TWIST 3: Meet the Besties

Twisted Fate

MEET THE BESTIES

 

 

DARA’s POV

(AT THE CAFETERIA)

 

“Oppa, are you some kind of a heartthrob here?” I asked as we took our seats in one of the vacant tables. I could feel the deadly stares of the girls inside the cafeteria. I remembered the screaming girls a while ago. They’re really scary!

 

 

 

 

“Why do you ask?” Youngbae answered nonchalantly, putting his bag on the vacant seat beside him. I sat in front of him.

 

 

 

“I was just curious because it seems that since I came with you, girls were throwing daggering looks at me. It seems like they were jealous?” I said as I placed my things at the side.

 

 

`

He chuckled at my observation. “Don’t mind them. They’re just like that maybe because you’re new here.”

 

 

 

“But that’s creepy you know. I don’t like the feeling. Maybe they have a crush on you. Tell me, do you have a girlfriend right now?” I was excited to know about his love life. I never heard him talked about it so I guess now’s the right time to ask. “Come on! Spill it out…” I asked as I leaned closer to him. He just stared at me, wearing a blank expression. He was like that for a moment. His deep stare brought an awkward silence between us. I was feeling agitated when suddenly he burst out laughing.

 

‘Okay. I’m being laughed at again by my best friend.’ I thought maybe he declared to himself that I’m his official clown for the day. Tsk.  -_-

 

 

 

I rolled my eyes. “What’s so funny huh? Am I a clown? I didn’t even crack a joke.” I leaned back to my chair, grumping.

 

 

“H-hey…I was just…s-surp-prised with your q-question…Haha!” He said, trying hard not to burst out laughing again. What’s so funny with that? o_O

 

 

“What?” I gritted as my eyes turned into tiny slits. “What’s so funny with what I said?”

 

 

 

“Hey, relax. I was just amused by your question. That’s all. The excitement in your eyes was just sooo precious. Haha! You should have seen your face! ...Mianhe. I just missed that side of yours.” He chuckled as he pinched my cheeks. He surely knew how to get off the hook eh? Okay, explanation accepted. I think he’s not yet ready to share his love affairs, and I respect that.

 

 

After some bickering, we ordered our foods at the counter. We continued to reminisce the old days as we ate. We sometimes laughed our hearts out as we remembered our most embarrassing moments before. Ahhh….What a refreshing feeling to see someone you’ve never seen for a long time. I guess we took our time making up our lost times together.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------

 

DARA’s POV

(AFTER THE LAST CLASS)

 

RRRRRIIIIINNNNGGGGG!!!

 

 

My classmates stood up from their seats and bided our professor goodbye. I was fixing my things, readying myself to go home when my phone beeped. I received a message from Youngbae oppa. “Hey…going home? I was wondering if I can walk you home.”

 

 

‘Of course! I bet Bommie will be surprised and happy to see you.’ I replied.

 

 

 

I was walking down the stairs when my phone beeped again. “Haha! I better get ready for her Bominator stunt… X))”

 

 

 

I chuckled as I replied him, ‘Definitely! And she’s getting weirder as she gets old haha! I’ll just wait for you near the front gate okay? I’m heading there now.’

 

 

 

“Okay, see you in a while…” he replied. The sun was setting down when I went out of the campus. As soon as I reached the front gate, I sat on a bench located at the sidewalk. I was waiting for Youngbae when someone tapped my shoulder from behind. I was surprised to see TOP smiling at me.

 

 

“Hey! Going home?” he asked. I just nodded. I couldn’t seem to find my words whenever he’s in front of me. “Wanna have a ride? It’s getting late already.” I wanted to say yes, but I already accepted Youngbae’s offer a while ago. “No, it’s okay. Thanks! I’m still waiting for someone.”

 

 

“Sure?”

 

 

“Sure.”

 

 

“Okay…so uhmmm…” He glanced at his watch then, “Better go ahead. See you next time Dara. Take care okay?” TOP waved as he left. When he’s out of sight, I exhaled loudly. I didn’t realize I was holding my breath a while ago. I hope he didn’t notice it. Kyaah!!!

 

 

 

“Who was that?” Youngbae, who suddenly emerged beside me, said without looking at me.

