Chapter 3- Evening Poison

The Skirmish for Love

Chapter 3

...Evening Poison...

 

 

 

Onew waited in the dimly lit hallway. The five SHINee boys were at a publishing company and they had just gone through a two- hour interview with the magazine that had invited them there. At the moment, the boys were given a private lounge to help themselves to the refreshments readied by the company staffs. But Onew had an appointment to keep, and he knew that that person wouldn’t want to cancel it either.

 

The leader hummed ‘Noona Neomu Yeppeo’ to fill up the boredom. That person wasn’t usually late, and Onew was getting very impatient. The challenge that Jonghyun had proposed earlier that afternoon still lingered in his mind. If given the chance, Onew wouldn’t want to let Key out of his sight for the rest of the day, just to win the challenge and erase Jonghyun’s existence from Key’s mind forever. But the appointment couldn’t be avoided, because that person is the mastermind behind Onew’s mission.

 

The sound of footsteps came from the opposite hallway and Onew stopped humming. He could just make out the person’s features in the dim lighting; matured beyond his own age. As the person came closer, Onew could also see a small sealed bottle of a powdered concoction in his hands. His brow furrowed.

 

“What took you so long?” Onew whispered in a cold voice. “You should have been here ten minutes ago. You are aware of the challenge Jonghyun had set up, right?”

 

The person said nothing at first. He then handed Onew the bottle. “This is why I was late.” The person’s voice was deep and menacing. "It was a good thing the delivery guy even came. Or I'd sue his stupid medical pharmacy for good. And you need this item in order to win the challenge, believe me."

 

“Just a whiff at it and the victim’s pheromones will act up. Be sure to stay close to him, or the effect will wear off. It can only last for a few minutes so use it wisely.”

 

Onew smirked. “This will surely throw Jonghyun off his feet! The moment he sees Key all love drunk over me…” He chuckled, imagining Jonghyun’s priceless reaction in his mind. “I won’t fail this time. Be sure to be ready with my reward money.” Onew his lips and was about to turn and leave when the person spoke up.

 

“Make sure you succeed with the plan. Because you know I don't tolerate failures” The person's voice was dark. "I hate seeing those two. It disgusts me. Do your job, and succeed."

 

Onew grinned and bowed to the person before disappearing into the shadows. “Yes, My Lord.”

~*~

 

An empty room with just the two of them in there; it was perfect. But Jonghyun just couldn’t muster up the courage to talk to Key, who was trying his best to ignore him while playing the games on the iPad. He knew Key wasn’t the type to hold grudges, especially to him. That fact lifted his mood and he gathered all the confidence he had to comfort Key.

 

Jonghyun brought his chair closer to Key’s and rested his elbow on the table and stared softly at his boyfriend. He knew that Key knew he was there, but when he was sulking, he would try his best to not look at the person who had made him upset. The game that Key was playing was his favourite. But since the boys shared the iPad, the one who donned the high score was Taemin. Key, being the competitive diva, couldn’t tolerate that he wasn’t on top.

 

Suddenly, Key gave out a frustrated whine as he lost the game, only a few digits away from reaching Taemin’s high score. He closed the iPad and put it away and grumbled. Jonghyun chuckled. He loved it when Key was grumpy every time he lost to something. He found it adorable.

 

“Yah! What are you laughing at?” Key bristled. But his voice was like a spoilt child and made Jonghyun laugh even more. Key turned to him and pouted. “It’s not funny, you know! Try playing it if you think you’re hard enough.”

 

“Aniyo, Key,” Jonghyun said between laughter. “Don’t you know how cute you are whenever you lose to something? That’s like one in a million reasons why I love you.” As he said that, he could see a faint pink line appear across Key’s face. The boy pouted more.

 

“Yeah right, Jonghyun. If you say you love me, then why do you want me being with Onew- hyung so badly?”

 

Jonghyun hesitated, remembering what he had said in Onew’s room that afternoon. He sighed. “I’m sorry, Key. I panicked when I saw you and Onew so close to each other. The protective side of me just pops out and I couldn’t control the words that flew out of my mouth.” Jonghyun gave his best puppy dog eyes to Key as a sign to forgive him. A smile formed on the diva’s face and he lightly punched Jonghyun in the cheek.

 

“Okay, okay. I forgive you, yeobo.” Jonghyun let out a cheer and kissed Key on the lips, recalling the challenge he had made. Key was about to continue the kiss when the door to their private lounge burst open and a worried Taemin appeared at the doorway. His eyes fell on Jonghyun and the elder groaned inwardly, knowing full well what the maknae was about to ask him.

 

“Hyung! Have you seen my prince anywhere? I can’t find him!” Taemin said, his face wrinkled with worry and fear. Jonghyun reluctantly got up from his seat and Key nodded in approval. Jonghyun joined Taemin and the maknae practically dragged him around calling out Minho’s name. The boy even asked the staff workers where Minho was, much to Jonghyun's embarrassment. The elder quickly apologized to the staff as he was pulled by Taemin in circles around the publishing company.

 

Taemin was muttering worriedly about his lost prince that Jonghyun couldn't help but let loose an exasperated sigh. "Oh, where could he be, hyung? He couldn't have gone far, right?"

