Love Sick - New Horizons Chapter 2

Love Sick - New Horizons Chapter 1

Love Sick – New Horizons

Chapter Two

Noh quickly hurried down the stairs, hastily tucking his school shirt into his blue shorts.  He threw his school case onto the sofa and as he approached the kitchen P’Ann looked around and he could see she was grinning widely.

“Aha!  So my threats worked eventually then, did they master Noh?”  P’Ann started to chuckle to herself as she turned back to her cooking.

Noh couldn’t help but grin back at her.  “Okay, okay, you win!  It was the threat of the wet flannel that finally made me decide to get out of my bed!  Just you wait until my Ma comes back from England, I’m going to tell her what you did to me, you won’t be laughing then, will you?”  Noh sat himself down at the table, smiling happily.

“Oh, I’m not worried by your threats, young man!  It was your Ma who told me to threaten you with the flannel in the first place!”  Noh burst out laughing.  “You women, I can’t get away with anything can I, I suppose P’Im will be picking on me next!  I don’t know, it’s like having three mothers, the way you gang up on me!”

P’Ann started dishing up the breakfast and brought it to the table.  “It’s only because we all love you Noh, you’ll appreciate us when you’re older, you’ll see.”

“Hum, I’ll take your word for that!  This food looks good, thanks P’Ann.”  Noh started tucking into his breakfast, realising he was actually happy to be up in plenty of time to eat before school.  As he was eating, he heard his phone beep.  Quickly looking at the screen, he saw he had a text message from Phun.

“Morning Noh!  I hope you slept well.  Have a good day at school.  Text me if you get chance.  Love you. X”

Noh smiled, his heartbeat racing.  He quickly responded.

“Morning to you Phun!  I slept well after we had our chat.  I’m just having breakfast.  Enjoy your day.  I’ll text again before I go out this evening ok?  Not sure what time I’ll be back tonight.  I love you too!”

A few seconds later a smiley face appeared on the screen.  Noh sighed with pleasure.

P’Ann gave Noh a knowing smile.  “You look happy Noh, I’m guessing that was your boyfriend Phun?”  Noh grinned as he was finishing off his food.  “It was, he gets to look around the University today, I’m hoping he’ll enjoy the experience.  These next three years are important, aren’t they? We need to be sure we pick the right courses for ourselves.  I’m quite looking forward to going to visit my chosen Unis next week as well.”

“Well, I’m glad you’re both being sensible about it all Noh.  Now, you’ll need to get a move on, it’s getting late!  Oh, it’s tonight you’re going out with Ohm isn’t it?  Are you coming home first, or going straight to Siam?”

“I’m going to nip home first to change my clothes, then Ohm is picking me up.”

P’Ann looked surprised.  “Oh?  Ohm’s Ma forgiven him at last for denting her car, has she?”  Noh couldn’t help laughing.

“Yes, once he’d paid for the repair with the money he’d been saving for a new guitar!  But I wouldn’t like to be in his shoes if he does anything else to that car.  I did offer to drive but he insists he wants to use his Ma’s, seeing as it’s cost him a lot of money!”  P’Ann and Noh laughed together and after picking up his case from the sofa, Noh bade P’Ann farewell, and slipping his shoes on, hurried off to school.

It was a strange day for Noh at school.  He knew Phun wasn’t there of course, but found himself still looking for him when they changed classrooms for different lessons.  Ohm was aware his friend was looking around and put his arm across Noh’s shoulder.  “He’s not here Noh, I can see you’re still looking!”  Ohm grinned at his friend, and was rewarded with an elbow in his ribs. 

“I know, idiot!  I’m just so used to seeing Phun here, it’s just a habit!”  Noh couldn’t help grinning back at Ohm.  “Well never you mind,” said Ohm.  “We’ll have a nice meal tonight and I’m looking forward to seeing this new film.  My brother’s been to see it and he says it’s great.  This evening is my treat as well, so it won’t cost you anything either.”

Noh looked at Ohm.  “Are you sure, Ohm?  I know you’re short of cash at present.  I can pay if you like.”

Ohm shook his head.  “No, it’s okay.  I’ve still got money left and it was my idea to take you out tonight, so I want to do it.”

Noh put his arm around his friend’s shoulder.  “Thanks Ohm, I really appreciate it.”

The school day went a lot quicker than normal, and it was very noticeable that the atmosphere was different.  Instead of the usual noisy, boisterous behaviour from the students, it was calmer and quieter.  At lunch-time Noh commented on this to Ohm as they sat eating their meal.