 

 

 

“Oh! You’re here already.” I glanced at him, then back to the gate where TOP went a while ago. I can’t help but smile giddily. “That? He’s a new friend. His name was TOP. I met him this morning at the fountain before you texted me.” I told him as we walked to the parking area. He ushered me to his car. I don’t know what happened, but Youngbae’s quiet for quite some time now. Just a while ago, he was laughing in his text messages but now…it’s different.

 

 

“What’s wrong? Something happened?” I asked as I secured my seatbelt. There was no answer. I looked at him and asked again but he just gave me a lopsided smile.

 

 

‘What’s wrong with him?’ I became silent as he started the engine. He then turned the radio on.

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------

DARA’s POV

 

The whole ride was quiet, except for the music on the radio. Youngbae pulled the car to a stop in front of our apartment. He went out and assisted me as I went out of his car. I looked at him but he won’t look at me. He walked ahead of me as we went to the front door. I keyed in the door’s code and let Youngbae in.

 

 

 

“I’m home!” I announced as I saw mom from the kitchen. I offered Youngbae a seat as I went to kiss my mom. “Where’s Bom?” I asked her.

 

 

 

 

“She’s upstairs…You have a visitor?” Mom asked as we went to the living room. “Deh. Omma, this is Youngbae. Youngbae, this is my mom.”

 

 

 

 

 

“It’s nice to finally meet you Mrs. Park,” he bowed and they shook hands as they greeted each other. “He’s the friend I was talking about, Omma. We were friends since we were still in Dongcho Foundation. We were the best of friends back then and until now..”

 

 

 

 

 

We were busy chatting when Bom went down the stairs, calling for me.

 

 

 

 

 

“Darongie, where did you—?” Bommie stopped in her tracks. She frowned as she saw Youngbae beside me. “Youngbae?...YOUNGBAE!!!” she shrieked. Her eyes widened as she ran into Youngbae and hugged him tightly. The impact was strong that they both fell down on the carpeted floor. We laughed at her Bominator stunt. Unfortunately, Youngbae didn’t see it coming. Haha! I held my stomach as I laughed my heart out.

 

 

 

“Ya! Look at you! You’ve grown into a fine man Bae! How are you?!” Bom asked as he leaned away from Youngbae, still holding onto his arms, amazed by how he grew into a fine man, and how he managed to have such impressive body features. “Long time no see! So how’s New York? Huh?”

 

 

 

“He’s a big time now Bommie! He even got a car now…” I inserted.

 

 

 

 

“Waah… 5 years wasn’t that long for you to change like that Bae. It seems like yesterday, you were just a little boy who always mock Darongie…” Bom said dreamily.

 

 

 

 

“Little boy? Aigoo…you sounded like my mom! Don’t call me that again arraso? It’s…embarrassing you know.” He chuckled as he glanced to me and to omma.

 

 

 

 

Omma clasped her hands together. “Okaaay… Save the talk for later kids…I know all of you are tired so…better eat first.” Omma held Youngbae’s hand as they went to the dining room. “I prepared a korean beef stew for tonight and a delicious dessert to lighten up your mood.” Omma said as she went to the kitchen to get the food. I followed her to help in serving the dish.

 

 

 

 

 

We went back to the dining room to place the foods on the table. Omma sat at the edge of the table. I sat at her left facing Bom, who was at Omma’s right side. Youngbae sat beside Bom.

 

 

After a few minutes of silent eating, Bom started the conversation. “So as I was saying a while ago, how’s New York?” she asked without looking at him, concentrating on the meat she was slicing.

 

 

 

“It’s good.” He nodded shortly, munching a spoonful of rice.

 

 

 

“hmm…could you please elaborate how good was it?” Bom rolled her eyes as she turned to Youngbae. “

 

 

 

“There’s nothing really different between here and there when it comes to the environment, except for the fact that most of my colleagues were Americans.” Youngbae shrugged as he continued eating. “The way they treat me was just the same as you guys. The only difference is that I love you more than them.”

 

 

 

We were touched by his sudden remark. He rarely expressed his inner emotions but this time we knew he really meant it.

 

 

 

“Good. At least you haven’t truly forgotten about us.” Bom said as she continued eating, feeling satisfied.

 

 

 

“That would never happen. You know that. Both of you are my true family…ever since.” Youngbae remarked. “I can’t possibly imagine living without Bominator and Ssantoki Darongie. Haha!” He laughed as he scooped a piece of meat from his plate.

 

 

 

“And we couldn’t live without the ever-conceited Youngbae either.” I inserted.

