TWIST 8: A Closer Distance

Twisted Fate

 

 

A CLOSER DISTANCE

 

DARA’s POV

 

 

My heart was beating so fast...faster and faster as I sang the next lines of the song. So far, I didn’t do any mistakes yet but I couldn’t relax because the part that I dreaded the most was about to come. Despite the blinding light of the stage, I could see and even feel the scrutinizing eyes of our classmates...of our batch mates...of the judges. Yes. These little performances of ours in this Humanities class would be evaluated by a jury consisted of various chairpersons from the College of Music and Arts. That only heightened my tension since I knew that these people were highly strict when it comes to performances so I must not make any mistakes especially now that one of the most sought-after persons in the university was performing with me. I couldn’t afford to mess up.

 

I held onto Jiyong’s hand tightly which was the sign for us to do the highlight of our lovey-dovey dance routine. He led my freezing hands to the back of his warm neck, as he brushed his lips with his tongue ever seductively, bringing an excitement to the audience. Well that’s only according to him. I knew I really can’t seduce anybody but this man in front of me seemed to be an expert on these kinds of stuffs. Well, maybe he was indeed an expert after all since I felt the anticipation of the audience despite the silence that enveloped this mini hall.

 

My chest throbbed in anxiety as our bodies got closer and closer...with his left hand slowly sliding down my waist, and his right gently caressing my cheek...our faces only an inch apart. The tension inside me became more intense as we clung into each other’s body. I forced myself not to run off the stage as I melted from his penetrating stares. I knew that this was not new to me anymore since we rehearsed this part more than a couple of times but this man named Jiyong had transformed into a seductive beast...his alter ego perhaps? I could feel the sweat surfacing my skin which worsened my discomfort. I knew I mustn’t break this staring part for it would only ruin our days of practice. I was just waiting for the lights to turn off. Yes. Once the light turns off, it would be over. ‘Bare this for a bit more Dara. It’ll be over very very soon,’ I thought as my much as I could.

 

Seconds passed yet it felt like forever. As his nose touched mine, the spotlight finally went off in sync with the ending of the song. In a matter of a split of a second I heard the roaring applause of the audience. I breathed heavily as the lights opened again, revealing the cheering crowd beneath the stage. I smiled as I realized that the performance had officially ended. We were the last one to perform so Mrs. Kim had everyone gathered on stage to hear the words of the judges.

 

The evaluation process began. Each of us received criticisms and praises but it was all worth it because Jiyong and I got the highest grade among our classmates. I was so happy that I hugged Jiyong instinctively, which earned curious looks from the people nearby.

 

A group of girls approached us and one of them asked if Jiyong and I were dating, to which we denied of course. They seemed not to believe in our denial as they walked away, still arguing with each other.

 

“Congrats Ms. Park. You did a good job,” Jiyong patted my shoulder, showing a satisfied smile to me. “I was expecting you to cower and run off the stage but surprisingly it didn’t happen AND you were able to stand that staring part longer than what I expected. I’m glad you did it perfectly.”

 

“You never know how much I forced myself to withstand that last part Jiyong! If there was a bit of delay in turning off the lights, I bet I would’ve ruined it. Thanks to the technical staff for doing a great timing too,” I chuckled.

 

“You somehow made me proud,” he said as we descended the stage. Some of our classmates congratulated us while the others started teasing us because of that performance.

 

“Somehow? You SHOULD be! I dreaded that part Jiyong so I really deserve to be thanked,” I laughed.

 

“Well thanks young lady. So conceited!” he smirked, shaking his head. I just shrugged.

 

Jiyong approached one of the members of the jury. The man was wearing a black cap and a simple gray tee. Looking at his expression, he seemed to be a very serious and strict one. He never even uttered a single word of praise during the evaluation process. Even Jiyong didn’t escape his criticism, but to my surprise Jiyong just kept on smiling as the terror judge gave his comments a while ago. I couldn’t remember his name since I was so nervous that I didn’t hear the announcement of the jurors’ names.

 

The two greeted each other and had a little chitchat. They seemed to be close to each other since the man already managed to crack a smile as they talked. After a while, Jiyong turned to me and introduced me to the man.

 

“Mr. President, this is Sandara Park...Dara this is Mr. Yang Hyun Suk, the chairman of the Entertainment Department and the President of the Executive Board of YG University,” Jiyong said.

 

Who? President? Chairman? Omo! I was speechless upon the realization of what Jiyong had said. I immediately bowed and shook hands with him. From his looks, one couldn’t recognize him at once. He didn’t even look like a very important person.

 

“So...you’re Dara. Jiyong here has been telling me stuffs about you so I’m pretty curious what kind of a person you are. He said you’re a kind person and by the looks of it, you seemed to be good. It’s nice to meet you,” Mr. Yang told me, wearing that blank expression he had during the evaluation process. I doubted if his nice words were sincere or he was just saying those because of Jiyong. I couldn’t really tell if he was being sarcastic or not.

