would you be up to coming out this evening? What about you Noh, are you feeling well enough to come with us, we can postpone it if you would rather leave it for now?”

 

Noh nodded his head. “I should be alright Sir, so long as it isn’t late.” Ohm grinned at his friend. “I’m happy to go as well Mr. Juntasa, I can keep an eye on Noh then.” Noh nudged Ohm, and rolled his eyes at him.

 

Tam couldn’t help laugh at his two saviours, and his father smiled. “That’s great news! My wife will be so happy. Shall I pick you up after school? You won’t be home late then.”

 

The Head nodded his approval. “That’s good, you’ll still have time to do your homework then!” Noh and Ohm groaned simultaneously.

 

After saying their goodbyes to Tam and Mr. Juntasa, the two friends made their way slowly back to their classroom, and studying.

 

It was an arduous day for Noh, several times he wished he had listened to P’Ann and stayed at home. The end of lessons bell finally rang, and Ohm and Noh made their way towards the gate to wait for the Juntasa family to pick them up. The car finally came into view and after saying goodbye to their friends they climbed into the car.

 

Mrs. Juntasa was very pleased to see the boys, but upset to see their injuries now so lividly showing. Ohm smiled at her. “Don’t worry, we’ll be fine eventually, I’m sure. It’ll take a while to recover but we’re young and fit, that should stand us in good stead!” Tam’s dad nodded in agreement. “Come on now Intira, we’re going to have a nice meal and enjoy ourselves, okay? No more fussing the youngsters, right?”

 

Tam’s mum smiled then. “Of course Ned, you’re quite right. Now, where do you boys fancy going for the meal? You choose!”

 

After much debate, the three boys decided on a popular Thai Restaurant in the Centre of the shopping Mall. Once they were all settled and the food had been ordered Mr. Juntasa started to tell them stories about some funny incidents that happened at his place of work, and he was soon making them laugh, lightening the mood considerably.

 

When their food finally arrived Ohm started tucking in as always, but he soon realised that Noh, who normally ate as much as he did, was barely touching his food. He spoke quietly to him. “You okay Noh? It’s not like you to hardly eat anything.”

 

Noh tried to smile, but Ohm knew he was struggling. “I’m just not hungry at the moment Ohm, sorry.” He looked apologetically at Mrs. Juntasa. “Don’t you worry about anything Noh, just try and eat a little if you can okay?” Noh nodded, and tried to eat some rice and vegetables, but found it very hard to swallow.

 

The meal was finally over and the group walked slowly back to the car, Ohm carefully watching over his friend who was beginning to look extremely pale and tired. Mr. Juntasa drove to Noh’s house first, and after he pulled up outside the house he quickly left the car and walked with Ohm and Noh to his door. P’Ann answered the door almost immediately, looking anxiously at Noh.

 

Tam’s father introduced himself to her and expressed his concern for Noh. She told him she was taking Noh to the Doctor’s in the morning and Mr. Juntasa looked relieved. “That’s good to hear, this poor young man is not at all well, would it be alright if I rang you tomorrow when he’s been to see the Doctor? My wife and I are worried about him.”

 

P’Ann nodded. “Yes of course, that’s fine. Thank you for taking them out, it was very kind of you.” She turned to Ohm then, he was one of Noh’s friends who was a particular favourite of hers. “Gosh Ohm, you’re in a mess as well, aren’t you? You’d better get yourself home, get some rest. I’ll give you a ring tomorrow and let you know what happens at the Doctor’s okay?”

 

Ohm smiled at P’Ann but after giving his friend a light hug and urging him to get some rest, he turned away towards the car, unable to hold the tears back any longer, his fears for his best friend spilling over finally.

 

Noh felt so ill. He painfully lowered himself onto the sofa and gratefully accepted P’Ann’s fussing around him, fetching him painkillers and water.

 

“Noh, I spoke to your Ma today. She and your Pa are travelling from London to Liverpool tomorrow. I told her about you being hurt……” Noh gasped. “P’Ann! You shouldn’t have done that, now she’ll just be really worried! They’re thousands of miles away, what can they do?”

 

“I’m sorry Noh, but she and your Pa need to know what’s happened. They left me in charge and it’s my duty to tell them. They won’t be very happy if they find out I hadn’t informed them, will they? Your Ma wants me to keep in touch, and she’ll come back if necessary. Come on now, take those pills and I think it would be best if you go up to your room to rest.”

 

Noh acknowledged this was the best thing to do. After slowly mounting the stairs he entered his room and gingerly lay on his bed, his head now hurting as well as his body. He lay for a few minutes with his forearm covering his eyes, trying to relax and hoping the pain would subside.

 

As always, his thoughts turned to Phun. The person he loved most in the world and was a long way from him tonight. If only Phun was here now, he thought, he would take this pain away with gentle kisses, warm hugs and loving words. Once again Noh’s tears fell and his sobs filled the lonely room.

 

  1. he fell into a restless sleep, and when he woke again his room was in darkness.

 

The pain in his side was much worse now, and as he tried to get out of his bed he cried out in agony, stabbing pains shooting up the side of his body, taking his breath away. Noh knew he needed to get to his phone that was on the bedside cabinet to call P’Ann, he needed help desperately. He managed to reach the phone but to his horror he remembered the battery needed recharging! Instead he shouted her name but he was so weak he knew she wouldn’t hear him.

 

He tried again to get off the bed, and in terrible pain he managed to slide down onto the floor, kneeling on his rug whilst clutching his duvet for support. From there he began to try and crawl towards his door, the effort was making him feel nauseous and the perspiration was running down his face and back.

 

The struggle was taking its toll on Noh, but he knew he must keep going and finally he reached the door and opened it.

 

P’Ann was putting away some shopping in the cupboard in the hallway, when she thought she heard a cry. She immediately stopped what she was doing and ran towards the stairs. She again heard a faint voice and as she ran up the stairs she saw Noh halfway out of his bedroom door, sprawled on the floor.

 

She shrieked his name out in terror, but Noh didn’t hear her.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A/N Apologies for the lateness of this chapter, ill health and ‘losing the plot’ were the culprits I’m afraid. Many thanks to the wonderful Jae M Le for his continuous encouragement. I think I’m on track again, I’ve even started on Chapter 4!

I’d love to know what you think of the story so far, please feel free to comment!

Pam

Disclaimer: I own none of the original characters, they belong to their author Indrytimes.