“Well, everyone’s aware of the importance of the coming exams aren’t they.  Their parents will be nagging them to buckle down and work hard or else suffer the consequences!  I know my parents are going overboard with the threats and worrying.  I just keep telling them that I’ll do my best.  I’m beginning to wish I had taken studying a bit more seriously a long time ago though.”  Ohm grinned sheepishly. 

“I’m sure you’ll do okay Ohm.  I really want to do well, the two Unis I’ve applied to both offer good courses.  I’ve got to do my best to be sure to be accepted by at least one of them.”  Noh was looking anxious for once, it was a tense time for them all.

“You’ll be fine as well Noh.  We’ll enjoy ourselves tonight, and then we will get back to the studying.  We can encourage each other, make sure we don’t start slacking again!”  Ohm patted his friend’s shoulder in a gesture of solidarity.

Noh hurried home after school, and quickly showered and changed into a tee-shirt and jeans.  As he waited by the window for Ohm, Noh took the chance to text Phun.  He was rewarded a couple of minutes later by a response from his love.

Phun:

“I’ve had a good day.  The Uni is huge!  Met some nice people.  Have a good evening Noh, I love you and miss you.  Roll on Friday!”

Noh:

“Can’t wait for Friday as well!  Glad you had a good day.  Love you! x

Noh was ready and waiting when Ohm pulled up outside the house in his Ma’s car.  After inspecting the rear of the car that had been damaged when Ohm reversed into the wall at his home, and marvelling at the fact that there was no sign there had ever been a dent, Noh and Ohm finally set off for Siam.

Ohm drove carefully into the car park near the shopping precinct, and found a space easily.  “At least coming at this time of the evening most shoppers are leaving to go home, aren’t they?”  commented Noh.

Ohm grinned.  “I’m glad of that Noh, I’m a bag of nerves in case I do something else to Ma’s car!  She’ll definitely kill me if I do!”  Noh laughed and patted Ohm’s arm.  “You did well, don’t worry!  There aren’t many cars, or walls, around here to get into any trouble with!”

The two friends left the car, Ohm making sure it was locked securely.

“Right Noh, where do you fancy eating tonight?  It’s a treat for you so you can choose.”

“I don’t mind Ohm, let’s just go to the nearest place that looks good!”

“Oh, somebody hungry?  No change there then!  Come on, how about this, it’s a pizza place, do you fancy that?”  Ohm pointed to a small pizzeria that didn’t look too busy.

“Looks good Ohm, I haven’t had pizza for ages!”  The two friends went inside.  While they waited for their order, the friends chatted and Noh told Ohm about his text from Phun, who seems to have enjoyed his day.

“He’s only there until Tuesday evening then his uncle will take him to the second Uni he’s visiting.  He’s lucky he has relatives so near to help him don’t you think?  When he’s at the second Uni the students go on a field trip and have to stay overnight in a forest, making their own camp etc.  I’m not sure how Phun will get on with that, he’s used to living in luxury isn’t he?”  Noh couldn’t help laughing.

“He may surprise us, Noh.  Maybe he’ll really enjoy it and surprise himself as well!”

The friends laughed again, and were pleased to see their order arriving, both being hungry by now.

After they had finished their meal, they left to make their way to the cinema.  There were a lot of people milling around, and they had a moments doubt as to whether they would be able to get in with it being so busy.  But luckily they had no trouble getting tickets, with there being 10 screens in the cinema complex the people were obviously going to see various other films.

The movie they saw was an American blockbuster that had been advertised as ‘An Action-Packed Adventure!’ and it certainly didn’t disappoint them.  As they left the cinema they couldn’t talk about anything else, marvelling at the amazing stunts, the special effects and the actors.

“I would love to be involved in the making of something like that Ohm!” said Noh excitedly, “maybe when I’ve done my course it may lead to things like that!”  Ohm grinned at his friend.

“That’s the sort of thing you need to keep focused on Noh, and I’m sure you’ll achieve your ambitions one day!” Ohm gave Noh’s shoulder a friendly squeeze.

The friends continued to make their way towards the car park, talking non-stop.  As they approached the entrance, they glanced around trying to remember which section they had parked in.  They both noticed a boy, who looked about 15, standing near the exit, talking on his phone.  Noh and Ohm carried on, then spotting their car, made their way towards it.