 

“I-It’s nice to meet you too Mr. President. I-I didn’t really expect to see you in person. It’s my honor to finally meet you,” I stuttered as an unfading smile was plastered on my face. He just nodded and made a tight smile. Then he turned to Jiyong.

 

“Jiyong, I’ll go ahead. I still have an appointment with the other department heads. The boys came with me too. They should just be around here,” the president told Jiyong before turning to me. “I’m looking forward to meeting you again Ms. Park. Sorry but, for now I have to go,” I just bowed as well as Jiyong. The president patted my shoulder before heading out of the venue.

 

“You didn’t even tell me that the president is coming over?!” I asked Jiyong in a hushed tone without averting my gaze from the retreating back of the president.

 

“Mrs. Kim announced it a while ago but you weren’t listening. It’s not my fault,” he shrugged.

 

“But you didn’t inform me beforehand that he would be present today, and that he would be one of the judges! I should have done a better performance you know.” I grudgingly folded my arms in front of my chest and started heading toward the backstage to get my things.

 

“I bet the reverse would have happened,” he said nonchalantly as he walked ahead of me.

 

”What?” My eyes turned into tiny slits as he passed by me. Was he intending to start a fight again?

 

“You know what? I’m thankful that you weren’t listening to Mrs. Kim a while ago because if you did you might have cowered from extreme nervousness even before the performances began.” I saw him smirked as I followed him. Yeah...he was really fond of insulting me you know?

 

“You think so?” I asked, my voice a little quieter.

 

“Yup,” he simply answered. I didn’t reply and fell silent as we entered the dressing room. I fixed my things inside my bag and zipped it as I took the paper bag which contained my sneakers. I stood up and quietly walked out of the room without waiting for Jiyong. I headed towards the rest room and changed to more comfortable clothing.

 

Was I really like that? Would I really cower easily if I happened to know it ahead of time? Maybe Jiyong was right. Sometimes I tend to be a loser...a loser indeed. I looked at myself in the mirror in front of me. ‘How would you become a successful designer if you’re such a loser Dara?’ I thought to myself as I continued to stare at my reflection. My train of thoughts broke off as some of my classmates went in. I heard them congratulate me but all their words seemed to be so distant. I went out of the restroom but I was surprised when someone pulled my right arm from behind and felt the arms embracing me.

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel bad,” Jiyong said as he held me tighter. “Don’t think lowly about yourself. You’re good...no...You’re the best. I’m proud of you,” he continued. I was speechless. My vision began to blur because of the tears surfacing my eyes. I was caught off-guard by his sudden gesture and I didn’t know what to react. He was able to see through me.

 

“You were just so obvious Dara and guilt crept through my veins. You take joke so seriously you know that?” he laughed without moving an inch from me. I just smiled and said, “I’m overly sensitive especially when it comes to my ego. I can’t do anything with that.”

 

“Confidence solves that. Let me teach you how to have some,” he chuckled.

 

“Woa! Is there something going on in here??” I immediately broke from the hug and wiped my tears as I heard Seurgri’s voice behind me.

 

“It seems like the two of you are moving on to the next level huh?” Daesung teased as he walked towards us, together with Seungri and TOP.

 

“It’s not like what you think!” I said at once. I elbowed Jiyong but he just laughed at me.

 

“Don’t be defensive noona. We’re just asking you know,” Daesung continued to tease me. I saw TOP laughed too behind him.

 

Aigoo! They got the wrong idea!

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------

(At President YG’s office)

 

President and Chairman Yang Hyun Suk summoned the Bigbang boys in his office. He wanted to talk about the featuring in one of Bigbang’s new set of songs. He wanted to make sure that all must be settled before the day ends.

 

The office wasn’t the typical one that you find in other companies. It had a cozy feeling once you get inside so Daesung and Seungri immediately sat on the sofa comfortably as Jiyong and TOP took the seats in front of the president’s desk.

 

“So...uhmm...what do you think of Dara?” Jiyong asked as everyone settled down.

 

“Since you already opened it up, I’m gonna be honest about it. The two of you pulled off a good performance a while ago but it didn’t show me her potential. You mainly controlled the whole performance Jiyong. I know you were trying your best not to eat her performance on stage but you were just too strong for her. If that’s the case, how would she collaborate with all of you? If you, Jiyong, was strong for her how much more if she was on stage performing with the rest of you guys? I could see her shrink and I fear it might just traumatize her,” the president stated. Everyone fell silent as the president continued. “Now I want to know your plan about this featuring that you want to have.”

 

“We thought of looking for a possible person who will feature in Hello aside from Dara but we think she suits the song. Her sweet refreshing voice would fit with my voice and the upbeat music of the song,” Jiyong told him.

 

“Is that really the whole group’s perception or only yours Jiyong? I know you. If you want something, you keep on insisting until you get what you want,” the president asked as he folded his arms in front of his chest.

 

“Well...that’s...” Jiyong seemed not to know what to respond on such a straightforward statement.