 

 

 

“That’s good to hear, but it would be better if you said that you just can’t resist my body eh? Haha!” He laughingly teased me. See how conceited he was?

 

 

 

Bom faked a choke. “Your body? Haha! Don’t be so conceited because of that body. FYI, we see that kind of body everyday in school. Right D?” She turned to me and I nodded firmly. “So don’t go bragging that bulky body of yours.” She added.

 

 

 

“That’s not what I heard from you a while ago. You were so mesmerized by my body, remember?” Youngbae countered, wiggling his eyebrows playfully.

 

 

 

 

“Oh that? Well I was just surprised that you were able to obtain such body features. Don’t make it a big deal, Bae.” Bom snorted.

 

 

 

“Whatever,” he chuckled.

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------

(AFTER DINNER)

 

 

Bom helped Mrs. Park in washing the dishes, while Youngbae and Dara went to the living room to look for some movies to watch later.

 

 

 

“Oppa, why were you quiet during the whole ride a while ago?” Dara asked out of nowhere.

 

 

 

“Hmm? Oh that’s nothing,” Youngbae smiled. “I was just thinking of random things. Don’t mind me.”

 

 

 

“I thought I did something wrong that’s why you acted that way.” Dara said as she continued looking for interesting movie titles.

 

 

“Mianhe if I acted like that. I didn’t mean to bother you. Hehe.” Youngbae said. “Hey, how about we watch this?” He handed a dvd to Dara.

 

 

“This is horror and I don’t like to watch this kind of movie.” Dara shook his head and handed the dvd back to Youngbae and continued scanning the dvd racks. “This is scary,” he said as he read the synopsis at the back. “Exactly! That’s why we shouldn’t watch that,” she said. “No, we should. The scarier the better,” he was forcing himself not to smile. He knew Dara was easily scared by this kind of stuffs, and he wanted to and see her terrified reaction.

 

 

 

Dara’s eyes turned into tiny slits. “Ya! Are you planning to scare me off?” She slapped Youngbae’s left arm. “Aw! That hurts!” he exclaimed and caressed his pained arm.

 

 

 

“Suits you.”

 

 

 

“I guess old age makes a person grumpy.” Youngbae suddenly said. “Why did you say so?” she asked. “Look at you. It seems that you’re getting grumpier as years passed. Haha!” he burst into a hysteric laughter, which earned him another slap from Dara. “Ya! I’m not grumpy!” she exclaimed as she chased Youngbae, who started running away from her deadly blows.

 

 

 

After a few minutes, the two got tired. Dara held her knees while Youngbae put his hands in his waist as they panted heavily. Then they broke into a massive laughter. “Look at you…you looked like an old witch in your messed up hair.” Youngbae laughed at the sight of Dara’s current state. “It’s because you were so damn fast. You could have just slowed down a bit and let me tear your arms apart.” Dara chuckled.

 

 

“As if you could do that.” Youngbae smirked playfully.

 

 

 

“Ahhh…do you want a sample? Come here…” Dara signaled him to come. Youngbae declined and shook his hand. “No thanks, D. It would just be a waste of time since I know you can’t even lay a finger tip on my pretty face.” Dara was about to spat another defense when Mrs. Park went out of the kitchen.

 

 

 

“It’s funny to see you guys acting like that.” She said as she went to the two, who were still catching their breath. “You missed each other pretty much eh?” The two just chuckled at the statement of the old lady. “Just have fun arraso? I should be going to sleep now since I still do have so many things to do for tomorrow.” She then turned to Youngbae and said, “Thank you for making my daughter happy. It’s been a while since I last saw her so happy like this. Nice to meet you again, Youngbae-ssi. Sorry if I can’t join you tonight.” Mrs. Park patted his shoulder, and then went upstairs. “Enjoy the night kids, but don’t stay up very late arraso? You still have classes tomorrow. You wouldn’t want to be late again Dara. Jaljayo(goodnight)!”

 

 

 

 

As soon as the old lady went upstairs, Bom entered the living room, holding a bowl with corns in it. (Yes it’s corn as in corn, not popcorn.)

 

 

 

“So..let’s start! What movies do you have there?” Bom went to the two, asking them what movies they were going to watch. “This,” the two chorused as they both handed Bom two different dvds of different genres, Youngbae with a scary movie and Dara with an action film. Dara sharply turned to Youngbae as she insisted the dvd she was holding to Bommie. “THIS one is BETTER,” she gritted as she glared at him. “No. This one is BETTER.” He firmly said without looking at Dara.