Suddenly, they heard shouting coming from behind them, and as they both swung around, they saw the boy who had been talking on his phone, being grabbed by three youths.  One of the thugs was screaming into the boy’s face.  “Give us your phone!  You hear me?  GIVE US IT NOW!”  The boy was frantically struggling to get away, but with three of them now hitting and punching him, he stood no chance.

It took Ohm and Noh a few seconds to register what was happening in front of them, then Ohm looked at Noh.  “We need to help him Noh!  Quick!”  They both started running towards the youths, shouting as they ran. 

“Hey, leave him alone!  Get off him!”  They saw as they got nearer, that the boy’s phone was flying out of his hand and they heard it smash as it hit the ground.  Expecting the thugs to turn tail and run, now that the object they were after was no longer any use to them, both boys were taken aback when the attackers carried on their assault on the boy, pushing him to the ground and kicking him.

Ohm and Noh were almost upon the thugs when they realised they had become the new targets, and the attackers were making a bee-line for them!

Ohm quickly glanced at Noh.  “Oh sh*t Noh!  We’re in trouble!”  The friends didn’t have chance to defend themselves as fists rained down on them, and booted feet kicked their legs and thighs mercilessly.  Ohm managed to regain his composure briefly, and landed a few good punches to the face of the nearest protagonist, but was quickly overpowered again and the onslaught continued.

Noh tried hard to help his friend, but he was no match against the three thugs.  He was pushed and punched and kicked and thrown to the ground.  One of the bullies kept kicking Noh in his side but he could do nothing except try and protect his head from the vicious attack.

The young boy, who had been so cruelly treated, was painfully trying to get up, desperate to try and help in some way.  He tried valiantly to help Noh by grabbing his assailant around the neck, but he was too small and weakened by his injuries and was easily pushed away.

Ohm was desperate now, he could see Noh was lying on the ground with his arms over his head, and the young boy had again been thrown to the floor.  Just as he was about to give up, Ohm heard the squeal of car tyres and an engine roaring as a car entered the car park. 

The driver slammed his brakes on and both driver and passenger doors were flung open.  A tall man left the car and started running towards the group.  The woman passenger quickly followed, both shouting and yelling.  The thugs looked around and all three turned and ran, laughing as they went.

The woman was crying now, and ran straight to the young boy.  “Oh Tam, Tam!  What on earth’s happened?  Are you hurt my love, Oh God, Tam!”  She knelt down beside the boy and gently cradled his head in her lap. 

The man, meanwhile, went towards Ohm, his face like thunder, and started shouting at him and trying to grab him.  Tam managed to lift his head from his mother’s lap and shouted.  “Pa!  Pa!  Don’t hurt him!  He and his friend tried to help me!  Please don’t hurt them Pa!”  His voice broke then, and he sobbed as his Ma nursed him and tried to comfort him.

Tam’s Pa was instantly sorry, and tried to help Ohm up.  Ohm shook him off.  “I’m okay, please help my friend, Noh!  I think he’s in a bad way!”  His frantic plea made Tam’s Pa hurry over to Noh.  He leaned over him, trying to assess how best to help.  Gently touching Noh’s head he spoke quietly to him.  “nong-Noh?  Are you okay?  Can you get up if I help you, do you think?” Much to Ohm’s relief he saw Noh nod his head.  Very slowly, with Tam’s Pa helping him, Noh managed to stand.

Ohm painfully got to his feet and went to his friend and put his arms around him.  “Oh Noh!  I thought you were really badly hurt, I was so worried about you!”  He heard Noh take a  sharp intake of breath.  “Sorry Noh!  Did I hurt you?”  Ohm was looking worriedly into his friend’s face. 

The pain all over Noh’s body was preventing him from talking, he leaned against Ohm trying to breathe more normally.  Very gradually his lungs began to ease, though the pain was still bad.

Tam’s mother spoke anxiously.  “Ned, these boys are all badly hurt, we need to get them to the Hospital!”

“You’re right Intira.  I think it’s best if we take them in our car, rather than wait for an ambulance, and I’ll call the Police as soon as we get there, those damn thugs need catching, and quickly!”  Tam’s father turned to Ohm and Noh.  “Are you boys okay to come with us?  It will be a lot faster, and I think we need to get you all, and especially Noh, to the Hospital as soon as we can.”

“Yes please, but I’ll have to ring my parents on the way, Noh and I came in my Ma’s car, and I don’t like to leave it here at night.  My Pa and brother are both at home, so they should be able to come and collect it.”  Ohm felt worried about the car, but his anxiety for his friend was far stronger and more important.