 

“Actually it was I who suggested her to feature in Hello and we all thought she has the kind of voice that would captivate the audience not because of its power but because of its uniqueness,” Daesung inserted.

 

“Why not feature a trainee from the whole team instead? Or Yoona perhaps?” the president suggested. The boys exchanged meaningful looks. “We all know Yoona is a good singer. Why not feature her? Besides, it would be her first time to collaborate with you guys,” the president continued.

 

“We didn’t consider anyone from the team because we know that the people here in YGU already knew about them being part of the Entertainment Team. It would defeat the purpose of surprising the whole campus. We thought of featuring someone outside the team. That would create a big surprise to the audience since they will probably expect that we will feature someone from the team,” Jiyong answered.

 

“In the case of Yoona, we also considered her but I think her voice would not really fit the beat of the music. We all know that she has a powerful voice. No doubt about that. But as I’ve said a while ago, we’re looking for the right voice that would captivate the audience because of its freshness and sweetness,” said Daesung.

 

“And as far as we know, Yoona is currently on leave. We don’t have enough time to wait for her in case you wanted her to be the one who will feature,” Top butted in.

 

“But Yoona has come back already and her leave is going to end soon. Actually sooner than what was agreed,” the president countered.

 

“Mr. President, I think you should give us the chance to prove to you that we can be trusted and that we can stand on our own decisions,” said Seungri, making the others look at him with bulging eyes. They didn’t expect something blunt like that would spit out from the maknae’s mouth. The room was suddenly filled with awkward silence.

 

“What? Did I say something wrong…again?” the poor maknae innocently asked as the other boys looked at him piercingly. Nobody dared to answer him as they waited for the president to say something.

 

“It’s not that I don’t trust you guys...but it’s Dara who I’m concerned about too. Did you tell her about this yet? Did she agree with your plan? Basing from her performance a while ago how would you improve her skills or talents in less than a month? In the end, I want to invest on something worthy...on someone who deserves it. Would she really want to pursue this kind of career path? After all she is just an ordinary student. After the music festival, you can’t expect her to be a common student in this University again,” the president said.

 

“I think, give Dara the chance to prove herself too Sir. We can’t tell if she does want to have a career like us but we want her to at least try it and maybe through her we could inspire talented students out there who are just contented in hiding their talents and skills. Dara may not like to be part of the Entertainment Team in the future but at least she tried,” Seungri stated, making the other boys stare at him in awe.

 

“Well...I guess I have no choice eh? You all seem to be eager in pursuing Dara in this project. If that’s what you want, then I’ll leave it to you guys. I guess it’s time for you to be in control. But remember to always consider everything first before acting on what you plan okay? For now, I’ll rest my case,” the president chuckled.

 

The room was immediately filled with light atmosphere. The rest of the Bigbang boys left the President’s office with a contented feeling. It was as if they had gone through an on the spot oral defense. It was definitely one of the tight moments they had ever experienced since they started as BIGBANG. This was the first time they were allowed by the President to do things their own way. It was all thanks to the courageous maknae.

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

DARA’s POV

 

(At the Library)

 

I scanned through the colorful glossy pages of the book which was recommended to me by Min Jung. I asked her if she had some reference materials about fashion designing or anything related to it. She recommended me this book which, according to her, she had been reading for the past weeks. The book certainly had interesting topics and articles in it about fashion designing but as I read its contents, it didn’t provided the information I needed. I was mainly looking for some information about textile or any fabric-related books since I was planning to innovate from the traditional materials used by most fashion designers of today. I wanted to divert from the conventional approach to fashion. I wanted my designs to be unexpectedly unique, elegant yet simple, expressive, and voguish.

 

So I went to the shelves again and looked for other reference materials. I took two books and walked back to my seat. It was actually my first time to go here. The library was huge and was very conducive for studying. The place was cozy and several tables and chairs were spread out throughout the room. At least I found a place, aside from the Garden of Kismet, where I could focus on my activities. All the designs I created for the upcoming fashion event were done already. I just need to find the right fabric materials that would suit the coming winter season.

 

As I browsed the pages of the books I took from the shelf, I was able to find the kinds of fabric that I was actually looking for. I took note of it and surfed the net through my phone to know where I could buy it and how much it would cost me to buy such materials...but as I browsed through different websites and online stores, these kinds of fabrics were actually expensive even if some were already offered at lower prices online. Suddenly someone sat beside me.

 

“Oh Jiyong...what are you doing here?” I asked without averting my eyes from my phone.

 

“Nothing. I just happen to go here and I thought I saw you so I went here. Indeed it’s you. So...what’s up?” he asked while placing his stuffs on the table. “What are you searching for by the way? You seem to be so serious,” Jiyong asked as he sat comfortably beside me.

 

“I’m actually looking for stores that sell textile materials at lower prices but it seems like I can’t find one,” I told him as I continued to browse through the internet.

 

“For what?” he asked.

