Day I: Kindling

The Sun King

"Shim Changmin, King of the Sugelan Empire."

The speaker is a dark-haired, dark-skinned man of about twenty or so years. Yunho leans forward on the arm of his chair.

"Jung Yunho, of the Sibanya Empire," he greets, holding out a hand. "Welcome, Shim Changmin."

Changmin nods stiffly. "You look to form an alliance?"

"Ah, indeed." Yunho sits back, steepling his fingers. "I think that the feud between our kingdoms has gone on for too long. An alliance, I feel, would benefit us both immensely."

After a pause, Changmin stops tracing the grain of the table. "What would we both gain from it?"

Yunho wastes no time. "Sibanya has gold, and Sugelan has silver. Other than that, Sibanya is a southern kingdom, and Sugelan is northern. Products and raw materials differ, and we each need what the other has, correct?"

It was a rhetorical question; Yunho already knows what Changmin's answer will be.

"Fine, Sugelan will ally itself with Sibanya."

Yunho smiles, dipping his pen into an inkwell. "Very well. Please sign this treaty, Shim Changmin."

Changmin spares Yunho a glance and slashes his pen across the paper. Red wax seals accompany the flourishing signatures.

"Shall I show you to your room?" Yunho suggests, guessing that Changmin probably won't be going back right away.

"Um, please, thank you." Changmin suddenly seems very awkward and shy. Yunho turns and walks down the hall, hiding a smile.

"Here we are." Changmin peers over Yunho's shoulder and lets out an involuntary gasp.

The room is all red and golden. A ruby chandelier washes the room in a wine-red shade. Curtains of heavy red velvet cover gilded windows. A four-poster bed in the corner is all red and gold silk. In another comer, plush armchairs sit around a crackling fire.

Changmin doesn't get to see anymore because Yunho shuts the door.

"Oops, sorry, that's my room," he laughs, opening the door to the room adjacent. "This one is yours."

This room is just slightly less gaudy than Yunho's, with green and silver dominating. It has a cool, cunning vibe that makes it seem somewhat alive.

Changmin is shocked out of his political stature for a moment. Yunho smiles at him,  amused, and he flushes.

"Thank you, this is very generous," Changmin manages, pulling himself together. Yunho nods, still smiling, and leaves.

Sitting down on the bed carefully, Changmin sighs. He'd promised his sister to stay in Sibanya for a week, understanding more about the kingdom. First off, that means that he's going to have to put up with Jung Yunho, who probably thinks him a joke. It also means that, later, Changmin's going to have to invite Yunho over to Sugelan for a week.

Just thinking about it makes him shudder, so he chooses to not think about it, going to sleep instead.


I'll be at camp for a month so I might not have time to update. Here's one for luck XD