Tam’s Pa nodded his approval.  “Good.  What about Noh’s parents?”

Ohm explained to Tam’s father that Noh’s parents were in England on business, but he was being looked after by their housekeeper.  “I’ll ring P’Ann as well to let her know what’s happened.”

Tam’s Pa nodded.  “That’s good.”  He turned to his son. “Tam, are you going to be alright with your Ma helping you, son?  I need to help Noh and………..”  Turning to Ohm he said.  “Oh sorry young man, I don’t know your name?  We’re Ned and Intira Juntasa, you’ve met our son Tam!”

Ohm smiled for the first time.  “My name’s Ohm, I’m pleased to meet you all, I just wish the circumstances were different.  Noh is my best friend and we go to  Friday College.  We’ve been to the cinema and were just making our way home when this all happened.”  Mr. Juntasa shook his head sadly.  “What a way to end an enjoyable evening, but I’m so grateful to you both for trying to help our son, goodness knows what would have happened to him if you hadn’t intervened.”

Mrs. Juntasa spoke then, her voice breaking with emotion.  “I’m just so sorry you boys have been hurt as well……..” she couldn’t continue her sentence, but drew her son closer to her. 

Ohm spoke quietly then.  “I’m not sure we were able to do much, they took us completely by surprise.  When Tam’s phone fell out of his hand and smashed, I was sure the thugs would run off, but I think they were out to deliberately hurt someone tonight, and it didn’t matter who it was, the phone was just an excuse.”

Mr. Juntasa grimaced.  “You’re right Ohm.  Now come on, let’s get you all into the car and to the Hospital, if we go either side of you Noh, will you be able to manage to get to the car?”  Noh nodded his head, still unable to speak or breathe properly because of the pain.  “We’ll get you settled in the front seat, and we won’t be long before we get you there, and get help.”

The journey was quick, and after reporting to the Reception desk near the entrance to the Accident and Emergency Department, the group took their seats in the waiting area.  Ohm sat next to Noh, looking anxiously into his friend’s white face.  “Are you okay Noh?  Is the pain subsiding at all?”

Noh was leaning his head against the wall behind his chair.  He managed a small smile and nodded.  “It’s easing a bit now Ohm, don’t worry about me.  You look as though you got hit a lot more than me, your face is covered in cuts and grazes.  I think you are going to have a shiner of a black eye tomorrow, and that split lip looks really bad!”

“I’ll be okay, I think my injuries are superficial Noh, I’m more worried about you, that thug kept kicking you in your side didn’t he, God I wish I’d been able to help you, I felt so helpless!”

Noh put his arm slowly around Ohm’s neck, conscious of the pain in his shoulder.  “You couldn’t have done anything Ohm, don’t think like that!  Look, we’re all hurt, but we’ll all recover eventually won’t we.  Everything will look different tomorrow after a good night’s sleep.” 

After a short wait Noh’s name was called and he moved painfully towards the treatment room.  The Doctor asked him a lot of questions about how he had sustained his injuries, then made a thorough examination.  He was concerned about the severe bruising to Noh’s whole body, but particularly the area on his right side close to his appendix.  “Umm, this looks bad young man, did the attackers wear boots by any chance?”  Noh, who was trying his best not to wince with pain as the Doctor felt around the area, managed to nod and whisper yes.  “I thought so, I need you to go for an X-ray, just to be sure there’s nothing more serious going on here.”  The Doctor filled in a form and handed it to Noh.  “Follow the signs for the X-ray department, and when you’re finished they’ll give you the film so bring it back here and we’ll have a look.”  Noh thanked the Doctor and made his way outside.

Mr. Juntasa hurried towards Noh.  “How did you get on Noh?”  Noh explained about the X-ray and Mr. Juntasa immediately turned to his wife.  “I’ll go with Noh love, okay?  You’ll be alright here with Tam and Ohm?”  His wife nodded.  “Of course, you go with Noh, we’ll be fine.”

Ohm looked anxiously at Noh, wanting to go with him as well.  Noh put his hand on Ohm’s arm.  “I’ll be fine Ohm, you wait here and see the Doctor okay?”  Ohm nodded.

The X-ray procedure went smoothly and Noh and Mr. Juntasa made their way back to the A & E Department where the others were waiting anxiously.  “Is everything okay Noh?  Did they say anything to you?”  Ohm hurried to Noh, worry etched over his face.  Noh shook his head.  “The Doctor will look at the film Ohm, then he’ll decide if there is anything seriously wrong.”  Noh touched Ohm’s arm.  “Try not to worry, I’m sure I’ll be alright soon.”  Noh was trying his best to look as though things weren’t too bad, but the pain in his side was so bad, he was concerned for himself as well.