 

“Oh it was just for my designs. I’m planning to buy today the materials I need so I could start making the actual dresses for the upcoming event at the end of the month,” I answered casually.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me? I can actually help you buy the materials you need at a cheaper price,” said Jiyong. I looked at him to see whether he was just saying things again for the sake of just saying it, but it looked like he was sincere.

 

“How?”

 

“I know some stores that sell quality fabric materials and accessories. But since our family has been loyal to those stores, we, especially I and my sister, are given discounts on our regular purchases. The supplies they sell are actually made from local raw materials and are mostly exported to Asian and European countries. Just name them your style for your designs and they surely have it,” he told me.

 

“Really? How did you know about such stores? I mean I didn’t expect that you have such connections to fashion since you’re a musician,” I asked instinctively, quite interested on this unpredictable guy beside me.

 

“My sister is a model and she is the one choosing the set of clothes that she wears in every event she attended and participated in. She is very meticulous in choosing her clothes because she really pays attention to every detail of the clothes before buying it or wearing it. She is the one behind my fashion sense and also my fashion companion that’s why I had such connections. Satisfied now?” he lightly chuckled, raising his brow.

 

“Oh I see...” I mouthed as I nodded.

 

“Hmmm...so...do you still have classes later?” he suddenly asked, turning to me.

 

“Nope. Why do you ask?” I said. Then all of a sudden, he stood up, held my wrist and practically dragged me out of the library, earning curious looks from the people nearby.

 

“Hey! What are you doing?? Where are we going?” I whispered as I tried to unclasp his hand from my wrist.

 

“We’ll go to the stores and buy the materials you need,” he simply answered.

 

“Now??” I asked as he continued to drag me out of the library. He was really an unpredictable one...and annoying too in some ways.

 

He just nodded and said, “We have to be there before the shops close.” He held me tighter as we went out of the library.

 

“O-okay...but you don’t have to drag me out of the blue you know. You could have just told me and I’ll definitely go with you,” I said. Did he think I was a ragged doll to act like this? Aigoo Kwon Jiyong!

 

“Okay,” he simply said as we entered the elevator. I felt uneasy when people inside the elevator curiously looked at us as we went down. As we reached the ground floor and the door opened, we walked to his car and immediately drove out of the campus. Minutes of silence passed when Jiyong the music player.

 

“Jiyong...” I said but I guess he didn’t hear me since he didn’t reply. “Jiyong?” I asked in a more audible voice.

 

“Hmm?” he said with his eyes fixed on the road.

 

“Actually it’s okay if we don’t go to the stores now. I mean, you’re busy...so it’s okay if I’ll just go there myself. You don’t really have to do this,” I said while looking outside the window. Yes I already rode with him before but I wasn’t still used to it. It felt a little awkward.

 

“No, don’t mind me. It’s really okay. Besides, we’re done for this day and we already talked to the President so I’m practically not busy...for the moment,” he chuckled causing the atmosphere to be lighter. Awkward silence immediately filled the air again.

 

“Hey...it’s really okay,” he patted my shoulder. I just managed to nod and pose a tight smile as I looked directly at the road ahead. I couldn’t answer since he was driving so fast. It’s like we were flying down the street and I feared that we might get into an accident. I couldn’t even call his attention because of the mounting nervousness I felt.

 

After a few minutes he turned right, slowed down and halted to park his car. “Dara? Are you okay?” he asked as he turned off the headlights. I just nodded and breathed heavily.

 

“Are you really okay? It looks like you’re sick,” he said and placed his palm on my forehead to check my temperature. “Well, you’re not sick...but what happened to you?” he asked as he turned off the car engine. My breathing returned to normal after a while.

 

“You drive so fast Jiyong...I feared that we might get into an accident,” I said as we went out of his car.

 

“Oh...is that the reason while you looked like you’re about to vomit a while ago?” he laughed.

 

“Whatever,” I snapped. “If you continue to drive as if you’re in a race I’ll tell you, you’ll have broken bones in the very near future,” I told him as we walked through the busy streets of Hongdae. “Okay mom,” he said as he made faces.

 

“Yah!” I lightly slapped his right arm and started running ahead.

 

“Ouch! You ahjumma!” he said as he chased me.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------

(At the Catharsis)

 

The crowd continued to cheer as Chaerin and Bom ended their last performance for the night. They performed love song medleys for the audience to enjoy. It wasn’t their usual format for their performances so listening to their sequence of songs made the people more engaged as they anticipate for the next lines of famous love songs.

 

“I think tonight’s performance was one of the most cheered since I worked here. The audience is so amazing!” Chaerin said as the two of them descended the stage.

 

“And it’s because of your charisma. You really got them into our songs,” said Bom, chuckling as she held onto Chaerin’s right arm.

 

“Nope. It’s OUR charisma that made them excited. Without you, it would have been a boring one I guess,” Chaerin laughed.

 

“Okay...okay. If that’s what you think...” Bom chuckled.

 

As the two of them opened the dressing room, both were surprised to see a bouquet of white roses on Bom’s desk.