 

 

 

“You know what? You both look stupid.” Bom chuckled as she munched the corn she was holding. The two sharply turned to her and glared at her. She knew she’s in a tight situation so she chose immediately.

 

 

“Just kidding okay? Why so serious.” She took the two dvds and studied which one she should choose. “I guess we should take this,” Bom decided to watch the horror film instead. Dara protested as Bom passed by them and went to the dvd player. “But Bommie!!!” Dara continued to whine as Bom waited for the player to read the dvd. “Ssantoki, Youngbae’s our guest for tonight and we haven’t seen him for a long time. I think we should give him what he wants for tonight.” Bom said while Youngbae just nodded, feeling satisfied with Bom’s statement.

 

 

 

“You know I can’t watch that! That…that’s…that’s SCARY!!!” Dara continued protesting.

 

 

 

“Darong, you’ve watched this countless times before so there should be no reason for you to be scared.” Bom said, not minding of Dara’s frantic actions.

 

 

 

“But—“

 

 

 

“No buts okay?” Bom cut her off. Youngbae more by saying, “Enjoy…” in a mocking tone.

 

 

 

Since she can’t do anything, Dara just sat on the sofa and gathered some pillows. She tightly hugged a pillow and hid her face as soon as she felt that the ghost in the movie would appear any time soon. Then she shrieked as she heard the scary sound effects of the movie. Bom just laughed at the scene since she found it oddly funny.

 

 

“Ya! Why are you laughing? You’re supposed to screeaAAAAMMMM!!!!” Dara screamed as she saw the scary ghost on the screen. She immediately hid behind Youngbae as she trembled.

 

 

 

Bom and Youngbae chuckled at Dara’s reaction. But after a few seconds, Youngbae patted Dara’s back. She was scared to death that she started crying. “Hey, that was just a movie. Don’t take it seriously,” he said as he calmed her.

 

 

 

“I told you, I’m easily scared by those movies. But you still insisted of watching it! I hate both of you!” Dara snorted as she continued sobbing. The other two just chuckled at Dara’s sudden outburst.

 

 

 

“Mianhe… Ssantoki... The movie will end shortly, just bear with it arraso?” Youngbae said as he caressed Dara’s back… “Ssshhh…It’s okay.”

 

 

 

Dara continued sobbing until she fell asleep on Bom’s lap. The movie ended. Youngbae changed the movie into action which Dara chose a while ago. He was about to tease Dara when Bom hushed him. Youngbae sat comfortably as they watched the movie in complete silence so that they won’t wake Dara.

 

 

 

After a few minutes of deafening silence…

 

 

BOM’s POV

 

“Make it fast Bae.” I said without looking at Youngbae.

 

 

“H-huh? Wait, the scene is getting more intense Bommie. The assassin was about to shot the girl.” He answered. His eyes intently focused on the television.

 

 

“I’m not talking about the movie!” I spanked him lightly. “Did you really think I’m watching it?”

 

 

“Aw! I guess? How would I know?” he shrugged.

 

 

 

“Whatever…as I’ve said, make it fast Bae or else you would be the loser.” I said in a serious tone.

 

 

 

“What are you talking about?” he turned to me, wearing a confused expression.

 

 

 

“I know you like her, or should I say, you love her.” I said without taking my eyes out of the television. Youngbae turned silent, his eyes on the television but not paying attention to it anymore.

 

 

“I know you loved her since we were still children...back in Dongcho. Don’t try to deny it Bae.” I continued.

 

 

“How did you know?” he asked, still looking on the TV screen.

 

 

“It’s an open secret Bae. You were extremely different when you’re in front of her. You loose your temper and you tend to show your emotions when she’s around, although you rarely show it.” I said, as if I was an expert psychologist giving him my findings haha!

 

 

“You seem to know much eh?” he chuckled. “You really sound like a real sister to her,” he chuckled.

 

 

“What’s the use of being a best friend if you don’t truly know your friends by heart and by mind?” I said matter-of-factly. “And legally, we’re sisters, you know.”

 

 

 

Well, Dara and I were not really sisters. I mean, biologically we’re not related. The three of us grew in Dongcho Foundation, an orphanage ran by nuns. We became best friends since then. When we were about 10 years old, Dara and I were adopted by Omma, so we both gained the Park surname. Dara and I regularly visited the orphanage until we’ve heard that Youngbae was adopted by the Dong family. Then one day, the three of us coincidentally met again in the orphanage. That’s when we exchanged our contacts and since then we never lost our communication.