“Have you and Tam been seen by the Doctor yet Ohm?”  Noh asked.  “Yes, I have but Tam is still waiting.  It’s all just superficial as I thought, I’ve to take painkillers if the pain is bad, and try and rest.  That’ll be hard with all the work we’ve to do for our exams!”  Ohm grinned at his friend.  “It could be a great excuse to not have to work though, couldn’t it?”  Noh shook his head and smiled.  “We need to get these exams nailed though, don’t we?  Remember all that talk about studying hard so we could get into University?”  Ohm shrugged his shoulders.  “Well, it was worth a try, wasn’t it!”  Noh couldn’t help smiling at his friend.

Tam was called in next to see the Doctor, and after a few minutes emerged smiling from the cubicle.  “My injuries are like Ohm’s, just superficial thank goodness!”  Tam’s mother hugged him gently.  “That’s good news Tam.  Now we just need to get Noh seen again, and if he’s okay, we can get home.  We left the girls with your Auntie when we came to pick you up.”  Mrs. Juntasa turned to Noh and Ohm.  “We also have two little girls who are 6 and 3, my sister came to sit with them for us while we drove here to get Tam.”

Noh was called through to the Doctor’s room just then, and sat down to hear the results.  The Doctor had the X-ray up on the screen and was studying it intently.  After a couple of minutes he turned.  “Well, there seems to be some damage to your side, it’s difficult to see because of the swelling and bruising.  I think in time it will heal itself, but I must stress to you that at any time the pain gets worse you must seek medical assistance, either go to your own Doctor, or come back here.  Do you understand?”  Noh nodded.  “I’ll give you some painkillers to take, and I suggest you have a couple of days off school to rest if you can.”

After thanking the Doctor, Noh made his way to the waiting area.  He was surprised to see Ohm’s brother had arrived also, and after greeting him, explained to everyone that although there looked like some damage, the Doctor thought it would heal itself eventually.  He decided not to add the warning about seeking medical assistance if the pain increased, because everything would be alright, wouldn’t it?

While Noh was being seen by the Doctor, Mr. Juntasa had called the Police to report the attack, and the Officer had told him there had been several similar incidents reported to them and they were very keen to speak to Tam, Ohm and Noh as soon as possible.  After Tam’s father had their addresses, the group made their way outside to the car park and Mrs. Juntasa gently hugged both Ohm and Noh, thanking them again for helping Tam. 

“Now you boys keep in touch won’t you, we need to know that you are doing okay?  Thank you again for everything.”  Mr. Juntasa’s voice was thick with emotion as he shook hands with the friends.  “We’ll stay in touch, don’t worry”  Ohm said, then turning to Tam he put his arm around his shoulder.  “And you look after yourself Tam, are you listening to me?  No more getting into fights!”  Tam started to laugh.  “Okay Ohm, I’m listening!”

Noh hugged Tam as well, telling him they’d be in touch soon and go out somewhere.  With final waves, Ohm’s brother led Ohm and Noh to the car.

After they were settled in the seats, Ohm’s brother spoke.  “Well, you two have had an eventful night, haven’t you?  I must say though, I’m very proud of you both for helping Tam like that, you saved him from a lot more injuries I think.  Noh, I rang P’Ann and told her I was coming to pick you both up from the Hospital, she was very anxious, so don’t be surprised if you get an ear-bashing from her!”

Noh groaned.  “Oh great, more hassle!”  He was grinning now though, he knew it would only be because she was worried, and he certainly was used to that!

After he was dropped off at home, the expected ear-bashing didn’t materialise after all.  P’Ann tried hugging Noh instead, but after seeing how much pain he was in, she asked him if he needed anything.  “I just need my bed P’Ann, I was kicked a lot, and everywhere seems to hurt.  I expect I’ll feel a bit better tomorrow.” 

Feeling a little reassured, P’Ann agreed sleep was the best medicine, but she was concerned to see the painful way Noh made his way to the stairs.

At last, reaching the sanctity of his bedroom, Noh slowly changed into his pyjamas before painfully laying down on his bed.  He glanced at his bedside clock, noting it was almost midnight, and as he did that his eyes fell on the framed photo next to the clock.  The handsome face of his beloved Phun smiled out at him, and the longing for Phun suddenly overwhelmed him, and the tears fell.