 

“That guy’s a consistent one huh? I guess you really have yourself a suitor unnie...ayiiee!” the younger lady exclaimed as the two of them neared their desks.

 

“Suitor? I guess not Chae…that person can’t even show himself to me…he’s just playing a game and I tell you I’m not interested,” Bom said as she took the bouquet and read the card enclosed in it.

 

“Not interested? I doubt that unnie. You’re even holding that bouquet. If you’re not interested, why bother reading that card instead of throwing it to the trash can huh?” Chaerin eyed her teasingly.

 

“Am I not allowed to see it first? Who knows it might be from someone I know,” Bom shrugged as she continued looking at the card.

 

“Why so defensive?” the younger one teased more.

 

“I’m not! Tsk...whatever Chae!” Bom just shook her head as she placed the bouquet on top of her desk.

 

“So...what does it say unnie?” Chaerin curiously asked as she walked towards Bom.

 

“Just nonsense,” Bom answered.

 

“Hmmm...really? Let me take a look.” Chaerin took the card from the flowers.

 

‘Thy beauty radiates throughout the entire stage.

And thy porcelain skin denies your age.

– S.’

 

“Wow unnie! That person’s a romantic one huh? Did he came from the medieval era or was he just a naturally poetic one? This guy is slowly gaining my interest,” Chaerin wondered.

 

“Whatever...if I know, that person just got that phrase somewhere,” Bom stated as she fixed her things inside her bag.

 

“Aren’t you curious about him unnie?” the younger one asked as she put some peachy gloss on her lips.

 

“Hmmm...I do wonder who that person might be but I won’t care unless he shows himself to me,” said Bom as they went out of their dressing room, carrying the bouquet of white roses from her desk.

 

As they walked through the dark hall of the back stage of Catharsis, Bom accidentally bumped into someone causing her bag to fall on the floor. The guy was wearing a dark-colored hoodie and was inconspicuously looking at her.

 

“Sorry,” the guy said as he picked up the bag of Bom from the shiny tiled floor.

 

“It’s okay...my fault,” Bom said smilingly as she got her bag from the guy. She and Chaerin continued to walk ahead without bothering to look back at the guy. Unknown to them, the guy smiled before walking to the opposite direction.

 

---------------------------------------------------

DARA’s POV

 

Droplets of rain started to pour down as we walked down the sidewalk. But as the rain started to pour down heavily, Jiyong and I decided to eat dinner at a nearby eatery to pass the time. It was the place Bom and I often went to before. The meals here were so delicious but really affordable. We sat near the east wing window. Jiyong ordered his meal first so I texted mom that I won’t be having a dinner at home.  I stood up and went to the counter as soon as Jiyong returned carrying his ordered meal. I went back immediately with a plate of Korean beef steak and a hot bowl of soup on my tray.

 

“I bet you haven’t eaten in this kind of place before, have you?” I said as I sipped my soup.

 

“I did once before,” he simply answered.

 

“Really? When?” I immediately got curious on what he said. I didn’t expect that from him. A rich guy eating in this kind of place? Most people eating here were just common laborers. Yeah, some rich people might not always wear the way they should be but this guy? Jiyong? It was quite intresting.

 

“That was a long time ago. I’m not really good at recalling things but I think this was also the place my sister and I went to before,” he told me.

 

“Oh really? What a coincidence. Tell me more about your experience then,” I said, not hiding my interest.

 

“As I’ve said I’m not good in remembering things.”

 

“But maybe you could still remember at least some of it...”

 

“Hmmm...well...as far as I remembered there was this hilarious kid who sat not too far from our table. I think she was with an older lady and a girl of her age too. She got into a fight with a fat boy for a reason I didn’t know. She was a bit skinny and pale too so when she attacked the guy, she just bounced back and fell down on the floor,” said Jiyong. But as he continued to narrate the story, it triggered a memory in my head. “I knew she felt embarrassed so she attacked again the guy but her companions stopped her. But when the guy was about to hit the frail-looking girl, the other girl spanked him. It caused a great commotion. Actually those two girls were really funny. The smaller one seemed like a common victim of bullying in school while the other girl seemed to be the one bullying kids. I commended the latter’s prowess in physical fight. You see she was able to knock down the fat kid,” Jiyong continued laughingly as he continued recalling his story.

 

“Did the frail-looking girl wear a pink hoodie that time?”I asked instinctively as I stopped eating and stared at him.

 

“Hmmm...yeah...I think so. And if I’m not mistaken she was even holding an ugly-looking dark-colored bunny stuffed toy. No, it can’t even be called “stuffed” because the toy looked as if it was sick. Hahaha!!!” Jiyong continued to laugh as if I wasn’t there. He was really amused...obviously.

 

“What about the other girl? The one that you thought was a bully? Was she wearing a blue striped sweat pants and white shirt with a printed black cat on it?” I asked as I looked at the busy people walking outside the transparent misty glass beside us.