 

 

 

Then 5 years ago, Youngbae went to New York to study Fine Arts, but a year ago he went back here to study Music in YG University. Only a few months ago did our family settle here in Seoul and finally knew Youngbae’s whereabouts.

 

 

 

“Why are you saying this to me Bom?” Youngbae turned to me, now wearing a blank expression.

 

 

“I’m just trying to say that Dara’s turned into a fine lady, and mind you, a pretty lady indeed!” I told him, like I’m a proud mother of Ssantoki...keke.. “I know you’ve noticed that too. Sooner or later, someone will come and get her away from you. You better be aware of that.”

 

 

“You knew what I feel, so I think Dara would know that too in time,” he said as he leaned back on the sofa looking at the ceiling.

 

 

 

“We’re different, Bae. Dara can be extremely dense. Don’t risk the possibility of her falling in love to someone.”

 

 

Youngbae just shrugged. “Don’t blame me if that thing happened. Don’t go running to me and tell me that I didn’t warn you and better not go to me and ask me to make her want you. I won’t do that. I’ll go with whatever Dara wants. You’re my best friend but Dara’s my best friend too, and being her sister, I want the bests of the world for her.” I told him as I looked at the TV screen.

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------

The two watched in complete silence until the movie ended. Youngbae stood up and got the dvd out of the dvd player. Bom, on the other hand, carefully placed Dara’s head on the sofa, slowly enough so Dara won’t wake up. The latter was soundly sleeping and she deserved that since she’s tired of whole day class.

 

 

 

After Youngbae placed the dvd into its case, he told Bom that he should get going since it’s getting late already.

 

 

“hmm… I better get going Bommie… it’s getting late already and I still have a class tomorrow early in the morning. I haven’t done any of my homeworks.” Youngbae chuckled.

 

 

Bom also chuckled at what Youungbae said. “Yeah, you’re right…” She said while they walk to the front door. Bom opened it and said, “Bear in mind what I told you arraso?”

 

 

 

Youngbae hugged her tightly. “Deh. Thanks Bommie...and bid me goodbye to Dara okay?” Youngbae smiled as he waved goodbye to Bom. She just nodded.

 

 

 

“Take me also on a ride in that car of yours okay?” She told him as she waved back to him.

 

 

 

“Sure. No problem.” He chuckled.

 

 

 

“I’ll take that as a promise!” Bom laughed.

 

 

 

“Okay! Haha! Bye!” Youngbae started the engine and drove off.

 

 

Bom closed the door and locked it, turned the lights off but left the side lamp open since Dara’s still sleeping on the sofa. She put a blanket on the sleeping Ssantoki and even put Tamtam beside her.

 

 

“Goodnight, Ssantoki.” Bom kissed her goodnight before going to her room.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------

YOUNGBAE’s POV

 

As soon as I arrived in my apartment, I went directly to my room and changed into more comfortable clothes. I turned my phone on and checked if there were any missed calls or text messages. I intended to turn it off since I don’t want people to disturb me while I’m with my best friends, especially when I’m with Dara. I wanted my full attention on her only.

 

 

When I saw that there were no missed calls and important messages, I placed my phone above my bedside table and turned the lights off. I went to bed and tried to sleep, but Bom’s words a while ago echoed in my head.

 

 

‘Sooner or later, someone will come and get her away from you. You better be aware of that.’

 

 

‘Don’t risk the possibility of her falling in love to someone.’

 

 

‘Don’t blame me if that thing happened. Don’t go running to me and tell me that I didn’t warn you and better not go to me and ask me to make her want you.’

 

 

Ahh!!! I can’t sleep! As if on replay, the words repeatedly echoed in my head. I admit that I was bothered by what Bom had told me. I suddenly remembered that TOP guy who talked with Dara earlier in school before we went home. I saw the glint in Dara’s eyes and it pained me to see that glint, which I knew was not because of me. I don’t want to lose her. Not now. I should do something.

 

 

With that in mind, I slowly dozed off, temporarily melting my worries away.

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading...I hope you liked the update...
Sorry for grammtical errors and typos if there's any...

 

You could also check Daragon one shot fics I've made...It's WHITE ROSE and BITTERSWEET...
  KAMSA!! ^_^