 

"No, Taemin. I wouldn't think so..." Jonghyun said as he was yanked by the arm as Taemin fastened his pace around the company. Suddenly, Jonghyun couldn't take it anymore. If he was going to waste his time in helping the maknae find Minho, he shouldn't have set up the 'five kisses' challenge with Onew in the first place. So he spoke up.

 

“Taemin-ah, I think Minho is probably in the men’s room…” Jonghyun said, his arm muscles aching from Taemin’s pulling. That stopped the maknae in his tracks.

 

“Oh, I don’t think I’ve checked there yet,” Taemin said in an innocent voice and Jonghyun slapped his forehead. And sure enough when they checked the restroom, Minho came out. Taemin was so overjoyed that he found his prince at last that he forgot Jonghyun was even there. The latter sighed and walked back towards the lounge.

 

But the sight that met him was not the one he was prepared for.

 

Onew had Key cornered to the wall, both his hands trapping the boy there. Key was gripping the leader’s shirt and panting heavily, his head turning from side to side like he was delirious. Onew was whispering something in the diva’s ear and his mouth travelled to the boy’s neck and gave a kiss there. Key moaned at the action and breathed out the leader’s name; like how he’d call Jonghyun’s name whenever they were making out together.

 

Jonghyun just stood at the doorway, his hand still on the doorknob as he stared open mouthed at the picture he was seeing. Onew gave him a sly smirk before giving Key a kiss on the lips and the latter responded, like he was seduced by the leader. Seeing that, Jonghyun snapped out of his shocked state and for the second time that day, tore the both of them away. He held Key’s limp body in his arms and realized that his boyfriend had fainted.

 

Jonghyun looked up at Onew just as the leader his lips with pleasure. “Great timing, Jonghyun,” Onew said and held up a small bottle. “Beautiful, isn’t it? With just one sniff of this baby, and I’ve got your boyfriend going head over heels on me.” He smirked and slipped the bottle into his pocket.

 

“Is that… some kind of drug?” Jonghyun’s voice trembled with rage. “You used drugs to cheat your way to Key! That’s against the rules!”

 

Onew raised an eyebrow in amusement. “What rules, Jonghyun? You never put in any rules. So I assume that ‘drugs’ and any other items are essential in giving Key the five kisses.” Onew smiled darkly and Jonghyun cursed under his breath as he realised his stupidity in not putting in any goddamn rules.

 

“Oh, and by the way, these are not drugs. I wouldn’t use something as dangerous as drugs to get to Key. I’d like to call it… Love Potion,” Onew snickered and Jonghyun narrowed his eyes. After that little show, Jonghyun felt like putting Key down and beat the leader up like any other rampage he’d imagined but couldn’t do. No, it wasn't that he couldn't make it happen. It was because he cared about Key. If he beat Onew into a pulp, his boyfriend would be so upset; he would never talk to Jonghyun again! The thought sent chills down his spine as he stared at Onew with hatred.

 

“More like Love Poison to me…” Jonghyun muttered and just then, Key groaned and stirred in his arms. “Ah, yeobo! Are you alright?” He helped the diva up and the latter rubbed his temple.

 

“Wh-what happened?” Key said, his voice dry. “I remembered you going out to help Taemin-ah find Minho. And then Onew- hyung came in and…” Key stopped and searched his memory for what happened after that. But to no avail. “That’s weird. I can’t remember!” Jonghyun’s eyes widened in confusion.

 

“You really can’t remember?”

 

Key shook his head sadly. “It’s really weird. I don’t think I’ve fainted before; not without any cause to it.”

 

The cause was that Goddamned poison…! Jonghyun thought and flashed an angry glance at Onew. The latter rolled his eyes and smiled mockingly. He patted his pocket to where the Love Potion was kept and it infuriated Jonghyun more. Without noticing, he let out a low growl. Key jumped in surprise.

 

“D-did you just…?”

 

“Ah! M- mianhe, Key. It’s just a little reflex… You know I didn’t mean to do it,” Jonghyun covered his mouth and tipped his head to one side. He made his puppy- dog eyes and added, “And anyways, why would I growl at you? A perfect yeobo like you shouldn’t get growled at~”

 

Key softened and giggled at Jonghyun’s explanation. “Of course I’m perfect!” he said and his hands automatically felt around his hair and he gave a squeal. “M-my hair! It’s ruined! Jonghyun, can you be a good yeobo and follow me to the restroom?” Key pouted cutely and looked up at Jonghyun. The latter’s anger towards Onew instantly vanished and his heart melted as his boyfriend stared up at him.

 

He kissed Key on the forehead and stole a glance at Onew, but the leader just smirked and went towards the table to help himself to a glass of water. “Of course, Key. Whatever you say.” And with that, the couple went out of the lounge hand in hand.

 

The smirk on Onew’s face… Jonghyun knew why. The leader had a weapon, a powerful spell that could make Key forget about what was right and wrong in that moment. Deep inside, Jonghyun hoped that he was the one to win the challenge, although his heart told him the opposite. Onew had something that could ensure his victory in the challenge while Jonghyun had none.

 

What should I do? Jonghyun thought as frustration and panic began to build up.

===

 

~Replying to comments~

@vampireme12...

Hehe of course I shall heed your question, dear! xD

And nope! He isn't even interested in Key. He's just doing it for a cost.. :)

Thanks for loving my fic~