 

“Pretty yes...but...hey! How did you know about that?? Are you some kind of a psychic or whatsoever?” I didn’t respond. He was silent for a moment. I could see from my peripheral view that he was intently looking at me, curiously eyeing me. Then suddenly, he lean forward and whispered, “Tell me. Do you have some kind of a mind power? Do you read minds of other people...huh?”

 

“What?!?” I turned to him, surprised with what he just said.

 

“Come on. Don’t worry. It will just be a secret between you and me. I’m not a gossiper so no worries,” he said reassuringly and even winked at me. Ha! Was he really serious in thinking that I was such a weirdo?! He could be really stupid sometimes.

 

“And how did you come up with such conclusion huh? Those things don’t even exist, Jiyong,” I just chuckled.

 

“Well that could be, but maybe you’re an exception. Am I right?” He looked at me as if I was such a rare discovery. I just stared at him blankly and just shook my head. “If you’re not a mind reader, then how did you know some of the details of my story huh?” he asked as we resumed eating. I didn’t respond.

 

“If you’re not going to say something then I’ll assume you’re really a mind reader,” he said without averting his attention from his food.

 

I hesitated at first but I chose to tell him a humiliating truth. “Well...that frail-looking girl you’re saying a while ago...was actually me...and that bully girl was actually my sister. We went here with our mom that time,” I said in a slightly audible tone.

 

“Really?” Jiyong asked as he looked up at me. I just nodded and together we laughed at ourselves.

 

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude about it,” he said after a while.

 

“No it’s okay. We all have our own embarrassing moments especially in our childhood days. It just so happen that you were there to witness mine,” I simply remarked.

 

We continued eating as we enjoyed conversing about the rest of the story. I narrated the reason behind that fight with the fat guy, and he also told me his joy and excitement when he first ate his meal in a place like this. He said it was one of the most memorable experiences during his childhood.

 

“Thank you,” he suddenly said as we finished eating our meal.

 

“For what?” I asked him instinctively.

 

“For inviting me to eat here. I thought I would never be able to enjoy eating in this place again.” I looked at him as we walked out of the eatery. I was about to crack a joke but the look in his face made me hesitate to do so. I may not know his own story but I knew there was something inside him, as if he was longing for something. His words and his eyes mirrored the sadness and solitude that I never noticed before. Somehow it interested me to know his story, and upon seeing the smile on his face, it made me wonder the reason behind his pain.

 

How ironic wasn’t it?

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------

DARA’s POV

 

It was already getting late when Jiyong and I decided to go home. The busy streets of Hongdae made it hard for our car to pass through the crowd, causing us to move at a slow and steady pace.

 

“Did you get all the stuffs you needed?” Jiyong asked me and the music player. I checked all the bags to see if I missed something and saw that I already got the needed materials.

 

“Yup...all are in,” I simply answered.

 

“Great. Is there anything you want to buy? Just tell me, while we’re still here in Hongdae,” he asked, his eyes fixed on the road ahead as his brows creased.

 

“Nope. There’s none. You?” I asked. He just shook his head. His attention still focused on the crowded street. It was obvious that he was trying to be a little more patient. The street seemed to be more crowded than hours ago since it was getting late already and more people were going here today especially during this hour of the day.

 

Minutes passed until we reached the main road. We had a smooth and fast trip since it was already passed the rush hours. The bright city lights illuminated our tinted car and the songs in the background filled the quiet atmosphere. Well...I wasn’t really paying attention to the music but an all familiar voice suddenly struck me. His deep and charismatic voice resonated in my ears as if an enchanting spell had pierced through my consciousness. I hadn’t heard of TOP’s rap in a long time. How I missed it. Then a realization hit me.

 

“Are these all Bigbang songs?” I asked and turned to Jiyong. He simply nodded and didn’t utter a single word. “Really?” I asked again to which he just also nodded. “I just realized that I haven’t heard any of your songs yet. Only this time...and it’s pretty good,” I said thoughtfully and continuously enjoyed the song.

 

“Good? I thought you’d say it’s great,” said Jiyong. He smirked as he glanced at me. The passing of orangey street lights revealed a part of his pallid face.

 

“W-well it’s g-great too...you know...the songs are cool and have a different hiphop feel on it. It’s different,” I said and turned again to look at the hazy view of the people walking on the sidewalk.

 

“If I know, you’re just focused on TOP’s voice. Am I right?” he asked teasingly and had a playful expression plastered on his face. I admit it. I was caught off-guard with that sudden remark. And I hate being caught especially by him...especially if it was about TOP. Aisht!

 

“A-and why w-would you say t-that??” I stuttered at his sudden question and pretended to not mind what he had said.

 

“Of course. You just realized it was our song when TOP sang his part. It was obviously his voice that caught your attention. I would even say it was him you’re referring to when you said that the songs are great,” he said thoughtfully, not averting his gaze from the road ahead.

 

“N-no it’s not. Of course not!” I said in defense and crossed my arms.

 

“Don’t deny it Dara. It’s pretty obvious you know,” he chuckled lightly, then followed by irritating giggles.

