Day II: Wavering

The Sun King

"Wakey wakey, Shim Changmin!" Yunho calls, knocking on the redwood door. A few moments of silence later, the door opens, and a ruffled Changmin appears.

"What?" he asks sleepily, opening his eyes a little more. "What time is it?"

Yunho laughs. "Time to get up. We're going places today. Did you really think that, as the host, I wouldn't plan anything fun for my guest?"

"...oh." It takes Changmin a while to process Yunho's words. "Uh, I'll just... get dressed now."

"Breakfast is downstairs," Yunho reminds before heading towards the wide staircase. Nonetheless, he stops on the second step.

What if Changmin can't find his way? What if he picks the lock and ransacks my room? What if he falls back asleep?

Sighing, Yunho turns back and resorts to waiting outside Changmin's room. It's a pretty nice room, he thinks. It used to belong to-

No, he won't go there. Suddenly, the door flies open, and Yunho jumps back a good two feet, landing in a fighting stance.

Changmin looks at him weirdly. "I thought you were eating breakfast?"

Yunho relaxes, beckoning to him. "I couldn't leave you here alone. It's the host's job to guide the guest, right?"

Behind Yunho's back, Changmin hides a smile. "I'll give you that."

Anything else he may have wanted to say is lost as they enter the dining hall. The temptation of food is too great. There are signature Sugelan dishes as well as traditional Sibanyan foods.

For a while, the only sounds are of eating, drinking, and clinking utensils. Then, Yunho pushes his chair back, wiping his mouth.

"Tell me about yourself, Shim Changmin," he prompts. Changmin dabs his lips with his heavy linen napkin, embroidered in gold thread with Yunho's initials.

"Why do you call my by my full name?" he counters. Yunho starts, then throws back his head in a carefree laugh.

"Can't I?" Yunho leans forward to look at Changmin across the table. "It feels right, Shin Changmin. I want to know what you like to do, who you are on the inside. I want to be friends."

Silence. Then, "Political enemies cannot be friends, Jung Yunho."

Yunho freezes as Changmin leaves the dining hall. His cloak flutters as the outside wind hits it. Yunho can only watch as Changmin heads into the swirling white, a rare blizzard in the land of Sibanya.


Am I moving too quickly? I feel like I might be confusing... but then again, the plot line will be explained later on