Day IV: Roaring

The Sun King

Persistent knocking wakes Changmin up the next day. Still half asleep, he stumbles to the door and opens it, revealing a fully-clothed Yunho, who looks him up and down.

"Nice pajamas," he comments teasingly. Changmin is too tired to do more than let out a scorning breath.

"Yes," he slurs, flopping back down on the bed. "I'm sure you find purple bunny shirts and pink unicorn pants very attractive. Why are you here?"

Yunho leans his weight on a table, crossing his arms. "I want to ask you something." His voice, while still casual, takes on a hard tone. Changmin sits up, running a hand through his tousled hair.

"Shoot."

Yunho takes a deep breath. "Do you know whose room this once was?"

Shivers run down Changmin's spine as Yunho's eyes smolder. "Th-the magic user," he stutters, only half-guessing. "The one who nearly destroyed the empire."

"His name," Yunho demands quietly. Changmin pauses, dropping his gaze.

"Jaejoong," he finally says, looking up again. "His name was Jaejoong."

"And he was my brother," Yunho continues in a soft voice. "He could control the weather, make it snow whenever he wanted, have the sun blaze to kill, ride the wind as it toppled homes... he was dangerous, my brother, so they killed him."

They did kill him, Changmin remembers. He remembers reading about it in his textbook, remembers his father telling him about it, remembers his tutor sighing when he asked.

"And you know the worst part?" Yunho isn't done. "He didn't even do anything harmful. He was a kid who couldn't control his powers because no one ever thought to teach him how. What about you, Changmin? Did anyone ever teach you how to contain yours?"

Changmin's head snaps up, eyes flaming, but Yunho's gaze is only sad and mocking.

"Yes," Changmin whispers. "Yes, someone taught me how."

Yunho's lips curve up in a heartbreaking smile, and Changmin's heart aches.

"He died the day you were born, Changmin," Yunho whispers, tears welling in his eyes. "Some of his powers passed onto you, but only his winter. I, through a mage, I have his summer."

"I'm a direct reincarnation of him," Changmin replies, nodding. "I already knew."

Yunho's eyes widen in surprise. Changmin notices that they are a lovely shade of chocolate brown.

"Who was your tutor?" Yunho asks hauntingly. "Could it be... no way..."

 

 

AN: oh my god guys the format changed and idk how to add authors notes OR change the font ;;;;;; but hey I decided to come back? Sorta? I mean I want to continue the story but schooool ;;;;;;