 

“Whatever! Can’t you just drive? We might get into an accident if you’re not paying attention to the road,” I snapped. He just shrugged but still continued giggling. “Jiyong!”

 

“Okay! Okay! I’ll stop,” he said but he still couldn’t hide his annoying giggles. Aisht!

 

“May I ask something?” he asked after a few minutes. I didn’t answer. After teasing me that really irked me he would still ask questions.

 

“Hey. I said may I ask something,” he asked again, not even noticing how I was a little pissed by now.

 

“You’re already asking,” I said. He shot me a deadly stare. “What is it then?”

 

“This is something personal,” he said without looking at me.

 

“It’s okay. What is it?”

 

“Since when did you have a crush on TOP hyung?” he asked in a usual casual tone.

 

“What??” My eyes widened upon hearing his question.

 

“Come on Dara it’s pretty obvious you know?” he chuckled as if there’s nothing to be surprised about his question. I averted my gaze and turned my focus on the road ahead. I felt uneasy with such a blunt question. I was silent and didn’t intend to answer the question.

 

“Dara?” he asked again. “It’s okay. You don’t have to answer it. Sorry for making you uncomfortable.”

 

He sounded so serious but, you know, it was pretty obvious that he was just using his acting skills to urge me to say something. I bet he was using a reverse psychology...saying that it was okay not to answer but for sure he still wanted to know my answer. I hesitated to say something but if I won’t answer, the awkward atmosphere would just creep upon my veins and consume us for the rest of the trip.

 

“Well...” I started and saw him immediately glanced at me. His expression was full of anticipation despite his poker face. “Well...since high school,” I said in a slightly audible tone.

 

“Really?? Since high school??” he asked to which I just slightly nodded. “How?? I mean were you schoolmates? Do you personally know him even before?” Jiyong continuously bombarded me with questions.

 

“Nope. We’re not schoolmates nor do we personally know each other,” I simply answered.

 

“Then how did you know about him?”

 

“Well...” I hesitated to continue.

 

“Well...?” he urged.

 

“Isn’t my answer enough??” I asked as I turned to him.

 

“Well...?” he asked as if he didn’t hear me. I guess there was no turning back now.

 

“Well...there was this event. It was some kind of a local concert in school and he was one of the guest performers that time. Actually he just performed once but...his charisma caught my attention...and his voice was some kind of...of...a magic spell for me...as if a trap in which I easy fell for...” I narrated dreamingly.

 

“Oww...so you’re already love-stricken to TOP hyung’s charms the first time you saw him eh?”

 

“Hmmm...you could say that,” I said thoughtfully. “His eyes...were also something. He could melt anyone with those beautiful eyes,” I said smilingly.

 

“Don’t spazz here ahjumma. You talk like you’re an obsessed fan you know that?” he snapped, ruining my mood.

 

“What did you say?? Ahjumma?! Obssessed?!” I glared at him and was about to spank him when he took a sharp turn to the left, making me fell on him. This guy is really careless. He drives as if he’s on a race track. It’s sure. He’d get into an accident if he continued to drive as if he’s a madman.

 

“Uhmm...could you get your arms off me...? Cause I can’t...drive...properly...” he said in an awkward manner. I immediately got off his arms and sat properly back on my seat.

 

“S-sorry,” I said and looked at the view outside.

 

“It’s okay,” he answered briefly. An awkward silence followed with only the music heard in the background. I could even hear the ticking of the clock in my head despite the loud music in the background.

 

Where the hell were we? How long had it been since we traveled from Hongdae? It seemed like we were on a very very long trip. I looked at my watch to verify how long were we traveling. 30 minutes? 30 minutes only?? It seemed years already especially now that the awkward atmosphere had been consuming me for...yeeaarrss.

 

After a few minutes, at last, I saw the familiar road leading to the shed where I usually wait for the bus in going to YGU. After a while he turned right to the road near our subdivision and turned left to the street where our place was located. He stopped in front of our house behind the parked pink car of Bom. Wait Bom? Oh she arrived ahead of me.

 

Jiyong immediately turned off the car engine. I was about to get off the car when he held my wrist. “Just stay put. Let me,” he said as he got off the car and immediately went to my side to open the car door for me. He took the bags from my hands and took the other stuffs from the back seat. Jiyong insisted in going inside to help me with the bags but I declined.

 

“It’s already late. You should go home now Jiyong. Thank you,” I said as I took the bags from his hands. He still insisted but I still declined his offer.

 

“Are you sure you’ll be okay with these stuffs? They’re pretty heavy,” he said, hesitating to hand me over the other bags from his hands.

 

“Yup. I’m already in my house. It’s just easy to carry it in a short distance.”

 

“Okay...then...I’ll go ahead now.” He put down the bags beside the gate and was about to go when I held his hand. He turned to me and was curiously looking at me.

 

“Thank you very much Jiyong. You were such a big help. Don’t worry, in time I’ll pay back the stuffs you bought,” I said.

 

“No. It’s okay. No worries. Consider it as a treat to a friend. We’re friends right?” he said smilingly. I just nodded and smiled. “Yup...but I’ll definitely pay you back in time,” I insisted.

 

“I said it’s really okay...but if you insist, a treat will be enough,” he said, assuring, and walked back to his car.

 

“Okay...if you say so...”

 

“Bye Dara ahjumma!” he said as he got in his car.

 

“What?!?” I yelled at him. I saw him smiled as his car retreated back. He waved a goodbye as he turned his car to the main road. I waved back until his car faded into darkness.

 

The air was getting colder. Winter season was really fast-approaching. I immediately went inside, with the shopping bags hanged on my arms. Oh yeah. Jiyong was right. The loads were pretty heavy.

 

“I’m home!” I said as I entered the house and put the bags on top of the table near the foot of the stairs.

 

“Where have you been?” someone asked. I turned, only to see Bom munching a corn on a sofa while watching a drama.

 

“Corn again? Aren’t you getting tired of eating corns everyday Bom?” I asked her as went near her.

 

“Hey! I’m eating corns every other day now you know,” she said in defense to her weird eating habit.

 

“But it’s still the same as eating every day. Aren’t you sick of eating that all your life?” I asked as I sat beside her. I took the remote control from her and turned to the other channel.

 

“It’s delicious and healthy too. Yah! Go back to the previous channel! Can’t you see I’m watching?” she said as she tried to get the remote control from my hands.

 

“Even though it’s healthy, it’s still too much. All that is too much is also not healthy,” I said, not minding her struggle to get the remote from my hands.

 

“Why are you hitting on my corns? I was the one who asked you first!” She said as she successfully took the remote from me. “Where have you been? Usually, between us, you’re the first to arrive at home, but today you’re late than the usual...and who brought you home? I heard a car stopped in front of the house. Was that Youngbae?”

 

“Am I not allowed to come home late? Don’t worry I called mom to tell that I’m coming home late. You talk like a nagging ahjumma you know,” I snapped and let her took the remote control from my hands.

 

“Whatever...then where have you gone today?”

 

“I just went shopping at Hongdae,” I simply answered.

 

“For what?” Bom asked, without averting her gaze from the television and still munching her corn.

 

“I bought materials for the Design Expo Haus event. Jiyong accompanied me there to help me find and get quality materials at low prices. He helped me get discounts from the stores there. He said he and his sisters were usual customers from the stores there so he could easily get discounts from various stores there,” I said.

 

“Oww really? Then that’s great! That would be a big help for you..so Jiyong brought you home?” she asked, and I knew she would tease me about it.

 

“Obviously. I told you he just lives at the subdivision nearby so he just dropped me by since we are going home the same way,” I simply answered.

 

“I only asked if he brought you home but you gave an answer more than what I needed. Why so defensive huh Ssantoki?” Bom asked teasingly, her brows wiggling.

 

“I’m just explaining because I know what you’re up to Bom,” I said. But her meaningful smile irked me. “Bom!”

 

“What? I didn’t say anything,” she said, obviously trying not to smile giddily.

 

“Whatever!” I stood up and went to the kitchen to see mom since I could smell the delicious food she was preparing but as I passed by a table near the kitchen door, I noticed a bouquet of white roses that was never been there before. Then I remembered Bom told us that someone from the Catharsis gave her a bouquet of flowers. It was actually the same as this one too.

 

“Bommie, another bouquet from Mr. S huh?” I as I took the flowers from the table. “Omma, did the guy go with Bommie here?” I asked loudly enough for Bom to hear.

 

“Yah! Stop it!” I heard Bom’s heavy steps from the living room.

 

“Unfortunately not my dear. Bom arrived alone while holding those flowers. Isn’t he sweet?” Omma said smilingly, obviously teasing Bom who was already behind me. Bom took the bouquet from me but I held onto the card enclosed in it.

 

‘Thy beauty radiates throughout the entire stage. And thy porcelain skin denies your age. S.’” I read the note aloud in a melodramatic way. “Wow Bommie, he’s a hopeless romantic huh?? He’s different from the previous ones...ayiie!!” I said in a playful tone. “Tell me have you seen or met Mr. S already??”

 

“No...And I don’t have any plans in meeting him or whoever that guy is...give me that!” she said as she tried to get the card from me.

 

“I wonder who that guy...if ever you meet him someday don’t forget to tell me okay?” I said as I put away the card from her grasp.

 

“Whatever you ahjumma!” she countered.

 

“Ahhhh...ahjumma huh? Come on get it from me!” I said as I ran away.

 

“Careful girls! You might get tripped okay? And be careful with the things, you might break something again!” I heard Omma’s faint voice as I ran upstairs.

 

“Ssantokiii!!! Give me that!!!” said Bom.

 

I really loved teasing Bominator. HAHA! Time for my revenge! HOHOHOHO!!!

 

 

 

 

**********************************

Sorry for the very very very late update and thanks for continuously reading.

I hope you still liked it though. Kamsa chingu! <'^_^'>